Profile For BQ

BQ 's Info

Experienced Driver

2 years, 5 months ago

BQ 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

CDL and felony distribution charge from over 16 years ago

While it is very true that there are plenty of companies willing to work around many criminal backgrounds, especially after a few years of "clean" living, it may prove difficult with this particular crime. There tends to be fear of utilizing your job/equipment to transfer drugs from place to place. I do wish you luck and hope it works out.

Posted:  6 months ago

OMGosh. Just Received Driver Of The Month Award!

Attitude is EVERYTHING in this business and it will make or break you as a driver. It's all about perception. Is your glass half empty or half full?

Congrats on the award but forget half empty/full, some folks need to learn to be thankful they just have a glass to fill.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Quit before 1 year is up?

OP... Your husbands dispatcher is certainly lying about switching over to company. The leases are "walk away," meaning he could break it and not have credit consequences. He will owe any money for payments or damage that is not current at time of termination but nothing further. After breaking contract, if he is a solid driver, Prime would certainly rather take him on the company side than watch him join another company. As far as pregnancy complications, I wish you guys the best of luck and as many have stated, communicating with company early and often is incredibly important.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Who's Making it Home for Thanksgiving?

Nopers on being home for thanksgiving, I don't take time off while training a student, only between students every 3 months or so, barring emergency, which a holiday certainly does not constitute. I did get myself and student our own hotel rooms last night and had quite a feast at nearby restaurant doing the buffet deal. He was quite thankful and we are now being unloaded at a WMDC in Oklahoma.

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Prime inc Flatbed trainer

They used to allow trainers to meet/select random students, that's how I got mine when coming thru. We happened to meet on pad the first Friday, he liked what he saw, we thought would be decent fit, went to dispatch to be placed on his truck and rolled out first thing Sat morning. Got along fine and stuck together thru entire process. They would aslo try linking randomly when needed. They have since integrated a "matching" system, which utilizes a personality test that incoming students take and I, like all instructors take when going thru trainers course. I am just starting 2nd student, took both of the first match, 1st got along fine and 2nd is off to a solid start. There were "horror stories" the old way and they still exist now. The fact of the matter is, some trainers have no business training, some students just aren't built for this lifestyle or have no work ethic. The problems lie on both sides of the fence. General personality clashes do occur but if both can focus on the business at hand and leave personal differences at the door, they shouldn't matter.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Night Driving tips

Most importantly, an adjustment to your sleep schedule for day sleep will be necessary. Driving linehaul, you likely won't have time to nap during shift and personally I'm not a fan of the idea of talking on phone while driving, hands free or not, it still takes attention from the road and what's happening around you. Aside from appropriate rest before shift, I have found hard candy, such as jolly ranchers to be terrific when getting a bit tired, as well as pumping the radio and rolling down window for fresh air.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Logging While Being (Un)Loaded

Wow, I am dumbfounded that there are companies who prevent their drivers from utilizing the split. My assumption for this is the confusion it seems to pose for some drivers for some reason, tho it's truly not very complicated.

Posted:  8 months ago

Produce Load Rejected By Receiver

If the temp you set reefer at varied from temp in BOL, you can absolutely be held responsible. Sometimes the company will give you a certain temp when heading to shipper, sometimes said temp doesn't match BOL after load is received, in such a case always alert dispatch of discrepancy. If they still want you to run at original temp, be sure they send a Qualcomm msg to that affect, this will take responsibility off you. Anytime you run something at temp different than BOL and not approved by company in writing, it is you on the hook if load is rejected. The company may or may not decide to retrieve damages.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Interstate distributor owner operator program

Again, my point is not about the issue of leasing versus not leasing. It's about chiding someone who offered advice to another person, because you think that advice is wrong. Nothing he said in his original reply was incorrect. Whether you like it or not.

If your opinion is different, then state your opinion. That is what the forum is for. You can do that without chiding someone for replying in a manner that you think was wrong. Contrary to popular belief, differing opinions are a good thing. Everyone here is an adult, and adults need to make their own decisions. Don't try to make the decision for someone. Help them by giving them relevant information. You can do that without blasting someone else's opinion. That is all I'm saying and I hope you'll take that to heart.

