Comments By Kenny S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-snow.jpg avatar
  • Kenny S.
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

DOT physical gone wrong...

Just go to another place that specifically advertises that they do DOT physicals. They do not require any past medical history at all. Fill out the long form and if you no longer have sleep apnea don't mention it. Pay your $100 and get your card and get packed and hold your head high and go for what you want out of life! Good Luck :)

So what happens if she gets in a sleep related accident and they pull her medical history....... not so "Blessed" then.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Starting Prime 11/30/15

Lynchburg...you? Are you on the greyhound? I just couldn't do it. I rented a car and I'm leaving around 3pm.

Richmond. And yes unfortunally I am. Man if we would have spoke sooner I would have split the cost with you for sure.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Starting Prime 11/30/15

I have my learners. I took the test here in Virginia.

Congrats. Your already ahead of 75% of your class. I studied at home religiously however I am waiting to finish the permit at Springfield. What part of VA you from?

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Starting Prime 11/30/15

Word of advice, if you plan on getting your CDL Permit in Springfield find the Moussuri manual online and study NOW! They have made changes to their program and give you hardly any time to study for it. I was there last week as well and you would be surprised how many people got sent home because they couldn't pass their tests.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Starting Prime 11/30/15

I'm heading to springfield now from VA.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

DOT physical gone wrong...

This is the exact same thing I going through with Prime. The answer to your question is they do not report. HOWEVER if your in a accident, your medical history will open up like a can of worms and lawsuits could occur towards yourself or your company for not reporting the sleep apnea.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Prime truly cares.

Thanks everyone. The puzzle pieces are beginning to fall into place and I'm starting to think this is the right choice for me.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Prime truly cares.

When you finish your training you will be his most loyal employee. Hearts and minds my friend. I love it.

my thoughts at the beginning were to stay with prime just long enough to pay for my cdl. Now I'm beginning to think of long term goals with this company.

Posted:  6 years, 1 month ago

Prime truly cares.

Some of you may remember that about a week ago I started a topic in regards to the beginning of my training with Prime. Since starting last Monday my world had been turned completely upside down and back again all thanks to Mr. Low the owner of Prime. Here's how:

Before coming to prime, I notified them that I had Sleep Apnea and that I did not use my machine. I was told "that's no problem, worst case scenario you will take another sleep study." I wasn't fond of taking another one of those however if the company was going to cover most of the cost then I was okay with it.

During the second day of training everyone went to Medical for the physical. The doctor asked about my sleep apnea and I gave him the response. He said nothing and sent me on the way. Tuesday night I received a text from another doctor telling me to meet her at 9:00 am. As instructed I did just that. She told me that I was being sent home. The reason was the fact that I hadn't been using my machine. I'd have to use it for at least 30 days and come back. Was also instructed that I had to leave that day and that Prime would not pay for me to go home.

I was destroyed. I had very little money to spend and couldn't even begin to process the thought that I was technically homeless for the night. I found a plane ticket going home for dirt cheap. I booked the flight and decided to use the shuttle to get there. Plane left at 1:50pm and the driver wouldn't go to the airport until 1:00pm. I got on the bus promptly at 1:00. I asked him if he would go to the airport first. He said " No, it isn't my concern for you." I wanted nothing more than to yank him out of the seat.

Well I finally got to the airport with 20 minutes till. Unfortunately it was too late to board. I was also not issued a refund. The little bit of money I had was gone. And whether I like it or not, I was spending the holidays in the airport. I found a couch to lay on and just tried to gather my thoughts.

Out of anger and disbelief, I found the Owner of Prime's email online. Since I didn't have anyone to talk to and figure he wouldn't get the email anyways, I told him everything that was on my mind. I was mean or disrespectful, but firm. I eventually fell asleep.

I awoke 30 minutes later to four TSA agents standing over me. "Youve got a phone call" my response was how do you know it's for me? " I've got your picture." He point to a picture on his cell phone that was taken at prime. I answered the phone and it was Mr Low. He told me he was sending someone to pick me up and was putting me in a hotel for the night. I was speechless. Sure enough another shuttle showed up and we departed.

The hotel was nothing like I was expecting. 1st class all the way. I walked in the front door and the woman behind the desk says " we were expecting you, here's your room key, enjoy the rest of your night." Went To the room and unpacked, as I was so exhausted I fell asleep before even getting undressed.

I awoke early in the morning to Mr.Low calling me. He asked how my night was and told me he was looking into my medical situation. He told me he was sending me home via plane and that he wanted me to spend the holiday with my family. If he could work around my medical, he would bring me back. I was stunned. Some guy who has never seen me in his life is going above and beyond to help me.

