Comments By ColeTrucker

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-blur.jpg avatar

My aching back

Normally you won't find me in the Ladies Forum but I saw that link on my administrative screen so I checked it out.

I've done Yoga for about 8 years now. If you knew me you'd never guess it in a million years. I do it about 5 or 6 days a week, 15 minutes at a time. It's miraculous. I've always been an athlete and did a lot of physical work my whole life. I'm 43 now and I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm the most flexible I've ever been. My balance, my agility, and my strength are all the best they've ever been and Yoga is a key part of that.

My favorite time to do it is in the morning. After I do some computer work and get some coffee in me I'll do Yoga. It's the best way to start the day. Then your body is loosened up, stretched out, in proper alignment, and the blood is pumping. You're feelin great and ready to get something done with your day.

It's nearly impossible to comprehend the full scale of benefits you get from Yoga. But once you've done it for a short time and you've experience all the benefits you'll know it's something you'll want to do the rest of your life. I fully expect to be doing Yoga and getting around just fine when I'm 100 years old.

smile.gif

Well, I'm glad you came on by and your words rings true for me!

I was/am having consistent pain originating from deep inside close to the left part of my upper pelvic bone. I am constantly aware of the pain but if I turned the wrong way, coughed or sneezed...the worst pain I ever felt would shoot down my left leg, ouch!!

I love my job but, knew I had to do something different or things would get worse. So, a little while back, I started looking for yoga videos that focused on the entire back, shoulders and neck to include in my mini routine. During the first few weeks of practice, I'd do yoga sporadically. Then one day, after having a sneezing fit, I realized that I didn't get that shooting pain down my leg. Hallelujah! Now, like you, I do about 10-15 minutes every morning and a posture here or there whenever I get out of the truck.

I've upped my overall fitness plan. I used to just walk and do a 10 daily exercise routine that I have as an app. I have added a resistance band and a jump rope. I jump rope on a piece of carpet with a thin layer of rubber on the underside. It saves my knees and saves the rope which has a plastic coating around it. I only do about 5-10 minutes here or there through out the day but I feel great!

My aching back

Yoga sample

I forgot to add the page.

My aching back

I am including yoga in my routine to help my aching back. It has helped so far. What other routines do you suggest that has actually helped you in anyway. Back or otherwise. Thanks in advance. Cole.

Female truck driver safety

If all else fails and stuff just ain't sitting right, I'll park under a spotlight at the closest bank (cameras) and call non emergency pd to let them know exactly where I'm am. Cole.

And he'll yeah, I'll use my girl power voice to make sh*t work for me when I need to. Grandma didn't raise no fool. Cole

Female truck driver safety

Wasp spray. Better aim and price. I'm a night driver so Walmart, home depot, Sam's are my spots. I ALWAYS park next to other trucks. If all else fails and stuff just ain't sitting right, I'll park under a spotlight at the closest bank (cameras) and call non emergency pd to let them know exactly where I'm am. They'll either move me or keep me company. My family always knows b/c we use Life 360. Cole.

Slow rolling to the dock

BTW, I am on home time now going over EVERYTHING!

***Didn't mean to highjack your thread**** Carry on!

Slow rolling to the dock

Straight out of the Exemptions To Hours Of Service Regulations in our High Road Training Program:

Adverse Driving Conditions Exception

If unexpected adverse driving conditions slow you down, you may drive up to 2 additional hours to complete what could have been driven in normal conditions. This means you could drive for up to 13 hours, which is 2 hours more than allowed under normal conditions. "Adverse driving conditions" means conditions that you did not know about when you began your trip like snow, fog, or a road closure due to a crash. Adverse driving conditions do not include situations that you should have known about through proper trip planning, such as congested traffic during typical "rush hour" periods. Even though you may drive 2 extra hours under this exception, you are not allowed to drive after the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty.

I've heard of companies that do not allow you to use this exception, probably because they abused it in the past and DOT has their eye on them.

So what you're saying is...I cant use that regulation just because the girl I wanted to do my mani/pedi wasn't available until after lunch and it is currently 10am?...............JUST KIDDING!!!

For real though, I had a run that was tight, 635miles deadhead from West Palm Beach, FL to Greenville, SC (truck governed at 63mph which only happens when the sun, moon and stars align AND I have a tail wind AND I am going down hill. Miles are zip to zip). Long story short...there was a crash in Jacksonville, FL AND construction going on. -

I was 7 miles away from the shipper when I ran out of drive time and had to slow roll to them at 2 something in the morning.

