Comments By Steve L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Steve L.
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Newb Questions About CDL Training And Qualifications

I went private school and reported to Schneider Orientation three weeks after completing school because it was Christmas. I had plenty of pre-hires before graduation, but Schneider was where I wanted to go.

Big companies will usually (as Schneider did) do tuition reimbursement. So, even though I laid out the money up front, I got it back.

Some will say the company has no skin in the game if you go to private school, but (my opinion) they have no reason to bring you to Orientation just to spit you out either.

Why pay if someone else will? Schneider didn’t offer school when I went through and that was THE company I wanted.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

New tax law changes hit truck drivers hard

One more reason being a company driver ain’t so bad. I get per diem which makes a significant portion of my income tax-exempt. Yes, I know, my social security will be lower. And the new higher standard deduction is better for our family.

So, as a company driver, I’ve paid down or paid off >$15,000 just in the past year. AND our refund (same as last year).

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Endorsements: from day 1, or later?

I got money me when I took the permit test. All I needed was right here on this site.

So, as soon as I started driving dry van, I was able to haul hazmat and tankers (or totes that required the tanker endorsement).

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

W2 information

You might try contacting a local IRS office. If your employer failed to provide you a W-2, I guaran-dang-teeya they’ll respond to a notice from the IRS. 😆

But seriously, something sounds really off if two separate employers didn’t send one.

Is it possible the address you have on file with those employers is not where you live now?

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Is four weeks really enough?

TTS yes it’s enough. To get started. For the right people. Bring your positivity and be humble.

I did like you. After graduating from CDL school I went to Schneider. Arguably the shortest orientation in the biz. Four years later I’m doing fine and making a decent pay.

Heed the advice of experienced people, weigh opinions and make informed decisions.

You’ll probably do great!

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Had minor fender bender today.

Raptor, at least it was very minor and you got the dumb mistake out of the way early in your career.

Now onto your millions of safe miles. :)

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Congress committee looks at state of America's highways

Other than military, about the the only thing government does well is create committees.

Posted:  4 months ago

Uh Oh, the lock broke... LoL moment

"Washed my hands and walked out of the store like nothing happened...."

And didn't let the truck stop people know about the problem? Okay.

Posted:  4 months ago

Test Day

Congratulations Doug! I know you’ve overcome challenges many of us couldn’t face.

The story you are writing with your life, is an inspiration. Maybe one day Rainy could put it to paper and you’d both become wildly famous.

Keep on keepin’ On!

Posted:  4 months ago

Page Turners?

Right now I’m reading Douglas MacArthur, American Warrior.

I like writer named Steve Berry. His books incorporate history with intrigue. At the end of each of his books he tells you where historical fact is separate from fiction. Since he’s been on the Smithsonian Library Board, he knows history. All great books.

Reading a little of Proverbs each day is helpful. Especially when patience is thin.

Posted:  4 months ago

Pulled by DOT

I’ve had the same experience as Dave.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Another Driver Not Taking Responsibility

In the two years I drove for Schneider, Carlisle was my favorite OC.

The only times I had a trailer assignment issue was when I tried leaving before the system updated. It was no big deal.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Does living near a terminal allow for more hometime?

I live 275 miles from what could be called our terminal. But, I’m only a mile from one of our customer locations, where I park my truck.

My hometime is often better than if I lived near the terminal. I.e. I sometimes get to stop at home during the week, in addition to weekends.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

GPS under $150

Have you been using Truckerpath app? You can turn on the traffic function, which is helpful.

In four years I’ve never needed a “truck GPS.”

I bounce my Truckerpath trip plan against the Road Atlas to make sure it’s the best route. If I’m going through someplace like Atlanta, I’ll consider a backup plan.

Of course I also have the Qualcomm navigation also.

I hope this helps.

Steve,

I'm not as much worried about the main roads, I can look at the atlas vs Google maps to make sure that's ok. It's when you get into cities and stuff when I start to get worried. Do most companies give you a specific route? If so, is it normally pretty good at staying on truck routes?

Mine usually gives me an okay route. I live inPensacola also. What company are you moving to?

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

GPS under $150

In four years I’ve never needed a “truck GPS.”

Of course I also have the Qualcomm navigation also.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

3 minutes to spare!

God Bless you Rob! I've done that trip and it's no fun. Rest easy Driver. :)

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Super Singles or Dual?

Whichever the company pays for is fine with me. :)

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime's additional .20 CPM for teams?

As a rookie solo driver in dry van for Schneider, four years ago, I made right at $40k first year. I averaged 10,000 miles per month. $48-$50k second year.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Would it be wise?

Go with a trainer. Even if you learn nothing about driving/customers, you’ll have an opportunity to learn more about your new company.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

On my own in the road

Deep breath.

1. I’ve been buying coffee using the Pilot Philmor cup since I started with Schneider four years ago. But I only drink one (occasionally two) cup a day. 2. Get the lunchbox oven from Pilot or Loves. It plugs into the 12v outlets. You can buy small tin (bread size) pans at Walmart. Usually 3-5 per pack. I use them for soup or other warmed up stuff. I cover them with foil when cooking and throw it out after eating. Mine’s four years old and still works fine. Get spoons if you’re gonna have soup. 3. Breakfast bars, PopTarts and the like work for me. 4. A jar of peanut butter, bread and sturdy plastic forks will get you by when needed. 5. Only pick up enough fruit that it’ll keep. You’ll have a chance to use the Schneider car when at an OC, to get more groceries. 6. Don’t get an outrageously large cooler. You’re likely to get by an OC pretty regularly and they all have free ice.

I’m sure others will have suggestions, but this could serve you well until they put you into a newer truck, which might not be long. I was given a brand new truck 9 months in.

I hope this helps.