Comments By FairyTales

https://www.truckingtruth.com/cdn/images/peterbuilt-sunset.jpg avatar
  • FairyTales
  • Comments:

TransAm Orientation

Sitting here on the first day. Working on drug tests. I'm already getting nervous about the backing and road tests next week. Ugh I don't wanna be sent home. :(

Voming in with your CDL and no prior experience, you will spend 3 days at the terminal on their backing range as well as doing a very short driving test. The backing range is fairly easy, but listen carefully when they explain the course as it is pretty confusing at first. They really take the time to work with anyone who needs a little extra help.

Great job on your progress and keep up the good work!

Is this bag too big?

IMG_1129.jpg

Okay, SO Thank you to EVERYONE! I'm so nervous! 1.5 days and counting till I'm on that big bus to see toto! Ugh! I Went to buy sheets today and ended up only buying a flat sheet. Whomp Whomp.

This is what I'm bringing. Top bag is my computer crap. ( I can't live without it), Pillow, blanket, sheet, clothes and everything else my dainty ass needs. Ignore the towel to the right, already got one packed and Sorry guys... no cookies this time. lol Yay or Nay?

Is this bag too big?

So IF this posts correctly, you should be able to see the photo. If not... someone delete the post please. I used a direct link from Facebook cause Photobucket has been down.

Is this bag too big?

Are the bed twin or twin XL? I'm not sure what to buy

Good luck! I check up on TT a couple times a day so if you have any questions I'll be happy to answer them!

Tell Mike that Amber/Ashley said hi! He will get it!

Remember, don't get too stressed out by the range testing. You will have plenty of time to practice and they will help you if you need it.

Is this bag too big?

Awesome! Thanks guys! I set off on Monday at 12:55pm and arrive 11:55am Tuesday. ugh. Long bus ride. But at least I'll have most of the day Tuesday to relax and explore.

Is this bag too big?

Yeah, I'm not to concerned with Greyhound. I just don't wanna "take over" someone else's truck, but with all the stuff they want you to bring. I feel like it's inevitable.

Greyhound has its own baggage rules. As for being on a truck, if you can't find a place for your stuff, you can always keep it on your bunk.

Is this bag too big?

I'm heading out to Olathe, KS to train with TransAm. I've read the list they gave for stuff to bring. I've packed as light as I can, but still don't have enough room. I'm just worried about my other bag being TO big. So is this bag to big? IMG_1117.jpgFullSizeRender%2056.jpg

Have a serious question...

I haven't figured out a way to contact people individually yet. How are your miles going? steady? how many? I'm going to Kansas on Monday! :)

I already have my CDL. I got a WIA grant and went to private school. I don't owe anything. I have a back up option in mind and I don't think I will have a problem getting on with them. My driving record is nearly perfect and I have no criminal background so no strikes against me.

My biggest problem here is the training time. You only get 11 days on the road with a trainer. Now that I'm here and back in a truck, I'm seeing that this is definitely not good for me. I need time to work through things and get somewhat comfortable with what I'm doing before getting thrown out on my own. There's no option of asking for more time either.

Secondary to this is the pay. The company is significantly lower than every other company out there. And I keep hearing that company drivers don't get the best miles with them. So it's not working out financially for me. I could stay at home and work another factory job and be home every night and make nearly the same amount of pay.

I have no interest in leasing and I don't like feeling like I'm being told that the only way I'm gonna make any money is by leasing.

Company Policy Regarding Difficult Backing Situations

I'm just gonna be like "Hey, here's $10-$20 bucks, will you back this up for me?" haha

I pull thw helpless female card.. "I'm really new... can you give me an easier door pllllleeeeaaasssseee" usually if I take too long trying to get in the door a really nice guy... ot one who can't get past me... we spot me lol

What did you do before becoming a truck driver?

I was a Cosmetologist for almost 10 years. haha From hair to trucking. Talk about a life style change.

Have a serious question...

I really should read the ENTIRE post before commenting. haha, and if there is a way to tag Brett, can you add a way to edit or delete your own posts? lol

Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice!

Old school you are so right! I didn't get to where I am by being a scaredy cat. I got here because I've got determination, strength and a little bit of tiger in me! I get to doubting myself and I am my own worst enemy.

So in light of everything that's been said, and with the support of my amazing husband, I have decided to stick this out and see it through. I had to dig deep and pull out my inner Chickie Monster but I know I can do this!

Have a serious question...

Hey girl, this wasn't TransAm was it?

So a small hotel bill in exchange for a company that will pay at least 5 grand more annually. Sounds like that hotel bill would be worth paying yourself.