Backtracking a little....While I was in traffic, I called in to ask if I could go to line 4. They said no but, that little bit of time would have allowed me to get to the shipper with out having to slow roll!

I have since learned that I was a Jacka** b/c I should not have "asked" I should have "told" them or better yet, just go to line 4 b/c according to COMPANY policy, I had the right to go there while stuck in traffic. But, noooooooo I asked and got jacked b/c I didn't know company policy and FMRC regulation. Instead I relied <---did I spell that right? It looks funny- on someone else to tell me "their version" of the policy.

Not gonna happen twice!

Slow rolling to the dock

Ours is below 25 and less than 2 miles.

Same here.

Mini rant.......Now please someone "try" to tell me how in blu blazes is this practice safe? Yes, I know it was placed there for things such as finding a spot in a truck stop yadda, yadda, yadda. However, (many of us) I also use it for when I am "x" amount of miles away from my final destination AND out of drive time. Why o why isn't there some kind of code or whatever to use when we are say, 5 maybe10 miles away from our stop and out of hours? The mentioned can be proven via GPS so, what is the problem? Game on top of game. Makes too much sense maybe?

And if someone mentions "trip planning" slap yourself in the face for me. Rant complete.

ASA Skills Gap Index Identifies 167 Hard-to-Fill Jobs

This is completely off topic but your avatar gif is absolutely hysterical. Made my .......

evening!

rofl-2.gif

A black female

My question is in the trucking industry will I have to deal with alot of racial discrimination?

Maybe, maybe not. However, I pray you are at the point in your life where stuff like that won't effect your decision to do whatever you want to do with your life. If it ain't (yeah i said ain't!) racial discrimination it may be gender, age, sex,class, height, weight, blah, blah, blah. Some people ALWAYS have stuff to say about something or someone be it bad or good.

What you have to remember is that issues like the mentioned are THEIR problem not yours, unless you make it your problem. The question that is more important -to normal people- is, Can you do the job? or/and Are you open to learn how to do the job with the utmost standard of work ethic?

I am first generation AmeriPanaJamaican. You will never need to ask me if I care about a lot of things outside of my family.Cole

Been gone awhile at trucking school now I need some advise.

Hi Colleen,

I have some questions for you. How bad do you really want your class A CDL license? What were your goals or dreams when you decided you wanted a Class A license? If/when you leave are you going to have at least a Class B license?

I had a similar situation happen with me while I attended my county's vocational school. I did not grasp the basic skill maneuvers as quickly as the other five students in my class at the time. Therefore, I failed the basics skills test twice. I never even made it out of the yard for the road test.

My instructor advised that I can either get a Class B or pay extra money to start with the new class that began two days prior. I didn't even answer him. I got up and went straight to the guidance counselor's office and told him what happened. I also let him know that I didn't work my tail off doing massive overtime to save the money for the course only to leave with a Class B, I don't have access to someone's truck to practice and, I surely don't have a money tree in the backyard.

I refuse to let anyone tell me what I can or cannot do. My grandma used to say, "No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them". I know what my strengths and weaknesses are. Therefore, it was only a matter of me getting extra practice in order to get the maneuvers right . Long story short, I didn't pay more money, I learned to do the maneuvers from a different instructor, made use of the extra time and, I got my Class A.

Please check with your guidance counselor to see what your options are before you leave. If possible, find someone with a truck that can help you. Recall a time in your past when you had to work through your fear. Mimic the energy you used to get through it then keep it moving! Cole.

A little update

Hello ladies,

Here is a quick update as to what I've been up to.

I graduated CDL school in August. Got invited to Schneider Bulk (my first choice) in September. I completed phase one of my training where I had an AWESOME drive trainer who has 26yrs with Schneider.

Phase two starts at 0300hrs tomorrow and it is when I will meet my Training Engineer. He is local which is great news for me! I get to have more practice driving in this hilly, curvy terrain (vs driving in flat FL), I get to do a lot of loading/unloading and most of all, I get to see Pittsburg, PA.

