Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
Jul 28th, 2014, 12:22pm
News:

This forum is now closed. We have a new and improved trucker's forum so head on over and join us!

Pages: 1 2 
As promised a look at what guyjax makes..... (Read 12204 times)
guyjax
TruckingTruth Hall of Fame

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

As promised a look at what guyjax makes.....
Mar 20th, 2010, 12:49pm

As promised here is a settlement statement of one of my pay check break downs. Personal info edited to protect privacy and statement info edited to save of space. This is what most if not all Owner Operater settlements should look like.

Statement date: 3/16/10
Revenue
Six trips for this pay period Loaded miles: 6044 @.90 and 333 deadhead miles @ .80
Per miles total revenue $5,759.29 @.90 a mile total 6377 miles for the week……………               $5,759.29
Variable Cost is cost that changes week to week.
  Fuel. Gallons bought: 674.5 @$1.25 for a total of $843.36.      Paid MPG is 9.45                        $843.36
  2nd seat pay for the week                                                                                                    $892.72
1 gallon of oil                                                                                                                          $16.95
General Lease Reserve Contribution (maintence fund)                @.07 a mile                             $446.39
Fuel tax reserve contribution                                                            @.015 a mile                     $95.67  
Variable mileage payment                                                                  @.013 a mile                 $829.01
       Variable mileage get less the longer I stay in lease to company                                         ______
       And goes to pay for stuff like DM, support staff for my business.                                      $3,124.16
Fixed Cost does not change from week to week.
      Truck payment                                                                                                                $508.00
      Truck Insurance                                                                                                              $200.69
      License/permits                                                                                                                $46.19
Total fixed cost                                                                                                                       $754.88      
 Income for the week                                                                                                              $1880.25

Elective Deductions    extra money I have taken out to pay for taxes and unknown downtime
        Legal fees for Corporate Lawyer retainer                                                                               $2.98
        Weekly tax for tax firm                                                                                                        $27.93
        Quarterly Tax Fund                                      @.20 a mile                                                       $376.05
        Downtime Fund (used for fixed cost when truck is still for non revenue weeks)                         $127.54     @ .020 a mile.
Total elective deductions                                                                                                               $534.50
Net Check for this week       Take home. Goes in bank.                                                            $1,345.75

Reserves and Special Deduction accounts and balances
       These are the Elective deduction accounts and totals I have setup. Business accounts to run my business. This money is mine. Sort of like saving accounts.              
       These are returned to me if I terminate my lease or finish my lease minus moneys owed to settle all accounts if         money is owed at the end of lease.  
                                                    Beginning Balance                       Contribution/weekly                        New Balance
Fuel Tax Reserve                             $455.80                                        $95.67                                              $551.47
Gen Lease Reserve (fix it money)     $5,398.71                                    $446.39                                            $5,845.10
Quarterly Tax Fund                         $1,593.09                                    $376.05                                            $1,969.14
Downtime Fund- (Pays fixed cost when truck is not moving, vacation and the like)    
                                                    $1,481.83                                    $127.54                                           $1,609.37
Truck investment Fund                     $303.83                                        $63.77                                             $367.60
Totals                                            $9,233.26                                      $1,109.42                                       $10,342.68

5 Accounts to help me run my business and make sure I have the money set aside when it is needed. As each individual account reaches $10,000 the money stops coming out of my settlement and gets added to my net check.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.
If you do not like it then bite me.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
TruckerMike
TruckingTruth Administrator

Are we gunna do what
they say can't be
done?

Re: As promised a look at what guyjax makes.....
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2010, 1:33pm

GuyJax, you the man! I've always been interested to see what a lease breakdown looks like. I think you may be the first person on the history of the interweb to post it for all to see! Grin But thanks for sharing with us. Looks like you're runnin' some excellent miles. When I was with my trainer, it was rare that we got a 6,000+ mile week. Most of them were in the 5,000 range. And he had a fast truck...not a wimpy truck like mine.

They also pay on percentage of load where I work to the lease ops. I think I'd rather have a set per mile rate like you have. Too much fluctuation in the economy that drive rates up and down. The solo lease ops have had a real tough couple years, although they said as of late, the rates are coming back up and many of them are starting to do ok again.

You obviously have the correct mindset to run a successful lease. Most people have no clue how to break down their paychecks let alone setting aside separate business accounts. Heck, even my trainer just sort of played it week to week, and now he's in trouble because of it.

