Comments By Jeff L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/stevens3.jpg avatar
  • Jeff L.
  • Comments:

Team Driving

Daryl, you can make pretty much the same money running solo as you can running team. The logbook hours of service is enforced individually upon each driver. The same rules as if you were each running trucks solo.

As far as pay, most of the time it is split between the two drivers for all miles the truck runs. So if they say "teams start at 42 cents per mile" that means each driver will get 21 cents per mile for all miles the truck runs, regardless of how many miles each driver accrued.

Even if you were able to make a tiny bit more running team it wouldn't be enough money to make the lifestyle worth it if you weren't into sharing a truck with someone. So don't run team on the hope that you'll make more money. Do it because you prefer the lifestyle of travelling with someone instead of alone.

I think he nailed that, It would depend on your personality and who you drive with. The only perk I like and I could be naive thinking this is that when you run teams your more likely to get loads going east to west.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

First week of training flew by.

I definitely think I made the right decision getting back behind the wheel. Been a couple headaches this week, waiting at shippers, downtown rush hour traffic in construction through dallas. But I got in 2,931 miles in a week with one lost day and one day with just a 113 mile load. Can't with until training is over, and my contract obligations are finished so I can really make some money though. It'll be worth it in the long run.

Man you have made it to where I want to be ! Awesome !

Sudden Sensorial Hearing Loss

I would like to know if there are any drivers out there who have Sudden Sensorial Hearing Loss (SSHL) which is sudden loss of hearing in just one ear, and who are still driving despite this sudden loss of hearing. You can still hear out of the one ear, but your hearing is about half of what it was when you took your physical.

I noticed a couple instructors had hearing devices, I wonder if it was occupational. I have worked manufacturing with plugs before. Just a thought.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Trying to make a decision on a company.

Roehl Transport has a terminal right there in Gary. I can say there a good company with strong family values. Good home time policies too. Good luck in your search!

There flatbed division trains there. They did sound good, I could be wrong but think they are based out of Wisconsin. She could walk out one door and into another.

And school is OVER!!!

Congrats, the time is nigh for me too. I bought the laminated version for backup purposes, it is pretty informative. Hope everything goes well!

Greyhound Baggage

Its a bit of self-discovery when you pack. How little do you need to function; and how little do you need to finish the task at hand. I've been around the world in all sorts of situations; and it took me a long time to get to the comfort level I'm at. I'm not saying that anything you're doing is necessarily wrong; but as you work your way through it; less is more.

I would suggest reviewing at times during your journeys what really sat in the luggage for the entire trip. Did you need to signal Batman? If not, perhaps the Million candle power flashlight was excessive. Did the hotel have a laundry and a soap dispenser? Perhaps packing the bag of soap was not worth the convenience of putting $2.00 in a dispenser. Maybe packing a Tide Pod would have been a better choice (and they could have been packed in the shoes).

There is no right; just what is needed, and what is excessive.

Good luck with your journey!

I hear ya, I would like just to take my survival pack, but I start to stink after a week. lol or just all nylon clothing made for hiking without underwear. Shave? what for?lol I am leaving my K-Bar that is for certain.

Greyhound Baggage

While I'm sure you missed quite a few items, I'd like to suggest that you are guilty of overpacking.

Rule 1: Anything that can be bought on-site should be bought on-site. (deodorant, soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc). I would pack a small toilet bag with a few of the 3oz bottles of shampoo/body soap a travel deodorant, the electric shaver and a toothbrush with a travel toothpaste. Packing laundry soap is flat out ridiculous. If a Wal-Mart or other big box is available I wouldn't pack more than one change of underwear and a set of thermals. Buying a pack of underwear on-site is fine.

Rule 2: Layered clothing is better than specialty clothing. A rain shell can be combined with a hoodie and be more functional than a 3 system jacket. I would rather have a few print Ts, a couple of polo shirts, a flannel shirt, a hoodie, and a rain jacket. Than what you've packed.

