Comments By ACO476

https://www.volvotrucks.us/-/media/vtna/images/shared/news-images/content-images/160322---volvo-trucks-unveils-new-logo.jpg?as=1&&la=en&hash=00F9931CDCE93357DC1834C3CDAE460B1273F682 avatar
  • ACO476
  • Comments:

Reefer help newbie

Your original question was about the product thawing out, which it won't. If you're worried about the temp, if it were me, I would follow what is on the BOL. If you're still not convinced, call the shipper to confirm and call the receiver to find out what they're expecting the temp to be when you arrive. Safest bet is to always follow the BOL. I've had dispatch tell me to change a temperature that was NOT what was on the BOL. I emailed my dispatcher a picture of the BOL and was promptly told to disregard their instruction and follow what the BOL instructions were. Hopefully that helps...

Reefer help newbie

20 is still below freezing, so no, it shouldn't thaw.

Accident Last Evening

Now l know for sure TX drivers are the worst drivers.

Agree 100%, and I’m a Texan as well.

Advice for a newb

What everyone else has said. I just wanted to thank you for your service. You picked a great career field to transition into. Stick with it and it will be one of the more rewarding things you'll ever do.

Why do so many people get booted out of trucking? This is why...

Brett, he's got to be referring to the special section in the Texas manual concerning farm equipment, lights, and reflectors.

Oops, just saw this. You are correct. Brett is also correct that it is an oddball section, but there were quite a few questions on my written test covering this section. Having said that, and more to the point of this thread, I'm glad I went way above and beyond by studying my paper manual, taking the high road training program, and reading advice on this site. People should be compelled to do everything they can to do/be the best that they can!

Why do so many people get booted out of trucking? This is why...

Really? Because the High Road is the CDL manual. It's not our version of it. It's the actual manual.

What information was it missing?

Texas chapter 14: Special requirements for Texas commercial motor vehicles was not in the high road training program. State specific, but might be worth adding as an option.

Regional home weekends Trainee?

Hello conservative back at it again! I saw an ad for celadon that offered regional routes and home weekends. I was wondering if they or any other company offered that to new students after training and if that would guarantee my being off Sundays . Wanted to give this trucking thing one last shot. Thanks!

Where are you located?

Swift

Orientation was three boring days of videos and typical pre-employment paperwork while waiting for drug tests to come back. Being with a mentor is going to vary from mentor to mentor. Basically lots of miles and lots of learning. What are your specific worries?

Why do so many people get booted out of trucking? This is why...

I first studied my states CMV handbook before starting the high road training program. I noticed that the high road training program was missing information that was in my states CMV handbook. I'm glad I took both seriously and passed all of my CMV tests first try. The girl at my local DMV was quite surprised at how well I did. Make sure you study both and take both very seriously.

For the life of me I can't understand why people don't want to be the very best at what they do, either in their professional lives or even in their personal lives. I'm sure they'll be the ones "just passing through" and won't last long in this profession.

15 years in a WAL-MART Central Receiving Office here

To answer your question about non-English speaking drivers; I'm almost positive that you can bring along a translator during your DMV written and driving test. I could be wrong though. I'll look up the law when I get a chance...

And I was wrong, concerning Texas anyway since that is where I obtained my CDL. Apparently you only need to be able to understand hand signals. Must be quite frightful for road testers!

15 years in a WAL-MART Central Receiving Office here

On the fence about staying, maybe not for me?

If you need to go, stop and have a bathroom break. If your trainer has an issue with normal stops every few hours, you need another trainer.

^^^This^^^

When you're running the truck, you're running the truck. Need a bathroom break? Stop and take one. Your trainer is there to train you and not to force you to forego natural bodily functions. Talk to him or her and if you can't work it out, get another trainer. Do t give up though.

Swift dry van vs. reefer

I intend to go with Swift for my first year and I'm curious - how often are either dry van or reefer on the west coast? Or west of the Mississippi in general? West of the Rockies?

I ask because I'd really love to see those areas, and I'll run reefer if it means seeing those places more often.