Well done GuyJax and I wish you continued success. Thanks again for posting!

Check out my blog: http://www.truckingtruth.com/trucking_blogs/author/truckermike

Check out my website: http://www.drive-safely.net

Check out my trucking videos: http://www.youtube.com/wigwagproductions
guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2010, 2:18pm

I have to state for all to see that this settlement is of a desent week. Week to week is never the same. Some times better some times worse. I have taken home as high as $2300.00 for my take home and have also gotten a check for -$108.00 which was my worst week cause I sat in Salt Lake City for 4 days  resigning my lease to CRE and outfitting my new truck and signing for new truck also. But even though that has been the only time I have been in the negitive I was not without a paycheck cause I had my downtime fund account to draw on and take care of bills.The pay is good when the miles are there. And remember I am on electronic logs so no cheating on log book. You can make money out here and run totally legal.  

And the most important number that is not on my settlement is my break even number. The Break Even number is the number in miles or money that you need to start making profit. My break even number I set for myself is 2200 miles a week. That pays for my brother (2nd seat) and all expenses and after that 2200 miles it becomes all profit. That is where my numbers start going over to the positive side.

As a side note: Once the economy becomes more stable(perhaps next year) and all 5 of my account reach $10,000 each I will have set aside $50,000 without even trying because those deductions are taken out before I get my settlement plus what I save in my saving and bank account and hopefully be able to get a small fleet going of 2 trucks.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

rgomez912
TruckingTruth Light Load Member

I'm just here rockin
the TruckinTruth
forum!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2010, 2:38am

Nicely done!!! How long do you suggest someone be a trucker before becoming a owner operator? I heard stories of people getting there own rig after just 1 year of trucking it with a company and end up going broke.

Rhonda
Global Moderator

I'm just here rockin
the TruckinTruth
forum!

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2010, 9:11am

Thanks gujax. You are part of the owner operators who do have it set up to cover everything and earn a living too.  There are others who don't make it because they do not have what it takes, or maybe bought a truck too early. Or other factors like not taking loads.  Interesting figures.O Thank you for sharing and this will help others who are thinking about being o/o.

rgomez912, I have been told 1 year in trucking so you can get the experiance and maybe longer too.  Some who have lost their truck are not good business people. Not everyone can run a business and make a go of it.  I started driving semi in 2001 and to this day, I am not ready for owning a truck and being gone or taking the time to find a driver who has an excellent driving record and will keep the truck CLEAN AND TAKE CARE OF IT. But I do think about it and who knows what the future holds for me if I seriously check into it.  Now I know TruckerMike is a driver who is safe and loves CLEAN vehicles, so maybe I should get a truck and have him be the driver.  Shocked Huh Cool

I'm a blogger here on TruckingTruth - check out my trucking blog! - Rhonda's Trucking Blog
View Profile   IP Logged
rgomez912
TruckingTruth Light Load Member

I'm just here rockin
the TruckinTruth
forum!

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2010, 10:55pm

Could you not be the driver of your own truck? Or does that defeat the purpose of owning your own truck to begin with  Grin. i wan't to find a company that does a lot of trucking in the snow/mountain areas since I need at least 2 years experience before I can apply to Carlile Transportations. Gona wan't to do some ice roading if I have the guts for it  undecided. Don't know if they do roads in Canada but they do have 1 terminal in Canada but they do control the ice road in Alaska.

TruckerMike

Are we gunna do what
they say can't be
done?

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2010, 11:11pm

Look into Interstate. They do a lot of Western / mountain driving.

Check out my blog: http://www.truckingtruth.com/trucking_blogs/author/truckermike

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2010, 11:50pm

Honestly in this day and age it takes someone willing to accept the risk of failing and the ability to stay one step ahead of it and the know how to juggle both at once. Owning your own truck is something I WOULD NOT recommend to anyone unless they know alot about how the trucking industry works. First year? Nope.The first year you are learning how to drive and about your job. I have been doing this 12 years and I am still learning. I would stay as a company driver at least 2 years BEFORE thinking of owning your own truck. With all the big companies out here their numbers are decieving. The big companies are only a small percentage of the over all number of trucks. And there are more Owner Ops out here than comapnies.  

Safest and most stable bet for the future? Company Driver.
Want more responsibilty and more say so in your operation and make the same as or very little more than a company driver? Get your own truck.  