Rule 3: Less is always more. Lose the 3rd pair of gloves. Wear the running shoes or boots as your driving shoes (And yeah... I knew a bloke that did running; 99 shoes for every type of run. :) )

Rule 4: Consolidate tech gear. Having personally carried books, tablets, Ipods, smartphones and a 17" laptop; I've definitely found I don't need to lug all of it around. (It's heavy.)

Rule 5: Carry-on luggage ALWAYS contains the bare minimum; stowed luggage carries everything else. NO EXCEPTIONS. If your luggage gets stolen, lost, or misplaced; the carry-on should have everything you need to push off and hopefully run to a stored to replace the rest.

If you've heard anything, I hope you take away that less is more, and do try to remember; those sleeper berths are really only built for 1, and your going to be twp in that canoe for a while.

Laundry soap is only a small bag , if i remove it it will not affect enough. toiletries and toothpaste and things like that you do not buy at a truck stop if you can help it and will be added to the bags in the truck. I am not worried about the trip up. I am worried about space on the truck. Part of it will shrink when I take my sleeping bag out. One pair of gloves for fuel or inspect, one for utility and one for back up. Your flannel shirt alone will take up more room than what I have worth a full size hoody. I packed a thin running hoody that does not hold moister and i forgot to mention I packed a cheap emergency pancho and am leaving my rain jacket for the second pick up. buying underwear? They still go on the truck and most likely into the bag. Underwear is very important especially if you get wet , either that or do not wear any, cept it aint that warm outside. By the way the suggestion about laundry soap was one I got here.. The fifteen dollars is better spent than what you are suggesting since a carry on would only be two thirds smaller than the bag i have now, still two bags. I could leave one pair of jogging shoes, will be wearing the hiking shoes and it still wont reduce the two bags to one at the size that is accepted without incurring additional fees.

Did some mashing and dropped my trail for rain down to one with carry on.

Greyhound Baggage

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Have You Really Considered?

Congrats Jeff and you'll be surprised, you're going to go to some places where during your 34 reset, you're gonna ask where the best local cajun / seafood / steakhouse etc. is at and treat yourself on occasion. Or get a Volvo which has a pretty nice fold down table/ work station.

That would be great. Yeah our school had Volvos and one international.

Greyhound Baggage

Those of you like me who are not world travelers might need this info if taking the Greyhound to orientation.

The most common maximum size allowed is 62 linear (total) inches or 27" x 21" x 14" with a maximum weight limit of 50 lbs. per bag. Anything larger, heavier, or oddly shaped will incur additional fees. A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be applied to any baggage above the 62-inch limit. A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be charged for any baggage above the 50 pound limit.One (1) piece of baggage is checked free of charge for adults and children. One (1) additional piece of baggage may be checked for a charge of $15 for adults only.

I have put my big bag away and broke out the two bags I already had and guess what they are just within 27" x 21" x 14". I figure to go ahead and pay the fifteen bucks and take two. Why so much?

I have a small condensed sleeping bag, three pair of nylon hiking- fishing pants, three pair of nylon H/F shorts, one pair of jeans, eight pair of boxer-briefs, two pair athletic briefs, four black t-shirts, two long hoody zip up shirts(like the kind those cool skateboard kids wear), one long sleeve nylon fishing shirt, one nike running hoody (yellow highlight), one pair thermals, eight pair short running socks, three pair winter type boot socks, one jungle hat, three pair of gloves, two flashlights(one little for fifth wheel and the other if I need to call batman), electric shaver, electric clippers, toothpaste, two underarms, two colognes, one aftershave, three small packs of disposable ass wipes and odds and ends that are small for glasses,ears, can opener,accessory type stuff. One pair of running shoes I like to drive in, one for street jogging, one for trail, one for trail if it rains and hiking shoes( I know a little much on the shoes but I need my runs even if they are twenty-five minute, it supplies more oxygen to my brain and God knows I need it). Other stuff like shower and laundry bags, small bag of measured detergent. Paperwork. The rest is little small stuff, accessories and what not. My phone will by on my side, i will be wearing my second pair of jeans, I am only taking my kindle and leaving my lap at home(I will miss her and will be returning for her after I am assigned). I plan to walk to the stores in town for my food start up.

