Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0510282001559577103-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Alternative medicine for Barometric Pressure Headaches?

Susan, I DID look up imitrex (thank you for that info) and apparently its a 'shot' like Insulin almost that you stab your thigh with when a headache comes on.

My wife uses the pill form for migraines, she takes it as soon as it begins coming on and usually it helps prevent it from getting real bad. That may not be a good idea for him to use, known side affects include dizziness and drowsiness. It usually knocked my wife out within an hour and she felt the affects for up to 8 hours. I'm not sure if his company bans it but I doubt its DOT Approved. It isn't a narcotic so I'm unsure if it would pop up on a urine test if he used it while at home.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Shhhh!!!! Be Quiet!

By far the worst trailers I've seen of a large company is YRC. Specifically the local ones still branded Yellow or Roadway. Even their local trucks look like crap. Atleast the sleepers they have look to be pretty new and well taken care of.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Psd prime done

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Great job!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

The call!

But I have kids and grandkids at home. I would worry if I turned my phone off.

one option to combat that if you have an Android phone is "do not disturb". You can set it to be silent for all calls or ring for only certain numbers (kids/grandkids). I have mine set for my wife, parents and anytime the same number calls me twice in 5 minutes while sleeping. Comes very in handy being able to get the calls I deem urgent while not being woken up by telemarketers or in your case, dispatch.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Advice please - started solo and second time this is happening.

Many customers won't load you and some make you sign a paper saying you are chocked, tandems slid to the back. Some customers remove the air line themselevs and put a lock on it so you can't move. One had me sit in a break room the whole time.

With the ones that make you wait inside, are they atleast pretty quick? I would be a little upset if I was forced to stay inside for several hours (or 20 hrs at meat places!)

Almost all the backhauls I pick up in Iowa and Minnesota have signs stating it's an OSHA requirement that all trailers be chocked. Have a few that have us remove red airline then they place a lock on trailer, 1 makes us wait inside on the dock with them and 3 make us unhook and go to far end of property with the tractor until we're called, after chocking.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Feeling screwed

But the timeline and saliva thing from kissing the wife, just doesn't seem to add up. If I'm wrong - I apologize. If I'm right, NICE TRY!

he also used the excuse of liver enzymes in that previous post so who knows the true story. I also find it hard to believe saliva would cause a hair test to come back positive.

If you indeed didnt do anything I sincerely apologize, however you gotta admit the whole story seems far fetched. I wish you luck Roy.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Prime Inc Week 2 Of CDL School, Day 1 of 1 on 1 Instruction

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Great job Driver!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Winner of Rainy's "No Defeat, No Surrender Award" is....

Keep up the great work!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Turn on your CB!

Today i seen a driver on I80 with a ton of smoke coming from his tires. Myself and other drivers were calling out to him on the CB and got no response. The driver in front of me was able to get in front of him and slow down with his hazards on to ATTEMPT to get his attention. As I passed them the guy was talking on his headset and completely unaware of anything going on. I dont know what happened, or how long it took him to be aware of the situation.

Couple hours before that at the Knoxville Illinois Loves off i74 I stopped on my way back to grab a coffee. Starting my day at 10 or 11pm I feel like I hit a brick wall around 8am. Because I was going to run in and out real quick I pulled ahead to the line at fuel pumps (even though nearly empty) and noticed something about the truck next to me......

0717579001562365891.jpg when he pulled ahead he didnt remove the nozzle. When I went inside I informed the fuel desk about it and they quickly went outside and we seen the guy drive off dragging it around the parking lot and ultimately down the road despite a driver next to us calling out on the CB. Hearing all the garbage on the CB definitely gets annoying but it's a very valuable tool. One of the most eventful days I've had in a while. Boring = good smile.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

But I will consider filling a report with CRST's Human Resources/ Safety Department.

that's definitely the right path to take. Hopefully they will be able to give you a clear answer (and documentation) whether you owe them money or not, as well as if the non-compete is in effect. Please keep us updated and if there's anything we can do.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Talk about nerve wracking

It truly amazes me how companies scream, 'safety, safety, safety' but, we have to do silly crap like this.

Sooo, that being said, Good Job!

I'd imagine most times they're just given an address and dont have the time to look each one up. Not every delivery can be to large distribution centers, it's up to us as professional drivers to do what it takes to get it done.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif great job earning your CDL. Sounds like you got a good trainer. I'm glad things are going great for you!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Going with Wilson Logistics

What field are you leaving to start driving? There are going to be a few times you're going to want to throw in the towel while training and your first year so please dont be afraid of asking for help or advice. I look forward to reading your diary if you have the time for it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Roundabouts are becoming popular; but are they best for trucks?

I swear if the newer generation had to drive the Airport or Ellisburg circkes in camden or cherry hill, they would need Xanax.

I'm currently searching for my "safe" place after seeing those photos

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Roundabouts are becoming popular; but are they best for trucks?

But I have to take up both lanes to navigate them. I know it is not ok with the locals there but what can I do. It's better than taking one of their cars out.

I too show zero concern for the locals when it comes to a roundabout, and purposely take all the room I can to keep them from getting on my inside or outside and being squished. Call it defensive blocking.

