Comments By Jason E.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/black-pete-nose.jpg avatar
  • Jason E.
  • Comments:

Prime Trucking Flatbed Division: Comments & Complaints?

Thanks everyone for the input! I despise the idea of team driving, and feel like it'd be a long 8 weeks. I think I'll be better off doing regular hauls, and consider Prime Flatbed after I have enough experience that I can skip the trainer stage (anyone know how long that is?).

Prime Trucking Flatbed Division: Comments & Complaints?

I been in Primes flatbed division for almost 6 months as a company driver and am loving it. The pet policy is $1000, but they can take it out of your check in $50 or $100 payments a week. The lightweight refrigerated company drivers actually make more per mile. Don't lease, company drivers do well at Prime.

Thanks for jumping in! What about strength? You gotta be able to bench 150 to strap stuff down securely, or are those tie downs on flatbeds mechanically leveraged so anybody could get em tight?

-Jason E.

Prime Trucking Flatbed Division: Comments & Complaints?

See also: Prime Inc Paid CDL Training Program Review

Hey All, I just got off the phone with a recruiter from Prime Trucking. They said everything looks good and I should have my pre-hire in a couple days. So, school doesn't start for me for another two-weeks and I've got a pre-hire with Werner, Prime, and Swift. I'm considering them in that order as well. I was looking for thoughts on Prime here. I've read a lot about them. The recruiter says if I did refrigerated, I'd eventually have to lease to make money (uhm, what?). If I went flatbed, which she suggested is best for where I live, I'd be team-drive training for approximately 8 weeks, at $500 week for the first 5 weeks, and $700 week every week after that. At this point, I'd go out on my own in my own truck, and company drivers get 40 cents per mile, and an additional $50 every time I have to tarp something.

Werner seemed like the best company, but looking at the numbers here, it seems I may be better off with Prime. I'm not sure their pet policy, that's a big one for me. My concern is that flat beds usually have straps, and I imagine it taking ALOT of strength to strap down some of these loads I see on flatbeds, and a lot of strength is one thing I don't have. Would this be an issue? I've been thinking about leasing (outside of the company) 6-9 months down the road to have my own truck and run my own policies, without being strapped down to a company. I'd appreciate any input here, as my gut tells me Werner but .40 per mile looks pretty good as well.

Regards, Jason E.

Werner Enterprises: How are the trucks?

Hey All, Some of you may remember I was worried about passing my physical, because of my wrist. Well, yesterday I passed! I've also been informed that all of my moving violations have been removed from my driving record by my attorney, and to top it all off, I received three pre-hire letters today before even starting school!

Anyways, my reason for posting is because I am heavily leaning towards Werner. I don't want to be with a trainer for 6 weeks, because of medical/privacy issue, but I'm gonna suck it up and I guess my trainer is gonna have to deal with it. I really like that they have a rider and pet policy, so I can bring my dog with me, and the pay seems pretty good starting out, as well as the tuition reimbursement (boy do I need it). I have no obligations to be home, so I can literally run 24/7 and not give a damn. I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on their trucks or what they stick the new guys in? If I'm gonna be OTR long periods I don't want to be put in some POS that has more mechanical problems than a lot lizard has STDs. From what I understand, after orientation you get to take your truck home to get all settled in, and you also get to take it home on your days off (you are literally, ASSIGNED, this truck, as if it were your own)? YouTube seems to be filled with nothing but negative comments about every company, no matter who you drive for, so I won't be getting any useful feedback there.

Thanks All, Jason E.

For what it's worth, the Werner Recruiter was the only one who actually called me back, and I didn't have to chase around.

Werner Enterprises: How are the trucks?

Thanks All, Jason E.

Documentary: "Big Rig"

I was expecting to hear from truck drivers from all different backgrounds, not solely from truck drivers that fit the publics perception.

Jason,

You have no idea about who I am, where I come from and what it took for me to get here. I asked that to see what your response would be, and, you took the bait.

The folks on this site, including me, do not give a damn about some closed minded stupid documentary that tries to label drivers as "redneck", "southern", "white trash", or any other label.

You posted with a bias and wanted a respone that would dispute it. So, I have to ask you a question. Are you a truck driver?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, or what your problem is.

Documentary: "Big Rig"

Thank you for the replies! It confirms my thinking that this documentary doesn't document s***, except what's convenient.

Documentary: "Big Rig"

Documentary: "Big Rig"

... and all rednecks with southern accents. I'd just like to know everyone elses opinion.

Best, Jason E.

What's wrong with rednecks and a southern accent?

