Comments By Garrett J.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks.jpg avatar

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

I did the agility test last week and am now on TNT. It’s separate from the DOT physical. All they made us do was pick up a tarp and put it on a shelf then take it back down. No box lifting or anything else. Everyone did it no problem. Hope this helps.

Are they currently doing hair follicle tests?

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Most of your reasoning is not based on reality.

In theory, flatbed would get fewer miles because of the securement. However, and if Kearsey jumps in, she can verify this, but, on average, you spend a lot longer waiting at the shipper and receiver with reefer than it does to take me even my longest securement.

As far as busy or slow season, if you look at the DAT load boards flatbed ALWAYS has more loads per available track in any other division. And it completely went off the charts during the covid pandemic. So, while there is a supposed Slow season in the winterhave never slowed down in the past year at all in any way shape or form.

Good to know... interesting too. Thanks for that Chief.

Hey, on a really unrelated note... this scary scenario just popped into my head: driving for 10 hours in almost total silence.

For the vast majority of TNT, you're driving while your trainer's back there sleeping- then you trade, correct? So since one person is always sleeping (or trying to) the driver cant play music/podcasts/audiobooks/whatever though the speakers. Can you listen with your headset?

I'm a musician and music is a pretty big deal for me. Not being able to listen to anything while driving for about 10 hours sounds pretty unpleasant.

Not asking Chief in particular, asking anybody. Didn't want to start a brand new topic for such an insignificant topic, so I figured I'd just ask here.

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Best to err on the side of caution, instead of throwing it to the wind.

Yep, my thinking exactly.

Yes, already got my class A. Went to a private school.

Prime does $1400 in tuition reimbursement as long as you get to orientation within 45 days of getting your license. Unfortunately, looks like I wont be making the deadline. :(

WE does up to $6000 in tuition reimbursement. Pretty badass huh

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Just wondering how Garrett was going to be trained, if he went with Western. Appreciate your input. They are a 'saving Grace' in this industry, even if it's just IMHO....!

~ Anne ~

Having my cdl already, it would be 3-4 days unpaid orientation and 1-4 weeks teaming with a trainer. How long it takes depends on you. $650/week gross. There's a road test between orientation and training.

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

I'm still wondering if Western Express is back to 'training' again, since the tornado ( any intel? ) . . . Garrett never 'did' say. Hmm..

By 'training' do you mean paid cdl school, or cdl but no experience training like TNT as prime calls it? They're doing "TNT" for sure. Not sure about the other. Just emailed my recruiter.

Damn voice-to-text.

Flatbed is a lot cooler to pick that.

Seriously, Garrett . . . I agree, as does my other half. It just wasn't for us.. we liked tanks better, back in the day.

Flatbedders are a 'breed' of their own; the camaraderie still exists; and he's (we've) noticed that fact... even HERE!

WHAT'S HOLDING YOU BACK?

SweetLew just left 12 years driving in the Army, and went Prime C'seat TNT...flatbed!! If the price of the 'tools' are spooking you.... quit thinking on that!

Just my 2 cents, as always! If I were you, I'd go skateboarding!!

Less wait times, better scheduling, idk... on and on and on.

Again, just me.

~ Anne ~

No, the tools isn't holding me back anymore. I suppose what's holding me back is:

I think refer might just be the better start for a rookie. Brett has an article on here where he says dry van or refer is definitely the better way in over flatbed for rookies... just more simplicity, less dangerous & less stress on top of an already very stressful experience. Its his opinion of course, but it makes sense and I agree with it.

Plus, for Prime, refer drivers get more miles on average and see a little more of the country apparently. From what I've gathered, at Prime all the divisions make about the same at the end of the day...so that means more hard work and stress doing flatbed for just a bit more if not the same I'd make doing refer.

Also, if the economy crashes hard soon- that would have a pretty dramatic effect on flatbed work, but not so much at all on refer. *Has the increase in the prices of building materials lately and these mysterious "product shortages" already had an effect on flatbed work, by chance?

I would be starting out in flatbed moving into the slow season for that division.

What's interesting though is that I'm definitely feeling "pulled" toward flatbed for some reason, despite how logic is telling me to go refer. Like its a gut feeling/intuition thing. Maybe its just that flatbed sounds more exciting and stimulating whereas refer sounds pretty boring. I've always done better at jobs that were exciting, dynamic and non-routine. Routine and complacency destroys me. Its that quality that inadvertently led me down the path to become a chef- something I NEVER thought I'd become. Just the thought of having an office cubicle job has always depressed the s*** out of me.

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Im having such a hard time choosing between refer or flatbed. Its ridiculous.

I feel like I'm never gonna be able to decide and am gonna have to just flip a coin

confused.gif

Prime's physical test for flatbed division

Can anybody on the inside at Prime confirm if part of their DOT physical for the flatbed division currently consists of:

Picking up a box that weighs 100 lbs and lifting it to your chest, and taking a rolled tarp off a 6 ft shelf, putting it on the ground, then putting it back on the shelf?

How much does the tarp weigh?

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

Garrett, allow me to play a little game with you. It's just for fun and maybe we can both learn something.

Assume you are the owner of a flatbed trucking company. You are having trouble with your drivers calling the terminal and claiming they need to be routed in to a terminal to pick up a new set of tarps. Somebody stole theirs off the truck last night at the truck stop. Or maybe their straps keep getting stolen. It's really starting to irritate you, because it is costing you a lot of money. How do you handle that situation?

