Comments By Steve L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Steve L.
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

3 minutes to spare!

God Bless you Rob! I've done that trip and it's no fun. Rest easy Driver. :)

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Super Singles or Dual?

Whichever the company pays for is fine with me. :)

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime's additional .20 CPM for teams?

As a rookie solo driver in dry van for Schneider, four years ago, I made right at $40k first year. I averaged 10,000 miles per month. $48-$50k second year.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Would it be wise?

Go with a trainer. Even if you learn nothing about driving/customers, you’ll have an opportunity to learn more about your new company.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

On my own in the road

Deep breath.

1. I’ve been buying coffee using the Pilot Philmor cup since I started with Schneider four years ago. But I only drink one (occasionally two) cup a day. 2. Get the lunchbox oven from Pilot or Loves. It plugs into the 12v outlets. You can buy small tin (bread size) pans at Walmart. Usually 3-5 per pack. I use them for soup or other warmed up stuff. I cover them with foil when cooking and throw it out after eating. Mine’s four years old and still works fine. Get spoons if you’re gonna have soup. 3. Breakfast bars, PopTarts and the like work for me. 4. A jar of peanut butter, bread and sturdy plastic forks will get you by when needed. 5. Only pick up enough fruit that it’ll keep. You’ll have a chance to use the Schneider car when at an OC, to get more groceries. 6. Don’t get an outrageously large cooler. You’re likely to get by an OC pretty regularly and they all have free ice.

I’m sure others will have suggestions, but this could serve you well until they put you into a newer truck, which might not be long. I was given a brand new truck 9 months in.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

I Wish I Were An Oscar Meyer Weiner...

I think it’d be more fun to drive the Idaho potato around. Saw those guys once and they were really great to talk to.

Thanks for the laughs y’all!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Lying Recruiters And The Dirty Lies

Respectfully, you signed up here less than 72 hours ago and nothing good to say? AND you never came here for direction BEFORE getting your CDL & first gig?

There are plenty of good companies and recruiters who don’t need to lie. But, if you approach them the same as you’ve done here, they may not want you.

Leave that chip on your shoulder behind. Accept that you have your CDL and the first job wasn’t a good fit. Then take your best, most positive attitude to a big company like Schneider, Prime, Swift, Knight, McElroy, Maverick or some other and get rolling.

Good luck!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Suspicion drug test

If it’s a reputable company (and you did say it’s large) I would find out the company policy first. AND I’d ask for some pay. But I have a rock solid performance record.

1. If they’re large and reputable, I gotta believe they have better things to do than chase down anonymous phone calls, or 2. Might they have been given more specific information and there may be other reasons they were willing to believe the tip?

If this were me (but it’s not) I would just explain that, while I appreciate the commitment to safety as am I, my bills still need to be paid and the family counts on my income. To have it interrupted just because of a false claim puts my family in a bind. If they’re short on drivers. Some type of compensation for one week has got to be less expensive than recruiting a new driver.

I’m not saying sue them. I wouldn’t. But I might be updating my resume.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Suspicion drug test

Did you ask if they’d pay you? Did you ask what the basis for their suspicion was?

We’re not lawyers and don’t even know where you are, so we probably can’t answer your question.

You could ask a lawyer and that shouldn’t cost you any money.

Good luck.

Posted:  6 months ago

Advice from company drivers

I started with Schneider as a company driver and stayed with them for two years. Operated out of their Lebanon, TN center.

Everything they promised was true. I only left for another company driver position that is Southeast regional.

I recommend you check schneiderjobs.com for the position you are applying for. There might be information there you want to verify with a recruiter. LeAnne (Lebanon recruiter) was terrific. No bs. No lies.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  6 months ago

Training Starts Monday At McElroy. I Need Advice!

Bring your positive attitude and follow directions.

Congratulations!

Posted:  6 months ago

Supreme Court rules in favor of truckers

Seems more like a matter of not being required to use arbitration than anything else.

Even if this gives the Plaintiffs a better chance at a big settlement, it’s a class action suit and usually only the attorneys get rich off of those.

Some of these “independent contractors” are like going through trade school to be a plumber and thinking you’ll magically come out the owner of the next Roto-Rooter.

Posted:  6 months ago

Passed my CDL

Congratulations!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

What's the Best Way to Prepare for Agility for Truck School?

Doug, you’re doing great! The only things I’d add are:

1. Carry a 35lb weight 50’. Schneider made us carry a weight about 25’ and checked heart rate after.

2. Duck walk eight feet. That’s about the width of a trailer.

Keep pressing on. I hope this helps.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

Ian, you are looking for others to answer a question that we CAN'T answer. Whether or not you will be hired?

This website doesn't guarantee jobs.

I believe you're in a place where ONLY YOU can go through this and come out the other side. We all handle adversity in our own way. You'll handle it and move on. Whether you're successful in getting another driving job remains to be seen. And maybe it isn't meant to be. At least for now.

Your preventable accident was PREVENTABLE. BY YOU. Accept that, admit that and move on. How could you have prevented it? Simple; you were getting fatigued and you failed to get yourself off the road. It could've resulted in a death. If I can't haul a load any further because of fatigue (or any other reason), I call in, tell dispatch and they can either reschedule the appointment or have another driver come and relay the load. If they fire me, they'll have to explain why. Probably to a lawyer. But I never get to that point because I look ahead and don't put myself or the company, in that position.

If you discuss the accident in an interview, you'd better be able to explain what YOU learned and what YOU could do differently, so as not to put your prospective new employer in the position of battling a lawsuit.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Training is done, rookie solo driver next week

Congratulations!

I prefer the AMT, but (for me) the most important thing was mastering the steep downhills in manual mode. It was different, not difficult. And in Atlanta or Chicago traffic, I’ll take the AMT all day everyday.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Newbie needs more advice... sorry guys

Jared; look at Schneiderjobs.com and look for the position you applied for. It should list a pay. But that may be an average which includes experienced drivers.

When you do talk to Schneider, ask them what you can expect first year and what increases there are. E.g. when I started with them, the pay started at $.30/mile, but I was at $.38 by the end of year one. Plus there was a $.02/mile bonus paid quarterly. That was an extra $600/qtr. for me. However, your bonus may be different since it’s a dedicated account.

Schneider’s answers to these questions (for me) were exactly what happened. No bait and switch from the recruiter. I was OTR, but did the Washington Courthouse stuff a number of times. Their dispatch crew there was great.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

I GOT MY CDL FROM SMITH AND SOLOMON

Congratulations! This is GREAT to hear.

Kudos, Kudos, Kudos!

YOU did it!!! Wonderful news and I hope you have a fantastic weekend!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

CDL GRAD / DUIs

Really? 22 years ago? I know Some companies are strict, but I didn’t think 22 years WITHOUT a DUI would be a problem.

Hmm.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

I've just received an unsolicited email message from a CDL recruiter.

Most of your questions will be answered, some in a thing companies do called Orientation.

If you’re lonely, get off your rear, away from the computer and get involved in a church or community service organization. It might help you shed those pounds you’ve talked about. And it’ll boost your self esteem.