Thanks Chris, you seem to have gotten the point. At no point am I recommending the driver jump into any form of a lease. I did however simply recommend he do his due diligence in researching the idea and be sure to be ready to work hard and be very attentive to all responsibilities if chooses such a route. Some folks get what they want out of a post. No worries here.

Also, success is a subjective term, everyone may interpret it differently. Some folks feel successs in just getting out of bed every day, some by making it thru each day not in a box, some not until CEO at google, others at a mid level manegement position at McDonald's etc........

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Interstate distributor owner operator program

Hey sorry BQ, I could never in good conscience recommend something to someone (who doesn't know any better), that I myself would not do. Bottom line, if you are unable to prove the reward far outweighs the risk, it's plain foolish to lease through a carrier. You have yet to come up with anything tangible contrary to that...which again is the underlying problem with this model. .

For the record my suggestion still stands, if you haven't already, please read the link I sent the OP. If you are true to your word about wanting to continue learning, reading that thread will only add to your knowledge base...and also the below reply in another thread, something Robert wrote in response to a newbie desiring to lease...timely and relevant...his numbers do not lie.

You called it OS lol. I am leasing and will gladly tell the vast majority, especially a brand new driver not to do it for the reasons I already mentioned. Now I'm sure people would like to know why I chose to do so. For one, I'm crazy. It's probably up for debate but I'll admit it. Seriously though, the reason I did was because I had all the numbers in front of me before I made the commitment. My truck is a 2016 Freightliner Coronado that had just under 50k on it when I got it. The total cost of the truck including all of my securement equipment and tarps will be $139,600. It's a Glider so it's not California compliant but it won't have many of the issues that plague newer trucks. I used to build trucks for several years for Freightliner and was both CAT and Cummins certified so the vast majority of repairs, I can do myself. (It still has 2 years of remaining factory warranty). The company I'm with runs a rate of a minimum $2 a mile to the truck and we don't do much deadhead with many loads more than that rate. The load I'm picking up today and running to Colorado for Thursday delivery is $3.90 a mile to the truck so the numbers do work out to where I can make money. Now, compare that to the vast majority of big company leases where they're lucky to get $1.35-$1.50 a mile and paying much much more and you can definitely see why folks need to run, not walk away from those leases. I too have experience in business and still own a working body shop that has been in business since 1997. So between my vehicular knowledge and a very good portion of my life (starting at 16) in and around trucks and the industry, I do have an advantage over a person who is brand new and will gladly say,,,,, Stay company.

I am well aware reading comprehension is not a requirement in truck driving, but at no point did I recommend the O/P to do anything but THOUROUGHLY RESEARCH HIS INTERESTS AND MAKE SURE HE IS WILLING TO PUT IN THE WORK NECESSARY BEFORE MAKING ANY DECISIONS. Some folks find the risk worthwhile and are successful, others fall flat on their face and don't receive an actual check for weeks. There are also many miserable company drivers who believe there is no money at all in this business. Most of which are lazy, full of excuses and completely lacking in personal responsibility, expecting a pat on the back for a successful pretrip. I am aware L/O is not a popular decision, particularly on this site, which is extremely helpful to new drivers, including myself at one time. I don't recommend anybody do anything without understanding what they are against but life isn't about the cards your dealt, but how you play your hand. To insinuate there are no successful L/O's anywhere is not true, the same way insinuating most or all are successful is not true. I am done with this nonsensical back and forth. To the O/P, again, make sure you fully research any lease and are willing to put in necessary work for success before signing anything. Success is possible, as is falling on your face.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Interstate distributor owner operator program

BQ wrote:

I don't know the exact figures for particular leasing programs but have come across drivers who are successful, some are not. You will find many on this site are strongly against it. If you are a business minded person and understand how to keep costs as low as possible (tracking fuel prices, driving in a manner to conserve said fuel, keep maintenance up and limiting preventable breakdowns (stuff happens but you can be proactive in prevention), keep record clean and insurance costs manageable, etc) and willing to put in work to keep income up it is possible to be a successful l/o or o/o. Some ppl aren't good with running a business, others excel. Every trucking company, big and small started somewhere and grew. It's certainly not impossible but make sure you do thourough research and are willing to put in work. Best of luck.

