New! High Road 2.0! We have a new version of this program. You can find it here: High Road 2.0
10.5 Coach/Transit Bus
- Check that entry doors operate smoothly and close securely from the inside.
- Check that hand rails are secure and, if equipped, that the step light(s) are working.
- Check that the entry steps are clear, with the treads not loose or worn excessively.
- If equipped with a handicap lift, look for any leaking, damaged or missing parts, and explain how it should be checked for correct operation.
- Lift should be fully retracted and latched securely.
- Make sure all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside.
- Check that any emergency exit warning devices are working.
- Look for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.
- Check that seat cushions are attached securely to the seat frames.
- Check that entry/exit doors are not damaged and operate smoothly from the outside. Hinges should be secure with seals intact.
- Make sure the passenger exit mirrors and all external mirrors and mirror brackets are not damaged and are mounted securely with no loose fittings.
External Inspection of Coach/Transit Bus
Check that the vehicle is sitting level (front and rear), and if air-equipped, check for audible air leaks from the suspension system.
Check that the fuel tank(s) is secure with no leaks from tank(s) or lines.
Check that baggage and all other exterior compartment doors are not damaged, operate properly and latch securely.
- Wherever located, check that battery(s) is secure, connections are tight, and cell caps are present.
- Battery connections should not show signs of excessive corrosion.
- Check that battery box and cover or door is not damaged and is secure.
Remainder of Coach/Transit Bus
Refer to Section 10.2 for detailed inspection procedures regarding wheels.
Remember, the Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection must be passed before you can proceed to the Basic Vehicle Control Skills Exam
While pointing to each part, tell the examiner: "The door should be properly secured, not bent, broken, or damaged. The hand rail should also be properly mounted and secured, not bent, cracked, or broken."
Physically check the emergency exits while telling the examiner: "The emergency exit should not be broken and should operate smoothly. All warning devices should be functioning properly."
Physically check the seats while telling the examiner: "All seats should be properly mounted and secured, firmly attached to the floor, and not damaged. All seat cushions need to be attached securely to the seat frames."
While checking the mirrors and doors, you should physically open and close the door. Tell the examiner: "Mirror and mirror brackets should be mounted securely, not cracked or broken, no loose fittings, and the mirrors should be clean. The doors must open and close properly, hinges should be secure, not cracked, bent, or broken, and the door seal should be in good condition with no tears or damage."
Walk around the bus and tell the examiner: "I am looking for signs of air leakage, such as the bus leaning to one side, and am also listening for any escaping air which would indicate the possibility of an air leak."
Point out the fuel tank and tell the examiner: "The fuel tank should be properly mounted and secured, the fuel cap should be on tight with no leaks, and there should be no signs of leaks under the tank."
You should physically check the baggage storage areas while telling the examiner: "I am making sure all baggage storage areas are properly mounted and the doors are not damaged."
Point out the location of the battery box, then tell the examiner: "The battery box should be properly mounted and secured. The battery should not show any signs of excessive corrosion and should not be leaking."