Ohhhhhh I see....

...I would make them pay for the equipment so they stop selling the free stuff on the flatbed securement equipment black market. Lol

Ok. It all makes sense now.rofl-3.gif

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

There are other companies that do. Look at r&l carriers for city p&d I’ve heard they make them buy there own pallet jack. Just what I’ve heard.

Pretty shady on Prime's part if you ask me. But hey, I guess that's one way they get away with paying a little higher than the average. Always a trade-off.

What's shady about it? I'm not seeing anything I'd call shady.

Laura

Referring to how they make you pay for the equipment. No other company does that. I guess it's not too shady to make you to pay if its brand new, but if they already own it they should just give it to you and make you pay for any lost or damaged items.

Just the pallet jack? Well, that's not EVERYTHING the driver needs to perform their job.

I just think a better way to go about it would be: each flatbed trailer has its own designated set of equipment that stays with it and if any additional equipt is needed for a job, the company provides it. If the driver wants additional equipment that isn't necessary, they provide it. If any of the equipment is damaged or lost, the driver pays for repairs and replacements.

I don't think there should be any costs to an employee to perform a job they were hired to perform other than the time the job costs them. Different story for independent contractors and O/Os of course. Just my opinion.

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

What's shady about it? I'm not seeing anything I'd call shady.

Laura

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

As far as securement equipment the cost is about $4,000 that they take it out in each paycheck at $75. But you generally tarp at least one load a week and the tarp pay is at least $80. So, you will at least recoup the cost of the equipment in tarp pay.

Thanks SO much for that info. I almost decided on refer instead of flatbed for that reason, but now its back on the table.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

More Rookie Friendly: Reefer or Flatbed?

Starting with Prime next week, but haven't quite decided on reefer or flatbed yet, though I'm leaning towards flatbed.

Which is more rookie-friendly & why?

Which is a better introduction to the industry as a whole, and why?

Do flatbed drivers actually make a little more than reefer drivers on average across the board?

Does it ever get so slow for flatbed that there aren't any loads available for you for a few days, or longer?

I'm leaning towards flatbed since I'm young, physically fit, and don't mind physical labor or working outdoors. But honestly mainly because you're sleeping schedule is so irregular and inconsistent with reefer. Or, is it really that bad?

What do y'all think? What are the pros and cons of each?

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

So I've decided on Prime!

Currently trying to decide on OTR reefer or OTR flatbed now and totally on the fence.

I'm not lazy in the slightest, don't mind hard physical labor, and love working and being outside. So maybe flatbed is for me. But apparently you pay for thousands of dollars worth of securement equipment at prime...so that's not cool.

Is there any truth in that you're sleeping schedule might be more consistent and regular with otr flatbed?

Western Express 3-4 weeks training sufficient?

You're current schedule sounds pretty sweet man. How much experience did it take to get a nice schedule like that? Just out of curiosity

I pretty much ran that schedule right off the bat. Because the boat loads were easy, I could settle into a good schedule. Now ,there are some weeks where I spend more time securing, but for the most part the schedule works well for me and my FM. It's nice for me and predictable for my FM.

You're home during your 34 hour reset, correct?

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Based on this data is this a good company?

Yes, it sure is, that's why we keep telling you on all these different topics you start to go with a large, well-established company that offers paid, company sponsored training.

How many times should we keep recommending this to you?

You can blame the canadian dude from the Smart Trucking Youtube channel for getting it into my head, lol.

1099 companies

Thanks for the input and advice everyone. Really good stuff. I'm learning a lot.

Hi Garrett,

There is a right way and a wrong way 1099 companies are run. If your going to work as an independent contractor you need to have some kind of risk. What i mean is you need to own or be leasing the truck, paying for fuel, paying for repairs...something. The reason is because of taxes. Your going to be making estimated quarterly tax payments and if you don't know what you're doing your going to end up with a 5 figure tax bill come end of the year. I don't want to get too much into it, but the reason you need some kind of risk is because of write offs, which saves you a ton on taxes.

If your just jumping into a truck that the company pays for, you don't pay for fuel, all you do is drive the truck then the company is basically paying you employee wages while not giving you employee benefits, it's just that simple.

One of the dispatchers did say "You get to write everything off though." ...so would you say this company is doing things more the right way?

Regardless, I shall call them tomorrow and get all the details.

I'll most likely just go with Prime though. I was only considering this company since what I've been reading about trying to find a good, wholesome, driver-friendly small to medium sized carrier that's doing it all the right way to work for- if you can... but apparently this company is not doing it all the right way and is in fact doing something illegal.

I have noticed they've switch insurance companies a lot in a short amount of time, used to go by a different name until recently, and seem to have several different addresses. They're just all over the place.

1099 companies

Considering a smaller, private, local company, but just found out today that their drivers are all 1099.

I understand the basics of what this means, but anyone care to elaborate on exactly how this would affect the job on a day-to-day basis & the more long-term effects of it?

Anyone have any experience working for such a company?

Is it a red flag? Should these companies be avoided? Could it have its positive aspects?

I find it suspicious that they didn't reveal this information until after I already put in an app and approached them in person with questions and probably wouldn't have even disclosed it until i accepted the job.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Does prime currently do hair follicle test?

That, and I have a tendency to scroll past the thread subject too quickly. My bad.

All good brotha!

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Does prime currently do hair follicle test?

Knight does both - hair and urinalysis - for pre-employment.

I'm asking if Prime, Inc does good sir, not Knight.