Also, can hometime be taken wherever you'd like, or must it always be taken in one specific place?

I only saw the east coast running reefer for Swift, except for the one time I got stuck in Sumner, Washington for a week with no freight going anywhere. I was never west of Ohio. Yes, you can take home time wherever you want. You request it by zip code.

How many and for how long?

Stayed at my first company for six months. Moved on to much, much greener pastures. Don't ever plan on leaving where I'm at now. Been driving for almost a year.

Dispatch wants me to take a 34 hr reset in a loading dock?!

Taking a 34 at a customer that allows it really isn't that different than taking a 34 at a truckstop, unless you are in dire need of doing laundry. I wish more customers allowed us to break on their property. Then again, I eat on the truck and hardly ever eat truckstop food. If I were you and if they allowed it, I would have done the 34 at the customer...

The Right Strategy For Earning More Miles And Better Pay

I think I just happened to be one of the few that slipped through the cracks. I talked repeatedly to my DM, multiple times to my fleet manager, a few times to my terminal manager, different departments, different fleets, and everyone in between. I was always told that they would work on getting me more miles, but it never happened. I don't think there was anything nefarious because I always felt that I had a great relationship with my DM. I think it was just a product of a really large company with tons of drivers always coming and going and possibly a very overworked driver manager. I don't hold any grudges and left on very good terms.

As a sidenote, once I pulled the trigger and decided to switch companies, I got really great miles for about a week and a half (I think this was because my potential new employer called for a reference and they knew I was getting ready to leave). By then it was just too late. By that point, I had almost completely depleted my savings account because that was what I was living on (bills and such).

At any rate Brett, this was a fantastic article that all new drivers should read and take to heart. If nothing else, do everything you can to keep a positive attitude.

The Right Strategy For Earning More Miles And Better Pay

Hey, we have a new article posted today called:

The Right Strategy For Earning More Miles And Better Pay

There is a long list of things you have to do if you want to be one of the top earners turning big miles. Trucking isn't an industry that treats everyone equally. You're going to have to earn those top miles. Most of the time they're not just going to hand you big miles consistently even if you are one of the safest, most reliable drivers.

This article covers all sorts of different tips and tricks for getting the most miles from dispatch consistently.

Enjoy!

Great article with solid advice on how to get better miles and better pay. I still have to point out that sometimes, no matter what you do, it's just not going to work out. If that happens, don't be afraid to move on. I tried all of those things with my previous company and still couldn't top 1,100 miles per week. I ended up moving on and did so in a professional manner (talked to my DM, gave official notice, sent a letter of resignation, set up a time and location to return my truck and trailer, CLEANED my truck inside and out, etc.). Now, I continue to do all of the things on this list at my current company and I can't hardly get a break longer than only 10 hours.

Here's my point: Do everything you can (especially what is on this list) to make things work. If you still can't turn your situation around, don't be afraid to leave, but make sure you do so in a respectful and professional manner. Burning bridges almost never benefits you in the long run.

What is a day off?

I leave work on Friday afternoon and return to work Monday morning. That's considered two days off. If I do a 34 reset, I consider that one day off.

My Swift Adventure Continues..... Orientation and Mentor Phase

Good luck Roadpilot! I remember how excited I was when I met my mentor and we pulled out first load. Then he told me to silence the Qualcomm and I got lost in downtown DFW. At night. It was a good learning experience though and I had a great mentor as well. If you like dry van, you might consider staying in that fleet. If you move from dry van to reefer, it is going to be a shock to what you've learned in dry van. My mentor was reefer and the fine folks in Phoenix begged me to pull reefer, which I did. I liked everything about reefer except the constant delays and sitting around. Also, you'll hardly ever have drop and hook loads.

At any rate, have as much fun and learn as much as you can now because once you upgrade, you'll be expected to perform.

Prime Reefer Division

I don't know if any company could reliably guarantee a certain minimum amount of miles per week. It all depends on the amount of freight available, your location in the country, how you manage your time, etc. I honestly don't know of any but that doesn't mean that someone out there would make that guarantee.