After all this I have two stuffed bags. I am taking light weight clothes and still have two bags. Even if I drop two pair of shoes I would need the second bag. I hope this is not too much stuff but I thought it is kinda light especially if I go from two weeks with trainer straight to 30 thousand miles teams without going home. I am glad it is not winter and I can leave my heavy stuff. I will have to layer with what I have if it does get a little chilly in some places. When I get assigned will I want to have more than two bags? Plan for the worst, hope for the best but what if one gets the heave ho and brings the truck in with more than they can carry? Heard of guys buying refrigerators, do you just leave them? Storage? would that be worth it? I have not even planned my ankle weights in or my two 20lb dumbells( dont laugh I am in my latter forties, I am a badass though). Do you guys get stuff sometimes knowing you may loose it or leave it?

Well they also allow a carry on: small bag up to 25 pounds can be taken on board for each adult or child. Carry-on bags must fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat.

I am wondering if I should just drive, it is only 722 miles away and maps said it would take around 12 hours. But this is a whole new topic with many questions like, parking, security, would it constrict you, and would you have to get it at a later date?

Any way anyone with suggestions on baggage let me know. BY the way is Greyhound as bad as they say? I am going to try to entertain myself and embrace the trip. I hope I sit by someone who speaks Spanish, I need the practice.

8/2 split

So I get up start at seven a.m. on duty then start driving at seven-thirty a.m. go off duty for lunch at twelve p.m. for one hour and go on duty at one p.m. start driving at one- thirty p.m only to get to tired in traffic and find a stop and get in the sleeper birth three p.m.. I then spend eight consecutive hours in the sleeper birth. Would I have six hours of drive time left in a time frame of six hours of what was left of the full fourteen hour period? I know I did not say anything about inspecting after the sleep birth time so I understand I would not be able to squeeze an exact six hours of driving in. To get another 14/11 there would have to be a full 10 hour break?

8/2 split

So which is it? I was using the log book study here today and I also understood it as saying the only way you can reset the 14 is by ten hours in total. That the eight only allows you to stop the 14 hour period and pick back up on it after the eight. If you do eight and then finish your 11 hours driving then take two hours off duty does that constitute for a ten hour reset ?

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Have You Really Considered?

Going to orientation for a dry van company in a few days, packing my lightest, and preparing my bags, laptop ect. for when I am assigned a truck and I can come by and get them. It is really settling in that I will be out at least three weeks at a time and in my case hopefully more. I can not even imagine if I had a wife or children to answer to, there would be no way I would even try to balance that. For me it is the perfect set up, so I hope I can accomplish my goal and be in a steady pace here in a few months. I am about to go full time truck driver in order to stay focused so that I can make my company and myself money. No regular beds, showers and tables to eat at. I will be living out of a bag , showering at truck stops and eating without a table in front of me(not a restaurant type). What is crazy is that I love the Idea, I cannot wait. I want this more than I have wanted anything in a long time. This is not just going out and getting a job, this is a life change. Over the road is for me. I get to do something for me.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

I have to apologize guys, I am sorry! I just read what I wrote and that was a real live rant. I dont ever rant. I probably wont have to do anything but take a **** test, only my first DOT for the permit came back a dilute and had to go back the next day and retest. Then I am a walking Nair commercial right in front of the same instructors and I got in trouble for weed many years ago. I wish I never puffed and just passed. Hope I did not offend any of you who do and I believe you should have the right even though I would suggest skipping the future dementia down the road with age. Brett was good enough to look into this and if you read his book ,the jacket incident when he was young, he is very forthcoming. Again I apologize for my earlier rant.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

Hmm. I've shaved my head (clippers with no guard) for almost 16 years ever since I joined the Marine Corp. My wife makes me shave my chest and I manscape keeping everything nice and trim. I still have arm and leg hair but, none of that is 1.5 inches long. Not that I'm worried about failing a hair test because I haven't used anything since I was a teenager but, The inability to even take the test counts as a failure... ugh guess I need to let my hair grow out.

