Comments By Daniel

https://imgur.com/FVz72tg.jpg avatar
  • Daniel
  • 5 years ago
  • Comments:

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Primarily dry-van here so.... 14hr clock doesn't really bother me. Even if I were solo.

What to do/expect in a jacknife situation?

Most trucks have a little hand break that can help for trailer only breaks. Basically if the trailer takes over your in trouble so one way or another you need to find a way to get it straightened out is what everyone to me. Unfortunately my company doesn't have the hand breaks for their trailers.

Nor does mine (the trailer hand brake). Brake pedal works fine though. Luckily, our tractors brakes are almost gone (205k miles)! Lol!

Hit Black Ice.. What to Expect?

My new trainer will be here tomorrow, one more night in the ramada. Hoping he's cool.

I feel sorry for you.

I'm not a fan of driving in winter (from Texas, but I know how to drive better than the entire population of the state). I was in Wisconsin when the winter storm hit a couple weeks back. Then went through Chicago, and over east. Then right back through Chicago, BACK to Wisconsin, and again! Through Chicago to the drop.

Hell of an ice storm when it hit. I was happily doing 60mph though. No rough terrain, no hills, no people, (above all else) no wind. :)

Scared of becoming a truck driver. Please help me!

Man, so much good info in this thread, thanks MG!

I will only add that I totally agree with others who have stated that 3,500 miles a week is going to be a stretch. Especially when you'll only be working 5 or maybe even 4 days a week! Unless you plan on running dual logbooks and cheating the system to drive several hours beyond the legal limit each day, it ain't gonna happen.

Realistically, I would plan on averaging about 500 miles a day to account for weather, traffic, etc. On many days you might be able to make 600. On the very best days you just may crack 700. But you will never hit 875 miles in a single day, which is what you would need to do for 4 days straight to run 3,500 miles in a 4-day work week.

Even running 700 miles a day for 5 days straight is just not gonna happen.

So I would seriously take that into consideration before taking the plunge, since it seems your only real reason for doing this is to make more money than you're making right now.

Personal experience (regardless of driving day, OR night shift): I drive 650mi/day. Of course, there are days I've hit 750mi. but we're governed at 65mph.

The Adventures of Daniel B.

"However, overall team driving is much more difficult than solo driving."

That's interesting. I'd be grateful to hear more when you find time. No rush.

While trip planning and managing HoS is easier, you aren't ever truly rested. Sleeping in a moving truck is very difficult to say the least. Living with someone else in the space of a walk-in closet is also tough. Team driving is just very exhausting because you're almost always on the move.

I tend to sleep 3-5hrs a day (regardless of team driving).

I have had 5 co-drivers so far (including the "Lead" driver). Joseph P. (lead) -- OK guy. Never had any issues. Really fun driving with. Ambrose, L. (1st co) -- OK guy to be friends with; Death sentence with him operating any kind of motor vehicle Dustin (2nd co) -- GREAT guy! Excellent driver. Went on to be a trainer, and now works for U.S. Express Gary M. (3rd co) -- Joke of a person. Terrible at everything I've ever seen in my life. CRST holds onto him for "legal" reasons ("diversity"). Dennis A. (4th co) -- OK person initially. Literally has mental issues. He served in the Air Force, but has no respect for anyone. Terrible at driving. Resistant to learning. Morgan G. (5th co) -- Best ****ing person I've met to date. She's up par with Dustin. She knows what she's doing. No problems backing. Hilarious personality. Takes her job real serious, like myself.

"Trip planning" consists of a GPS for the most part (less than 30s, and you're guaranteed the world's mathematically fastest route 99% of the time). Running out of your HoS? You can... Quite often too! Morgan and I have, in 3 weeks, ran our 70hr clocks down to 2min and 58min (< 1hr to simplify) MULTIPLE times! We tend to run 5,000mi+ per week, EVERY week! Not sure how you got the concept that you don't run out of hours.

Sleeping on a moving vehicle is pretty easy. I have a hard time sleeping when it's NOT moving! The only exception is on I-40 in Arkansas (that road is rough).

Connections In California

Yes, Daniel has secrets that he has not let us on to.

Damn, see, this is exactly what I was silently worried about. She always let's the cat out of the hat.

smile.gif

Every time I see you post: It creeps me out.

Daniel B. here #2. Lol

I'm heading out to Sun Valley, CA with my co-driver Morgan later this afternoon. :)

Prime DOT physical

CPAP machines do track usage and hold data. That way a doctor can see if it is adjusted correctly, is being used properly etc. So, you won't escape using it if you just turn it on and leave it.

My main question is: Why would someone NOT use it? If it lets you sleep better... ****! Confused here.

Well, that's not always the case actually. Some people find the damned thing so uncomfortable that they either consciously or unconsciously remove it. Some people get the perfect setup right away. Others need mask and moisture adjustments, they don't know that the thing needs cleaning so sleep quality is reduced. Wearing something touching their face or blowing air through their nose is uncomfortable. Some people just feel like sleep apnea isn't as dangerous as it is.

