Comments By KaSandra

https://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y310/kapjamilamalia/image%2016_zpsueklxyer.jpeg avatar
  • KaSandra
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 years ago

Help!

With my current job I drive an hour to and fro....I do what I need to :)

But your current job is probably 8hrs/day, right? A local driver is probably about 12hrs/day.

I musta missed this..A long day is fine:) Im usually up at the LATEST by 4am...just dont wanna be gone every night ....or again, for weeks...

Help!

... 50 miles depending on the route could take upwards of an hour. After a 12+ hour day that is the last thing anyone wants to end the day with, or begin the next day with. A real grind. In addition local work can be challenging for a new driver fresh off the mentor's truck. Could be a tough situation.

KaSandra will need to research this further.

10-14hr days. It is very tough. I've done it for a year and it's taken its toll. On the other hand, I have experienced some of the joys of earning a nice paycheck that's all mine.

KaSandra, you have my support and I wish you the best. I hear ya. Gotta' do what you gotta' do. I am a veteran and a 1-year driver and this is a tough profession. My second year has to be better than the first. Find a local P&D company. Some of them even have you work on the dock and train at the same time. If you go over the road, your half-grown kiddos won't have you around much. (A few days a month) You will be gone plenty, even locally.

Send me a personal email if you want to, no problem.

-mountain girl

smile.gif

wow..I needed this...:)...I am real determined to do this..My kids know Mom has to survive and they support me fully ..but I just am tryna not leave them ..well, as little as possible, but I know my hours will be long..just dont wanna be gone for weeks..I FULLY understand about sacrifices in life ..That's why I have GREAT kids cause I sacrificed myself for their well being along the way (no regrets!:) and well I need to do this for ME now..which benefits them long term...I do not mind putting this out here...We all have stories :)....Thank you Mountain girl...I will definitely be in touch!~KaSandra

Help!

Don wrote:

Will Swift set up a new driver in a local driving position, or do they require over the road to get experience? I don't know, but if daily home time is a requirement to care for children, better research that first...

Welcome Don. Looking forward to reading your posts and replies.

Depending on the circumstance I think Swift will hire a "newbie" local driver if within a 50 mile drive of a terminal with local work, but only after completing the 200 hour mentoring/training phase. With that said, 50 miles depending on the route could take upwards of an hour. After a 12+ hour day that is the last thing anyone wants to end the day with, or begin the next day with. A real grind. In addition local work can be challenging for a new driver fresh off the mentor's truck. Could be a tough situation.

KaSandra will need to research this further.

With my current job I drive an hour to and fro....I do what I need to :)

Help!

KaSandra, are you getting ready to attend an Independent Truck Driving School that you're paying for out of pocket? Because you can certainly save having to spend the money up front by going to a Company-Sponsored Training Program as others have mentioned about Swift and Prime and about a dozen other companies. Either type of training can be an equally good way to get your career started, it's just a matter of picking the type of schooling that fits your situation the best.

I have minor children (NOT toddlers-youngest are teens but they still need me) so can't stay away for weeks..Would I have to with Company sponsored?? thats what I've been told??.With a school I feel like I have more options where/what I will drive..This school is local and local companies looking to hire......PLEASE no negative if you respond...I got a lot going on but this is the road I feel I should be on..and I really need to be able to stand on my own two small feet! lol?..I am an optimist/realist...it's a balance I take serious..Thank you..KaSandra

Help!

I went to prime in sept. They advance pay for your bus ticket to MO, pay for your hotel and meals for the first week. Once you get on the truck with a trainer, they advance you $200 per week for meals. After a few weeks, they take you back to MO for the behind the wheel. Once you pass the test and get your CDL you immediately start getting paid $700 per week while you are with a trainer. When you acquire 30,000 during that phase, you go back to MO to upgrade for your own truck, at which time you will get paid per mile.

I truly love the company.. have met some awesome people. All companies have good and bad, so dont let any bumps put you off.