Yes sir that would be the best idea. A failure is a failure no matter the reason for it. Best just to let the hair grow for a few weeks just to be safe

I cant believe all of this , it is insane. I shave myself back across the board every year after winter. I was in driving school when I clipped what I could reach and see so the little sweat makers would not catch this years pollen. First thing one of the staff told me was to find a company that only does urinalysis. If I tell someone this they automatically think I am trying to beat the test. That morning was thinking how much cooler and comfortable I was with the multiple sponges removed from my body. I was wearing nylon hiking shorts wearing my new prescription glasses feeling reborn while an instructor from another class is looking at my legs real hard and when I look at him like whats up, he says to the guy next to him " we need to talk to Stevens about letting our side wear shorts".

I have done drugs before or I should say pot, but not in the last three or so years. I like being sober for one and hate that I supported some of the worst thugs on the planet. I am hoping they will pick some of the thin hairs that two or three inches that are on the inside of my arm around my bicep near my underarm. They are thin. There are some stragglers on my back also. All my other body hair is at three quarters to an inch. They can have my eyebrows if they wish to.

Are they that picky as to what hairs they get? will they take the ones that are over 1.5 in combined effort from multiple places? I think they could get enough from one bicep though they are like really thin and curl up. Will they pluck em? Hell I might have some growing in my ears as we speak.

Are they going to look at me and call me a doper, no offense to dopers or every once in a while users. Anyone have a situation where the testers had to search a little? and where did they snip or pluck?

Help Me! I Am Clueless!

I want to thank everyone for their advice, it was very helpful. I got online with Verizon and ordered a i5 since it was .99 cents and went in to pick it up and ended up leaving with the 6 with an otter case clip after the salesman showed me all the gadgets and durability. I spent most of the night trying to figure it out and program it . The 6+ was just a little large for me and I just got progressive glasses so everything should work out right. Wow, felt like I left the cave. Anyone who does not have a smart phone , eat beans for a while if need and buy one.

PTL Anybody?

Jeff. I went to orientation with PTL the week before Thanksgiving. I believe that I made a good choice.

PTL operates primarily east of the Mississippi. There are two phases of training. The first phase is with a trainer and you are supposed to do five thousand miles. The second phase is with another trainee. As a phase two trainee, you will run as a team and you will see lots of California. Phase two lasts for forty thousand miles.

If you have specific questions, I will try to get you the answers.

Just getting the pre-orientation butterflies.

PTL Anybody?

Has or is anyone here working for them?

Sorry, Had one of those moments like I did when I started this gig looking for CDL training where I was reading all of the worst comments and wondering is everything a scam. Who can I trust? and all those bad vibes you can get from the wonderful world of the internet. I might as well been looking at comments at Yahoo news. I know a company is not going to ship me by bus seven hundred miles in order to just send me home, and that it is up to me this first year to prove myself. Since I have been here I have received good advice, had and still have learning tools to access. I have been to school, received certificate, gotten CDL with tankers, doubles-triples and am waiting for the FBI or whoever to stamp my HazMat and send me my Twic Card. I picked up the flyer for the company I have decided to work for when I was in school and decided if I was not going flatbed , I would try them because they looked like they where a smaller outfit and their flyer looked basic like what you see is what you get , I dont know , like country folks and manuals and old buildings etc. I have gone through a Knowthineself stage in my life where though I lived and benefited from society, I secluded mentally and reflected on self, circumstances, my place within society and how to be a positive force within society. Philosophy mumbo jumbo, transformation of attitude thing. It is very important to me the wheel in which I am a cog.

PTL Anybody?

Has or is anyone here working for them?

Help Me! I Am Clueless!

Thanks, Rolling Thunder, Robert B, Mr. Smith, Errol V and Brett Aquila for all of your advice. I had not a clue which ones to get since I have not been using my cell phone for the past couple of years more than once or twice a month, if that. It seems it is the apps that are the plus with these phones. I do have an Acer Aspire M i5 laptop with 8.1 I do not think I can live without and a Kindle 6 wich is pretty nifty, I just have never gotten into the phone craze yet. Again thanks to all of you for your comments and advice with this important decision.