Comments By Bolt

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0873983001517970621-47748.jpg avatar
  • Bolt
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Podcast 10: Terminal Rats Are Derailing Trucking Careers

Occasionally we end up with Forum rats. Just put out some bait and watch them gather.

rofl-3.gifrofl-2.gif

Beginning truck driving - School or on the Job training?

THere will be several that will post several links to help with your research,but until then. All schools have one goal......to train you to get your cdl A license. Independent truck driving schools or community colleges either one will help you with this. You will have to pay 3000-5000 dollars for this knowledge.

Company sponsored schools are generally about 3 weeks long and will give you the same knowledge.....to pass the cdl skills test. Neither will be paid. WIth company sponsored schools after your training you will go through orientation, offered a job then start road training. Road training can last from 3 or 4 weeks to a month or so. You will be paid during this time. After road training you will then get to go solo and make what ever that company is paying for entry level drivers.

Remember company sponsored schools have a vested interest in you not only obtaining your cdl but being successful. Yes these companies will want you to sign a contract and stay with them between 9 and 12 months. They will deduct a small monthly payment to pay for the school. After the required time with the company is completed your "school loan" is paid off.

I hope this helps some.

Podcast 10: Terminal Rats Are Derailing Trucking Careers

Wow this topic went south fast. From someone that is getting into the industry I thank you Brett for all the content and all the positive moderators and experienced drivers who post frequently.

One thing I learned in college was about opposing viewpoints. To make this world keep spinning we need republicans and democrats, liberals and conservatives, good and bad. These are important to foster debate and change.

Had it not been for The info on here I would be left with the same prejudices against the industry and certain companies, one of which I will be starting school with in may.

By reading the various posts on this site alone many that contradict many of things I've heard before I am able to compare the two, what I thought I knew and what I have gotten here, and make better decisions.

Thanks again.

Going from bus driver to truck driver?

Her as how I'm looking at an industry change. Im,in construction and make around 42,000 a year. The first couple months are going to be real tight on me. If I could work 50+ hours a week in construction I would make more money than,i can trucking. I average about 40-45 hours a week right now. I will work more hours in a truck but will make more money than,i am right now. An added bonus is I won't have to continuesly by tools, buy fuel to get my self to and from,work, and less wear and tear on my personal truck. When you addbthise things up it is almost a 300-400 month raise. The big companies offer better benefits than I currently receive plus I get paid to see the country.

In my second year of driving I should far and exceed what I make now. I'm also outside in the heat, cold, rain, snow, and whatever else mother nature wants to throw at me. To me it is a win win all the way around.

Podcast 10: Terminal Rats Are Derailing Trucking Careers

I think you've oversimplified things. You tie success to performance, but I'm sure there are plenty of skilled truckers that, at one point, worked hard, that are now complaining at the terminals. You imply that the complainers can't possibly be productive workers, which also isn't true. I'm a huge complainer everywhere I've worked, but I've always become the most productive worker. That doesn't stop me from quitting when I can't tolerate it anymore, but being a "yes" man just enables exploitation...

and big business WILL exploit you. So yeah, you'll definitely be more likely to be successful as a sycophant, but that makes you a pathetic dog.

What's the point in complaining other than making you sound like a spoiled 2 year old. There are constant complainers where iWork now and while they may be good solid hands I try ti,put them,in **** jobs just because they complain. I'm not a yes man, but I also don't complain either.

My question though is, when,i get to school if I see a student getting sucked into the terminal rat mode of thinking can he or she be pulled back from the dark side before its too late?

Veterans Scholarship

Just got work from my recruiter that I was approved for Swift's veteran scholarship plan. Woohoo for saving a few pennies.

You still need to get your own grub with Swift. And "a few pennies"? Try Three hundred forty thousand pennies!

Bring a copy of your DD-214 with you to class, unless you sent your recruiter a copy.

I have emailed my DD 214. I have planned on eating pennies. Just waiting on my start date.

Veterans Scholarship

During your training are you able to get your housing stipend and book stipend from VA? If not, I would say it isn't worth it. But that is me.

Swift will pay for the room. The benefit is that I don't have to pay the school back. I will have to stay with them for a year. If I quit or even take a non driving job with Swift then the full amount is due immediately.

Veterans Scholarship

Let's hear from the extroverts

To clarify a point or two. I understand the learning curve when entering the trucking industry. I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize me becoming on of Swift's top drivers and I sure as he'll don't want to be on the highlight real. Lord knows Swift has enough of those entries already. If I can call and visit with my brother truckers that's great. I have a blue tooth radio in my pickup and it is awesome. I will put one in all my vehicles.

