Comments By Daniel B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0547994001510807093-4018.png avatar
  • Daniel B.
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Daniel B.

I should be there and parked by 1330, at the latest.

Okay. Email me at truckerdan44@yahoo.com and Ill give you my contact info

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Daniel B.

Of course! I can stop by after church probably between 1300-1800.

Posted:  6 months ago

I am looking at starting with Wilson Logistics - What ELD do they use

Why does it matter? Among all the questions there is to ask about a company, why this one?

Posted:  6 months ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

My wife is a dispatcher for a small O/O company of about 12 drivers. I told her your story and the first thing she said was "I would deny him too".

Sounds harsh but let me put it in perspective. They, and probably the company you replied to, are a super small company that must prioritize risk because one driver getting into a bad at-fault accident will put the company out of business. The bank isn't exactly in the millions. They need to be careful who they let in and a driver who is 70 years old is obviously at huge risk but obvious reasons. Its not worth the risk.

The insurance company has all the say and whether you like it or not their insurance company might not be premium and they declined you.

But take heart, theres a trillion other companies out there so no need to dwell on this one. Just take their reply and move on in my opinion.

Posted:  6 months ago

Brand new driver seeking wisdom and advice

This thread could use more Dan's.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Always check, before pulling it out

Nice man. Yeah that's stressed pretty hard at our terminal. It has happened before but there wasn't freight on the plate but the dock worker was on the forklift inside the trailer when he pulled out. Went for a ride for a few feet.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Change of career from law enforcement to CDL driver

Hey guys. This is my first post here. I was hoping to get some input on a career change from law enforcement to driving commercially.

I have been in law enforcement for about 5 years now. Needless to say, the current climate has been extremely demoralizing. Practices with my agency have changed dramatically and it seems like I can no longer do my job without a supervisor breathing down my neck or question every decision I make. The result is me coming home stressed and in a bad mood everyday.

I have my CDL A already, but have no experience outside of driving for the military. I was drawn to this career path as I do DOT inspections at my local agency as an ancillary duty. I love this aspect of law enforcement and have not had any bad encounters with drivers. I'm fairly well versed on the title 49 regulations and what not. Unfortunately this is an aspect of my job that I can't do regularly as I still have to answer calls for service.

The idea of truck driving sounds very appealing and I have no doubt I would enjoy it. My only concerns are taking a paycut (my base salary is $51,000ish) and being away from family. I am getting married at the end of September and the idea of going away for months at a time right after that doesn't sound all that great to me of my significant other. Money isn't everything for me, but at the same time, I'm not exactly in a position where I could take a paycut.

All in all, I'm tired of the micromanagement and the culture surrounding American law enforcement right now. The idea of changing careers is pretty scary, but being miserable in my current career isn't my much better.

Is there any advice or words of wisdom you guys are able to provide? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody told you this but you’ll be just as stressed as a truck driver

Maybe the first year. Maybe. I'm on my 8th year and I do local P&D which is just about the hardest it gets in trucking and I'm pretty relaxed and my stress level is very minimal.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Change of career from law enforcement to CDL driver

These kind of threads pull at my heart strings the most. It kills me thinking about how terribly officers are being treated. And I can't even imagine having to explain common sense actions that you had to take to defend yourself to a superior. Then I go on facebook and read a bunch of women who work in offices who have probably never had a life or death situation happen in their lives critiquing the actions of an officer when they don't know jack. All of a sudden everyone is an expert.

Thank you Sean for what you do. You and your fellow officers are a blessing.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Going local

It all depends on who the customers are and where you are driving to. I start at the local terminal at 3am and assigned a daycab. I usually head up to First Quality Tissue and garb my preloaded trailer and its either a single stop or two-stop run to Costco or Sam's. Live unloads and return to grab a load and drive to Atlanta, GA. Mainly NE to SW in the Fairburn, GA. Having to cross Atlanta is a challenge every day. Those fools constantly wreck. When I get down there I am dropping my trailer and grabbing an empty to head to my next pickup and drop the empty to get my loaded trailer. Then to get back through Atlanta, GA and drop the backhaul in either Greenville or Anderson SC. I always end up maxing my 14 and usually have to do use the short haul exemption every week. I get paid hourly and I end up averaging 65 hours in 5 days.

I salute you. Personally, the entire reason that I went local is to get my life back. You wouldn't catch me working 65 hours per week. Local is for work:life balance. OTR is for working 65 hours per week to maximize the income- in my opinion.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Just getting started and already it's bad.

20 bucks says he won't be back. We been through this too many times guys.

rofl-2.gif

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Old Dominion announces new pay raises

I'm here sitting at 27.55 and I thought we were paid a high amount.

