Comments By Ahbleza

https://i59.tinypic.com/29pt9b4.jpg avatar
  • Ahbleza
  • Comments:

Made it to Prime

Day 3:

As I said earlier the phone went off at 5:45 even though class isn't until 8:30. Got to class at 8:30 and sat through roll call, after that those who still needed to complete their Permit testing were permitted to leave, those who had a permit stayed for a brief introduction to the Pre-trip. After a quick once over of basic terminology and the engine compartment we went out to the lot and got a look at some of the trainer/trainees trucks. then back in for a quick Roll Call and dismissed for lunch. After lunch we headed back out to the lot to work around the trucks some more, and that was it. during our little lunch break I did manage to get in my last Sim practice.

Overall today was a short day, I'm going to be working over the pre-trip tonight and getting prepped for tomorrow.

Made it to Prime

Ya know, I just realized I missed mentioning Day One here. So I'm just gonna do a real brief post on both day 1 and 2.

KEY POINT: This entire week is an interview, treat it as such. Dress Appropriately, and keep your language at a business level(watched a guy get reprimanded for cussin' up a storm while waiting for File review. And by dressing appropriately I don't mean suit and tie, I mean don't wear stuff with all sorts of swearing or inappropriate graphics or jokes. KEEP IT CLEAN.

Day One:

Get your 5:45 wake up call and get cleaned up. Once all that is done head up to the cafe for breakfast at 6:00, don't stress breakfast to much yet, you have time. Class starts at 7, they follow the same general rule I've held my life to, Early is on time...On time is late. You'll go through Roll call, get a brief intro and be given run through of all the paperwork you'll have to complete. Then off to your File Review(Have your $100) and your physicals. BE PREPARED TO WAIT. My class started with 76 people, this can take a while. Also if you have any concerns with health, I'd recommend getting that physical out of the way first, That way if your condition is correctable you're ready to go on Day 2. Once you have these things out of the way head into the SIM lab to work on your CBT(Computer based Training). You'll have to watch 9 videos, and answer quiz questions getting 100%, so PAY ATTENTION! But really, if you don't get that 100%, reread the questions, and correct your answers. That pretty much completes DAY 1 so head back to your room, Walmart if you need to, and get your rest. It has only just begun.

Day Two:

Get your 5:45 wake up call. (class doesn't start till 8:00) Get cleaned up and hit up the cafe for breakfast. Be at class before 8:00 again..EARLY IS ON TIME, ON TIME IS LATE!!!! After ROLL CALL, anyone who still needed to complete the File Review or physical(or go back and be rechecked in the physical) were free to do so. If you still need to complete some of your CBT's go ahead and do it. Report back to the classroom at 11:00 after ROLL CALL, we had a bit more intro into the program. Went over what you need for the CDL Permit and if you had one what you needed to have in order to make sure it satisfied the requirements for your PSD. After all this if you still need File review or Physical GET IT DONE. Shuttles leave for DMV at 1 to take your permit tests, so be ready. Also for those of us who had our Permit we got to meet up at the SIM LAB at 3 for an intro into the SIM, then we got to start working through the different simulations. I really do believe this is a great way to introduce someone to the basics of the truck without endangering the students, the equipment, or anyone else. Though, even I understand that it feels nothing like a truck. Also DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A GAME, watched someone today ignore the signs take her truck off road, around an accident, and start giggling like a fool. She got ripped into pretty hard about how it wasn't funny.

BTW: Those CDL Trainers are here, watching all the students, getting a feel for you. Don't be surprised when one of them starts asking you questions, then says something like lets take a walk. It happened to me on day 2...He went over the rules on his truck, how he works showering, and how he planned to work through the process. He then took my name and said he'd request me today.

I'm up for Day 3 - Damn that 5:45 wake up call.......class today isn't until 8:30....I'll make a post either tonight or tomorrow on that..and once done with all this I'll transfer these posts to more of a Diary format for the CDL Diaries section.

I have a question about prime

Funny you should ask this...Considering I have an Ohio Permit and I'm in Prime PSD Orientation week this very moment.

There are three questions you need to be able to say YES to.