Once you get the right machine and setup it's great I've been told and seen.

Okay, thank you.

I never had issues sleeping with the air tubes in my nose, or needles in my arms for days when under going major facial reconstruction surgery.

I suppose it's a hit 'n' miss type deal, and I just got lucky every time. Lol.

Thanks. :)

Beer in the sleeper

Short answer: Ask a CMV lawyer or just avoid the issue altogether and find something else to drink. Kefir is pretty damned tasty, iced tea, hot chocolate.

Well, I looked in on this thread because I was wondering about homemade hard cider and kombucha on resets. I think kombucha should be fine, I'll double check the alcohol percentage to make sure it's as far under the limit as I think it is since it's usually not even .5 of a percent. It's also not meant to give you a buzz. I think the hard cider would fall over it though.

It's unfortunate that truck drivers can turn into such shameless trolls on this forum sometimes. Attacking other's beliefs and driving status. Is there something out there in the truck stop food that I should watch out for? My mom always warned me to never eat sauces and soups I didn't make myself, maybe she was right.

I'll add a side note. I'm quite liberal and I believe firmly in gun safety. If beliefs makes bad people then we should all be killed for having them.

It was an off topic question based off of the childish, "Oh God!! Someone DIED so I could have this right, that privilege, THIS COUNTRY!!!! I BEST NOT DRINK ON MY TIME OFF BECAUSE *THE LAW* ALLOWS IT!!"

Far from trolling. Dead serious. Willing to kill (extinguish the life of another) someone over it. Nobody writes laws with the expectation of NO ONE to follow it.

It obviously was clearly outlined, and appears to be designed for those on 34hr resets. Sadly, a lot of companies have policies against it. So those people can't enjoy freedom.

Prime DOT physical

Beer in the sleeper

Apology accepted Errol, wow, quite a discussion

Yes, it is.

The question was answered a bit back by me. Brett misinterpreted it.

Everything else is someone upset that not everyone will pay someone to read a two paragraph law, and thinks it's wrong to abide by laws (drinking in a CMV off duty).

Finally solo

Yeah im still slow at trying to find a parking spot, and id love to be able to run at 3am but so far my appointment times have stopped me from doing that. Like today for instance i have 12 hrs left on my 70, i cant get anyone on the phone at the receiver to see if they will take me early and my appt is at 5pm. Its also in jersey where theres no parking anywhere. So im thinking i have to wait til the last minute to start my clock get in and deliver this and hope i can get out before i run out of hours. This is the crappy part of trucking im assuming. As for the directions we have CoPilot on our pc but mine wasnt installed right so it doesnt work very well. As soon as i come back from hometime my fm is gonna set me up an appt with a shop to get it taken care of.

Regulations say as long as you're free to leave, aren't working (hazmat MUST remain on-duty): You can change to off-duty or sleeper berth.

It's what I do when I'm forced to wait at a Ma & Pa Mexican shipper. Then I proceed to take a nap. :)

Beer in the sleeper

In my opinion it is not worth the extra exercise pushing my luck.

And that is the exact reason this great nation is falling apart. I assume you're one of the... Persons... Who is anti open carry or simply anti gun? Off topic, but just a hunch.

Daniel, after being busted twice for the same thing is it still worth it to skirt the edge of the rules? How much did this cost you in lost time and legal fees? It sounds like this all happened to you in your personal vehicle and not a commercial vehicle.

Excuse me? "Busted?" Excuse me? Are you attempting to imply I intentionally broke state law? Perhaps you should read up. Video cameras don't lie, and I am sure the dash cam captured the officer placing my bottle of Everclear in the back seat, then my jacket over it, and the firewood atop that.

Cost me? Well, let's see. 36mpg, approximately 10mi, fuel was a little over $2.20/gal... Hm. About $3.78 of fuel, 35min, and a beautiful trio to the park by the railroad tracks in Smithville, Texas.

I see you are illiterate enough to the point that you'd be willing to shell out large sums of money for someone else to read two paragraphs of text. I am not that frugal. Sorry.

Correct. Personal vehicle. I figured why everyone was pulling off topic: I would half-track it on with personal experience (as in: Open container of alcohol, laws, and non-CMV).

But, at least the OP has a definitive answer, and I have my free speech and self defense until your kind attempts to trample on it as well.

Boy, assumptions do make you look like an ass. I live in a state that has probably more liberal gun laws than texas. As a matter of fact I love guns of all types. If everyone carried then there would be less crime. I am probably one of the most conservative people you will ever meet but that also does not mean I want confrontation or run from it. Why bring more hassle into your life than you already have? I just want to be left alone and if that means I have to follow a few rules then so be it. That particular rule is not that hard.

As for what it cost you, you hired a lawyer or at least you implied that in your post to Brett. I did not imply anything about you intentionally breaking the law, you got cited/busted twice for pretty much the same thing. Yes you got off and there were no consequences and you did not break the law but you did have to deal with the hassle of getting it dropped and paying for a lawyer. That is unless you had a public defender.

