Comments By Chris the stick slinger

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete-2.jpg avatar

Parking a Truck In The Northeast

East coast sucks..unless you get paid hourly. Traffic,parking,tight docks,and narrow streets=losing money. Walmart is your friend for parking...just get there early. I only go east,to get loads out west..and Im on a team truck..in and out! East coast sucks period!

Easy now. Looks like someone has forgotten about Biggie and Tupac and how that turned out.smile.gif

Lets talk money: P&D, Linehaul: My story

I would add that those drivers have experience. Yes it is possible to land one of those positions out of school, quite another to keep it with limited to no experience.

I'd never bash another man's dreams, just trying to point out the difficulty of what you are saying.

Good luck and all the best.

.02

I have a few questions????

For me the time issues that come up are bit less dramatic as they seemed to be when I started. Once I realized that if for various reasons I have to stop earlier than planned it only means I can start earlier.

You will travel just as far in an hour tomorrow as you can today. Just don't get to lax with your schedule and it will all come out in the wash. Exception being hot loads then every minute counts.

A question for Trainers

Daniel winks and asks,

Okay that just sounds wrong! What exactly did he use this private area for?

I never looked. We did talk about Star Trek (original series) a lot. He's a black belt instructor in Tal Kwan Do.

I think he slept up there.
smile.gif

His black belt says he can pretty much do WHATEVER he wants to up there.......

Smash that regional run

In what way is it hard, long hours, or are you unloading furniture as well as driving?

Yes we unload it. The toughest part would be the mom and pop stores we deliver to. (by the way my favorite people to deal with) Their stores are set up for box trucks not semis.

Brett, I run 6 days a week. Very hard work indeed. I notice a lot of tough spots to get in and out of and it seems those older dollar stores would be a nightmare. The newer stores for the most part look like they have much more room.

I do highly recommend this type of work for people with a strong work ethic.

Smash that regional run

Run a regional route delivering furniture. Past two weeks ran 5363 miles with 64 stops. Average around 2300 a week with 30 stops..

Just wanted to let you new drivers know you can make great money and reset at home every weekend if you are willing to work hard and back slow.

Look into regional work. Hard on rookies (like me) but worth it.

Just wanted to give regional work a shout out cause I don't see a whole lot about it on here.

Anyone else????

Truck Driver Training Stabbing

Don't let this kind of stuff scare you. This was one incident within the truck driver community with millions of drivers out there. You probably have a better chance of being mugged near your home than something like this happening to you.

Agreed. I'll take those odds.

Sad world when grown men need weapons to fight one on one. What ever happened to taking an ass whipping and get him next time?

Was just assigned my last OTR load.

Congrats to you. Hung in there and that door opened right up huh?

Cooking bacon in a truck

Embrace the cloven hoof. Roll up the windows while cooking it. Bask in it. Use the drippings like WD40. Welcome the compliments of shippers and receivers as you perfume their reception room with the aroma of cooked animal fat.

That my friend is straight up hilarious.

Brett try that cottage cheese with pepper and sour cream and onion chips. Blew my mind how good it was. Hammer it with the pepper.

How Do You Entertain Yourself Whilst Driving?

Thinking about my wife and how much I miss her. Planning on how I'm going to spend my limited time at home with her to make it as special as possible for her.

Daniel does your wife read ALL your post???? (brown noser) I'm kidding you. I think about my family a lot as well.

I mostly like to take in all the scenery because I spent the last 20+ years in a factory.

I read every night, any suggestions on the cheapest places to buy audio books?

Is it worth moving for a local job?

For me the biggest factor in that scenario would be the cost of living. Being only a three hour drive you can go see your family/friends on the weekend and go home every night.

Got into fight with another truck driver

I would add that you are dealing with people (drivers) who work alone and are accustomed to having stuff go their way all the time. When it don't alot of drivers act like children.

I was a member at a local golf course for 10 years and saw the exact same scenario on the other end of the spectrum. A bunch of rich guys who always got their way. Get them together for a tournament and 8out of 10 would do nothing but complain.

In my personal opinion the single worst aspect of our society today is the me me me attitude that is so prevalent.

.02

Thanks Truckingtruth.com

Didn't mean to sound like a "dear John letter". Just giving thanks to friends who have helped me thus far. This site is my "Facebook". I will continue to follow this site daily as I begin the real training in my trucker career.

I do the exact same thing. Check in in the mornings and at night before I crash. These guys are awesome and freely available for advice and a good laugh occasionally.

Good luck and congrats, NEW.

Last day of school today, Schneider on Monday.

Brian, I deliver to a lot of strip malls and Brett nailed it on all the obstacles you will face getting into and out of them. Also, don't be shy about asking for help from local police. They have always helped me with traffic. If you can find one that is.

Me and a couple of low hanging cable lines have gotten into it cause I focused on the ground hazzards and overlooked the overhead obstacles. Remember your height as well.

Good luck to you and be safe.

Is Anyone Doing Anything About the Shortage of Truck Parking?

You would think with all the tax dollars that millions of drivers generate daily they (feds) could provide a few thousand parking areas along the interstates.

As far as upkeep let the guys/gals hanging out in the prisons make and maintain them.

.02

My first week continued

Paul you hang in there and with that attitude you will go far.

How Much Over the Speed Limit is 'Speedin'?

We had 4 drivers ticketed in July for speeding in the 6-10 mph over the limit range. 2 more at 10-15 over and one at 15+ over the limit.

For me personally, 3 over in/around city, 6 over on interstates, and 0 over in construction zones.

As for the "flow" of traffic, I could care less. Most of them could ride the bus and still make their living. I unfortunately cannot.

.02

The "human centipede" theory of why trainers are horrible to their trainees.

Not so eloquent but very astute.

+1 persain

Need some under bunk cooler advice!

I wound up forking out the hundred dollars for the 12 v Colman and extended warranty. A VERY good investment.

Appalachian Regional Port announced, expected to take 50,000 trucks off Georgia highways

Lol this is sort of funny.... Not for those that live in Georgia.

50,000 average less trucks in Georgia huh? That means Georgia will receive less road usage tax and alot less fuel taxes. 50,000 trucks means millions in lost road usage tax and fuel tax. That means the residents of Georgia will have to make up for that lost revenue. Good luck Georgia residents.

As was stated before they are talking about the port truck traffic. Long haul trucks not delivering and just passing through will still have to deal with I285.

Agreed. When it comes time to blame someone for all the lost revenue look for the politicians with the most grease on thier palms.