Passing the written portion of the CDL Test is not very difficult if you have the proper training materials. Below you will find links to a number of different free online CDL practice tests, along with other training materials to help you prepare for truck driving school or company-sponsored CDL training. To help you prepare for your CDL training, we also have:
1. During a pre-trip inspection you should show the examiner that you can check the lighting indicators for:
A. the left and right turn signal.
B. the four-way emargency flashers.
C. the high beam headlights.
D. all of the above.
2. The horn and heater/defroster should be checked during a pre-trip inspection.
3. To check the parking brake you should:
A. apply the parking brake and make sure that it will hold the vehicle by shifting into a lower gear and gently pulling against the brake.
B. apply the parking brake and pressing the foot brake to make usre that they will work together.
C. You need not show that the parking brake works.
4. During a hydraulic brake check you must pump the brake pedal____times and then hold it down for______seconds. The brake pedal should not move (depress) for five seconds.
A. 3, 5
B. 5, 10
5. Failure to perform an air brake check will result in an automatic failur of the vehicle inspection test.
6. When checking lights and reflectors, all external and reflective equipment must be clean and functional. Light and reflector checks include:
A. headlights, dash lights, tail lights, decorative lights.
B. clearance lights, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, four-way flashers, brake lights, and red reflectors (on rear and amber reflectors everywhere else).
C. clearance lights, running lights, head and tail lights.
7. An external inspection of the steering box and hoses will include checking that the steering box is securely mounted and not leaking more than 4 ounces of fluid per hour.
8. The steering box must be securely mounted. You will check for:
A. proper paint on the box.
B. secure lighting on the steering box.
C. missing nuts, bolts, and cotter keys.
9. On the steering linkage you must check for joints and sockets that are worn or loose and that there are no missing bolts, nuts, or cotter keys.
10. The Suspension System check should include:
A. hoses, springs, mounts, brakes.
B. springs/air/torque, mounts, shock absorbers.
C. mounts, shocks, brakes.
11. It is unneccesary to check the slack adjusters when checking the brake system.
12. On some brake drums, there are openings where the brake linings can be seen from outside the drum. For this type of drum, check that:
A. a visible amount of brake lining is showing.
B. a visible amount of brake lining is not showing.
C. that the brake lining is very thin.
13. Should you be prepared to perform the same brake components inspection of every axle (power unit and trailer, if equipped)?
14. The following items must be inspected on every tire:
A. Tread depth, tire brand, and hub oil seals.
B. Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and white walls.
C. Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and spacers.
TruckingTruth's first mobile app is called "CDL Practice Test" and contains 565 challenging multiple choice questions straight out of the CDL manual. In fact, we've taken the same challenging questions we use in our High Road Training Program and packaged them up for quick access when you're on the go.
Our "CDL Practice Test" app covers the entire CDL permit exam and all of the endorsement exams. Each question includes a snippet from the CDL manual containing the answer, and as an added bonus we threw in some helpful advice from experienced drivers along the way. These practice questions will certainly challenge you and test your knowledge of the CDL manual. If you can do well on these questions, you're definitely ready for the CDL exams.
We hope you'll take a minute to check our our app. It's the best way to get a lot of practice in before test time!
(iPhone/iPad version coming soon!)