Comments By Steve L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Steve L.
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Any owner ops here?

I’m a company driver and intend to stay that way. Why? Because I’ve owned my own (non-trucking) businesses and just don’t have the desire to own the depreciating, maintenance-requiring “assets.”

I’m probably less than ten years from retiring, so the debt and liabilities would probably ruin any plans I have.

Besides, have you seen all the announcements of companies closing? Even when we’re told the economy is booming? 🤔

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Eating cheap on the road?

Subway cold cut. Loaded up with veggies (‘cause the veggies are free). Use whatever points you can.

In my opinion, it’s way better (financially & healthwise) than the burger meals.

If you pull into a truck stop near a Walmart, tuna lunch kits, peanut butter & bread (I like “sandwich thins”).

I hope this helps.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

I love driving solo!

Congratulations! Man keep that positive attitude. Stay safe and enjoy the ride! 😊👍

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Giving Back

Do you ever give back?

If “profit is the thanks we get for treating our customers well” maybe we should consider our dispatcher, or driver manager, one of our customers.

Many of us are grateful for the money we make, but do we let the rest of our team know how much they’re appreciated?

Sometimes I get run so hard my weekly paycheck is a couple hundred bucks higher. So, if I spend $50 each quarter to say thank you, isn’t that worth it for the relationship? I doubt the other drivers are doing this. 😎

0375147001581989213.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Company drivers only get crappy used trucks

CONGRATULATIONS!!! That’s NIIICE!

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Y'all, Pray For Me

I love that area! Great food. Prayers for your swift healing from that painful experience. 🙏😆

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Headsets

I’ve used the Plantronics Voyager Legend for 5 years. Easy on and off and less bulky than most others. But I don’t like to be on the phone.

Posted:  4 months ago

Etiquette to other drivers at shippers/receivers?

Not your responsibility to babysit me. 😎

Posted:  4 months ago

NEED HELP DECIDING

With the experience you do have (managing processes) it seems a more conventional job would allow you to still care for your family’s needs.

I get the dream and desire and I may be misunderstanding your post. But I’m reading; a disabled child, cared for by a parent with their own health issues, while you are on the road. What stress will that cause you? Is it worth it?

As for taking your handicapped daughter on the road, I doubt it would be a good idea.

Every day people overcome incredible obstacles and prove conventional wisdom wrong. Maybe you are that person.

😊

Posted:  4 months ago

Well this sucks :( Sent home from Prime

Maybe there aren’t many positive reviews because those drivers are busy making themselves, and their company, money.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

No home time for me.

I’ve Always given at least two weeks notice and not had a problem.

If you hadn’t taken the Florida load, would you have gotten where and when you wanted? Sometimes, if I’ve got a must make home time, I tell ‘em I can only take that load if they can still get me home. If my pay takes a hit because I had to pass up a load, so be it.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Prime Lease Update

Hello all,

It’s been a long time. I last posted here before I went back to Prime for my second go around with TNT. Got in just before the change in miles. I also mentioned I would be going Lease. I know that lease is a no no around here, but I felt it was right for me.

So on the year I only had 6 mo this if solo time as a contractor, the rest of the year I was training it at my previous job.

In 6 months time I Grossed over $100k in revenue including reimbursements, fuel savings, detention pay etc. all the things I as a contractor receive money for. Now I know I do t get all of this money in the end I netted over $33k in 6 months. And after I paid my quarterly taxes I averaged .55/mile in my first 6 months.

So I’m posting this not to say haha or anything like that. But for those new drivers who are thinking about this. It can be done. But it will require much sacrifice and dedication. I worked all but 14-15 days in those 6 months. Taking only 1 34. I had to change my mindset from miles to revenue. I didn’t care if it was 200 miles I cared what was the total revenue and how did it fit into my average each week. You have to be business minded. Prime pays my business and I pay myself the minimum amount that I have been told is the minimum average that drivers make. That way if I get audited it won’t look fishy. In fact every decision I make is how do I do this and the business still turns a profit.

All in all I’m happy with my decision. What the future holds for me is unknown. I could stay a one truck operation or continue on my path of a small fleet. But 2019 my second go around in trucking has offered me the freedom to control my life.

I still appreciate this site for all it has done guiding me on this path. Even though I do t post much I stop to read from time to time.

I’m glad you are doing well. There will always be people who aren’t willing to make the sacrifices you are regardless of the type of business.

Congratulations on your success and I hope it continues!

One friend of mine, who’s an Owner/Operator, stays on top of the maintenance religiously. I encourage you to do the same and that truck should keep producing.

I hope you have continued success.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Driving routines

When I was “48 states” with Schneider, I usually started about 4-5am & tried to shut down by 4:30-5pm. Did I leave $ on the table? Maybe, but I was often running on recap hours & didn’t wanna sit for a 34 on the road. I was always doing 2,500 miles per week.

Now I mostly run FL MS LA & and sometimes start later. Today I’ll start around 11am. I rarely do my 10hr at a truck stop. FL scales are my favorite place to park, always room & quiet.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Going north!

You’ll probably surprise yourself at how good you are and how easy it’ll be.

You can go too slow all day long, but you’ll go too fast only once. 😊

No mountains to drive. 👍

Enjoy!

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Training Location vs. Home Location

I’m pretty sure they’ll get you, either by bus or other means, to your first truck. When I started with Schneider and completed orientation, they paid for a rental car (up front) so I could drive from the Florida panhandle to the Nashville location to get my truck.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

The Highest Form Of Flattery

Wow! We probably know of a Writer who cringes at the thought; I guess anyone CAN be a writer. 😎

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Need advice about starting my trucking career

There’s a lot of freight between JAX and Savannah ports. I would think there’d be lots of driving jobs in the area.

I live in the panhandle and hired on to Schneider straight out of school. You might need to redefine what you consider “good companies.”

There’s a school near you. I don’t know the name, but I’ve passed it a bunch of times. Maybe talk to them and find out who hires out of their school. You don’t have to sign up, just maybe see if there’s any partnership between them and reputable companies.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Need advice about starting my trucking career

Where in Florida are you?

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Total Transportation of MS

Have you asked to go solo? If you need to make money and they can’t find a team driver, why not solo?

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Contemplating a Career Change

My daughter turns 12 tomorrow. I got into this five years ago.

I spent the first two years doing OTR “48 states” and home twice monthly. During that time my company got me home for Son’s wedding, Wife’s surgery and other major events. I drove for Schneider National, dry van.

Three years ago I came to a southeast regional company/job. I get home weekly, often multiple times a week. My current company has gotten me home for my Daughter’s dance recitals and even for the Daddy/Daughter rehearsals each week. I guess I have it better than I sometimes think.

My relationship with my family has grown stronger in the past five years.

Time away was a little easier for me because I spent ten years in the Navy, much of it on ships.

When you make your decision, whatever that may be, stand tall and proud. Celebrate whatever the next chapter brings.

I hope this helps.