Delaware CDL Practice Test

We've broken our Delaware CDL practice tests into 16 categories which will cover the entire CDL permit exam, all of the CDL endorsement exams, and your job duties as a driver.

  • Delaware Driving Rules & Regulations

    Driving Rules And Regulations will cover the basics like who needs a CDL, CDL classifications, CDL reqiurements and disqualifications, and why special CDL endorsements are sometimes required.

  • Delaware Transporting Cargo Safely

    Transporting Cargo will cover the different terms related to truck and cargo weights, driver responsibilities regarding overweight trucks, the safe loading of cargo, and cargo securement.

  • Delaware Safe Driving

    Safe Driving will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection, basic control and backing, speed and lane control, managing space around your vehicle, and driving in poor weather conditions.

  • Delaware Transporting Passengers

    Transporting Passengers is required for the passenger endorsement and will cover the basics of a pre-trip inspection for a bus, loading and securing passenger cargo, and school bus safety.

  • Delaware School Bus

    The School Bus Endorsement is required in some states for driving a school bus. This section covers loading and unloading passengers safely, bus inspection, and regulations for passenger transport.

  • Delaware Air Brakes

    Air Brakes will cover the various parts of an air brake system, air brake inspection, proper braking techniques, the differences between air brakes and hydraulic brakes, and stopping distance.

  • Delaware Combination Vehicles

    Combination Vehicles is a requirement for driving a tractor trailer and will cover combination vehicle air brakes, coupling and uncoupling trailers, and combination vehicle air brake inspection.

  • Delaware Doubles And Triples

    Doubles And Triples is an endorsement needed to pull double trailers or triple trailers and will cover coupling and uncoupling of doubles and triples, inspection, and air brake tests.

  • Delaware Tankers

    Tankers is a required endorsement to pull tanker trailers or large totes of liquid and will cover the pre-trip inspection of tankers, tanker loading, and safe driving for tankers.

  • Delaware Hazardous Materials

    Hazardous Materials is an endorsement required to pull hazardous cargo and covers labels and placards, loading and unloading hazardous materials, parking and routing, and emergency response.

  • Delaware Pre-Trip Inspection

    Pre-Trip Inspection will cover the inspection of the outside of the truck, the air brake system, inspection of the trailer, engine start and check, and driver responsibilities.

  • Delaware Driving Exam

    Driving Exam will cover the reqiurements for passing the CDL driving exam, the CDL driving exam scoring system, upgrades and downgrades, and the basics of the driving exam itself.

  • Delaware Logbook Rules

    Logbook Rules is not a requirement for the CDL permit or endorsements but it's critical for doing your job. This is a very thorough section which covers all of the rules governing the logbook.

  • Delaware Weight Distribution

    Weight Distribution is not a requirement for the permit or endorsements but is critical for doing your job. It will cover cargo loading, weight distribution, fuel calculations, and center of gravity.

  • Delaware Flatbed Cargo Securement

    Flatbed Cargo Securement is not required unless you're pulling a flatbed. This section covers tiedown components, securing devices, working load limits, and requirements for different types of freight.

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

Delaware CDL Resources

Here are more resources related to getting your CDL in Delaware:

Requirements to Obtain a Delaware Commercial Learner's Permit

  • Be 18 years of age with 1 year driving experience for driving intrastate
  • Be 21 years of age (with at least 1 year driving experience) to drive interstate Commerce or to transport hazardous materials
  • Delaware resident
  • Not denied, suspended, disqualified, revoked or cancelled in Delaware or any other state
  • Able to obtain medical certification under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Under Part 391.41
  • All Delaware School Bus Drivers are required to have a CDL license and to meet additional Delaware Department of Education (DOE) school bus training and medical requirements. Once all CDL and DOE requirements are met, DMV may issue a CDL license with a P and an S endorsement as well as an M or N restriction, contingent upon the vehicle class
  • Those drivers holding a CDL learner's permit must be accompanied by a licensed CDL driver when operating a commercial motor vehicle that the driver is being trained to operate

Procedures to Obtain a Delaware Commercial Learner's Permit

  • Complete and sign an application for the CDL license. By signing this application you certify you are providing correct personal information and an accurate driving history and you also consent to submit to chemical tests for controlled substances
  • Next you will take the necessary knowledge tests to qualify for the proper CDL license. Section 1.1 on Page 1-2 explains which written tests you will take for the vehicle you intend to drive
  • Once the appropriate knowledge exams are passed, a fee of $5.00 will be assessed and you will be issued a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) which will allow you to drive a CMV, accompanied by another licensed CDL driver. You may only drive the type vehicle for which you have tested and only with a CDL driver qualified in the same type CMV
  • There is a Delaware Commercial Driver's manual which covers the CDL requirements, CDL procedures, testing requirements, and the basic knowledge required to obtain a CDL license. The manual is available for no cost at any Division facility

What are Delaware's Identification/Residency Requirements to apply for a Commercial Learner's Permit?

