Comments By Matt S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Matt S.
  • Comments:

No support

I only had support from my brother and mom. My dad and just about everyone else thought I had flipped my lid when I made the decision to walk away from Information Technology. My girlfriend left me pretty much on the spot, and while it hurt initially, she freed me up to try a new adventure. I have had something of an epiphany about life and not staying in situations that are miserable or distasteful. I walked away from the career because I HATE the office and I LOVE to travel. I don't consider myself to be a "people" person, instead I am a "person" person. I can get along well with individuals or in very small groups and I'm feline-like to the extent that I'm more solitary leaning. The bottom line is do what you need to do to make your life fulfilling. I had to learn to stop pretending to be somebody that I'm not. I'm not white collar, I'm blue collar to the core and happy as all get-out about it.

What is the best way to part ways with a trucking company?

How is the best way to part company with an Otr company.

I would treat it with the same way you would treat any job: give two week's notice and be polite and professional. In your resignation letter, thank them for the opportunity and be as diplomatic as possible.

Anyone have experience with SWIFT?

Thanks for the input guys.. I took their online tests last night and passed them all so im just waiting to hear from one of them so i can go to Millington, TN for the school... Im really nervous and upset that i have to leave my 3 year old boy and 3 month old girl but I desperately need money to give them everything they deserve. They told me the training was two weeks and orientation was the last week? Also im confused on the pay cuts for the schooling... One person told me $30 a week and the computer says $75 a week. ?

Very soon you should receive another email with some links to some extra information about the school. I recently got an email with some additional info about Richmond. I think it is actually a 150.00 deduction until school is paid for. Why not do the High Road Training Program on here and go and get your CDL permit before going to the academy. You will find that this program is almost exactly like your state's CDL manual and is a great tool. Getting your permit will be one less stressor. I wish you all of the best!

Well failed my work related physical for flatbed

Today my first day of orientation at CT did the work related physical where you have to pick up a crate with weights in it i picked up the first time fine then she added more weights did that 1 too but the third time she added weights i couldnt pick it up and put it on the counter now failed it and getting sent back home its a bummer i feel like s*it i dont know what to do now they told me i can go in there refrigerated division theres no lifting physical for that but thats i am gona be out for weeks i want to be home every weekend atleast does anybody know any van companies that has automatic trucks and home every weekend thank you

Man, that's a bummer but keep your head held high. You've done well up until the final test. Can you take a month, improve your strength, and try again? You might even be able to find a regional, home weekends job on craigslist. Check for your area. In the mean time, don't give up the ghost! :-) We're cheering you on.

Dyno run on my new small block Chevy motor

Sounds wicked cool, Brett. Here's where I confess to being a Ford guy! LOL!

Agility

Well fellas my first company came crashing down today. I passed the dot just fine. The agility was a diffrent story. My heart rate spiked and never came back down. I was sent home. This agility test will get you if ur nervous. I wasn't even breathing heavy. The guy told me to breathe more so I listened and almost passed out from hyperventilating. I was sick a week ago and am still recovering so could be why. Anyway the company was conway.

P.s I guess I'm selling g cars for a while. Least I halve some sort of backup

Man, I'm sorry to hear. Don't give up .... there are other companies out there that will hire you. You don't have to settle for selling cars. Check out Werner, Swift, Knight, and Prime.

Is my trainer gonna kick me outta the truck?

Lol. Thanks all even though you think i'm wierd....lmao.

rofl-3.gif

Heh! I laughed when I read your post. You know, it's actually possible to be too clean. You need your immune system to know how to fight germs because germs and virii evolve. I found I got sick less frequently when I obsessed less over cleanliness.

LOOKING FOR A GOOD SCHOOL

Hey everyone! I'm new to this and I wanna get my CDL's!! I'm looking for a good school to go to that is not goin to rip me off!! I hear a lot of bad bout these schools!! I live in Pennsylvania, Outside of Philadelphia, can anyone please referred me to a good school??!!

Thanks for your time

Hi Carlo,

I'm just outside of Philly too. Go Eagles! Anyhow, you have lots of options which could be going to a private school or a company-sponsored one. I'm going company-sponsored through Swift on Nov. 24th. Swift has a school in Richmond, VA and their nearest terminal is in Harrisburg. Another member of this forum, Eckoh, had a good experience at the Richmond Academy. Swift basically gives you an interest free loan for 3900.00 for the cost of the training which you pay back over one year of employment. If you have questions, send me private message. I can let you know the name of the recruiter I spoke with.