1. Is my permit going to be VALID for at least 30 days? 2. Do I hold a Tanker endorsement? 3. Am I medically Certified in my state so I can drive INTERstate?

If you can say YES to ALL 3 questions you will not need to transfer your permit.

As far as should you have your permit and all that before you show up? It definitely made my life easier. They sent everybody who needed a permit over yesterday and quite a few didn't pass, so they have to retest today. And they don't teach you, it's all self study. So while you may need to throw down some $$ to do it in your home state for the physical and all that, I say go ahead and get it done. Save yourself the stress.

Prime Day 1

There seems to be a lot of strange people here.

HEY NOW!!! What you mean strange? lol... But really..everything he said is just about right, including the number of "strange" people here. Myself among them.rofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gif

Made it to Prime

Hi Ahbleza,

Glad to hear you made the trip safely and I will be looking forward to following your progress too! I have a question for you since you are also from Ohio....did you consider Millis Transfer for school and if yes, what kept you from going there? I like what they have to offer and the school is about 7 miles from where I live. It did appear in the info Brett has on them they don't hire from Ohio, which I thought was a little strange. I figured I would call and ask them anyway, but if you have any info you gained I'd love to hear about it!

Millis was on my list for a bit, and I did actually go by Brett's site on them not hiring from Ohio and eliminated it from the list. Besides They're a strictly Dry Van Company, I was looking for a company that had a bit of Variety in their divisions.

I ended up with a short list of Knight, Prime, and Roehl. While looking at the different companies and reading a variety of things on Websites I decided I would either try Prime or Knight, so I called both. Knight NEVER called me back even after calling more than a few times. Prime was right on top of things. Plus Prime has garnered quite a group on this site and I liked what I was hearing. So, in the end I only filled out one application, got approved and here I sit....waiting for class.

Made it to Prime

Well, made it to Springfield this morning. I would have put something on here sooner except all I wanted to do was take a shower and take a nap.

Made the walk to Walmart and now to steak and shake.. Feel like I'm finally getting settled, that trip on the dog killed me.

Looking forward to getting started tomorrow... I'll keep y'all updated.

Ahbleza

TRIFECTA BABY!!

Congratulations... Way to make it... I'm looking forward to hopefully posting something similar here in a month or so. Currently I'm just trying to settle after my ride on the dog.

New layout for the forum

As far as the desktop mode vs mobile mode on phones. Especially the note 3. Why not just hit menu then tell your browser to request the desktop site.

Pleased to announce...... Exam today........TRIFECTA!!!

Congratulations... I'm currently on the bus headed out to prime

Proof Of Employment For The Self Employed?

I would think so. If you had your corporation issue you W-2's under the business name, to your personal name, this indicates income. Not just income but traceable income. Regardless if you were the owner of the corporation and the sole Employee, or had multiple employees.

But lets face it, this is an educated guess at best. The only thing I can really suggest is talk to a couple recruiters and as them, They could give you a more definitive answer.

New layout for the forum

I use Google Chrome on a regular basis, both on my laptop and my phone.

On the laptop the font just feels bad, on the phone...like you said, Awesome.

Either way, keep up the good work, this site is well designed, as is your mobile app for CDL Practice. I found it to be extremely helplful.

One more thing though, I'd like to see a way to edit previous posts, that way if you come across a spelling error you missed or need to add something that you forgot (like my post a little bit ago) you can do it easily. Just a thought.

New layout for the forum

Brett,

Just to so how not awake I am. I didn't thing to check the mobile site before posting. I just did that and I must say it's looking good...I find it easy to read and to navigate. Sorry for multi posting on ya.

New layout for the forum

Brett,

It could be I just woke up, but while on my laptop the font seems a little off. A little harder to read for me. If you didn't change that then I'm just not awake yet.confused.gifrofl-3.gif

Introduction and a couple of questions

Hello Fellow Ohioan,

In answer to your question, in short, yes. You would have to be licensed in Ohio, as it is your state of residence.

My wife went through the same thing. She had to get her permit and first CDL in Indiana as that was the way the school worked that she went to. When she was done there, she came back to Ohio and had to transfer her license back.