I three! One problem I've seen with Roundabouts is drivers not taking the space given to them while navigating them. We have a store in Mankato MN that requires I go through 2 of them within a block of each other and there's always fresh tire tracks through the grass. If my dumba$$ can navigate it without jumping a curb anyone can! Always take as much room as available and use the apron if necessary. Many states have laws giving trucks the right of way but dont expect anyone to abide by it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

Figured I'd make another update as I have plenty of time today. Today (monday) is my Friday so I figured I'd take a pretty easy route to get me home early. Well i thought wrong haha! I took a 2 trailer relatively local load starting at 11pm. First trailer was to stores in Marshalltown and Cedar Falls both docks were super easy, pull around the building and setup for a nearly straight back. Both stores also had everything go into coolers on the dock so it only took half hour at each store.

0227407001561988365.jpg this load was 230 miles. Next I needed to grab another trailer and go deliver contract freight. My paperwork, as well as when I bid this route said I'd have 12 pallets to deliver so imagine the surprise when I opened it to find only 1 pallet. I went inside to talk to shipping office and they informed me rest of product hasn't made it to us yet so take the 1 pallet, as the Shag driver already questioned them about it. This load was 30 miles away in Norwalk Iowa, just south of des Moines. This dock was more of a challenge than many of our stores but still not bad

0611886001561988756.jpg. I hit the dock to the left of where I'm parked. I'm now hooked to trailer on the right side as they rent a trailer from us to use as additional storage and fuel is under 1/4 so I am leaving my trailer that was full of fuel. I've been sitting here for about an hour and a half waiting on 3 pallets I'm picking up. I called dispatch immediately when I was told they're having computer issues so it'll be a while. They asked if it's my last thing for the day and how my hours look (had 5 hours with an additional 2 if I use my 16, takes 35 minutes to get back) then asked me to stay put for a couple hours and give them a call back. Waiting sucks but atleast I'm being paid and it could be worse, I could still be 2-wheeling in this 90 degree heat. I volunteered to work July 4th. Figured we wouldn't be doing anything anyways so i may as well make the overtime wage ($45 hr) as holidays are only time we get OT pay. I've been trying to work a 5th day as much as possible so it'd be dumb to work Tuesday instead of Thursday if I dont have plans anyways.

Last week I had another Interesting backhaul. Delivered to stores in Owatonna and Fairbault just off I35 in southern MN. I then picked up a backhaul in Fairbault. I snapped a couple pics before I hit the dock.

0549551001561989342.jpg0718344001561989398.jpg

I didnt have the most space to maneuver

0191747001561989487.jpg i was afraid of going into the river but seeing the tire tracks and following those helped put my mind at ease about the pole or going over the bank and I got into the dock without hitting anything.

I've had some situations I've found myself in that have been a challenge maneuvering a 53' trailer when I pulled a 28' but I've gotten through them safely. The backing mechanics are obviously the same but it takes more time for this trailer to react than what I had been accustomed to. The brightside of everything we do being based on seniority (despite not being union) is I'm slowly moving my way up. I currently have 5 drivers below me, and they're hiring a couple more as well as sending 2 warehouse guys through school so I'll have a couple more routes to pick from.

I shared these in a different thread but I'll post them here as well. I ran out to Lincoln NE a couple weeks ago and snapped this before heading into the store to the west.

0106623001561989832.jpg when I came out 20 minutes later it was beautiful to the east

0876898001561989894.jpg naturally right after I snapped that pic and walked to truck it started down pouring.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Legalities of having a rider

Hmmm. Quite a bit going on in this post, I am going to go out on a limb and say this is all company/insurance requirements. My company also just started a rider program that allows us to take a family member age 12 or older with us on 1 dispatched trip between May and October (avoid snowstorms) up to 6 times a year. We need to turn the form in atleast 3 days in advance for approval. All our form does is release the carrier of liability in the event of something happening. We only need to keep the form with us so security can document that I had someone with me and the proper paperwork. I'll be taking my 12 year old niece in about 2 weeks.

Nothing was ever mentioned about trafficking......were you specifically told that? Most companies need new paperwork documenting when you will have someone with you for insurance purposes.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Game: What Excites You Now That You Drive?

I enjoy a beautiful sunrise as long as I'm not eastbound and a beautiful sunset as long as I'm not westbound!

Absolutely agree, some of the things we see out here are just incredible. Wednesday I was in Lincoln NE. This was taken just after I docked looking west

0774507001561782181.jpg lightning was going crazy but unfortunately I couldn't get a pic when it did. Probably 20 minutes later I came out and took this looking east

0762413001561782292.jpg as I climbed back into my truck it started raining.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Off to ROEHL I go!!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif Awesome, great job!

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Be careful who you complain to

Had a backhaul Wednesday that my P.O. number was wrong. The nice security officer told me that it isn't right and unfortunately she couldn't tell me what it is. We pickup probably 5 full loads of bacon a week from them. The number I gave her ended with a 1 and while waiting for dispatch to call me back with a correct P.O. she told me that I'm very close, perhaps it's just the last number that is too high. So I asked if it was 0 and was granted access smile.gif