BQ...your reply is counter-intuitive to the facts.

Do you speak from first hand knowledge? Obviously not because you prefaced and qualified your response with I don't know. Correct...you don't know. That is all we really need to read and understand in your reply. Not knowing the exact figures is at the very crux of the issue and why we vehemently oppose lease operation as a means to increase earning potential. No one can prove leasing through a carrier is substantially more lucrative than being a top performing company driver. Honestly,...can you? How can you reply like you did and ignore the basic questions that need to be asked and answered when considering this? There are several people on this forum I trust implicitly...until the day comes that I see them seriously considering Lease Operation (L/O) through a company, and/or supporting it with credible math,...this will never cross my mind.

Robert (Dragon) accurately and honestly replied to the OP. Robert is an experienced Owner Operator, and knows first-hand what he is talking about. I trust the credibility and validity of his response and totally agree with him. He absolutely represents the truth when it comes to Leasing through a company. O/O and L/O are two entirely different models, not to be interchanged or confused. Although I have no idea who you have talked to; Lease Operation is heavily biased and contractually skewed in favor of the trucking company; passing most of the liability, most of the risk, and all of the operating cost onto the driver with only a marginal increase in mileage pay. The sales pitch typically tugs on the emotions of the prospect, conveniently side-stepping the true business benefits and increased risk. Ask one of the sales people for facts and figures and see how they respond..."we have one in your favorite color Mr. Driver, RED. Would you like to take a test drive?".

BQ unless you are currently a Lease Operator and can provide hard, fast, accurate income and operational numbers proving your point in support of the "drivers you have come across", then please try to understand the basis of my concern with your thought process. Offering anecdotal information like you did isn't helpful. It's confounding, and unnecessarily fuels the on-going debate.

I sincerely suggest you take the time to read the same link I sent the OP and perhaps your perspective might better align with reality.

I am not currently a lease operator, as I currently don't want the added responsibility or to take on commitment to fulfill said lease. If I were to start one, I would finish the full 3 year term and I am not currently willing to commit to saying I would stay at prime for 3 more years. My feet are firmly planted in reality, thanks for offer though. I speak to many drivers while at terminal, which is only when in for maintenance or p/u, dropoff or intermittent student issues (testing, p/u documents, etc) and have had chats with l/o's on their 2nd, 3rd.....so on successful, satisfied lease. I also have come across those that are not successful and the "terminal rat" breed. I am aware of the model and how it works, the "skew" in favor of the company. I simply told o/p in uncertain terms he is unlikely to find support here and to be sure to do research beforehand and follow it up with the necessary work and attention to be successful. I actually recommend to all new students I interact with to start company, if they feel later on a lease would be the right move, so be it. What may not work for one, fits another just fine, like life, this little career we call trucking is not one size fits all. For now, I am perfectly fine as a company driver with company driver/trainer responsibilities and commitment obligation. That doesn't mean I am not regularly learning about other avenues with possibilty of making changes if I feel they are warranted and time is right.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Need training and to be on both coasts

I currently work at prime. They have been a terrific company from my perspective thus far and you can take "hometime" anywhere you want or need to so don't let that hang you up. GO BILLS

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Interstate distributor owner operator program

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this TRUE about SWIFT?

As the old saying goes, "time is money"

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Is this TRUE about SWIFT?

