Comments By Bob H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-mountains.jpg avatar
  • Bob H.
  • Comments:

Gone a fowl...Turkey for Easter.

Glad you are ok. Know how startling that can be. Had a similar situation on Rt15 below Selinsgrove with a duck at dusk. Hit right in front of the drivers side . Maintained control and never even swerved, although it's a good thing I had a college football team onboard because the ensuing comments uttered in surprise were not suited for mixed company!! Never saw it coming and glass dust everywhere!!

Noticed something

Same with running loads, when I am calm and don't worry I am always on time. When I try to rush it always leads to me getting myself into some trouble.

“The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.”

― Lewis Carroll

Electronic logs

I've gone"on duty, not driving" in a stand still to take the time off duty clock vs drive clock occasionally. Might be bending the rules a little but I'm not moving so.....

Passenger Carrying Drivers. Stopping the 15 Hour On Duty Clock.

So if you drop - go off duty for at least 8 hours - you in fact are NOT in violation

Agreed Rick. In fact, that would reset his entire 10/15 clock.

Off-duty time is not included in the 15-hour period

However, if he was only off for 7 hours before returning to duty, he would still have the balance of what he had left when he signed off duty

Passenger Carrying Drivers. Stopping the 15 Hour On Duty Clock.

The HOS summary is correct and speaks for itself. Just make sure that you are totally relieved of duty and free to pursue other interests as per the definition of "Off Duty". I currently drive motorcoach as well and my company operates the same way, as does every other driver i've encountered. One word of caution: Make sure that you are especially well rested before your trip. Utilize your downtime wisely. If you return to a hotel, take a nap. If you are physically too tired to drive, notify dispatch you need relief. This flexibility can be a curse in that it can make for some long days and you can't just pull over half-way home and take a nap with a bus full of people. And before someone else says it, yes it is odd considering the amount and type of "cargo" you are carrying.

When when not to log

The main question here, to me, is how to account for time spent at job #1. I totally agree with Rick that the best course of action would be to discuss this with the safety guy at job #2 to verify On Duty/Not Driving as the appropiate way to account for your time at job #1, as they would be the ones that would need to CYA. I was in a similar situation for a while. I worked a non-CDL job and drove motorcoach part-time. G-Town hit it with the "Time Worked Statement" being required with new and/or intermittent drivers, but I drove on a somewhat regular basis (worked non CDL job 4 days on - 4 days off and drove in between) and handled it a bit differently. We used paper logs when I first started driving, and logged every day whether it was the driving or non-driving job. Later when switching to e-logs, I had the ability to add "on duty" entries from my non-driving job by home computer ( which made life a whole lot easier). This accounted for ALL my time worked to satisfy logging requirements of the bus company. Another suggestion to the OP is that since you have to keep logs for job #2, (you said that they told you that you had to "log in") is to track your worked hours on a calendar to see what kind of hours you available to commit to driving bus. Since you currently don't keep logs and have to worry about your available hours, I believe that you may be surprised how quickly you run into the 70hr/8 days HOS wall and not be able to drive bus that much.

Don't do it!

I have noticed that a few guys I had always looked to for advice always said don't do it!

The only "don't do it" advice I can recall on this board are some that have suggested that it may not be the best way to go right out of school. The idea being get some experience under your belt before trying something more demanding. Nobody ever said there was anything wrong with flat.

CDL Endorsements

I realize that this is a big step for you and that you are naturally nervous. But I agree that you need to relax and make this an enjoyable challenge rather than a chore. You would be amazed at how many people enroll in CDL schools and have never researched anything resembling a driver's manual or online study materials. A lot of them have just the first couple of days of classes to study for the written tests. You have the advantage of having found THE BEST FORUM that is full of people that sincerely want to help you and answer your concerns. On top of that, it also has the best online prep tool (High Road) that I have ever seen, BAR NONE.

What Is Your Company's Policy On 34 Hour Resets?

I would read into that message that this particular dispatcher and/or company has experienced problems with drivers utilizing random 34's as a mini vacation (as Brett stated), or as an excuse to refuse loads. Also, the message didn't imply that the driver was expected to run illegally. I do, however, think that the message could have been worded a little more tactfully. Such as:

"If you have hours available and/or coming back on recap, you are expected to be available for loads. Otherwise, please call me to discuss the need for a reset."