And as for trampling your rights....rofl-1.gifrofl-1.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif

It is people with attitudes like you have that make liberals and moderates both want to trample those rights.

You are beyond delusional then, son. Time to get reading glasses.

You are absolutely right. Texas has been an anti gun state for a while. Texas recently signed open carry. A privilege I exercise daily, and will off my property next month.

You are claiming I "implied" I paid someone to read for me? Where? What "hassle" you bumbling fool? I used to LIVE in Smithville. Go google "168 O'Grady road bastrop fire."

The word "BUSTED" implies negative intent (breaking of laws). Your free English lesson has now ended.

@Persian: http://i.imgur.com/Lvlm4i1.jpg

Come by and say hi!!

Beer in the sleeper

Daniel, that chip on your shoulder hurt much?

Hi pretend driver!! How're you today? I'm in Laredo, TX getting paid $50+ a day to relax. How about you? :)

Driving Fears or Anxiety

Super fun to drive across fully loaded though!! :)

Beer in the sleeper

In my opinion it is not worth the extra exercise pushing my luck.

Beer in the sleeper

1) Have physical control. Even though you are on a 34 hour reset, you still have PHYSICAL CONTROL by having keys to the vehicle.

That is more than likely referring to specialized CMVs; Such as a tow truck with external controls. You can physically control it, without operating (driving). It could also be in reference to having the keys in the ignition (as is the case with Texas state law). Now you are physically controlling non-operational components of a CMV while intoxicated (think: Hazard hauling tanker).

Me? Lucky? Negative. I know how to read English, and abide by laws. It's really not as complex as it sounds. Thanks for the winning vote though.

Last bit: "Physical control of" may have been put there as a blanket statement (see: Ernie's thoughts) to continue to fully enforce the police state we've been in, at all cost. Which means alcohol may be a violation 100% (entirely up to an officer's judgement).

Very similar to Texas' PI charge (now blanket statemented).

Beer in the sleeper

I have to admit this conversation is making my stomach hurt. Just the thought of having any alcohol in or around a commercial vehicle shows the worst possible judgment imaginable. I can completely understand wanting to know the specific laws governing the industry so that's why I'm willing to discuss this. But it's like discussing whether or not a sex offender can legally work at a daycare center. Whether it's legal or not seems secondary to the better judgment that's expected from people in places of great responsibility.

Personally? I drink at home, with my girlfriend (not after this past week, obviously), and her diabetic father (because it makes his pains go away).

As long as a person understands their body, drinks responsibly (a buzz; not blackout drunk), and follows all laws: I don't understand what's so bothersome. But! To each their own.

One of my last 4 co-drivers had a weed pipe in their possession. I was unaware until the week we switched. It just fell out of their clothes.

Now THAT is upsetting.

Beer in the sleeper

Is is against federal law to have an open alcoholic drink in the sleeper while off duty?

Yes. It is legal.

What is ILLEGAL is to be in possession of ('have') that alcohol (whether open or closed container) while on-duty, or while operating the vehicle (in a loop of falsifying logs).

You're welcome.

Beer in the sleeper

So there you have it. Federal laws banning the operating of a commercial motor vehicle while in possession of alcohol.

Ah, I see what the miscommunication is.

Allow me to clarify: Texas law (very recent) declared that a driver cannot operate a motor vehicle with an open container (broken seal); with few exceptions.

The question being asked is not if a driver may drink half a beer, 4hrs before being on duty, store it, then operate the vehicle.

He is asking if it is legal to drink in the vehicle while off duty (yes). While on a 34hr reset (yes).

Thanks, Brett. :)

Beer in the sleeper

Pay special attention to number three. "While the driver possesses" with the only exceptions being manifested as part of the shipment or bus passengers.

From the FMCSA Regulations On Alcohol Prohibition:

§ 392.5: Alcohol prohibition.

(a) No driver shall—

(1) Use alcohol, as defined in § 382.107 of this subchapter, or be under the influence of alcohol, within 4 hours before going on duty or operating, or having physical control of, a commercial motor vehicle; or

(2) Use alcohol, be under the influence of alcohol, or have any measured alcohol concentration or detected presence of alcohol, while on duty, or operating, or in physical control of a commercial motor vehicle; or

(3) Be on duty or operate a commercial motor vehicle while the driver possesses wine of not less than one-half of one per centum of alcohol by volume, beer as defined in 26 U.S.C. 5052(a), of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, and distilled spirits as defined in section 5002(a)(8), of such Code. However, this does not apply to possession of wine, beer, or distilled spirits which are:

(i) Manifested and transported as part of a shipment; or

(ii) Possessed or used by bus passengers.

I believe you are mistaken. It clearly states two stipulations while in possession: A) ON-DUTY, B) OPERATION OF ("driving")

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. 34hr reset requires an absence of ON-DUTY status; not to mention that, what you're saying would literally make the statement "prior to 4hrs" have no meaning.