Comments By Miss Miyoshi

https://i68.tinypic.com/2e2gxur.jpg avatar

Headed to Prime

If you're going to Springfield to train then you have to get your permit there. It's a Missouri law, not a Prime policy. They just changed it at the beginning of last year.

Meeting Rick tomorrow... anyone else?

So he escaped your basement dungeon thing on the first try? Nice.

Couldn't get her to my dungeon either. She was under the weather, so we didn't get to hang out much. We did have a nice lunch though/

Rick

rofl-3.gif

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

but this is by far the easiest job I've ever had.

Before I say anything further I'd like you to clarify something for me. Was "easy" really the word you wanted to use to describe this job, or maybe would something like "enjoyable" or "adventurous" or "exciting" be a better fit?

Because hearing a rookie say that trucking is easy has given me visions of ambulance lights and tombstones. It's one of the top 10 deadliest jobs in America and it's obviously not easy, but it is an adventure, it's a challenge, it's exciting sometimes, and it's a lot of other cool things. But it's certainly not easy.

So did you mean 'fun' or 'exciting' or 'adventurous'? That would be totally cool and I would agree completely.

I think I kind of understand what he's trying to say. In some ways, this really IS the easiest job I've ever had. But that's once I've made it out to the interstate and there's not a lot of traffic. The majority of my day is pretty simple: just keep the truck inside the lines and don't hit anything in front of you. It gets much trickier when there is a lot of traffic around, and then the real challenges come when you have to back into a spot and/or negotiate a shipping/receiving area/truck stop/etc. that you're not familiar with. But if you look at percentage of working hours, those challenging times are a drop in the bucket compared to the entirety of your day.

But saying it's "easy" doesn't necessarily imply you can be lax or not attentive to what you're doing. For me, saying my job is "easy" is just saying that I don't find what I'm doing overly complicated.

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

I ESCAPED FROM RAINY'S DUNGEON!!!!

Whoa! Welcome back! How's things goin?

Things are super awesome!!

Forever overdue update!

Thanks everyone! Brett, I think, if I had to be TOTALLY honest, I made up my mind to become a truck driver for sure when I was discussing the idea with my mom (who is a very traditional Japanese woman) and she said "Why do you want to do a man's job? You can't do that!" Well, telling me I can't do something pretty much guarantees that I'm at least going to try. I don't always succeed, but I'm super glad I'm succeeding at this so far!

A True Story About The Consequences of Refusing Loads

My thing is I don't understand all the hype about driving in the northeast. The snow and roads being shut down in winter weather is WAY worse out west, and no state in the northeast has chain laws! I know tolls are a bit higher, but if you're a company driver that doesn't matter because you're not paying it. Sure, there's traffic, but I live just outside of Washington, DC so I'm used to it. Prime doesn't deliver in Manhattan or Long Island, so all my NY runs are suburbs and more rural areas. Honestly, as a rookie driver, I didn't see why everyone was so bent out of shape about the northeast. I much prefer running up here than all the way across the country. I keep thinking "if THIS is what people consider unacceptable, they sure have lofty ambitions!"

Just starting as a female driver any suggestions out there?

The only thing different is that you have to double clutch a truck versus single clutching in a passenger vehicle. The pretrip will come to you in time. Don't worry. You can do what I did: I used the voice recorder on my phone to record the pretrip inspection and I listened to it over and over and over again, while driving, while cleaning the house, even while sleeping when I could! It's a great way to memorize anything. Good luck!

Headed to Prime

Good luck ladies! I drive for Prime and I LOVE them! I don't see myself going to any other company for a long time, and they really are a wonderful company to work for.

Tailgating on purpose: Truck Platooning

Interesting that the company name is Peloton. A peloton is the main group of cyclists in bicycle racing. The peloton basically is the support team for the lead cyclist of the team. He will often ride in the middle of the peloton as a way to conserve energy until it's his time to break away from the pack. If you watch something like the Tour de France or Giro d'Italia you can see how this works.

