Comments By Thomas (Knot Head)

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig6.jpg avatar

A little advice

"... my local school. $2,500..."

Wow, $2,500 is cheap. I don't understand the huge difference but my school charges $5,500. Hope to take advantage of a company's tuition reimbursement program at hiring time!

The local private school that I really want to attend is actually giving me a discount because I am a firefighter/EMT. So my tuition would be $2,500. I think it normally is between $3,000 and $3,500. That is for 4 weeks. My local community college offers a two month program between $800 and $1,200. I can't remember the exact number on that one.

A little advice

I have been doing a lot of research lately. Seems like the ideal route to get into trucking would be to go to a private school and possibly get several offers from different companies. I don't have the means to come up with the money up front for my local school. $2,500. So I have been looking at companies with their own schools. I have narrowed it down to Swift and Millis Transfer. I am curious what people that have gone through their schooling have to say and for anyone what works for either company for their opinions too. Thanks in advance.

TMC or Maverick?

I currently drive for TMC so if you wanna ask me anything specific feel free to ask

I sent you a private message. But what kind of truck did you get assigned to?

It all depends what's in the appearance bay the day test out I requested a 379 13 speed and got that, they are phasing them out and going to the 579 within the next year or so there will be only 579. 579 being the newer model peterbilt with a 9 speed transmission and more aerodynamic look to it verses the old school square Pete 379. All of their trucks are top of the line and taking extremely good care of and washed quite frequently lol

Well I kinda hate that but like it at the same time. I love the look of the 379 but I would like the room in the 579's. Did you get my message?

TMC or Maverick?

I sent you a private message. But what kind of truck did you get assigned to?

TMC or Maverick?

Maverick has a sign in TN posted in their yard: $60k/year+ starting wage for drivers.

I have looked and compared the two by several aspects. I even emailed them both but still waiting on one to reply back. I really like both. I really like both company's equipment. Just wondered if I could get some professional advice from other TMC or Maverick employees. What the cons are for each.

TMC or Maverick?

What is everyone's opinion between the two. I like them both but am having a hard time deciding between the two. Any thoughts, pros, cons about either? Would prefer actual facts, not just rumors.

I know I have been asking a lot of questions but I am just trying to get everything lined up for when I do make the career change to trucking.

Flatbed or van?

Well if you list your concerns we may be able to help.

As for flatbedding, you either like it or you don't. For more it is more than just a job, it is a passion.

Fair enough. I am afraid that I would be getting in over my head with flatbed. The extra time it takes to tarp everything, waiting on places to load and unload you. I'm worried about all the extra time waiting around. (That's just a guess since I really don't know.) But I do like the ideas of actually getting out and being more active than you would normally be driving van. And obviously another perk is the extra cents per mile over van.

One of the biggest things I am reserved about with van is the larger blinds spots because of the trailer unlike flatbed. Also the physical aspect of van driving. Not really getting out as much and moving around. I know it would be up to me to make a bigger effort to be healthier. I don't want to get wrapped up in just running and running and running and running to make money that I choose to track to the unhealthier side like fast food and lack of exercise.

I guess I am just wondering what you all think is better and what would be better and practicle for a rookie? I don't want to take the "easy" route, if there is one, but I don't want to get in over my head.

Flatbed or van?

I got a question. I am debating between a few choices. As a brand new CDL driver, would it be a better idea to go out for a dry van/refer or flat bed?

I like the appeal of both but also have some concerns and reservations about both.

Just some questions and concerns

Thank you Old School. I did look up Prime but from what I gathered, and I could be wrong, it appears that they want me to get a Missouri CDL. I read it a few times on their website and that is what I swear I read but don't understand it.

I have been reading up on Millis Transfer and really thinking about going with them. But one question I have is if I go there and after a free years decide I want to try a different company, would the training I received at this company work for the next one? Or at that point would it be just the experience that matters?

Millis Training at Eden NC

I don't mean to waste your time or anything but I have been wondering and considering them for the CDL school as well. If you end up going there please let me know what you think and your experience was with them.

Just some questions and concerns

You may have found out that you can actually get a CDL-A without the schooling, with a friend network or something. But you would still miss the other part: official training from an accredited school. No dice. You need the sheepskin from a school before any major, or even minor, trucking company will even look at your resume. You may find a school that could get you a discounted "fast track" rate since you do have the full CDL-A. (Or do you? That's not clear here.)

We're here to help.

No I had no choice but to let my learner's permit lapse. So now I am back to just a Class B non-CDL. Thank you for all the information all of you have been able to provide so far. I really do want to give it a try. Just got to find financial assistance. I do have somewhat of an idea of where I would like to go. I have been checking out the companies that the local driving schools around me us and there is about 3 or 4 companies that I am really interested in.

Just some questions and concerns

Thank y'all for your input. Errol: I do have a wife and two step kids. 16 and 14 years old. So I know gong into it that I would be separated from them from time to time but I am almost doing that now with my current schedule. The shift schedule I am on now makes me flip from first shift to third shift every two weeks. The two weeks I am on third it is like I am not even here anyway. I am at work while they sleep and then I am sleeping while they are up and about. I have been doing this shift work for 8 years and I am just getting burnt out on the shifts, the "clients" that we have to deal with and office politics.

I did work part-time for FEDEX Ground as a home delivery driver, mostly during the Holiday Seasons. I know it is not like truck driving but I like to think it is as close as I have gotten so far. I enjoyed it. I would pick up my rental cargo van, load my route packages, get my manifest and turn by turn directions and then head out. I enjoyed the hell out of it. I was so used to working and being involved in emergency services, that this was a welcomed break from my "normal". It was nice to just load my van, go drive and deliver with no one on my back. The temp agency I worked with that contracted with them let the contract expire so all of us got thrown out.

Like you said Gizmo, I am not looking to get rich and I know that truck driving is not going to make me rich but I just want to be able to make all my bills and have some left over to be "comfortable".

My first idea was to try and get into trucking part-time just to see if I would like it, then make the switch to full-time if I did. But I have learned, the hard way, that there is almost no way to get into this career without jumping in it full throttle. No one around here wants you unless you went to a trucking school or had experience and I have neither. I did go and get my learner's permit and had it for 6 months. A buddy of mine was trying to get me hooked up with a buddy of his that has his own truck but that guy would never answer his phone and wouldn't return my messages. I was trying to find someone that would take me out, even if it was daily and so me what it all entails, and if possible let me drive to get comfortable with it before I went and took the road test for get my CDL. But that all fell apart. I learned very quickly that what I thought I could do, wasn't going to happen. Can't always get what you want. lol.

Just some questions and concerns

I was wondering what kind of advice anyone could give me on what it is like for "rookies" out on the road? I have always been interested in driving a truck as far back as I can remember. As a kid I rode across the country in a truck, once, and then again up around the New England area, once.

I have been thinking for about a year or two now about maybe trying to change careers to trucking. I have a bunch of questions, concerns and fears. My first concern is that I don't know if I would enjoy the trucking lifestyle. I think I could but I don't like jumping into something without knowing exactly what I am getting myself into, or at least an idea. I only know two people that are friends that drive trucks and I have been talking to them but both of their companies do not allow riders. I was wanting to ride to get an idea if this is really what I want or not. My next biggest concern is that I already live paycheck to paycheck and I DO NOT have the funds to pay for CDL school and I don't have the credit score that would allow me to get a loan for it. So schooling is my first problem.

Random thought: Is there any company that would actually consider 12 years of driving fire trucks as "experience"? Would it matter at all? I do have a Class B, but it is not a CDL because emergency vehicles are exempt in my state.