My thoughts exactly. It makes more sense in the long run. I had a gut feeling from day one of orientation that this wasn't the right place for me and I wish now I had listened to it sooner. After a long conversation with my husband tonight I've decided to go ahead and leave tomorrow and start over. I still have some unemployment left to get me through but I hope to be in with my back up company as quick as possible.

I'm not the one to trash talk or bad mouth a company. And I don't have any reason to tell someone not to go with TransAm. Their equipment is amazing ( although I've discovered I don't really like the Kenworths. I've found myself missing the old beat up Freightshaker I drove in school!) and the perks are there. It's simply not the right fit for me personally.

TransAm Olathe, KS

My school I went to Sage, we used 48 foot trailers, what did anybody here use? How much of a learning curve is it to pull a 53 footer? I was a little peeved about using 48 footers.

Don't forget sunglasses and sunscreen if you burn easily! You will be outside in the sun for two to three days. Also a poncho or rain gear just in case. They don't stop training if it's raining.

Enough clothes for a week and some laundry soap. There is laundry facilities at the hotel but it's cheaper to do it at the terminal.

Snacks for the road and in the hotel.

Blankets or sleeping bag and a pillow.

I wouldn't suggest bringing a laptop as they can be a little bulky to store.

Bring some money for groceries and drinks. There is an atm at the terminal if you need it.

You will be spending the weekend in the hotel. You are right outside KC. I know several people from my class got an Uber and went into the city over the weekend.

CDL skills testing requirements

Same with Florida, once you pass one section, you are done with it.

Hi! I'm attending a month long CDL course and am almost finished! I test in a week! Here's my question....one of my fellow classmates took her CDL test this morning and did awesome with pre-trip, and range skills testing, but failed the driving portion. Why does she have to re-take everything and not just the driving portion? I was told it is this way nationally....any thoughts?

TransAm Olathe, KS

You are SO AWSOME! My friend lives at the base near there, so maybe I'll go see him during the weekend. I can't wait to get my truck and make it my own. Preferably gonna put a tempurpedic in there. lol

Snacks for the road and in the hotel.

Blankets or sleeping bag and a pillow.

I wouldn't suggest bringing a laptop as they can be a little bulky to store.

TransAm Olathe, KS

I have. :) She's awesome, but somethings I asked weren't covered in those posts.

Look at ChickieMonsters thread in training diaries.

TransAm Olathe, KS

So I figured I would start a new topic about the Training location for TransAm in Olathe, KS. If there is already one, I'm sorry. I called the company today and they were going to send me to their TX location, but I have researched over and over but can't find many talks about that location, but I have read plenty of reviews about their Olathe location, so she agreed, she would get to the KS if I wanted. For anybody reading this, what was your experience with the Olathe, KS location, what was your experience with the TX location? Things I should expect, from training to driving, how are the trainers? things I should bring, things I should probably leave at home, etc... I am really excited to start with TransAm, so I wanna be prepared the best I can so I can give everything my 110%

Finished School! Now Chapter 2!

So I just got off the phone with TranAm, and they said they can send me to KS if want to. So I'm pretty much leaning to go there. I've heard good things from that location.

The testing is a driving course followed by several backing exercises. You have plenty of time to practice the course and they will spend extra time with you if you need it. There is also a very short (15-20) road test through Olathe. They take 2 students at a time and I would definitely suggest being the first student of the 2 to drive as there is a tough turn in the second half. Watch your mirrors on the turns and make sure you call out all the road signs.

I go into a lot more detail in the thread on orientation.

A word of advice: pay attention to the trainers when they are explaining the course! It's a bit confusing at first but watch a few times if you can and it gets a lot easier to understand.

Finished School! Now Chapter 2!

Thanks for that fast reply! You're awesome! What about that general knowledge test? open book? I DO KNOW I will need some help with certain backing maneuvers. I called and talked with my recruiter about requesting to go to Olathe KS, she said it wasn't likely, since I'm closer to TX. :/

I go into a lot more detail in the thread on orientation.

Finished School! Now Chapter 2!

I have read ALL your posts. WHEW! But could you elaborate on the testing stuff at the company? If you remember, I mentioned my test anxiety. :/ I was watching YouTube videos about TransAm. How does the testing work? When is it? General Knowledge test? Backing test? The guy in the youtube said one of his classmate got sent home because he fails some test, but did say what part. See here I go.

Everyone in the training department is awesome. They really take to time to help if you need a little extra work on something. I'd be willing to bet you can request to come to Kansas. They fly people in from all over the east coast.

Most of the driver trainers are excellent too. They know that they only have a short time with their students and they want to help them succeed. I say most because there are a few that are just in it for the miles. Make sure you get your trainer to let you do ALL the backing as you won't get too many opportunities in 11 days.