Great information!...I'm realizing there are some good companies out there with some pretty great programs...:0 )- I think the name of the game is just to keep persevering..I'm up studying for my permit at 4am.. ...I'm an early riser anyways so the trucker schedule works for me personally:)..Not sure what THAT has to do with anything..:)-again, it's early...dancing-banana.gif KaSandra

Help!

Thank you all for the info...I truly appreciate the support of this forum:)..Since I posted this 4 ish hours ago my mind has been ALL over....BUT my initial first reaction and gut feeling is to stay with goin to the school I chose...I may have to couch surf or stay at a shelter to do so...I've been what they call the "working poor" for a while.. ..and this is my chance to get out of that...I can do it...Anyways, Onward...KaSandra ** Feel free to give any suggestions....No negative meant here..life happens sometimes..boy, it's kicking me in the A** lately..C est' la vie :)

Help!

Most sponsored training schools at the bigger companies will pay for housing, meals and a weekly allowance. I believe Prime Inc pays the most during training at 700 a week but don't quote me on that. There's plenty of info here on TT to look into. I considered sponsored my self but decided to go to a local school so I'd have more options once I have my cdl.

I'd love to go to school but without being too dramatic here kinda close to not having a place to stay..and I will leave it at that..

Help!

Please give me the honest truth about company trucking schools....I was gonna do a school but need to earn money while working...uggg...I'm personally struggling ....KaSandra

Air Brake Endorsement?

To get a cdl (a or b) you need to pass the general knowledge, combination vehicles, and air brakes tests at the dmv, plus do the practical parts, yard skills (backing), pre trip and road driving with a state inspector. Those 6 things are the minimum required to get a cdl. Hazmat is an endorsement that you may or may not need depending what you want to haul. Other endorsements are tanker, doubles/triples, and passenger. Most times to get hazmat you must also pass tanker, since most hazardous materials are in tanks. But to answer your question, yes you need air brake endorsement to get your cdl.

Phil

I know, I know....lol...I'm studying....Thank you!~ ** Hazmat will probably NOT be my thing..but who knows...KaSandra

Air Brake Endorsement?

Thank you all..:) I AM doing the air brake section here (high road prep) . I had already started reading a little even when I asked about it here on this forum.. Just was checking with you experienced drivers..I'm just taking it slow now to try to make sure I understand...If I'm Gonna take these exams/get endorsements I wanna "get" what I'm learning...dancing-banana.gif

Air Brake Endorsement?

I want to know honestly: Do I NEED to get my air brake endorsement to get a trucking job ? I DO wanna eventually get it but I just wanna get started in school..So right now I want the basics..I don't wanna know about it benefiting me long term job wise..I get that:) ..But do MOST (or few) trucks have air brakes?? The only endorsement I'm not doin for now is hazmat...and maybe air brakes depending on what anyone tells me.. I DO wanna have the air brake endorsement and can take it after I start school..Hope this makes sense..NOT cutting corners...Just pacing myself..KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

High Road Training/ My BRAIN hurtsssss!! ;)

Sounds like your on the right path to be successful in getting your CDL. One thing I learned which most probably had it down by 5th grade lol, that is that its a lot easier to learn something and retain it then to try and just remember the stuff. I did that all through school until I went to a community college at the age of 40. My professor was the one that brought that to my attention. I was struggling and at some points I felt like my brain was on over load. So instead of memorizing I took the time and started learning the material that was given to me. To me thats how Brett has this CDL training set up, to learn and retain instead of memorizing. If you take time to learn and retain its alot better on the brain. One thing I have learned as I am studying the info here and taking the quizes is not to study till my brain feels over loaded. I study till I feel like a good walk would do me good. Another thing I do and to some it might sound odd but I went to Walmart and bought a big rig with trailer that the hood opens and I can see every part that I need to know, and believe it or not that little truck will teach one more then what ya think. Anyways have fun with studying and this site is the one site that will help you become successful in your quest to become a Professional Freight Relocator. Happy New Years...

wow..thank you for the encouragement.:) .I'm pretty much winging it on my own right now. I do agree with you about not just memorizing but learning. If I don't understand something I go back over it. And yeah, I study until I feel like I need some sort of break..or until I notice smoke coming outta my ears,lol.. I might honestly check into that truck thing at Walmart. Thank you again~ KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Studying my B.U.T.T Off for CDL/endorsements!! ..Looking for Cali Info-Fees/Exam..