Introducing "The Road Home": TruckingTruth's New Podcast!

Great start and advise right out of the box!

Vent: Winter the past two weeks has sucked.

GPS keeps trying to take me to route 15. Grrrrrr

15 is about your only feasible option from up there. Just one slight variation. When you get to Williamsport , stay on 180 East instead of continuing on 15. Turns into 147 at route 80. Continue on 147 to Northumberland. Your GPS should re-route you from there and take you back to 15. Only snag is 2 miles of red lights through Shamokin Dam.

I might be done with truck driving

Even if someone is spotting me, I still GOAL because I need to understand what is going on with the trailer, and ultimately, if I hit something, it would be my responsibility.

Great "Best Practice". I do the same. I need to get a clear picture in my head of where I want to go and what's back there.

10-12 compantys running my info going to hurt me?

Agree with CT. Soft inquiries for employment purposes will cause no harm. However, my employer runs my DMV report every year and under the Fair Credit Reporting Act the state is required to notify you of these inquiries. So you can expect to get a letter from the state every time somebody runs your driving record. No cause for alarm, just an FYI.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Doggy Day Care

Great idea/solution! Just remember to have copy of vet records along with you. These places are fussy.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

School bus and passenger endorsement

In Pennsylvania, the "P" endorsement is a simple 15 or 20 question test at the DMV. However, the "S" endorsement requires a written test, attending a school bus class with minimum number of hours classroom training( like 2 or 3 evenings for around 12 hours total), and the complete pretrip/skills/road test done in a school bus. School bus even has it's own manual. Classroom portion essentially deals with how to properly pick up/discharge students, RR crossings, special needs students, and behavioral issues. Not really difficult and school bus companies usually (around here) provide the training for free. Suspect other states are similar.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Interstate question

There is a short section of bridge on I-84 in Waterbury CT like that.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

In need of some beta testers for a new ProDriver GPS Navigation Device

Just started shopping for a new unit, so I'd be interested as well.

New driver less trucks- will it be a real job killer?

Backing...!!!! All I have to say about that!

Not so sure. They are making progress there too. Wanna see a feature that would be cool to have in a truck? Visit the Ford website and watch the video on the F-150 with Pro Trailer Backup Assist. Yes, it requires driver input.....for now. Even though technology is advancing, I agree with those who feel that trucking is heading towards a path similar to the airline industry, where pilots (drivers) are still not obsolete despite decades of automated flight controls.

Hearing loss in one ear

As long as you can pass with the ear you can hear out of, you will be fine. Notice the requirements state " First perceives a forced whispered voice in the better ear", key words being better ear. Refer to the FMCSA examiner's handbook for a complete and more thorough explaination of the hearing requirements part of the physical. But Brett is correct in that it will always be a hassle.

Why I'm Getting a CDL-B, Does It Make Sense

Hello and welcome to the forum! Up until recently, I had worked me entire life in retail and satisfied my childhood dream of driving big trucks by joining a volunteer fire company, which is where and why I obtained my CDL(ran 250+ calls a year for 25 yrs. and lived a block from fire house so I drove a LOT). I was an assistant mgr. for a big box retail store and started to burn out, so I started working part time for a local company that has school buses and coach buses as a "plan B". I currently drive coach since leaving retail and can hopefully provide some insite into what you are considering. First, I see nothing wrong with gradually transitioning yourself to larger vehicles if that is more comfortable for you. Now, a little more info about your circumstances would be helpful. I realize you may or may not wish to answer these questions publically, but you need to answer to yourself in order to decide. For example, are you looking for a full time career change or something to keep busy? Your "kids are grown and gone" statement gives the impression of an empty nester looking for something to do. Next, you are considering starting in school bus. This is a part time job (1 or 2 hrs in AM and 1 or 2 at night) that with the end of the school year approaching in all likelyhood you wouldn't start driving until Fall. Does that fit your needs and is it something you can afford to do or do you need a larger, more steady income? Finally, how for along in the process are you with the school bus company? What do they have invested in you at this point? I respect your sense of commitment. However, life is too short to punish yourself for choosing a direction that doesn"t fit. You also don't want to burn bridges. Does the company have coaches too? Open the lines of communication with them as to what your needs and goals are to see what can be worked out. As far as Coach vs. Class A, I can provide some insite there too, but this post is already way too long!