If you get your permit in Ohio remember you should find a DOT Doc and get a physical, as you are going to have to self certify...What's great is if you want you can, get the permit and "Self- Certify" option 4"exempted intrastate", then get the physical, go back pay a $3.50 fee and re-self certify. I really only know this because of a DUH moment when I got my Permit.

The DOT physicals in this area seem to run $65-$85 so I do recommend calling around. Use the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners to find an examiner in your area.

Hope it helps.

Fracking

The old saying goes, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

That being said I agree with Kevin... Get it in writing.

Roadcheck 2014

Wife got lucky, HOME TIME... Not that I think she had anything to worry about. But hey, less stress this way.

Minnesota State Patrol searching for semi that nearly hit girl waiting for school bus

Why though did the bus not pull over onto the shoulder itself instead of stopping in the middle of the highway? Sooner or later something like this is going to happen and someone will get killed.

I wonder the same thing as buses around here going down a major (four line) highway with a 65 MPH speed limit do the same thing and stop in the middle of the road. It seems they should make a law stating school buses must pull over to the side of the road to pick up and drop off children.

That bus should be over on the side IMO..... One thing I noticed if you take it frame by frame it would seem the lights on bus came on at the last second and the traffic coming the other way never slowed down....

I agree, it seems as though the stop lights came on when he opened the door but I failed to see any yellow lights at all.. Either way that was a large shoulder, bus should've pulled over there. As close to the child as possible.

Help..before start doing anything

Bingo

We need TT stickers for our trucks

First of all, I certainly hope that you've already gotten the go ahead from Brett, after all, this is HIS baby.

Deff agree here...But it seems as though all we're doing at this point is bouncing ideas around

Secondly, I would recommend having a "professional designer" create a simple(r) logo design (again, with Bretts approval) that could be easily used across a multitude of applications (e.g. shirts, hats, coffee cups, mouse pads, decals/stickers, etc.).

Yes, I concur on this point as well. Let's keep it classy.

The banner that Brett uses on this site is well made, looks great, and it encompasses the overall feel of the website. But how well will it work, in its current format, as an embroidered patch on a nice polo shirt? Is the logo going to be screen printed? Embroidered? Both? How many colors? How much detail? You really need to be able to use the logo in many ways and places without it losing any of its basic integrity, and without making the product look "cheap". This holds true for ALL corporate logos. Just look around at all of the fast-food chains, truck stops, hotels/motels, gas stations, etc., they are all simple, one or two color logos (yes, some are more, but multi-color logos are more expensive to reproduce).

I agree on both point once again (I'm an agreeable type of guy). I'd say look for a logo that has a couple colors maybe, but can also be reproduced in Black and White without losing it's original feel. Main reason I say this is that while screen printing a couple colors may work on those statics, mouse pads, T-shirts, and hats, I think a nice polo may look better with a solid colored logo embroidered on the left chest(albeit a bit more pricey).

But in the end no matter how this proceeds Brett has to have final say and Veto powers on any progression on this topic, and on any product that may have said logo on it. (I don't think we need TruckingTruth.com balloons and frisbees, at least not yet)

Recommendations?

I can't say I have the experience that you are looking for, but, While working at an amusement park on third shift I had to pull these little 5 cubic yard dumpsters. This meant having to pick the dumpster tongue up and hitch it to my pickup, or another dumpster, then take it off and push it onto a set of arms on the compactor. I would do this 8-10 hours a day 6 days a week. I did this during the entire operating season of the park.

I hated the big thick gloves so I went to walmart...they had gloves made of Deerskin that velcro around the wrist(I think they were like $12-$14. I was hesitant but I bought them to try them out.....they lasted the rest of the season I was in and then some.....the next year I went back and got another pair, they lasted the whole season. Keep in mind I was doing this in all sorts of weather conditions, from Heavy rain to even some snowfall. Worst thing that would happen is that when they got soaked through and I laid them on the defroster to dry, they would get a little stiff. but after putting them on and working a little bit they loosened right up. I continued buying them for 3 more years till I finally left the job.

I was at Walmart the other day but I forgot to get them...I figured they would be a good thing to have considering I'm hitting the bus to Prime Saturday.