Comments By G-Town

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/gtown.jpg avatar
  • G-Town
  • Comments:

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Why Does This Crazy Stuff Keep Happening To Me?

Word had gotten out: your Volvo is really a food truck specializing in Asian Fusion.

Poor driver didn’t know you were plum sold out of egg rolls.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Coolest pickup truck ever

1939 Mack I saw at an ATHS truck show about 20 years ago. I’ve got a picture of it somewhere… I’ll try to find it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Hello fellow drivers!!!!!

Congratulations Double D !!!

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Sent home from Melton flatbed

Everyone makes mistakes Victor. It’s those who learn from them that ultimately prevail.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Sent home from Melton flatbed

Not sure where you got that from but people dont use atlases for much anymore. Garmin has that in it.

It’s obvious that you don’t.

Trip planning is knowing where you are going, familiarizing yourself with the route (yes, using an Atlas) and jotting down basic directions in the event the GPS fails (which it will)

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Where One door closes another one opens and with the help of the safety director!

It’s obvious that you don’t.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Looking at different companies

Maybe…

rofl-1.gif

Meteorology is the only science that accepts terms like scattered, mostly, partly and chance of.

Steve, you left out the weather forecast.

Those also sound like fragments of CB conversations when I think about it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Sent home from Melton flatbed

Victor… seriously? Do not hold Melton accountable for your mistakes. There was nothing wrong with your truck, and frankly; switched lines is a very easy problem to figure out (trailer spring brakes will not release) and blindly following your GPS in lieu of adequate trip planning. All you.

Sorry Man, you’re a nice guy, but don’t throw Melton under the bus for not overlooking your multiple mistakes. They are a business that needs to make a profit. You cost them too much money…

Hey man I worked at Melton up till April 22,2022. I will say this although Melton is a great place to start out at or go for a career they are very strict on standards and in my case I had made a couple rookie mistakes as far as reporting a vehicle I genuinely thought there was a problem with and then a piece of equipment I was recovering that I thought was having serious problems but I switched the lines and so it costed a few days in the shop and the shop lost my number so they could not get ahold of me so although I initially paid for the True hotel fee they reimbursed it all so it just cost a good bit of money for something as simple as a switched airhose. But those were not what broke the camels back. I was not told until Tuesday that I was released from light duty by a safety board member and so that added to me waiting till Thursday to get my truck then I get my truck and load and get everything around on Friday and then head off. What evidently happened was with my Garmin dezl OTR1000 is that I thought it was giving me truck stops along my route and instead took me out of route to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma from Tulsa, Oklahoma and then back across to going towards Clear Brook, Virginia where I reside since the load was to carrt me home. Well that took a good chunck out of my drive time so I turned in 126 miles away from Tulsa, Oklahoma in Chateau, Oklahoma. So I got a message saying there was something wrong with the load and that I needed to get another one (that was a lye I later found out,) and I get back scam through inspection bay and turned the truck to the shop for some repairs. Ok. Well then I was to meet with Russell Robertson who basically relayed the message that because I turned thoe items in plus the mistake that I was either going to resign or be terminated. I resigned.

All to say is, although Melton is q fantastic company they have some high expectations of their drivers and they have their own negatives but do not get strung out on Melton as the be all end all get all kind of company. Try for Bennett Motor Express or Payne Trucking or McElroy Truck Lines but do not give in or up till you have done ALLLLLL you can to succeed!😎👍🙏.

Praying for you Mr. Colman!

Was sent home today for not picking up fast enough on securement…. I have driving experience so they said they couldn’t put me with a trainer. Though I have no flatbed experience Any options? What to do now ?

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Looking at different companies

Steve, you left out the weather forecast.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Did I just lose my job

They might have you take LCQT training at one of their terminals.

Here is a thread about it:

Swift LCQT

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Have an opinion? I know.. the dang FMCSA again.... but ?!?

Dragon and PackRat… I echo your thoughts on this. Totally agree. Trying to solve a problem that isn’t understood, almost always makes it worse.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Looking at different companies

What is your second choice and why?

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Looking at different companies

Okay…

Do here’s the thing;

Even if you are the perfect candidate, for a variety of reasons they are not obligated to disclose, Roehl may pass on you. Then what?

That’s why we suggest to exercise multiple options.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Looking at different companies

James we almost always suggest NOT to put all of your eggs in one basket. You have many options, and yes Roehl is the only company I know if that pays a student while they are in school. There is a distinction though it’s important to understand; school (Paid CDL Training Programs) and road training are two different things. Every company pays a driver during road training (including Prime).

If you cannot financially afford 3+ weeks without a paycheck while in school, then indeed Roehl might be your primary option.

I suggest using this link to see who bites:

Also not a bad idea to read and study these links:

Good luck!

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

The “Knock on the door”

First of all did you take notice of any “no parking” signs? If there was, and it cl army stayed no parking then the Officer was well within his bounds to write you up. If nothing was posted then I’d try to fight it on principal alone.

Was he a jerk? Yes, primarily for waking you up.

And yes I’ve gotten a few knocks at backhauls to let me know my trailer was ready.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Swift Academy Memphis Tennessee

Nick I graduated from Swift Academy in Richmond. It was a positive experience.

Okay… reality the failure rate in every school is high. It’s not a reflection of the companies, but the nature of the trucking beast. It’s not easy.

Keep in mind many students are sent home for failing drug/alcohol tests and not passing the physical. Others leave because they quickly realize their presumption of this being a cake walk is false.

Pack Rat gave you great advice, STAY POSITIVE. Avoid negative people and find others who have a positive, focused mindset. Use your freetime to study the pretrip. It’s a significant piece of what you’ll be tested on.

Here is something that might help:

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Awesome!

Ok just heard from my recruiter and everything is a go! That’s a load off my mind. Now I can concentrate on studying my pre trip.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Driving Mountain Grades with an auto trans

100% agree.

I think it is wise to be cautious at this point.

It's a best practice to always handle all driving situations with caution, no matter the experience level.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Maybe this isn’t that great of a gig? Not sure

Kearsey wrote this:

I also had no use for a "med card" which equates to marijuana usage. If she wants to be high, I would rather have her off the road.

Great catch. Totally agree.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Walmart journey, take 2

Many companies will accept W2s and pay stubs. It’s proof you worked there.