I am far fom the smartest person out here on the road. I am often running beside Chicken Little yelling "The sky is falling......on trucks" Wink but I am stuborn and fast to act if something slows me down. I have to be. Companies handle stuff to slow to fit my way of seeing things. More often than not I THINK I can do it better and fast them and most times I am right but then there are those few times........ Shocked

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:06am

Now I only scanned the numbers quickly for one specific thing and this is what I found:

6377 miles for the week……………$5,759.29  
Fuel. Gallons bought: 674.5 @$1.25 for a total of $843.36.

Now according to these numbers, 6377 miles / 674 gallons = 9.5 mpg. You're averaging just about 10 mpg? And that would be if you did nothing but drive on the highways with zero idle time. I don't know how much fuel it takes to idle any more - it used to be about a gallon an hour, but if you have an APU it would be probably be half that? But regardless, there is no avoiding dozens of hours of non-highway idling per week - in and out of parking lots, getting parked, city traffic, staying warm, etc. So when you include idling, that would likely put your fuel mileage at around 11-12 mpg. TruckerMike drives about 55 mph and I believe he averages between 7 and 8 mpg overall.  

Secondly, the attached image is the US retail diesel price chart. Large companies do get a discount, but I'm not sure how much. It isn't all that much. It's significant to a trucking company or owner operator when margins are tight, but it's a single digit percentage - maybe 5% at best - because the margins that truck stops make on fuel is very, very tiny - they can't give much of a discount or they will be losing a ton of money selling tens of thousands of gallons of fuel per day at a loss. If you look at the far right edge of the chart it shows that the average retail diesel prices for March 2010 is about $2.90 nationwide. You said you're paying $1.25 which would be a 57% discount to retail. In other words, you're paying far less than half the advertised price of diesel.  

You can find diesel price info on this page: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/wohdp/diesel.asp

So I'm not sure how you're averaging like 11-12 mpg at highway speeds and paying less than one half the retail price of diesel. Can you help me with this?

Striving to put forward a positive and optimistic, yet honest view of the trucking industry
Don't miss our Trucking Blogs and our Guide to becoming a truck driver
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 10:24am

Brett when I said 9.5 paid mpg that means only miles driven during the times I was getting paid to move. My overall average MPG is 6.8 for ALL miles ran.
The 9.5 is PAID MPG. Miles I get paid for. The 6.8 mpg is total overall miles the truck has on the speedometer. Now take into account there are sometimes trips I do not need to get fuel for which increases the PAID mpg ran for that trip. So If I do a trip of 500 miles I would need 71.428 gallons to complete that trip. And if I had 80 gallons in my tanks I would not need fuel which for that trip would get me 7.0 PAID miles per gallon. Now that does not take into account of miles ran where I do not get paid like store runs or hometime or anything that I am not getting paid for. So TruckMike is doing better than me in OVERALL miles ran but I can not look at it like that. I have to break it down further because I own my truck and look at PAID mpg's AND overall mpg. There is a difference. I hope this helps explain it a little.

Check out this link.
http://www.crengland.com/drvsrv/index.jsp?page=ind_contractor_owner_fuel
This part of the website is open to the public for all to view.

On the left hand side check out and read ALL the links listed for "Independant Contractor Program". Not sure why CRE gets big discounts but we do so I am happy to pay only $1.25 per gallon for my fuel. So whatever allows CRE to get big discounts I am not sure but that what we get so your fuel graph does not hold water because there are unknowns that are not taken into account.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2010, 11:30am by guyjax »  

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #10 - Mar 24th, 2010, 6:26am

I was checking out the link you put on there. They don't give a whole lot of info - just kind of general.

That $1.25 per gallon is very odd. I've never looked into the various programs that different companies have for their owner operators, so I don't know how common it is for a company to set one straight price for fuel. But that makes me quite suspicious. I mean, they're not paying $1.25 for fuel, and they're not just taking the hit and reselling fuel to you guys at a loss. I know they're doing that to simplify the calculations for drivers, and trick the less-business-savy guys into thinking they're getting a bargain. But I suspect they are recouping their costs elsewhere by overcharging for other services to you guys. Maybe they sell you guys tires at a discount to retail, but they're still making a profit by reselling you the tires at a slightly higher price than they are paying at wholesale - same with insurance, tags, repairs, etc - things like that.  