Names of companies that have meaning like this always intrigues me. There is a cyber security company that deals mainly with the government called Palantir. If you're a LotR fan, you'll understand why this made me chuckle when I first saw it.

Prime maybe? Mind if I pick your brain?

I ESCAPED FROM RAINY'S DUNGEON!!!!

Meeting Rick tomorrow... anyone else?

So he escaped your basement dungeon thing on the first try? Nice.

Physical required sleep study. Now what?

Prime pays for the study, and if you have to get the machine they can do a payroll deduction over time for you to pay for it.

First year pay totals with Prime

Advertisements are always going to give you the best case scenario. Just because most aren't earning that doesn't mean there aren't some people that are earning that. I'm almost in line with what Rainy posted, but honestly I didn't look at my earnings in total yet. I have a husband who is a type 1 diabetic, so I maxed out all of my insurances, benefits, etc. So I pay out over $200/week on benefits alone, not including taxes. I get a decent chunk taken out, but I also make a decent gross as well. What helps is I have a lightweight, drive in the northeast regional area, and I don't push my speed so that I can make fuel bonus. I haven't averaged less than at least 8mpg the entire time I've been driving. I've even pushed it to 10mpg on two different pay periods. Also, my health insurance rates will drop by 50% (!!!) once I hit my 1 year mark, so I have that to look forward to.

Where have they gone?

I was locked in Rainy D's basement. Managed to escape though.

Frustrations training with Prime on the road

That statement is unacceptable. You're ready for it the minute you're in the truck. That is what training is for. Go over your FM's head. Rainy is correct about the reason the FM is unwilling to have you switch trainers. I had a TERRIBLE experience with my trainer saying the exact same thing and they were pushing me to upgrade before I was ready. I got another trainer and learned more in 3 weeks with her than I did with my original trainer in 2 months. It took a bit of pushing to get the trainers switched, and I had evidence she violated HoS and other safety rules, so it made my switch much easier.

Demand more backing time, and make it clear to your trainer what you expect out of your training experience and what you want to learn. You won't be an expert when you upgrade. You'll still be nervous and unsure of yourself, and time and experience will help all of that. It takes about 6 months of driving on your own before you feel like you've really got this thing down, and even then you'll have off days.

Training is a tough time, and I think as a trainee we put more pressure on ourselves to do everything right. Don't worry. Your trainer is not "grading" you and the only way you're going to fail is if you quit. So discuss your expectations with your trainer using clear, precise language, and in the mean time put in a few calls to the people mentioned so you can get another trainer. Believe me, they WILL help you get the training you need.

Forever overdue update!

You know, I am very proud of what I've been able to accomplish. It's very empowering knowing I can do the things I can do. Let's face it, even though the culture of truck driving is changing in many ways for the better, it's still something of a surprise to see a woman behind the wheel. I get an immense amount of satisfaction when people ask me "you drive that thing???" Of course, there are some days that I can back into a spot other drivers tell me they wouldn't have attempted. And some days I could have 15 spaces open on either side of me and I still won't be able to back in straight. I rather hate those days, and it really affects your psyche when you know people are watching you just muck up like that. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there's extra pressure to be "perfect" at my job simply because I am a woman and there are still a lot of men out there that think we're just not cut out for the job. I try not to think about it too much or let it get to me, but it's a constant thought in the back of my mind. The good thing though is when I do a difficult maneuver without much trouble, I know that they are more impressed simply because I'm a woman. A guy might not get the same respect for the same action. It's a weird thing, but it keeps me on my toes, always trying to make sure I do my best every day.

Rollover vs jackknife

Keep the shiny side up, as they say.

At Prime, a jack-knife won't get you fired, unless a bunch of other stuff happened as well or you've done it too much and are deemed a safety hazard. A rollover is immediate dismissal, regardless of circumstances.

First trip to far northeast. Advice?

I second the driving at night part. As much as you can plan it that way, it's the best advice, especially once you're familiar with the area. I usually try to do that as much as possible.

Truck App