Comments By Steve L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Steve L.
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Man’s world

This is one thing that disgusts me. I’ve seen drivers pull in, stop at the truck stop entrance and pee between the truck and trailer EVEN THOUGH there were plenty of parking spots. A few weeks back I saw (as I was driving down the interstate) a driver standing on his catwalk peeing AT THE REST AREA. To damn lazy to walk to the restroom.

Drivers wonder why places won’t let us park overnight and scum like these are why.

😡

Hold up! He was to lazy to talk to the bathroom but not lazy enough to climb on his catwalk to pee? WTF. rofl-1.gif

Yes! I don’t know if he got the urge while checking his air lines or what. But it was in full view of the interstate and where state troopers usually target big trucks for inspections.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Man’s world

😡

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Big Island, VA. GP facility.

Been there many a time. I think it’s funny to go to a big island so far inland. Kind of like Beech Island, SC near Augusta, GA.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

New Truck

Congratulations!!!!

Posted:  6 months, 4 weeks ago

Regrets

Kim, you might try Schneider. They had dedicated out of Washington Courthouse, OH that delivers to Walmart stores in WV. Also they used to (not sure if they still do) have a Target dedicated out of Stuart’s Draft, VA (near Charlottesville).

On the other hand; if you can afford it and your current pay will support it, maybe get yourself a small camper and start taking weekend trips. The weather is just about here for that.

Good luck.

Posted:  7 months ago

Wasted Day

Your DBL needs to step up and be your advocate with the planners. But you may need to remind your DBL this is a job and losing miles means losing pay.

Unless you’re on a dedicated/salary rate, your DBL should be able to get the planners to back you up with some better miles for the trouble you had.

Hang in there.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Worries regarding acquiring a cdl

no team driving with a trainer

You never went out with a trainer? You got your CDL at private school and immediately went solo?

Well if they’d just put everyone through the HRTP they’d save themselves a LOT of trouble. 😊

But seriously, I didn’t say I didn’t go out with a trainer.

I went OTR with, what Schneider calls, a Training Engineer (TE) for six days. Other than the four hour “demonstration” drive he did, the rest of the week he was in the passenger seat or outside supervising the backing.

We ran only one 8/11/14 clock each day. When my clock was up, that was it. I spent each night in a hotel room, on the company’s dime.

I really appreciate y’all making me feel so special. I don’t consider myself better than anyone else. But maybe...uh oh! Might not be able to get my head out of the sleeper in the morning. 😆

Okay. I’m very fortunate, Blessed, whatever you wanna call it. But it started here. And I’m glad you put this website out here...and free.

I hope your week is challenging AND rewarding!

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Worries regarding acquiring a cdl

Respectfully, this is what you said, “because to me it's not even debatable which is the better option.”

That’s why I said what I said.

I believe company-sponsored CDL school is a better option when and where it exists. But for me, private school was better because;

1. My preferred company didn’t offer it.

2. The closest community college offering it would’ve meant more than six months before I’d be earning money.

3. The combination of private school, and the company’s short Orientation, meant I was able to go solo in less than eight weeks, thus earning full pay and no team driving with a trainer.

My path isn’t best for everyone. But it has served me and my employer well.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Worries regarding acquiring a cdl

1. I agree; disingenuous was the wrong word. I apologize. 2. I never said private schools are better. 3. Since it’s not even debatable, I won’t attempt to persuade you. However, I’m grateful that when I came to this site, considering all options was encouraged.

Thanks.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Worries regarding acquiring a cdl

“PLEASE.....DO NOT give any of your hard earned cash to a private Trucking School. DO look into Company Sponsored Training.”

Really? The private school I graduated from had three recently retired Schneider drivers as instructors. Not all companies offered training in my area.

I have just as much respect for drivers regardless of who they trained with.

Thanks to tuition reimbursement, I’d say my experience was as good as any company-sponsored school.

I respect everyone’s opinions on which path to CDL is best. But there are many variables when choosing and it just seems disingenuous to flat-out tell people not to go to a private school.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

PLZ help -Need insight on my new career as a trucker with my MVR & Background

With this history, what will be different now? We all make mistakes, some more than others. But seriously, what positives do you have to offer ANY prospective employer?

If you've turned yourself around, I suggest you get with your close support group to work on a positive plan for your future. It may require years of menial jobs and volunteer work.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Newb Questions About CDL Training And Qualifications

I went private school and reported to Schneider Orientation three weeks after completing school because it was Christmas. I had plenty of pre-hires before graduation, but Schneider was where I wanted to go.

Big companies will usually (as Schneider did) do tuition reimbursement. So, even though I laid out the money up front, I got it back.

Some will say the company has no skin in the game if you go to private school, but (my opinion) they have no reason to bring you to Orientation just to spit you out either.

Why pay if someone else will? Schneider didn’t offer school when I went through and that was THE company I wanted.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

New tax law changes hit truck drivers hard

One more reason being a company driver ain’t so bad. I get per diem which makes a significant portion of my income tax-exempt. Yes, I know, my social security will be lower. And the new higher standard deduction is better for our family.

So, as a company driver, I’ve paid down or paid off >$15,000 just in the past year. AND our refund (same as last year).

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Endorsements: from day 1, or later?

I got money me when I took the permit test. All I needed was right here on this site.

So, as soon as I started driving dry van, I was able to haul hazmat and tankers (or totes that required the tanker endorsement).

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

W2 information

You might try contacting a local IRS office. If your employer failed to provide you a W-2, I guaran-dang-teeya they’ll respond to a notice from the IRS. 😆

But seriously, something sounds really off if two separate employers didn’t send one.

Is it possible the address you have on file with those employers is not where you live now?

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Is four weeks really enough?

TTS yes it’s enough. To get started. For the right people. Bring your positivity and be humble.

I did like you. After graduating from CDL school I went to Schneider. Arguably the shortest orientation in the biz. Four years later I’m doing fine and making a decent pay.

Heed the advice of experienced people, weigh opinions and make informed decisions.

You’ll probably do great!

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Had minor fender bender today.

Raptor, at least it was very minor and you got the dumb mistake out of the way early in your career.

Now onto your millions of safe miles. :)

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Congress committee looks at state of America's highways

Other than military, about the the only thing government does well is create committees.

Posted:  7 months, 4 weeks ago

Uh Oh, the lock broke... LoL moment

"Washed my hands and walked out of the store like nothing happened...."

And didn't let the truck stop people know about the problem? Okay.

Posted:  8 months ago

Test Day

Congratulations Doug! I know you’ve overcome challenges many of us couldn’t face.

The story you are writing with your life, is an inspiration. Maybe one day Rainy could put it to paper and you’d both become wildly famous.

Keep on keepin’ On!