While I agree that things such as breakdown, drop and detention pay are minor in the overall scheme of the trucking pay system, they are still a part and should be considered. If I am unable to make money turning miles for reasons beyond my control and can be compensated for it at one company and not another that is something to consider. As a prime driver if I am on time for an appt and customer takes more than 2 hrs beyond appt time to unload, I am paid for that time, I have been paid over $100 to basically take a 10 or split while truck next to me is in same boat, making nothing. All that is required is a simple stamp, with times filled out. As a matter of fact, my dispatcher sends regular fleet wide msgs noting the amount of detention time missed out on by drivers failing to do such a minor thing, costing drivers, himself and the company thousands of unpaid minutes on a near weekly basis. When truck goes into shop, I also can count on paid hotel and $100/day for missed time. Again there may be another driver with truck in same shop for same amount of time who got nothing. This money could cover a bill or at least be something for the time I am unable to spend rolling or am sacrificing away from home. In the grand scheme of what I make annually, these little bits aren't settimg me up for early retirement but to imply one should not take them into account is ludicrous to be honest. These smalll gestures by a company can be an indication of how a company overall values it's drivers and the sacrifices made as ee spend lsrge chunks away from home and loved ones. My time out here is valuable to me.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

Out of time

Likely to be alright as far as battery, however if have apu, it will charge battery while running or get up every few hrs and run truck for 10-15 min to be sure

Posted:  9 months ago

Is This for Drivers Nationwide?

Unless a State Government can implement Federal policy, which would be breaking news, this is only for those renewing license in State of Arkansas. Wouldn't be a horrible idea for other states or feds to follow suit. There are many things that are going on everyday in front of our eyes that most are completely blind to, a 30 min video shouldn't be too much of one's time if it can help them identify and help another from such horrible circumstances.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Green card +cdl =good or bad???

I would imagine if can pass drug test upon entering field and don't have signs of drug use history or related convictions, you should be fine. Weed is perfectly legal in Colorado, as long as feds don't come snooping, so said job is not much different than one in pharmaceuticals. Personally, I believe marijuana and its derivatives to be a much better option for many health issues than some of the current legal ones.. prescription pain meds are a major contributor to the heroin epidemic that currently grips every level of today's society. Best of luck to you.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

On the fence about staying, maybe not for me?

If you have to pull into a truck stop. Just pull through the fuel island and up to the yellow line. About 20 minutes from the time you pull off the interstate until you get back on.

Well I agree with most of what Big Scott said, this is one of the most annoying things some drivers do, particularly when pumps are busy. If not running in to grab fuel receipt and maybe something quick (beverage, already prepared food), find an actual parking spot. A driver may pull into fuel island and ready to roll in less than 10 mins (I don't lollygag when fueling, especially during drive hrs) and be annoyed, along with truck waiting behind him that they are being held up by a driver who didn't even fuel and is sitting in bathroom for 20 mins. Also, DO NOT take 30 in fuel island...

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

On the fence about staying, maybe not for me?

Sounds like you got yourself a ******bag of a trainer, who sees you more as a means to spin miles than an entry level driver he needs to bring up to speed with the several nuances of trucking.. as far as logging breaks, definitely not recommended while driving down road, regardless of traffic unless pull over to side, perfectly fine at receivers, waiting in line for fuel as long as the time it takes for actually fueling is logged within an hr of actual fuel time and for checking in/out of customers, applying loadlocks, handling paperwork, which can be lumped together into one block. I just went through trainers course myself and these were a few of the tidbits expressed by logs dept. For example, arrive for fuel but have line, go on duty for 8-11 mins to show fueling time, then go off until process of waiting, fueling, getting receipt and whatever else need from store is complete. When arrive at customer, log on duty for 7-10 min (few for ck in/out, few for docking and cpl for applying load locks), you can then go off duty until rolling again, unless you must be on dock during loading which should be logged on duty. If sitting in truck playing on phone, watching tv, etc there is absolutely no reason to be logged on duty. I also previously thought had to go on duty seperately for check in/out but that myth was pleasantly dispelled by our logs dept who explained all work at customer can be put into one block, thus providing an uninterrupted 30, split, 10 and on the rare occasion 34. Tough it out through tnt and the clouds will part when solo, if need be, talk to dispatch or training personnel about switching trainers, it will not be held against you.