Comments By Jim M.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/yellow-pete.jpg avatar
  • Jim M.
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Three:

We completed Section Two today, as well as Section Three and we also covered Section Five, Air Brakes. We are to review Section Five tonight and review that tomorrow. Then we will do Section Six and Ten tomorrow and review all those sections for our permit test on Friday.

Saw several videos today covering topics on Air Brakes, Cargo Containment, Flatbed Securement and one on Emergencies.

I took a few minutes on my lunch break to go speak with some of the trainees on the yard course from two previous classes. They were informative and one was ready to complete this Friday and get moving in his career. Unfortunately for him it didn't seem like he made a definitive decision what company he was going with, it sounds like possibly Crete/Schafer.

It was a good day all in all.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Day Two:

We continued with the "Driving Safely" section of the manual today and saw a couple of video presentations. I know classroom instruction is necessary and informative, and I do get something out of it, but alas, it isn't much different for me than it was 30+ years ago in high school, I do have a great deal of difficulty with that way of learning. I am much stronger and retain more when it is hands-on.

Our permit test are to be done on Friday, then I suspect we begin outside in the yard next week.

We had a recruiter from J.B. Hunt in to see us this afternoon and give her presentation of the company. It seems like a strong and well diversified outfit with many different types of freight accounts. I company I should look into with more vigor. I had applied to them already but failed to follow up.

Finally got my CDL today

Good for you!! And best of everything with your trainer!!

Drive safe and learn tons

JB Hunt Dedicated account

The JB Hunt recruiter was at our school this afternoon. That is a seemingly "well-put-together" company.

I sent an application to them but had not followed up with anyone, I should that.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Oops... sorry; I forgot to say, enjoy your much needed and deserved "home-time"!!

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Daniel,

You said, "Upon opening the plastic door, I discover that someone who used it doesn't know how to aim. The floor is drenched in ****. Good job, A-hole." You could be referring to a trucker in this case, but consider for a moment that it may not have been...

I was in construction for over 25 years, let me tell you, even if a site has a chain link fence around it does not mean in any way that the only way a "porta-potty" gets defiled or abused is from one of the workers themselves. It certainly could be, but not always. The general public can be equally as gross and disgusting when iota comes to the use and care of these things.

Just saying... in the end we never know who the perpetrator could be.

Taking A Look At Securing A Flat-Bed Load

Old School,

You were in New London...I was in Waterford today for my first day at school, so close!!

Hey I loved the detail and pics in this post, great stuff!!

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

A.B. CDL Driving School (CT)

Hello all,

Today was the first day of my CDL training school. I will attempt to give you as much information and insight into this privately run CDL school, it may or may not be different than they company sponsored schools, but hopefully it can be informative.

Today was an "orientation day". This school is accredited and according to the director, he is required to hold an orientation portion on day one. I don't know if that differs from other schools, but that is his arrangement.

We watched four videos in the morning from 0700 to about 1130, he had us take a break until 1230, which to me is an exceedingly long lunch break.

In they afternoon, we started the CDL manual in Section Two and watched one video about the Pre-trip inspection. All-in-all, not too bad a first day. Our permit tests are scheduled for Friday this week.

That's it for tonight, I'll post again tomorrow.

Running on Empty

The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite books as well. Love them.

Not necessarily in the same category, but equally as entertaining are the Harry Potter series. J.K. Rowling has a truly gifted imagination.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

TDA Training Diary - (TDA/ Central Refrigerated Federal Way, WA & Salt Lake City Utah)

Congratulations Rob.

Got a pre hire now what

I will refrain from any further disparaging comments.

My apologies for steering anyone away from pursuing a viable option to attend school. It was not my intent to do otherwise.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

Great stuff Wine Taster! I'm enjoying the "ride-along".

Got a pre hire now what

There's a program called WIA that pays for schooling. One of the things it pays for is trucking school. I don't know what the requirements are to get approved for it, but it might be worth your while to check into it.

Hi all,

I don't know if every state administers their WIA programs in a similar way, but here in CT there are a s***-load of conditions that apply to you being "approved". First there is an application, then a review stage that takes a minimum of two weeks, not a long time by any count, but I start school this coming Monday, so I am right out of the gate disqualified! I found this out yesterday at the mandatory class you must attend to even fill out an application. I waited a month to be able to sit in this class to find out I won't be able to avail myself of it. The second hiccup in this wonderfully planned feast is the statement about "WIA pays for trucking school". According to the facilitator of the class, they don't like paying for CDL school, because "there are no guarantees of employment, your take home pay is not as regular as the types of jobs they want you to get into, specifically technical careers, i.e.; nursing, IT, etc."

The grants do NOT pay you back for schooling, they pay the institution of the loan or directly to the school, so if you are already enrolled in school prior to filling out an application and certainly before they complete your review, you will not be able to participate. There are a lot of other BS rules that may or may not apply to you and your state, just get the facts before any of you count on that money being available.

Here is my one negative-anti-government bash for the day: the reason this program does not work is because it is run by none other than...the Government! Specifically speaking a state government which is in my opinion far worse than the abilities of the federal government!!

Don't get me entirely wrong here, this is a well-intentioned program, and may well turn out to be quite beneficial for those that are able to get all of their ducks in-a-row before stuffing their books under their arm. In my case, even though I asked about and signed up for this a month ago it still wasn't enough time to be prepared for what I would learn yesterday, there is a lot of misinformation that is presented.

Good luck to any that go this route, I hope it works out better for you than it did for me.

Received Pre-hire from TMC

Thanks Old School.

I still plan on pursuing Western-Express, I realized that the recruiter I spoke with may not be familiar with the pre-hire. W-E is in the top three on my list, so they aren't done hearing from me yet. A decision where to end up has not been fully made anyway, I have about a month and a half before that becomes more urgent, school and license first.

Stay safe.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Daniel,

The "play-by-play" is awesome, it really helps me to better grasp what it is you all do out there and how planning is key to anyone's day.

Those pictures are really amazing, so beautiful.

Received Pre-hire from TMC

I received my first official pre-hire from TMC Transportation yesterday. I am so psyched!!

TMC is the first company I wanted to apply to and the one I looked most forward to working for. I'm one step closer to that becoming a reality.

I have spoken with recruiters from Melton, Western-Express, Prime Inc, and Trans Am. And sent applications to Roehl, Schneider, Swift Transport, Knight Transportation and a whole slew of other companies. I might apply to Maverick Transport as well.

The recruiter at Western-Express had no idea what a pre-hire letter was, seriously, I tried my best to explain it to her with no luck. She did give me a verbal that in my opinion is about as good as a piece of paper stating that you have they qualifications and are "hirable".

At any rate, my school starts this coming Monday at 7 am, I am hoping to chronicle the daily routine and events in the CDL training diary section of the forum. Look for that to begin Sunday evening, at the latest Monday after the first class.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Brett,

Seeing as I went directly to the last of these posts, I apologize for asking you to include a company name that may have already been mentioned. Western Express, according to their recruiter I spoke with yesterday, said that W.E. only does urinalysis testing, NO hair follicle test.

Finished School

Congrats Rick! Best of everything with the next phase.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Trucking School. One poor saps perspective.

Mike this is funny s!*t, I love it!! I start school a week from Monday, now I'm nervous and laughing at he same time, thanks!!

Roehl driver training from start to end.....

How exciting!!

I hope you can work out the logistics, positive thoughts... positive thoughts.