Profile For Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~

Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~'s Info

Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~'s Bio

Been in the restaurant business my whole life, up into now. I have always wanted to become a truck driver, but food was my passion. After decades in the industry, I am now on to this new chapter.

Attitude is everything, pick a good one.

Mark O. ~MiNi-Me~'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

ELDT: Am I understanding this right?

Indeed, wish I had the availability of winter driving with my trainer. I'd actually recommend starting now

Agreed wholeheartedly. The fact that my second trainer (first was a dud) said while I was driving I80 Cheyenne-Laramie last week "I've never had a trainee drive through this" was a blessing and a curse is moot. That being said I approve and applaud the more training required with the new requirements.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Feeling a little discouraged after my first experience on road

Why not share the school i formation? Address, phone, etc., let other people know what to avoid if they don't like such teaching methods.

^^^^ THIS! The school’s info will NOT be shared, because it doesn’t exist. FedEx would never put itself in a position to be held accountable for such irresponsible training practices. I wholeheartedly agree with G-Town that this is BS.

Hope I've not fallen for a catfish...

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Feeling a little discouraged after my first experience on road

Riccardo replied:

Thanks for the replies good to know the situation isn't what people normally go through.

You couldn’t figure that out on your own?

Why are you here Riccardo? The mindshare on this forum know you made this up. It’s BS.

But what if he's not?

"To empathize, encourage, inspire..."

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Feeling a little discouraged after my first experience on road

Riccardo replied:

You couldn’t figure that out on your own?

But what if he's not?

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Feeling a little discouraged after my first experience on road

While the idea of "hotshotting" gave me a shiver, I can attest to the fact that the concept of throwing you to the wolves it's not the proper way to learn. After my three week of pad training and classroom I got paired with what I'll call a sub-par trainer. Day one he was asleep in the passenger seat.... Five hours in my first highway trip I had a trailer blowout (that woke him up, lol). The next day we're team driving and I am about to be going through mountains passes. I got to tell you the guy has some balls to be able to sleep while I've never gone down a mountain. Thankfully it's an automatic. But still he popped out of the sleeper berth and told me "oh yeah there's a low gear, do this", which turned out not to be the way to go down a mountain at all, there is a shift in the auto before low gear. Anyway I got a new trainer... learned more in ten days that I did twenty with the first guy.

Sorry about my tirade but back to your situation.

Put feelers out to other trainers to ensure that this is the proper way that things are done for that company, without throwing anyone under the bus of course. That's how I was able to get some real mentorship.

10k miles driven/ridden (mostly driven) in 22 days was a lot to swallow, but it's made me only more determined to make this happen.

Keep your eye on your goal, stay outta your head, you got this.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Safe wind speed

Well, I am shut down for the third time in four days, either in Colorado or Wyoming. This month of December has been brutal for driving out here. Three more weeks and I'm finished here, though.

I've got an 11k pound load to Cheyenne. Expecting to be shut down up there.

Yikes... That's super light for this week! Had to shut down in Rawlins for a couple hours yesterday with 40k. Thankfully skedaddled out around 14:00 and blew down to SLC. THANKFULLY, three hours from home in PHX now.... It's been a long four weeks out.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

My first Nebraska sunset...

So . . . there 'wasn't one ?!?!? 0.0

LoLoL !!

confused.gif

Chief; sure IS gorgeous up on the lakes, isn't it?????

Going salmon fishing???? I wanna!

~ Anne ~

I tried and tried to attach the picture... It was a beauty.

Nothing compares to Arizona, but it was nice.

Wasn't one... Smarty-pants...

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Postcards from the Road! (Post Yours Please!)

My first Nebraska sunset...

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting Late in Life

First post on here! I’m 54 and am considering a career change as well. I’m so dang confused on who to start with and how to get my CDL! Company or go to a school? I think I’m overthinking it lol

There is a wealth of healthy info on this site, just start digging! I'm the same age and was in the restaurant biz for decades before getting on the road.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Fun

The REAL Van Halen!

Saw them in concert for the 1984 album.

Me too! Now we're just aging ourselves....

Hardly.

I saw The Airplane AND The Dead in '72.

NM.... PACKRAT, NM

rofl-1.gif rofl-1.gif

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Sitting in a truck all day

If two hours is frustrating, you night want to reconsider. I'm new, like really new, but I didn't mind long car rides as a driver to begin with. I've done several 10+ drives behind the wheel of a semi over the last several weeks, just a 30 break and maybe a short fuel stop... I'm done for sure by the time it over. Perhaps you can ask around to ride along with someone just to see how you do?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Safe wind speed

Here's something I ran across today...