Back tracking a little bit. I will share what the pre-work screen entails. I was a little intimated at first so, I stepped up my workout routine, practiced breathing through each exercise, and passed with no problems. On the first day of orientation I had to:

Step Test, 12" step and down for 1 minute ---3 min rest period--- -Squats, 10 reps -Front Carry 30ft, 25 then 50lbs 1 rep ea. -Floor to Waist Lift, 25 then 50lbs, 3 reps ea. -Waist to Shoulder Lift, 25 then 50lbs 3 reps ea. -Horizontal Pull, 100lbs, 3 reps -Horizontal Push 80lbs, 3 reps ~~~~~on all the above, your heart rate is monitored and cannot go above (220-your age) x 0.9. -Balance Beam, forward-backward-side step -Walk/Crouch on Catwalk, 3 reps

So far all is well and I feel that I made the right choice. The instructors, staff, other drivers and classmates that I've met are down to earth and respectful. I've been told that every new class this month has had at least one female student!

The only sad thing is that I had to use my sister's address in Atlanta to get this gig (they were not hiring for bulk out of FL). However, once everything gets more routine for me, I will figure out a way to get closer to see the hubster more often.

I am not a writer and this will not be an ongoing post. I just wanted share with my fellow "sisters-in-trucking" about my journey thus far.Cole

Hi, how is it with self protection, can you carry a stun gun or mace.

Hi there!

On of my instructors told me to always carry one of those large mag flashlights wherever I go. He said to get a holster for it or whatever thing that will let me reach for it quickly. Make that potential knucklehead wonder, "Why in the hell is she carrying that flashlight on her hip"?

When you swing.... swing like you are in the world series. After you knock him/her out....shut your mouth, walk over the body and keep it moving.

I've been practicing my swing, jam into _____ and working out at least 4 times a week. smile.gif

Ever Been Called an Investment?

I'm over it,( or at least working on it) I have many other hopes and dreams and new plans! Thanx for listening.

THATS what I'm taking about! Life it too short. Keep it moving.good-luck.gif

Well, it's official!!!

I start Roehl's CDL school on October 13th! I will get started a week before my 53rd birthday and will get to spend it with them!!! dancing-dog.gif I am excited and extremely freaked out at the same time!!!! smile.gif

Whoa! Can you believe it's October already?! Congratulations!

Yin & Yang...This is me

"Two forces in the universe, according to a Chinese theory: yin is the passive, negative force, and yang the active, positive force."

I have been in the Corporate world for 20 years and am in serious need of a big change. My brother is in the trucking industry and has been trying for a year now to get me to get my CDL's and start driving. He assures me it's easy once you learn the ins and outs but isn't that true of any new profession?

I have been researching the industry for several months now and I'm 99% positive this is what I want to do. However, I am scared. Scared of leaving a steady job and pay check. Scared of screwing up. Scared of not passing. As my subject title states...Yin & Yang...Two forces working against the other.

Did any of you have these feelings and how did you combat the indecisiveness?

Hi there and welcome!

First off let me say that your feeling is normal. Btw, Ying and Yang are two forces that work TOGETHER not against each other.

In reality, trucking IS apart of the corporate world. All the skills that you've applied in your aspect of the corporate world still apply. You just have to add additional skills to the mix like learning how to drive big rigs and all that come with it. Life is short! Just do it or,.... not. When all is said and done, YOU are the one who have to deal with whatever decisions you make in life.

I'm saying this to you because the above was my mantra while I pressed on to become a Professional Class A Driver.

Oh, and let me assure you...you are gonna screw up! That is just a part of life. You live, you learn. Remember, you have the support of your brother...whoo, hoo! That is something to celebrate...Cole.

I start school today 😊

Whoo hoo, another female trucker coming down the line!!! Congratulations...Cole

I start school today 😊

Well..... I hope every one has a fantastic day ! I flopped around the bed all night. Lol I guess at 47 you still get that excited feeling......of the 1 st day at school. LoL I have worked the last 25 years in the class room. You would think It would be like just another day to me.😂 So here is to my 1st day of my new career.

Hi there and welcome!

Well? How was your first day of school?Cole

Another new girl

I love this site and really appreciate all the info and support here! My name is Trish and I'm studying for my CDL now ... just signed up with Stevens for school in Denver in October. Still not 100% sure about this decision but the more I learn about this career and talk to people, the more excited I get. I'm 47, newly "single" again and loving it ... looking forward to getting paid to see this beautiful country. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the community on this site!

Welcome! I think this career is the best thing for us 40 something's especially, we that want to see this great ole USA.... Please keep us updated.

CDL Permit

Hey Ladies, I just wanted to let everyone know that I got my permit today!!! dancing-banana.gif I'll be starting school with Swift Transportation in a couple of weeks. Anyone know anything about Swift Driving School in Millington, Tenn.? Please respond.

I don't know anything about Swift but, just want to say CONGRATULATIONS!Cole.