Comments By Eric

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete-2.jpg avatar
  • Eric
  • Comments:

Owner op worth it?

Hey guys, I've been a company guy for 6 months with Swift, I just left and I'm going over to Werner. I was just curious, pros/cons of doing lease op? Any suggestions, tips? I'm really considering it, Id like to have more control and say in what I do, but I also don't want to screw myself either.

What am I getting into?

Well, I have 6 months of experience and I just left for Werner this morning. I was told 2 day orientation and I get my truck on Monday. But I'm sure there's more to it then that, so I'm just curious, anyone know how much bull**** I should look forward to?

Werner?

I just left Swift a few weeks ago, I'm going over to Werner with 6 months experience. Any idea on what to expect as far as orientation, equipment? Yadda yadda.

I lost my job..

Yeah sorry I probably left details out, I'm just not doing so great right now. He told me I got the 20 days from being on dedicated because I switched to OTR and I live in NH now.

I lost my job..

Of course it wasn't. Basically I was at home and got snowed in for a week. I ended up turning my truck in once the weather cleared and told him I'm having family problems I need like 10-12 days, he said it was fine I could take up to 30 days. But then after I wanted to come back he said I need to do a reinstatement and that's why they're denying me my job. It makes no sense because they didn't fire me when it happened in August. I literally feel like this is the end of my career. I don't even know what to do at this point.

I lost my job..

So I've been with Swift since July. In August this woman ran a stop sign and hit my reefer tank in a Walmart parking lot when I was on dedicated. Swift didn't fire me for it. So a couple weeks ago I was told by my DM that I accumulated over 20 days off. I was having family issues so I asked if I could take 12 days off. He said yes but turn your truck in, so I turned it in. Next thing I know he told Phoenix that I quit. I already spoke to Phoenix and told them I did not quit. He gives me a call this morning and said my reinstatement was denied because of my accident and they sent me a bill for 2K. What am I supposed to do now? I have a wife and daughter, and now no job...

Day cab or OTR

Also it's $18/HR usually 35-40 hours weekly

Day cab or OTR

I've been doing otr with Swift for a while now, I have a wife and a three year old daughter, they keep me out for a minimum of two weeks usually and only two days at home. I have a little over 6 months right now, I just got an offer for a day cav job today 25 minutes from my house, but I'll be running Boston and New york city, as a 21 year old with 6 months you can imagine this is pretty intimidating, lol. I've ran Manhattan before but only on 95 through jersey up to Hartford. I understand the stops and physical work will probably be much more demanding. Any tips or advice from experience?

Endorsements?

Well I'm currently with Swift, but I want to jump on with Schneider intermodal so I can be home 3 times a week, but they want me to obtain my Tanker and Hazmat within 60 days.

Endorsements?

So I'm studying to get some endorsements on my license. I want to knock them all out in one day if possible. Doubles/ Tanker/ Hazmat, but Hazmat requires fingerprinting and so forth. Would it make sense to do it all at once and get a new copy of my license only to wait up to a month for my Hazmat to go through and need another copy of my license printed again?

Northeast companies

I'm sitting at a rest area in WV, and have come to realize that OTR is just not for me. I ran Walmart dedicated in Alabama before this but my daughter and her mom moved up with my family in NH. So I'm wondering, are there and companies that run new england? Maybe even daycabs? I see old dominion and Conway in NH all the time. I'm looking for home once at least every 2 weeks or more if possible. I also have a ticket from an "accident" in a parking lot from last year, so that could limit me to certain companies. I'm with swift right now but the closest they are to my house is NY or NJ.

Not so clean record

Umm, sure.

Not so clean record

So, I drive for swift. I have 1 ticket for following to closely a few years ago in a car, I also have a ticket for an improper turn which resulted in an accident in a parking lot. I was doing waart dedicated, went to pull into a walmart, girl was texting and drove into my reefer tank. Walmart denied any camera footage even though a camera was aimed right at me. Needless to say I lost the court battle. She was crying at the scene and playing victim. I'm trying to find a company that with hire me with that record, and 6 months experience. I can't stand swift anymore, I can't even hit my brake pedal without them calling it a critical event and threatening to terminate me over it, or overspeed violations for letting my truck coast to 70 in a 75 zone. Its a joke.

Tips and worst cities?

Hey guys, I'm just now going OTR. I've been on a dedicated out of Alabama for what seems like forever. I just finished my first run to memphis now about to head to Flint Michigan. I just wanted to know which cities you find the most challenging to drive a truck in, also any tips for me this winter? Thanks!

Nervous as hell

Okay so my trailer lights stopped working a while ago, I threw my 4 ways on and pulled into the first lot I saw, so I made a uturn in the mall entrance so I could be set up to get out, no cara around or anything. I ended up tearing the grass up a little bit because my truck turns super wide, well come to find out this weird plastic flat cover was in the grass and also got ran over and water stared leaking out all over the parking lot. Any idea what it might even be? I'm kinda freaking out now, I had no idea because it was a flat cover in the grass and there was basically nowhere else for me to pull off the road to check my lights.

Traffic Camera

So I'm in Hoover Alabama last night, real nice town. I'm going down a hill at like 45mph, light turns red right as I'm crossing. I didn't see a flash but I saw this constant led light flashing like 30 times, even after I was a mile down the road. Not sure if it took my picture, but even if it did, is that punishable by points on my CDL? I'm getting really sick of these cameras, I havent gotten a ticket for it before, but now I'm worried. I mean, I try to anticipate the light changing but I'm not going to slow down to 5mph for every light when I'm fully loaded going down hill.

Celadon or C R England

Celadon, when I was in salt lake city with swift, I literally saw CR guys walking over to swift to apply for a job.

OTR or Dedicated

I'm on a Walmart dedicated with swift, some days I love it and some days I hate it. I get home once a week to see my daughter but still feel like its not enough. My personal life sucks and I no longer have friends or do anything fun. I want to go OTR, but I keep hearing freight is terribly slow, its getting slow on my account also and my checks are dropping, is it time to just find a new profession? I'm at a roadblock here. I'm nervous to do OTR but I know it will be more exciting but is it worth it?

I hit a dog tonight

No police report, cops actually didn't seem to care, animal control or someone else removed the dog and that was that. I reported to swift and they simply asked for pictures and ordered me a new side piece and fog light.

I hit a dog tonight

So I've been driving a truck for Swift since June, I know "Swift" smh, lol. Anyways, I was on a state route going 60 when this huge dog literally ran in front of my truck, I hit my brakes, but quickly remembered what they told me in school, so I had to hit him. I'm super upset over this, I wish he would've run just a bit faster, half of my bumper is also gone. I assume this is a common thing right? Like if I go to apply at another company a year from now it won't just show up as an accident?