So the question I had if hands free calling is answered.

Thanks guys.

Let's hear from the extroverts

Well that's good to know. Maybe I can chatter away.

Let's hear from the extroverts

Hahahahha. I talk on the.phone. some companies do not allow that. I alsonlisten to Pandora. But if you hang out at your terminal and meet people get numbers and soon you will chatting while both are driving....it passes the time and will.keep you awake. To new drivers though it can be a bad distraction.

I don't think Swift will allow talking on the phone. That would be great if they did.

Game in honor of Rainy--City populations that you've seen

In AR one town had 79 but tons of flea markets with oarkingnfor a few hundred cars. There were more parking spaces than people. Lol

Rainy I think that town is close to me.

Let's hear from the extroverts

I have read that a lot If drivers are introverts and enjoy the solitude while driving. I myself am very extroverted. I love to be around people. I also have a severe case if ADHD.

I have traveled the interstate highways quite extensively in construction and familiar with the solitude, but it has never been day in and day out. Usually drive 300-1000 miles tons job work a few weeks then head to another.

These are the only 2 issues I see from blocking me from being successful. I have used audio books in the past to help while away the hours, just wondering how other extrovert type A personalities handle the solitude.

How Old is too old to start as a truck driver?

I will be 50 on Wednesday and looking forward to my new adventure. If I can preform in the construction industry at my age I know driving a truck won't be that difficult, or at least physically.

My recruiter called me

So do plan to stay OTR for the year. In that case, you'll have a smooth drive.

See you in Memphis!

WHether I stay at Swift of not I will stay the requisite year that has been my plan all along. I am setting it up for May 15. The wife and I were just talking about it and I am way more excited than I should be. lol.

My recruiter called me

My Swift recruiter called me this evening. Surprised me since it is Sunday. I have a couple forms to fill out and since I am a veteran it looks like my academy is going to be covered by Swift! YAY

Looking at company sponsored schools

Bolt asks:

So is class in Memphis Monday through Friday? What happens on the weekend, are you able to go to the range and practice or just hang out in the hotel?

Nothing happens on weekends. Hang out at the hotel. Find a way to Beale St. (Home of the Blues) or head south to Tunica casinos. School here is M-F.

No practice without an instructor present. When I was in that school, an instructor did come out on a Saturday to allow practice.

I'm probably going to drive my truck......or ride the scooter. I may just head home on the weekends then.

Looking at company sponsored schools

STAY AWAY from the idiots and losers, there will be some in your class. Pick 1 or 2 people that are taking school SERIOUSLY, and work together!

I want to agree with this and emphasize it a little bit. Probably 1/4 of the class will be sent home within the first few days because of issues with their application, paperwork, physical, or drug screen. But more will be sent home after that for just having a really poor attitude. To me it's unimaginable that you wouldn't take it seriously and give it everything you've got if someone offers to invest in you by training you for a new career and then hiring you afterward. But it's not at all uncommon to find some students who are lazy, cynical, know-it-alls, or just plain hard to get along with.

So find a couple people that are optimistic, humble, and hardworking and work together to get through it. Ignore the rest of them completely. You'll hear all sorts of rumors and stories and heresy and conspiracy theories. Just keep your nose in your books, your butt in the seat, and focus on learning your new trade.

And be friendly.

smile.gif

Based on my almost 2 years of lurking, occasional posting, and reading on this site that was my plan. Brett, the moderators, and other experienced drivers that contribute regularly on here have influenced many of my thought patterns and ideas. Even my opinion of companies like Swift have changed. Thanks much guys.

Looking at company sponsored schools

Glenn, here two things that are different between USMC boot camp and Swift Academy: the Academy doesn't start till 6am (not 0200), and you don't have to eat SOS*.

rofl-2.gif

The school facilities are rather new - about a year old. I believe the hotel you stay at is a few miles away. The school has their own bus to get you from hotel to class. Burger King across the street, and the Swift Terminal has a restaurant of its own.

* (For non-Vets: It's a military breakfast classic. Served on toast.)

Is the day of the standard transmission gone?

Thanks for the insight guys. I know the major carriers are moving towards autos and thats what bothers me. As someone that is jsut getting into the industry I was looking forward to learning and driving 10's and 13's. I know I will train on standards. but my daily driver once going solo will more than likely be an auto. I plan on sticking with my chosen major carrier (Swift) for quite some time, but do hope that a 10 or 13 is in my future beyond school and training.