Friday morning I get a call again from him telling me that they are willing to pay for me to take another sleep study and all necessary equipment. I was so shocked he said "Hello?" Three times before I agreed to the terms. Now at 8:30 pm I find myself heading back for Prime. Never in my life have I met someone like him. I look forward to the day I can shake his hand and tell him how grateful I was this thanksgiving for his actions. This world needs more people like that.

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

I will add something to this thread, when I was a company driver I was dispatched out of the Pittston yard. At that time, most of the fleet managers there had 1 priority, the NE. I had to really fight to get loads that kept me out of the NE. Don't know if that is still true, but something to be aware of.

Like you, I live in VA. So they try to get you to stay as close to the NE as they can. Just be firm about not wanting to be kept up in the NE.

As has been pointed out, the parking/roads/traffic can really wear on you.

Ernie

I'm 30 mins from pulling into Springfield to start my school and now I feel like I am going to have added pressure to go NE. Not cool.

My road to Prime.

Good luck! Keep your head up through all the trials! And study for that permit big time! Couldn't tell you how many people fall out because of that alone.

Appreciate it. I've had plenty of studying time. If I had to take the test right not I'd be confident.

Starting out. Question about Prime recruiting...

I got better responses using email. Try their email address.

Same here

The Road To Prime Inc.

11/20/15

Finally after everything was said and done I took my seat on the "Grey Dog" headed for Springfield,MO. But before you get to this stage, you've got to apply at Prime! Filling out their online application will most likely be the easiest part in securing your future as a truck driver. They will ask basic info as any employer would ( contact info, employment history,drug use,medical issue and driving history) Unlike the other companies I applied at, Prime didn't reach out to me, I had to contact them. ( Tip: It's always a good idea to give Prime a call after you fill out your app. It shows that you are really interested in the job.) After maintain contact, they will ask for you to send them copies of your paystub and social security number. You will decide when you you want to attend orientation and they will get your info processed. Next is actually getting there. You can either take the bus (free) or you can provide your own transportation and Prime will reimburse you the cost of the bus ticket.( If you have the money, get other transportation!)

The Road To Prime Inc.

Hey Everyone,

After debating the subject for over two years I have finally decided to become a OTR truck driver. Here is my overview for start to finish with Prime Inc. I will try my best to share my expirences as quickly as I can. Due to the nature and training of the job I may not be able to post every night. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot me a message. Enjoy!

My road to Prime.

Good luck! Hope to be there in the spring!

Maybe i'll see ya around, thank you.

My road to Prime.

Hey guys. I know this isn't the right place for this post but I just wanted to give everyone considering a career with Prime a heads up on what's to come. I'm currently riding the Greyhound to Springfield and plan on sharing with everyone my expirence from the first step all the way to the end for anyone who has questions. So stay tuned.

Prime Regional

Hey Kenny!

I'm up in Manassas in Prince William County. I'm hoping to be driving for Prime in the spring, and I've been told by a LOT of people that regionals are possible, but not probable, especially fresh out of training. Prime is mostly OTR, so if you go with them I would expect to do that for a while. Also, I've been told not to ask for the NE regional, especially fresh out of training. Maybe after some time. Whenever there is more pay involved, it's for a reason. There are also reasons you'll hear a bunch of people talk about how awful driving in the NE can be. As with anything, you can get used to it and any good driver really should be able to drive in any type of situation.

I have a thread I started called "Specific Questions for Prime Drivers" or something like that. Search for that thread. There was a lot of good information there.

Thanks! I'll check it out

Greyhound Bus to company-sponsored CDL training

So I gotta ask since I'll be making the trip Friday.... How bad is the ride? What makes it so bad on the bus

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

You'll learn quickly that the north east in a big truck can be strenuous at times. Lack of parking, heavy traffic, rough winters, rough roads, tighter road network. Tolls aren't an issue since prime uses ez pass. Some guys love Walmart dedicated, I personally don't care for it because it's a lot of waiting. The back room employees can't open the door to let you in, management has to come let you in. Even with calling into the store and knocking on the back door, expect to wait for a while. Some stores are better than others, but the managers aren't going to make you priority.

I got asked yesterday if I was interested in NE regional

Prolly a long shot

I got an offer from lowes home improvement 15/ hr 40hrs/wk. I'm prolly going to take it because it's more than just holding a steering wheel. we install what we deliver I'm looking forward to it. Just wondering if anyone has any expirence with them. I know it's a long shot cause most guys are otr. My hats off to you otr guys I could only last 13months but I wouldn't change it for the world...be safe drivers

I was a district operations manager for Lowes. On that note, I'll be brutally honest with you. That job is not worth the 15/hr your making. Your essiesntally doing the job of two people AND have to deal with the general public which can be difficult to begin with. If you have your CDL, you are putting your skills to waste doing this. Don't get me worng, I enjoyed working for Lowes. But I would never fathom the idea of being a delivery/installer for them. Don't take my word for it..... ask an installer already.