It plays to the negative stereotype of truckers that so many truckers hate. Redneck, southern accent, trailer trash, domestic issues, etc. They say in the video how much they can't stand the way their treated and the way the public treats them, how they want respect. So, this film goes ahead and chooses a couple truckers with multiple marriage issues and the husband cheated on the wife. Could they not find a better example of your average, hard working, trucker? Everyone in this video somehow played to the stereotype. Black guys excluded.

-J

Documentary: "Big Rig"

Hello All, I just watched a documentary on YouTube, called "Big Rig": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ45iaQgJjk What are your thoughts on this documentary? I wasn't too fond of it, I felt it shows a biased view of the American Truck Driver. It seems they were looking for the stereotypical truck driver. This documentary filmed all owner operators, at extreme fuel prices, the height of the recession, and all rednecks with southern accents. I'd just like to know everyone elses opinion.

Best, Jason E.

AIT (American Institute of Trucking) Phoenix, AZ vs other 160 hr courses

At AIT's Las Vegas location I was offered a 4-Week Course and then 6-Weeks in training with your pre-hire company, or $7,500 if you financed. I couldn't figure out the difference, because they both have 4 weeks of instruction and then 6 weeks working for whichever pre-hire you decide on (I'm aiming for Werner). So I'm thinking the financing option is more because they're tacking on a ridiculous fee or something, or possibly the interest. More likely they're trying to get their money back on people they don't collect from. Who knows.

Best Regards, Jason E.

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

Just to let you know Swift owns Central Refrigerated. For the physical part it's just a standard DOT physical for Swift.

I'm just not sure I wanna share a room with 3 strangers for 4 weeks!

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

I just applied to Prime and Central Refrigerated as well. My preferences are Knight, Swift, Prime, Central, and as a last result if I can't make it anywhere else, CR England. I don't like what they've got going on. I may ask some family/friends to help me get a loan or something to take the private route if I can't get any of the above. This wrist issue and being able to lift 60 pounds has me a bit worried, to be honest. So I may take the private route (if I can find funds) and go through that while working up my strength and getting my range of motion back to the norm. I'm going to give the physical a shot either way, but this will be my plan of action if I can't pass it. Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

Nothing But The Best, Jason E.

C..R. England; Good or Bad?

I'll make this quick, Stay away from CR England unless you plan on just getting your CDL and leaving to a better company that will reinburse your tuition and provide better training. Thats what I did, 17 days got my CDL and said see you later I bought my own bus pass and I'm out.

How does that work?

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

I've just applied at CR England as well, but it seems they are almost trying to force you into leasing, and at about 25-27CPM they are one of the lowest paying after you get out of training. So, they're a last resort after Knight and Swift, if all else fails. Does anybody have thoughts on them?

Regards, Jason E.

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

Did you ever get this? It would be great if you could post it here.

Nope! I just called her to follow up. Found out "Unfortunately she wouldn't be able to get me in, because I have more than 1 year of unemployment in the past three years." Guess they weren't going to call me or let me know that. Maybe I need another recruiter. Guess I filled out something wrong on the app? Pulled up my resume and I definitely don't have more than a year of unemployment, and while I was unemployed, I was a student! So, we'll see. Anyways, trying to get in contact with the Swift trainer now! Gotta have a back up! Really wanted to go with Knight, but I think the recruiter may be avoiding me now.

-Jason E.

Sorry for the experience with Knight, Jason. Definitely give Swift a jingle and you may want to ask for Joan Ivie. She's very nice and honest.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely give her a shot. If I don't hear from my recruiter at Knight tomorrow, I'm going to call the 800 number and ask for another recruiter. I'm thinking I must've filled out the employment history incorrectly or something.

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

Did you ever get this? It would be great if you could post it here.

-Jason E.

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

I've also heard that you have to "be able to drag a 125 pound fifth wheel." Anybody know about this or can tell me what the hell that is?

-J

Obtaining Double-Triple/HAZMAT/Tanker Endorsements?

Hey Folks, So I was wondering if I can take all my endorsement tests the day I go down to the DMV to get my Class A permit? The CDL Training Material on here is also to get the endorsements and not just the basic license, correct?

Regards, Jason E.

Swift Vs. Knight Transportation? Who To Choose!?

I'm going to go with Knight, so we will find out soon enough. I'll be seeing the doctor this Thursday for the hand, but if repair/recovery is gonna be more than a month I'm going to just go do the physical and wing it, hoping I get by. If I fail, I'll just go back when my hand is normal. My recruiter is sending me the details of what the physical requirements are, so I can test myself. Fingers crossed.