OD doesnt pay overtime from what I've heard, Atleast for drivers so all time is paid at that hourly rate. If you worked the same amount of hours you'd earn a larger paycheck due to OT pay. Of course your body is taking a beating compared to the P&D driver bumping docks and occasionally unloading a pallet with a hand Jack. From what I've noticed is OD is most people wanting to get into LTL work want to work at OD. I'm not sure how they differ from other options but by offering such a strong pay rate they're able to recruit the best of the best. Sysco offers so much in part because of the union but they also know if they don't pay that well they won't have anybody working there lol.

We get OT after 12 in a day or after 60 in a week

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Old Dominion announces new pay raises

Honestly I was expecting to get nothing and hoping for 1 cpm really surprised we are getting the full 1.9 cpm. Plus the extra paid holiday is great.

Plus they "overpay" linehaul because they know we do all the hard work.

Maybe the rest of the week but not today lol. 14 different deliveries and 10 different pickups but I did have to refuse one pickup due to poor packaging. We are slammed right now on both city and linehaul

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Air Brake Test w/o chocks?

Yeah you concern me too. You sound... rushed? It sounds like you just need some kind of income at this very moment and trucking is what the dice pointed to. Its a very stressful process. I wouldn't expect an income anytime soon and this isn't just a quick get out of debt card. Its literally a lifestyle change that takes months to get a foot off the floor and then you'll need to learn how to actually make money.

I would slow down and consider all your options because the route you want to go is actually the worst route to take. You're not going to pass your test without weeks of schooling/training and you're going to burn everything you have in savings just by renting trucks.

Go this route Paid CDL Training Programs

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Air Brake Test w/o chocks?

Why test in an automatic? You'll have a restriction on your license and most companies are still using manuals

From the things I've come across online... it seemed like many companies have been transitioning to autos.

Maybe it varies per company or type of driving...

But for OTR cross country with the company I have in mind, I think auto should be no problem.

What happens if you want to go local or if your future company has no new trucks with automatics but they only have old trucks with manuals? Why put that limitation on yourself

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Air Brake Test w/o chocks?

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Air Brake Test w/o chocks?

Chocks are absolutely not needed. Remember you will constantly be hitting the brakes and during the leak test you will have your foot on the pedal the entire time. This is why putting the truck in gear at the proper time of the test is so critical. Putting the truck in gear is what prevents you from rolling.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

XPO Logistics P&D LTL

Howdy. I do P&D with OD. Allow me to clarify this night shift but people keep bringing up. There is no 6pm to 6am nightshift in P&D because we deliver to businesses that are your typical 9-5. Low seniority guys usually start after 9am (as late as 1200) and will usually always be done before 2200. There was only two times ever that I worked an odd schedule and that was because they had a delivery to a port and it needed to be there by 0400 or the shipping was on us. The other time was because I had to confuct fuel efficiency training on all the overnight linehaul drivers. Yeah you'll have to do your time on the bottom but even at its worst, the schedule isn't anything as bad and unpredictable as OTR.

OD doesn't do nights for P&D drivers, but most LTL companies do and XPO is one of them. I'm classified as a P&D driver and I have a 2 AM start time. I work the dock if that's what's needed and I run linehaul if that's what's needed. Some days I work the dock for a few hours and then run linehaul.

XPO, USPF, ABF, FXF and a bunch of others operate this way. I have no idea what time I'm finishing work, I only know that I come in at 2 and if we're busy (after everything opened from COVID or after a snow storm) I'm working weekends too.

Also, if you're looking into starting a family do some research. I hear horrible things about XPOs benefits. High deductibles and high premiums. Just food for thought.

Correct but you would be classified as a combo driver. I'm talking about a fulltime P&D who only does deliveries and pickups

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Old Dominion announces new pay raises

P&D drivers got a .90 raise which brings the top pay to $31.53 per hour.

Dock workers got a .75 raise which brings their top pay to $28.10 per hour.

As if they weren't overpaid enough, Linehaul received 1.9cpm which brings their top pay somewhere between .74 to .75cpm.

Please note it takes 3 years of service to reach top pay.

Last year it was announced that we will get Christmas Eve off and paid for. This year it was just announced that we will be getting the day after Thanksgiving off and paid for.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

XPO Logistics P&D LTL

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Cabin Weight Limits for Personal Belongings

You'll be fine man. This isn't a concern at all. I drove at 12450 on my steers for 2 years and never got any attention for it. Pack whatever you want dude. The tractor can handle it and I doubt you have soooooo much stuff that it will actually make a difference.