Comments By Truckin Along With Kearsey

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0303587001595953318-44908.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

How do you renew a new mexico cdl permit

NJ DMV extended all expiration dates. So check online to see when yours will be extended until

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Prime Inc. PSD Covid Edition

Give your FM 2 weeks notice for home time. That way they can't say they didn't have notice to get you home. Rob Dcan answer your LW vs flatbed pay. I am not sure. Remember once you finish the miles to get on your FM to get you signed up for a truck. Once they have one.... About 3 to 6 days wait.... They will bring you in for more classes. Then you inspect the truck and get any repairs or modifications done. Then you will need to get your securement equipment. Understand you buy the tarps and straps yourself that they break into payments. Then get your load and go!!! We will be here for you as you move along. Keep truckin along.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Getting into trucking without 3 yrs employ. History

Most want felonies to be more than 10 years old since the end of sentence. 3 years work history as far as I know is more of a home land security thing. Terrorists used trucks as bombs to attack the WTC and Ft Dix army post. They want to know where you have been nd what you have been doing. If you have school or disability records many companies will accept this.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Trouble reaching Hireright

Their site says 10 to 15 business days unless unforeseen circumstances. That is 3 full weeks plus the holiday...and any delays covid may have caused.

If you got an email it may be confirming the receipt of your inquiry and they are working on it. Idk

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Almost ready to go.

Do not go through CDL school. You may not get hired and will have to do schooling over later. I don't know any companies that wont require a 3 year work history. That may be a big hurdle. Good luck

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

High winds, winter storms, wildfire smoke, and Wyoming.

I had one student go back and forth across WY all winter. He was from MS and feared the snow. He got past his fears. Haha.

Park it if it gets bad. Teaching them parking it is safe is part of training

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Advice on how to get the best training possible

At 8 mos Prime would basically put you through their"schooling" portion without giving you the exam. This is their "refresher course". You will deliver loads just like I did with my permit but the trainer will be in the seat next to you until you are ready to team. They wont charge you for this refresher but I suggest you continue working. Prime is very strict about work history.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

I am looking at starting with Wilson Logistics - What ELD do they use

Why not study the hours of service then rather than the software that keeps track of it.

Learn the 70 11 14 and 8 hour clocks. The graphs.. What recaps are

Learn what is on duty and not.

Items you can deduct on your taxes.. Such as? As far as I know company drivers cannot deduct anymore, not since the increase of the standard deductions. If you are planning to lease or own.... We are going to strongly advise against it.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

I am looking at starting with Wilson Logistics - What ELD do they use

Week after week year after year we see people come here concerned with fuel mpg, truck make, leasing buying etc. And the one thing they never seem to learn is driving the truck. Then they fail due to frustration because they focused on the wrong things.

This is a baby steps type of career. Have you gotten your permit or practiced the pretrip? These are more important. If you cant pass the Pretrip you wont need the ELD.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

I am looking at starting with Wilson Logistics - What ELD do they use

Please drop the sarcasm. Would you believe that one company can use both systems? prime does. The newer trucks have the IVG and the older ones.. 2018 2019 have the MCP200. It is probably the same at Wiltrans. They pull our freight and we repower each other. Our dispatchers see each others systems

It may Jist depend on your truck but the systems arent that different. Just different colors. As Daniel stated you have a ton more stuff to worry about than learning the system. You will have time rondo so.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Prime Inc. PSD Covid Edition

No... He can't keep you more than 50k miles unless you are unsafe have accidents tickets or critical events.

As for home time... It really isn't his decision. Message your FM--- NOT weekend or night dispatch but your FM with a date for home time.

No.... You don't have to run 4 weeks once solo. They will want 2 weeks solo before home time. So go home before you upgrade.

Nooooooo... 4 to 6 days without a shower is not acceptable and they must have given you numbers to call to switch trainers if you like.

Yes lease sucks which is why I don't do it. Labor day has indeed reduced miles.

yes lease ops try to get good students to stay on the truck or run a separate truck.

Yes going solo can be totally worth it.

Yes you could switch to FB right now and finish your miles.