Matt

Will companies hire beginner drivers in their early 60's?

Thanks for all the replies! Didn't know there was IT guys out there driving trucks. Great to hear all the positive comments and Attila said it all about the IT industry.

I'm looking at Roadmaster because they offer weekend training for CDL. I haven't found a company sponsor training that offers weekends. I'm still working my IT job.

I love new challenges. Just 4 years ago I got my motorcycle endorsement and now I love riding my Goldwing on trips. I never want to wonder what it would be like doing something.

Hope to see you all on the road someday.

Another ex-IT guy here! Wishing you the best!

Knight

Ive always been curious about Knight. I hear alot of bad things about the company BUT the company cant be all bad since its such a strong history. There are a few thing about Knight on YouTube, and if your serious about running with them, then Id tell you to find out as much as possible about the company, ask questions to recruiters, and get the low down... Aside from that... Good luck with them!!

Sounds like I'd consider the source of the complaint. They are probably disgruntled and don't recognize that their poor attitudes contributed to their circumstances. I've seen similar ones about Swift and there are at least three drivers here employed by them. One got a brand new 2015 tractor just off of training and another landed a sweet gig on a dedicated account for Marvel Universe. I'm waiting to go to school for Swift on Nov. 24th and the prevailing advice I get is to come prepared with a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.

Looking For A Company Sponsored School

Monday I started trucking school at Swift trucking.On Thursday we had 3 attempts at backing in a straight line. I had the truck and trailer at the last cone when the instructer blew his whistle. He said I had crossed his imaginary line. I was not the only one he did this to,so my question is, How do I go about getting a company to sponsor my training and go to work for them ?

I'm sorry this happened. Maybe you could work something out with your Swift recruiter where you could buy your bus ticket back to the academy and try again? Talk to your recruiter, don't give up the ghost with Swift. I will bet that by you offering to pay for your transportation it will show them that you're serious.

Don't you just love the MVA

Maryland's bureaucracy is legendary! I feel your pain.

First week out with my Swift Mentor

I'm glad you're sharing your experiences because we can all learn a lot from you. I think you will probably go quite far!

Pretty cool opportunity with Swift

You just proved that working hard and being reasonable pay off! That's one very sweet gig you got and enjoy it. I'm jealous .... Lol

U-Turn in big rig and.... your fired! ??

There's a video on youtube of a truck driver trying to do a u turn and messes up the truck no u turn

Damn! That's a bad day but the driver made a poor decision. Am guessing he should've called for state police or police assistance?

Big Rig Bounty Hunters

Hi guys, just thought of sharing this. This program comes on the History channel, but since I dont have cable I watch it on Amazon. Check out THE TWINS in Dayton, Ohio, Season 2. They are not into technology so while others google maps they use the paper map. Its hilarious!!!

Great show! I like the ex-cons. They keep me laughing!

First week out with my Swift Mentor

There is a Transflo app, but sadly Swift doesnt support it. So im currently stuck scanning the old fashioned way.

Todays adventure:

I wake up and pick up my truck from the shop. My DM gets me three trips (2 short and one long) to help me fill out my weekend. I head to my first pick-up, it is a rail yard, and they dont accept empties do i ask my DM to route me sonewhere i can drop it. So she sends me to a nearby Dollar Tree DC (a Swift dedicated customer). I head over, get in line, and finally get to the guard shack. They wont accept it. Now I'm waiting to hear from my DM about what to do with this sucker.

Dang, man! I have to admire your attitude of just rolling with the punches. If you can keep this cool, you've got this made. LOL!

Drove with a loaded trailer for the first time

I finally got a mentor with Swift Transportation and did my first run. He threw me right in. I did about 300 miles in the rain in the mountains of West Virginia. I had never driven a loaded trailer or done mountains or even driven an 18 wheeler at night. However I learned a lot and took it slowly.

Just happy I ended up with a good mentor so waiting was worth it.

I get to learn in a 2014 kenworth t680 for about the next month.

How long did you have to wait for a mentor?

Two break downs in as many days

Yeah that was some pretty incredible turn around time! Sorry for your troubles but, hey, you really handled it well. :-)

Averitt Express

I thought about applying until I saw that 5 years thing

That's kind of the neat thing about an industry with a critical shortage of labor. To a greater or lesser extent, you're in the driver's seat - pun fully intended. I will bet that they will, at the very least, talk to you if not hire you despite that single moving violation. If that single moving violation is relatively minor, so much the better.