Large companies and governments have absolutely brilliant accountants and they devise schemes to make things appear like a bargain to distract you from the real cost of things. I mean, look at the cell phone carriers - they all do it. My "family plan" for my cell phone is advertised at $167/month. Sounds great for 4 people, eh??? The actual bill I get after all additional charges are tacked on? $250. Nice. They advertise a low price and add in all sorts of hidden or obscure charges elsewhere and in the end you pay a fortune.  

Canada has "National Healthcare" - free healthcare for everyone - woohoo!!! Of course the citizens are not getting free healthcare - they pay for it everyday in higher taxes on every item they buy throughout the country. So it isn't free - you're just paying for it indirectly instead of directly.  

That's what's happening with $1.25 for fuel. You're paying $1.25 directly, but CRE recoups it indirectly through profiting on other items. They make your biggest expense - fuel - look cheap! WooHoo! Cheap fuel!! Then they take a cut of profits on everything else you get through them.  

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you track your paid MPG? Overall MPG of course is obvious, but not the paid MPG. Is that just one of the ways of breaking down how you're using fuel so you can try to be more efficient with fuel usage? Do you break down your fuel usage into categories like paid MPG, overall MPG, idling gallons, etc? I could see breaking down your fuel usage to try and determine areas where you could use fuel more efficiently, but I can't see how paid MPG by itself would be a useful figure.

Striving to put forward a positive and optimistic, yet honest view of the trucking industry
guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #11 - Mar 25th, 2010, 2:37pm

As stated before I do not know how they get the fuel discounts. Sure they are hiden cost where they make up for it. No doubt about it. I think it has something to do with what I saw a fuel weeks back. A non dsiscript fuel truck pulled into our yard in SLC and when the driver got out and had the fuel island sign for it, Flying J was at the top on the paperwork and since that company is based out of Utha.....*shrugs*. Think it has alot to do with the amount we pay each week for our trucks. Higher than most I believe.

The reason I track everything concerning fuel mileage is so I know where I might need to improve. Just like this trip I am on now. I am going from LA,CA to Orlando,FL.Thats 2499 miles and getting paid $2244 for this load. Now the PAID MPG involves trips only. For this trip in  order for me to maitain 7.0 PAID MPG I have to be able to do the trip with 357 gallons. If I buy more than that then I was not managing my fuel like I should and if I have to buy more fuel it lowers the amount of money I put into my pocket for that trip. So if I use less fuel than the 357 gallons I need I make more money.
2499 miles div 7.0 PMPG = 357.
Now if I can raise it to 7.1 or higher means less fuel I have to buy = more money.
Now ALL miles on speedodmeter includes miles also that I do not get paid.  
PAID MPG is what I get paid for on a trip. Does all miles really count if you do not get paid for them? Not really.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2010, 4:26am

I would guess the bottom line would be to know your average break-even cost per mile for all miles run - regardless of loaded, deadhead, or empty - including all costs combined - insurance, repairs, etc.  

Have you done a running total over say the past several months or since you've gotten this new truck to see what (all revenues - all costs) divided by (miles) would be?  

Do you have an APU? If so, how much fuel does it use per hour?

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2010, 12:48pm

No APU. Can't justify the money verses downtime. Don't sit still long enough to make it worth my while.

My break even pint is 2200 miles. Thats $1980 dollars a week. After that it starts turning to profit. Now in that 2200 miles that pays for truck payment, insurence and 2nd seat. Everything else gets paid for out of profit like most overhead does. The 2200 miles takes care of cost I can do nothing about.

More miles means more 2nd seat and fuel pay and my other 5 business accounts but those cost mean more pay to these or less pay to these depending on the amount of miles I run each week.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

TruckerMike

Are we gunna do what
they say can't be
done?

Reply #14 - Mar 28th, 2010, 11:12am

I know at my company, fuel cost is on contract with the various truck stops (we use Pilot, TA, Loves, and Petro along with some random smaller stops and use Comdata for the fuel card). Generally, our fuel price is on a "cost, plus" contract. This seems to fluctuate throughout the year, but generally it is around cost plus 2 percent. I have no idea what the actual cost is for fuel at these truck stops. Truck stops make very, very little money on fuel especially from the large carriers. They make most of their money from store sales as well as renting out spaces to fast food joints. A truck stop is a tough business indeed.