Yes if you wait they will want 30 days of FB TnT after your 50k reefer.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Advice on how to get the best training possible

Jeremy... The point of training IS to get the practice. Most people come from a school with very little driving and backing experience. I have had 7 students. 3 had only local school experience. The others had gone over the road with the permit in prime training.

You are over thinking this. I had no trailer experience at all nor manual transmission driving. Yet here I am. Just apply yourself. I am uploading a video tonight about trainers. I have other videos about trainer expectations. Check them out.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Trucking company?

That is going to depend on where you live and if they have a route near you. I would guess that most are going to make you go through a refresher course or complete retraining.

Try Roehl

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Advice on how to get the best training possible

As a trainer of TNT at Prime.. I am confused by this statement

"I've looked into Prime but I'm concerned that if I go right into TNT that I wouldn't get the quality backing training that I believe I need to succeed. "

Prime has the longest training period (60,000 team miles for you coming in with a CDL), that I know of. So if you are concerned that going into training right away is an issue.... Then what and where do you propose? You have a CDL. The training is to refine your skills, give you practice and teach you the company methods. Some companies will put you with a trainer for 1 to 4 weeks and that is it. TNT at Prime will take at least 3 to 4 months in comparison.

As stated above, you will still learn more by going solo and will nowhere be near perfect. It will take a whole year to feel comfortable with backing and trip planning.

I also want to point out... I started training with 18 mos experience. Every student told Prime I am efficient and patient. One flat out told them "I had the best trainer in all of Prime. I knew almost everything when I went solo". I have helped mold several great and productive drivers, including having trained a few on this forum. If the student doesn't have the drive to succeed, the trainer is helpless. Now that I have 5 years, I am in fact better at training but I know drivers who have been training 10+ years who suck at it. A good trainer will find answers for you even if they don't know. Years of experience does not make someone want to teach or make them a good trainer. In addition..expecting a trainer with 10 years experience is ridiculous. You are eliminating drivers like me who are new enough to understand your fear and concerns yet experienced enough to teach.

Compassion, dedication, encouragement, understanding and patience does. I swear I need to make a "how to be a good trainer" video.

If you have Prime specific questions.. I am here.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Told company’s insurance company would not insure me because of age 70

Yeah I agree with banks. I wouldn't have done so. Why are you looking on Craigslist for a job. The only drivers I know who do that are high risk.

It is absolutely legal for an insurance company to charge more for an older person and the company may not want to pay that. Do you know anything about this company at all? Have you been there or seen the trucks?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Rookie Solo Adventures of a Knuckle Draggin Primate (Rob D.)

I know who told you to always put it in writing. And I claim that position. Lol

Great job

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Scared to drive..

Check out my youtube channel. I have a ton of videos of how I screwed up.... Even failed my CDL exam several times. Yet here I am 5 years later. Hang in there

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Scared to drive..

First.. Breathe and calm down. Remember you are a paying customer and are entitled to be spoken to and educated properly.

Second understand that you need to be calm at all times out here. Being emotional will cause accidents. Do not allow him to distract or upset you.

Third.... October is a month away. You have a lot of learning to do. So hang in there and get it done.

You can do this. I did. I had 76 in my class with only 3 of us women. So what? Gender plays no role in trucking.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

CR England and Premier Trucking School

Well thank you! People think being a free agent entitles you to bounce around from company to company at will. Eventually you will be seen as a job hopper and will only limit your available companies and decrease you pay options.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Light weight trucks

Thanks Kearsey, I appreciate your reply and enjoy your video's. Another quick question. I watched a weekly prime update and they were talking about in phase two of driver training at 40K miles. A student can team with another student to complete the additional training miles. What are your thoughts on this?

At 30k miles you can upgrade as an option, you dont have to, to a company team truck. It doesnt necessarily mean 2 students. Someone can upgrade to my truck and team drive with full team pay. They need to agree to team for 120 days.

In the past, Prime drivers went solo at 30k miles.... Including me. They added miles because students wanted more time not realizing that you could be in training a whole year and still not feel 100% comfortable going solo. You arent actually "finishing the training miles". It is just another possible phase if you want to. I did a video about this recently.

Some people like it because they have spouses or relatives coming at the same time and doing it. Others thought it was good to get away from the trainer but see how another driver may do things