Comments By Charlie Mac

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/charlie-mac.jpg avatar

Reefer is more night driving?

around 2-5am or so is when I was the most tired. Once the sun began coming up it was good though.

I agree 100%. I was running reefer during training & did tons of night driving. There's something about 4am driving that my biological clock didn't like. I found myself pulling over and walking around very frequently.

Once the sun came up, I was golden. (see what I did there?) 😁

#Upgrade...ah yeah!

I upgraded in Rochelle, IL but my truck is in Manteno, right outside of Kankakee.

As Errol noted, the test is fairly straightforward. 57 questions... you can miss up to 12 and still pass. Just pay attention to your Macros & you'll do fine.

(specifically the "directions to shipper") as the rest are listed on the test, but you'll have to recall that one from memory.

Offset Backing is Killing Me

Blue Hotel Is working hard on a post:

Hopefully nobody beat me to this, I've been working on this post for 40 minutes or so.

When I do a long post like yours, when I'm done, I "select all", copy, then reload the page to see if anything new is there.

Then add a reply box, paste my stuff back in, make any changes then post it!

I know: all that work and after you Post, find another person has answered already!

Genius! I knew you were a mod for merit (aside from being an awesome Swiftie...of course). Hope I run into you some day in Memphis. 👍

#Upgrade...ah yeah!

Well, its been an eventful month. Buffalo to Sacramento & everywhere in between. Rockies, Alleghenies, Smokie's & Donner's Pass. Blowouts, shipper delays, 230am parking & countless truck stop showers later... here I am. I passed my written upgrade & road test.

I'm now a full fledged Rookie solo driver! The terminal I upgraded at is (litetally) in the middle of no where, but they are the nicest folks!

Well, I don't mean to drone on. Just wanted to share my success with the group who has been such an integral part or my success!

Thank you everyone who has played a role in my journey and gave me invaluable advice & encouragement in my darkest hours....from the bottom of my heart.

Stay safe.

One of "those" days...

Just walked to the office to see what the hold up is...they've been reworking that truck in the 1st dock this whole time thinking it was me! I don't know wether to laugh or cry. 😶

One of "those" days...

Show up to shipper, check-in, got the trailer #, can't find it anywhere in the yard. Go back to office, trailer number is confirmed. Go back out to yard. Finally find the trailer...except it's not my companies trailer. They loaded it into the wrong box. No biggie. Go back to office, they say they'll switch it right away.

Go grab some food & come back. Trailer's switched (sweet!). It's loaded to the gills (and a railroad trailer...those suckers are heavier) so I just know I'm gonna have to move the tandems...they won't budge. Buttons depressed, pins released but these things just REFUSE to slide. I hope for the best & head to the scale anyway...(20 miles away).

Get to scale, hit the button, "1st wiegh" blah blah. Just about to go in when a passer-by says "hey man...one of your wheels isn't on the scale". Crap. Fix it, re-wiegh & go in for the ticket. Load is 100lbs over GVWR. 80,100lbs! Tandems won't fix that 😝

Drive 20 miles back to shipper (it's dark now & raining cats & dogs... so can't use the Jake brake (with the heaviest load by far I've had to date), guy appologizes & tells me "put it in dock 137, we'll get right on it". Go out to the yard...find dock 137. There's a truck docked in it! Go back to office, get another appology. Get a new dock. Finagle it into this tiny little hole with yard jockeys flying all around me at kami-kaze speeds & sit.

That was 2 hours ago & the dock light is STILL green! Whenever they decide to finally rework the load I still have to go back to the scales & figure out what to do about these frozen tandems. Will this day ever end? Gah...

My first bad rookie story

Thanks G-Town! I'm in my later half of training & am more comfortable discussing my concerns than I was when I first got on the truck.

My first bad rookie story

I'm rolling with my Swift trainer right now. He's had me bust multiple U-turns...although he's a L/O so no cams.

I've been in situations where it's just necessary to do so...like in the middle of backwoods upstate NY and the QC signal completely dropped. Luckily he has a Rand MCNally unit too (with much better reception).

My first order of business when I upgrade...getting another GPS device with my fuel points. I've lost QC signal on at least 3 deliveries this far.

I'm now a CDL A holder!!

Woot-Woot! Get that $ girl. dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Husband and Wife to start April 11 with Driver Solutions/PAM

Swift is pretty cool. Been with them for nearly 3 weeks & can't find anything negative to say. My mentor is a solid dude & I'm loving life OTR.

Is Walter still lurking around with that grumpy look on his face? 😂

Tractor Man is no longer UNEMPLOYED!

Congrats! My mentor is on home time atm so I'm next to the Memphis terminal hanging out @ a hotel for the holiday weekend. My wife's driving down from Indy. I didn't think I'd get to spend time with her for quite awhile so it's gonna be awesome to see her.

Anyways...welcome to Swift! 👍

Celebrating my graduation today!!

Woo-hoo! Catch you on the road Flattie. 👍

dancing.gif

CDL Defender

I (like you) am with the same company that offered thid program @ the rate you mentioned.

There are other services that you can purchase on an "as needed" basis, so I declined. This (for example) was an add I saw @ a welcome center I stopped by as I was rolling down the interstate in NY.

***I am not affiliated with, endorse or can offer any opinion of this service...just sharing as it's relevant to the conversation.

20160519_135358.jpg

Help get trucking off my mind!

Lobotomy maybe?

He wants to get it off his mind, not take his mind out. rofl-2.gif

Pump Safety *Warning Graphic*

Nice road rash!

It's all good though. Chick's dig scars. :-)

I see you're a "glass half full" kinda guy. I like it! rofl-3.gif

Pump Safety *Warning Graphic*

Was late last night & the fuel needle was on "E". I had searched for a truck stop at slightly under a quarter tank, the closest one enroute was +150 miles. I was literally coasting the last 3 miles to the Flying J.

Due to weight, we typically don't fill both fuel tanks...but our current load is only around 40k with +2000 miles left till the drop, so I went around to the passenger side & filled that tank as well.

I was tired & I'm a pretty tall guy (6'3"). I was admittedly being lazy & didn't want to walk all the way around the trailer to unhook the pump...so I was just gonna step over the hose.

In my reduced state of awareness I must not have pulled my left foot up high enough & the next thing I know I'm laying on the ground. Needless to say I was completely alert at that point... albeit to late. I'm lucky I only scraped my elbow & knew instead of knocking out my teeth.

Please, Stay alert of your surroundings at all times, even while not driving.

20160523_210519.jpg

Help get trucking off my mind!

I had the itch, and a good job, insurance & benifits, family with young children. The itch won.

I miss my daughter & wife, but I knew deep inside that if I didn't come out here and do this...I (without a doubt) would have regretted it until the end of my days.

Private Messaging

The feature has been suspended. If you want to get in touch with someone specific... you can always make a public post addressing them in the subject line.

-Charlie Mac

Tailgaters

Try driving in CA every single day, we have some special dummies here with their equally dummy Prius's.

I drove through Cali for the first time today & must agree. I was on I-5 coming off of 80 and multiple times I only knew I was being tailgated because I could see the shadows.

Trucks are state mandated to 55mph or less (with 30 miles of non-stop steep downgrades coming from I-80 via Reno Nevada) ...come on people!

Breakdown

If anyone's interested, I took a picture of this wicked blowout but forgot to post as I was stressing about my 14.semi truck tire rim blowout