Our lease drivers get a fuel surcharge that changes every week depending on the countries average fuel cost. I think the surcharge right now is in the $1.40 range. Not 100% sure on that as I don't pay much attention to those messages.

I agree with not having an APU on a team truck. Running team, there is no reason to spend all that money on an APU. From what I hear, the APU's we have only use 1gal of fuel every 6 hours. So there are some substantial savings there. But these APU's are a pain in the butt with breakdowns, having to get PM's on them, etc. I think it's probably good for a solo operation, but I doubt the savings on a team truck would ever catch up to the initial cost and installation of the unit, let alone the maintenance.

In my 2007 Freightliner Century, during the good times (pre blown head gasket), I was getting about 7.4mpg doing 53 to 56mph. During the bad times (post blown head gasket), I struggled to maintain 6.5mpg doing 53mph. Even empty, I could barely keep 6.75mpg.

I now have a 2008 Century and am still trying to get acquainted with how to drive this thing for optimal fuel mileage. It doesn't help that we are currently in the switch from the winter blend fuel (poorer fuel mileage) to the summer blend fuel (better fuel mileage). But it seems like with this truck, I actually get my optimum fuel mileage around 60mph...which I am EXTREMELY happy about! I've been running at the governor (62mph) the last couple days with 44,375lbs in the box and getting right around 7.0mpg. I've been driving West into some pretty heavy winds so that 7.0mpg is pretty darn good. I was actually passing people! I forgot what the view was like in the left lane! Grin But let me tell ya, I hate running at the governor.  After my experiment is over, I'm going to try 58mph and see how it works there. I can't stand having nothing left for passing, etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in some of the fuel info I've come across. As always, I went overboard with my post...haha.

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #15 - Mar 28th, 2010, 1:13pm

I know you have heard people say "I can get 6.8 at 70 the same at 60 mph." To this I call BS. Its a matter of phyics. The faster you go the more fuel you use.It cost more fuel to get up to the higher speeds.  

Mike I am sure you have a Detroit 60 series under that hood. If you keep your speed about 57 to 60 miles an hour you wil get pretty good fuel mileage.
DD15 engines rock. Good staying power on the hills and uses less fuel on the flats.  
I know in this truck if I stay at 58 to 60 miles an hour I routinely get over 8.0 in fuel but I have a DD15 though.
Soon I will be getting Air Tabs to put on my truck. Increases stability in windy conditions and can increase fuel mileage as much as .4 to .5 a mile.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #16 - Mar 29th, 2010, 8:15am

Well, the slower you go the less wind you're pushing through, so in general that gives you better fuel mileage overall at lower speeds. But the other huge factors in attaining the optimum fuel mileage are the engine's fuel injection computer program, the gear ratio, and tire inflation pressure. So it's possible to get better fuel mileage at 60 than at 57 if there's something in the gearing or the fuel injection chip that's causing this.  

Low air pressure in your drives combined with a heavy load will decrease the effective circumference of the tires, increasing your speedometer reading slightly above what you're actually running. It makes it "appear" to the truck that your road speed is faster than what it is - but this is a VERY tiny factor - more of an interesting point to consider than a practical one. Low tire pressures create more drag - that's the primary benefit of higher tire pressure on fuel mileage. Out of curiosity, I wonder if anyone has done any testing to see what the effect on fuel mileage would be with super high pressure tires that flex very, very little and create a much smaller contact patch? I wouldn't want to be next to one if it blew, but the same goes for gasoline and propane tankers!  Grin

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2010, 12:42pm

My company recommends 100 psi in the tires. HUH!!!!??????? Tire specs on the sidewall says 110 psi cold which will inflate to 120 psi once they get hot.

Interesting that you mentioned the tire pressure Brett. Though I kept no numbers on this I ran for awhile at 100 psi and now I run at 115psi cold and picked up about a little over a tenth (.125 according to our shops computer) mpg with increased psi. The reason tires effect fule mileage so much is the rolling resistance. Tires flex as they go down the road over bumps and rough roads and even smooth roads. The more you can do to make the rubber stiff the more you remove the the rolling resistance. The reason you get better feul mileage as the tires start to wear down is because the "soft" rubber is no longer there to "flex" and you are riding on harder rubber. Basicly once your tires began to get broke in they stay more true round than oval shaped making for a less resistant ride.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

TruckerMike

Are we gunna do what
they say can't be
done?