Crap. lol... TY still:)..helps me plan this all out...~KaSandra

Here is link to our DMV for costs: CA License Fees

ty:)..I saw this link before but my question is this-Is it 70.00 ish for the Class A and then 42.00 PER other endorsement?? ..

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Hey All, I'm studying and HOPING to take CDL test with endorsements next week (cept Haz..for now....don't wanna deal with it and not sure if interested tho Im pretty familiaru> cuz someone close to me does it for a living ) . I've tried to look this up but: what is the TOTAL for what I'm trying to accomplish-?..The basic Class A and 6 endorsements?? I just want the close as possible ballpark figure $$ and cannot find it exactly. AND in your humble opinion is the exam (exams) difficult?? I'm studying pretty hard and surprisingly retaining much..Can I get any California responses if you're out there? Anyone welcome and appreciated:) Just wondered if the fees here are more?? Thank you for any input!!~~KaSandra thank-you-2.gif

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

High Road Training/ My BRAIN hurtsssss!! ;)

Thank you for the replies...:) I am doing 5 pages at the beginning of the day and then 5 at the end. I broke it down to approx what I need to do each day to take my permit test hopefully next week..I may go thru it a second time meaning go thru the quizzes a second time before I take exam...~KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

High Road Training/ My BRAIN hurtsssss!! ;)

Hi All:) UGGGGG..doin the High Road Training Program..Good stuff!! Thankful for it for sure...My POOR brain! lol....Hoping to take the exam to get permit approx. January 4...So I'm pacing myself. It's a LOT to take in but wanna make sure I understand what I read . I'm NO mechanic tho. THis is hard for me cause I am more of a hands on learner! I can do it tho!! Thankful for the experiences I read about here ..Good to see there are others like me..starting over thank-you-2.gif Not watching my grammar whatsoever here... dancing-dog.gif ..Good luck to everyone no matter where you are in your journey..KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

W.I.A. ~ How long Does process take?? Do they reimburse?? Info if you got it! :)

Sorry I'm late to the party here but we have a ton of Information About The WIA (Workforce Investment Act) Program so have a look at that.

I look at the WIA info...Seems it's REAL slim chance I can qualify from what I understand...and I don't wanna go thru all that ..I'm not lazy or impatient..like I said I have a little bit of a time frame personally..I am currently studying your CDL permit course and it's awesome..Thank you for this resource! **Fashionably late to a party is perfect! ~ Thanks All!~ KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Thank you all SO much!..I will take this all in and maybe reply to some...or go from here...My first response tho is that I do not really have time to go thru the WIA process....My Mom might be able to help ...I feel determined...I can do this..somehow....:) !~KaSandra

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Real quick-I'm on a little bit of a time frame ..I'm studying for my CDL permit. I found a truck driving training company locally I'm wanting to start with asap (after I get permit)~ A couple things. I'm working but was a homemaker for decades and need help getting on my feet long term (current job WON'T do this for me) since my kids are older and I'm single (no other income) . I'm thinking of putting the first part payment of school on credit card and checking into WIA and seeing if they can help..I woulda checked it out already but just found out it's possible..Anybody have any insight into how long that process takes (qualifying,paperwork,etc) and what is needed for process..and would they reimburse initial truck school payment (that I put on CC) I need to start school? ..I DO have to start so waiting is not an option..and I really like this school...:) so wanna go there...It will fit with my schedule etc...Only positive replies Please!! Reality is fine but I have MUCH goin on so keep it a bit light if possible :)..Thank you for ANY help!!~I'm excited and have been thinking of driving for a while...thank-you-2.gif ~ KaSandra