You'll need to provide one document to prove your identity/legal status, one document to prove your social security number, and two documents to prove your Delaware residency. Examples are listed below. You can get more detailed information on requirements at the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles website.

  • Identity/Legal Status Documents Accepted
    • Certificate of birth (U.S. issued). Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Office of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health. Please note that wallet cards, birth registration or hospital announcements/records are not accepted.
    • Consular report of birth abroad
    • Certificate of Naturalization
    • Valid passport, U.S. If foreign, appropriate INS document also is required
  • Social Security Number Documents Accepted
    • Social Security card
    • W-2 tax form
    • SSA 1099 form
    • SSA Non-1099 form
  • Residency Documents Accepted
    • Utility Bills
    • Credit Card Statement
    • Auto or Life Insurance policies
    • Voter Registration Cards

What is the Cost to get a Delaware Commercial Learner's Permit?

  • CDL (8yr) - $48.00
  • CDL with Hazmat (5yr) - $30.00
  • CDL each Additional Endorsement - $5.00

Commercial Medical Examination

To get the Medical Examiner’s Certificate you must be examined by a licensed medical examiner to determine if you are physically qualified to operate a CMV. Licensed medical examiners include, Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), Physician Assistant (PA) and the Advanced Practice Nurse (APN). You are responsible for bringing your certificate paperwork with you to your appointment with the examiner.

All commercial motor vehicle drivers must have a physical performed by a medical examiner listed on National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners

The paperwork can be obtained at the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles Website. This paperwork should be printed and taken to your appointment with your medical examiner. The forms need to be completed in their entirety by the medical examiner at the time of your appointment.

Physical Qualifications for Drivers - If you do not meet requirements of 49 CFR §391.41 Physical Qualifications for Drivers, you may be able to obtain a Delaware intrastate only restricted CDL medical waiver, if otherwise qualified to drive a motor vehicle (excluding transporting passengers or hazardous materials)

Testing Locations and Hours

All CDL knowledge tests are by walk-in only and can be completed at any division facility listed below:

  • New Castle: 2101 Mid County Drive - 302.326.5000
  • Dover: 303 Transportation Circle - 302.744.2500
  • New Castle: 2230 Hessler Boulevard - 302.434.3200
  • Georgetown: 23737 DuPont Blvd - 302.853.1000

What Information is on the Test for the Delaware Commercial Learner's Permit?

At a minimum an applicant will complete the General Knowledge test. Depending on the class of license or endorsements you are applying for, there may be additional testing.

The CDL knowledge tests include:

  • The general knowledge test, taken by all applicants
  • The passenger transport test, taken by all bus driver applicants
  • The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes
  • The combination vehicles test, which is required if you want to drive combination vehicles
  • The hazardous materials test, required if you want to haul hazardous materials as defined in CFR, Title 49 §383.5. In order to obtain this endorsement, you are also required to pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check
  • The tank vehicle test, required if you want to haul any liquid or gaseous materials in a tank or tanks having an individual rated capacity of more than 119 gallons and an aggregate rated capacity of 1,000 gallons or more that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis
  • The doubles/triples test, required if you want to pull double or triple trailers.
  • The school bus test, required if you want to drive a school bus

How long is the Commercial Learner's Permit Valid?

A CDL learner's permit is valid for six months. You can extend the CDL learner's permit only once for an additional six months. You must apply for an extension at DMV before the expiration date and pay a $5.00 fee.

Military Test Waiver

The Commercial Driver License (CDL) skills test waiver form may be used by service members who are currently licensed and who are or were employed within the past year (12 months) in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). This waiver allows a qualified service member to apply for a CDL without skills testing. CDL knowledge (written) test(s) cannot be waived. The transfer of School Bus(S) and/or Passenger (P) endorsements under this Waiver Program are prohibited.

Join Us!

We have an awesome set of tools that will help you understand the trucking industry and prepare for a great start to your trucking career. Not only that, but everything we offer here at TruckingTruth is 100% free - no strings attached! Sign up now and get instant access to our member's section:
High Road Training Program Logo
  • The High Road Training Program
  • The High Road Article Series
  • The Friendliest Trucker's Forum Ever!
  • Email Updates When New Articles Are Posted

Apply For Paid CDL Training Through TruckingTruth

Did you know you can fill out one quick form here on TruckingTruth and apply to several companies at once for paid CDL training? Seriously! The application only takes one minute. You will speak with recruiters today. There is no obligation whatsoever. Learn more and apply here:

Apply For Paid CDL Training

About Us

TruckingTruth was founded by Brett Aquila (that's me!), a 15 year truck driving veteran, in January 2007. After 15 years on the road I wanted to help people understand the trucking industry and everything that came with the career and lifestyle of an over the road trucker. We'll help you make the right choices and prepare for a great start to your trucking career.

Read More

Becoming A Truck Driver

Becoming A Truck Driver is a dream we've all pondered at some point in our lives. We've all wondered if the adventure and challenges of life on the open road would suit us better than the ordinary day to day lives we've always known. At TruckingTruth we'll help you decide if trucking is right for you and help you get your career off to a great start.

Learn More