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2010, 6:45pm

Yup, not only is it physics, but higher speeds means your keeping your RPM's higher. The more the engine rotates, the more fuel you're using. And one huge, huge, huge factor is wind. That can kill your fuel mileage even when you're empty.

With my last truck, the only time I'd run at higher speeds is through the hills. Down shifting on a hill is KILLER for fuel mileage. So if I see a steep hill approaching, I'll lay into it ahead of time and try to pull the hill without down shifting. Doesn't always work, but usually I can tell. If I do need to down shift for a hill, I just find a gear that will pull it at 1100RPM's and hold it there. I've actually been able to increase my fuel mileage in the hills by pulling up at 1100rpm's, then goin' for a ride downhill as fast as my truck will roll or as fast as the speed limit will allow. My company also tells us to bog the engine down when climbing. Don't down shift until it's ready to stall. Shocked I can't imagine that's real great on the engine. Lastly, in hilly terrain,  I keep the cruise off. I kind of mix it up with cruise and my foot. On the flats, cruise is always on. But in the hills, cruise control can kill fuel mileage.

The truck I have now is definitely geared differently and the computer is also programmed differently. It has taken a lot of control away from me. Like if I'm going downhill and I'm going over 55mph, it wont accelerate until I'm back on flat ground or going uphill. Even the slightest of hills will cut the acceleration off. I also only get 58 on the fuel pedal now and 62 on the cruise. I used to get 62 either way. Kinda crappy.

In any case, I'm still learning this truck. Once they have totally switched over to the summer fuel blend I'll be able to get more accurate data.

Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #19 - Mar 30th, 2010, 8:09am

Quote:
The more the engine rotates, the more fuel you're using.

Actually, an engine gets maximum fuel mileage at peak torque RPM - which is usually around 1100 - or used to be - of course we used to run steam engines back then so maybe that's changed  Grin It would also depend on the quality of the coal in the boiler.

But run it at peak torque and you'll usually get peak fuel mileage. And peak torque is when it pulls the hardest. Peak torque is usually defined as the engines most efficient RPM. In other words, the engine burns fuel most efficiently and thoroughly at that RPM so it produces maximum thrust (torque) for each cylinder firing.  

The speed of the airflow through the ports will determine how well the fuel is atomized in the cylinder. The finer it's atomized, the more surface area is available to the flame as it propagates through the cylinder, and the less fuel goes unburned.  

Think of it like cooking on the grill. If you have a huge hamburger and you put it on a hot flame for 30 seconds, the outside will cook well but the inside won't cook at all. If you put ground beef on the grill for 30 seconds, a much larger percentage of the beef will cook.  

That's atomization of the fuel - and you get maximum atomization and fuel burn at one particular RPM based on the airflow characteristics within the cylinder and the amount of time the fuel has to burn before the next cycle.  

If you don't believe me, just ask one of the mechanics at the shop and they'll confirm it with a "uhhhhhhhh........what???" - That's mechanic speak for "That's right!"

Asphalt_Cowboy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2010, 10:59pm

I am curious and I think this might be a stupid question but I just can't help it... Is this breakdown for just one driver or for team driving?

IP Logged
Brett Aquila - Admin

Puttin' it to ya
straight-up

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2010, 3:54am

That's a breakdown for a team truck.

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #22 - Apr 19th, 2010, 7:12am

yes this is for a team truck. My co-drivers pay for this week listed was $892.72. Of course that was before taxes.

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

guyjax

I'm am a
TruckingTruth GOD!

Reply #23 - Jul 27th, 2010, 6:38pm

Just an update to this post for year to date. Without going into to much detail I am 24% above where I was last year in miles and 23.95% above in gross pay than last year and 24% above average on miles and pay compared to other Owner Operator drivers as of May 30th at the time of the statement for my P/L statement.(Profit/Lose)

I am me.
Nothing more.
Nothing less.

msfern29
TruckingTruth Heavy Load Member

mornin'

Reply #24 - Jul 27th, 2010, 9:25pm

Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm going for company driver for at least 5 years. I feel I will need at least that long to have a understanding of the Basics of the industry, much less the details involved in running your own. but a friend has suggested I keep my mind open after that time to being an owner operator. I doubt I will, but thank you so much for sharing your information!

Fern
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2