Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0634114001548208391-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Swift Refrigerated

Being able to go 70 would make me feel a little less in the way when going out west, and more miles in a day.

Let me be honest with you. My company is governed at 70 and I usually am not able to maintain 70 mph. There are so many other trucks on the road that go slower than that. I can get up to 70 but I'm needing to slow down to maintain a safe following distance because I'll catch another truck. One of my fellow drivers and I left Minneapolis for des moines (250 miles) at the same time. I tried to run 70 he ran 65. He pulled into the gate as I was starting to back into my spot. The added stress I had needing to constantly adjust my speed and pass other traffic was much higher than his so i could save 2 to 3 minutes over about a 4 hour period. Although I can do the speed limit on the 2 interstates I travel frequently I'm still "in the way " for cars wanting to speed, and if I go up I29 to Sioux Falls I'm still doing 10 below the speed limit. Dont worry about "being in the way". If you worry about what others think you're going to drive yourself crazy. Theres 2 lanes, as long as you stay to the right or get back over as soon as safely possible everybody else can deal with it.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Question for florida natives or knowledgable

.A lot of trucking companies are also moving trailers (loaded and empty) out of the region by rail. See them heading north all the time.

Do you know if this has been done for quite some time or is it related to freight rates dropping? I haven't seen anything other than occasional PUP trailers until recently. Maybe I've just noticed it more lately but I've been seeing a ton of Swift and JB Hunt 53' on railcars in the midwest.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Career Interruption.

Bruce we hope the best for whatever you're dealing with. Would it be possible to find some kind of shag/yard dog work to help keep and improve backing skills? Rick is correct that you will likely need to go through training again, at a bare minimum a refresher course.

Please keep us updated how you're doing.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Fired from Swift

Very well said Raptor. Sometimes I worry that those lurking or that may find this forum due to a google search will see some of these threads and think we're a bunch of supertruckers and not come back due to us appearing judgemental. This is by far the least judgemental forum I've seen, but we dont want to be lied to. We unfortunately get alot of posts where we're only told half the story. How are we supposed to give good accurate advice if we dont know the whole story?

Mark, if what you've said is 100% accurate fight it. You do not want a failed/refused test on your record. It will be very difficult to get a driving job. Make sure you handle yourself in a professional manner.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Off to PrimeSpringfield 6/3

Welcome! Please hang around and keep us updated on your journey. We have a ton of prime drivers here who will be able to help with company specific information, and a great group of moderators and experienced drivers willing to help with any other questions you have. Training will be difficult and frustrating at times but it will be done before you know it.good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

My Morning challenge!

Way to go! With tough backing situations I feel a great sense of accomplishment after I bump the dock. You hit the nail on the head, Slow and smooth. Who cares if anybody is watching.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Post trip inspection

Rubber Duck, I don't think the daily DVIR is a misconception (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). My company requires one and if I do forget to log one, I get a message about it promptly. Every day requirement. Must be important (it definitely is), or the company wouldn't be so strict about it.

It is required. We have an option on our people net to complete it but they prefer we complete a paper copy because they have file it in office and the driver in that truck the next day can see any issues we documented.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Flatbed Variety

You guys deal with all that, I'll stick with swinging my doors. I contemplated doing flatbed work but I would likely drive myself crazy always second guessing the way the load is secured. flatbedders are definitely a different breed.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Post trip inspection

My company requires a minimum of 8 minutes logged for post trip. I do just as thorough of a post trip as a pre trip. I would rather have any needed repairs made during my 10 hour break than having started my clock and have that run out while waiting on repairs to be made. I slip seat so I do what I can to not screw over the guy taking that truck the next day. I've come in a couple days to find a defect with the truck that should have been caught by the previous driver and then I'm scrambling to find a spare truck while still trying to make it out of the gate by my scheduled departure time. My company has done a great job scheduling our departure times to not conflict with the other 2 terminals or any outside vendors (beer, soda, chips etc.) Delivering to the same stores I'm going to and if I leave later than scheduled it had a domino effect and depending on the route I have that day may affect me getting back home that day.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Millis Transfer training, Richfield Wisonsin

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Way to go!

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

Rob, no photo? When Turtle met Rainy, there was a photo!

I guess I wasnt good looking enough! I had a great time chatting with her. Shes very nice and quite funny, I'd hate to bring out that "Jersey"side of her rofl-3.gif

This is a very serious infraction that may result in fines and prison time.

thanks for the warning, I'll be starting up a GoFundMe to buy me a years supply of "soap on a rope". PLEASE donate to my causerofl-2.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

No photos = didn’t happen.

rofl-3.gifrofl-1.gif

I agree completely with PackRat, we need documentation asap!

Didnt take any pictures, however she hasn't posted since our meeting. Perhaps I locked her in her own dungeon

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

It was nice to meet Rainy, I somehow got away! Dang flip flops made it difficult but I made it!

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

I just pulled in. I'll meet ya outside by fuel doors. I'm in a gray tshirt Jean's and blue flip flops. don't judge, im out running errands but I'll fit in with the new age drivers! TT, if I dont come back it's been fun!

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

* taking note of Rob's last known GPS position

Somebody please start drafting up the missing person poster

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

I see you're 14 miles away you gonna be there a while? I'd love to swing over and meet you if you promise not to lock me away in the dungeon!

Hello!!!

Im at the Flying J in the back row. Leaving around 2000. Can u get here by then?

Absolutely. I could be out that way about 630ish.

Errrrr I mean 1830smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

Hello!!!

Absolutely. I could be out that way about 630ish.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rainy

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Under-21 interstate drivers getting serious look by FMCSA

Even if the government allows 18 year olds to drive interstate I doubt many of the mega carriers would touch them. Currently 21 year olds can drive interstate but many still say you must be 23 for insurance purposes. We've had quite a few people about to turn 21 seeking advice and if I remember correctly there is only a couple companies we know of that will accept them before 23.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Austrian Trucker Babe in the US for TV Show

Lisa I'm not sure if you're still around but please keep us updated on if you are able to do it. I'd be interested to see how drivers from a different country adapt. I'm going to check youtube later to see if I cant find any episodes.