0513849001639275068.jpg

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Fun

The REAL Van Halen!

Saw them in concert for the 1984 album.

Me too! Now we're just aging ourselves....

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trucking Life 2.0 - Living It, Loving It!

Glad on both counts, you back on the road and her recovery!

Knight has turned out to be a great choice for me, even with the change of trainers (got a great teacher now). Your experience with them was the selling point!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

And So It Begins... Just Gave My Notice

Well, I'm now officially a South Dakota resident and have passed my CLP exam! The last few weeks were a whirlwind of wrapping up the job I've had for the last 16 years, getting moved out of my apartment, not to mention the transmission dying in my car when I went back to Michigan for Thanksgiving!

As my recruiter thought (though I thought the rules read differently), I was able to transfer my class-B CDL to SD and just had to take the combination test (I also took the tanker test, just to get that endorsement).

Now Wilson is doing the final processing on my app. It's possible I'll start next week, but he said more likely it'll be Dec 20, as they try to limit the class sizes, and next week is pretty full.

Onward and upward!

That's great Matt! I've been out a couple weeks and loving it. Still got a lot to learn, but soaking it up like a sponge!!

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Trucker Life Summarized into One Funny Anecdote

Hours of blissful solitude...punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

This.

embarrassed.gif embarrassed.gif embarrassed.gif shocked.png

Posted:  6 months ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

I wasn't allowed to use the Jake at all during training. Learn to pay attention to signs and control the truck. Get it in the right gear and controlled braking because what happens if you can't use the Jake? What if it's raining or snowing? Learn how to drive without it then you can use it.

I suppose that would apply to manual trans more than autos?

Posted:  6 months ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

I'm shocked that you're not using the Jake. How do you maintain speed on just a slow downhill much less steep declines?! At the last possible moment before heading through Raton Pass he jumped outta bed and showed me low gear... Thankfully.

I've been putting in 8-10 drive shifts. It's fine he's using me for miles, I get time behind the wheel. But I was hoping for the trade of imparting day to day ops for the extra cash he's making. Not one lesson on reading and understanding load assignments. I'll ask about them, telling him what I under they are saying, but get no feedback.

Posted:  6 months ago

Argument with trainer. Need help!

Man oh man, TwoSides11...I feel ya brother. I'm on day eight myself and having close to the same experience with my trainer. I was paired up with him because he was going to work through the holiday, but he changed his mind and got home time here in Houston. Thankfully my brother lives about 10 mi from Katy terminal. It was nice to take a break and get to see him. I'm now early waiting in the terminal for my trainer to wake up.

I am remaining coachable but it's difficult when there's no coaching offered. A full week and I've not backed one time. Understandable that this is an area that I need to work in but.... He always wants to get us in the hole. My driving has been pretty damn good from the start, enough for him to fall asleep the first day in the passenger seat. He did however, wake up when I had a trailer blow out 5 hours and in my first shift of driving. I handled it well and I already started to pull over when he screamed "PULL OVER!"

To get him home for the holiday we drove straight through from LA to Houston 27 and 1/2 hours. Team driving on day three. I'm getting really good at utilizing the engine brake. Taking some time to get used to sleeping while the truck is moving... Not very restful at all.

He is taking more home time next week for 4 days and I don't want to sit here in Houston so we're going to route back to Phoenix. I'm hoping to get paired up right away with someone else but only time will tell. I'm not asking for a new trainer, but I'm asking for my training to continue.

His communication skills are sub-par for sure. But not everyone can be a good trainer or teacher, I'm soaking up all I can from him while I have him. In my past profession I trained many many times. I guess my expectations are just a little high.

There was a teachable moment in Wilcox when I turned off the highway the wrong way going to a truck stop. Now that I thought about it I should have gone to the next light turn right next light turn right next light turn left to get back where I wanted. I do wish he'd offered that advice when I was in my pickle instead of letting me panic turn into a parking lot to get turned around. Very teachable moment lost.

Anyway it's a new day and a new chance to learn.

Keep your chin up and keep your eye on the prize!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Finally on the road with Knight!

Cool to see other knights in here, hopefully you guys will do diaries. I always like to read about others experiences with knight. Plus, you guys can help others with your experience.

I'm taking notes, were running hard and no time to do it justice. So hard, started team on my third day!