Comments By Turtle

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0643636001596476770-52826.jpg avatar
  • Turtle
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

Why would you say that?

Because the attitude and behavior he's exhibiting is the very definition of homophobia. But that doesn't make him a bad person, and I'm certainly not judging him for feeling him the way he does. He's entitled to feel any way he wants.

I was raised with values that don’t support/agree with his lifestyle

I believe if the guy is a good trainer, who cares about his lifestyle or how he conducts himself?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Employment history for school/employment

It may hinder you at some companies, but not all. With a spotty work history, you'd probably be safer to Apply For Paid CDL Training with multiple companies. This way, the companies that take the bait and offer you a job will already know about your work history. You'll definitely get hired on somewhere.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

DMV permit

Study the High Road CDL Training Program and you'll pass it on your first try.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help with issue

The problem is the over the top flamboyance, daisy dukes, flirting, and just the in general man trying to be a woman. It’s absolutely disgusting. If I say one wrong word to him or to my driver manager I could be seen as being homophobic.

Well you are, so...

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Driver Pulse

Sweet!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Game: What are your goals?

- To pass on to my grandchildren the core principles and values I was taught as a child.

- To never lose the joy of holding my wife's hand.

- To make my grandchildren proud, so that they may hold their heads high, knowing where they came from.

- To live out my days in relative peace and comfort.

That's about it. I need nothing more.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Need help making a decision

No, I don't really need to know where you're from or where you went to school. It wouldn't change my answer.

We teach "best practices" here, and one of those practices is to not start your career by going local. There are far more career killing-dangers involved in local driving vs OTR.

Over the long term, companies and insurance companies alike want to see solid OTR experience. Unfortunately, local driving isn't always considered good experience by either. Imagine starting out local only to get into a minor accident, and then finding yourself unhireable by any other company. That happens far more often than you think.

Having a good base of OTR experience makes you more appealing, and gives you better bargaining power when applying for future driving jobs.

All that being said, you can still be successful taking the path you are choosing. Many drivers also start out local, and are doing very well. If you are firm about wanting to start local, then you just need to "set yourself up to be successful" as you say.

In your shoes, I'd continue to seek out other available positions, giving myself as many options as possible. For the sake of your question, however, let's go with the two options you presented.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the lower paying Universal simply for the extensive training I'd receive on the very routes I'd be taking solo. Two weeks OTR with Pam would do little to prepare you for the rigors of local driving. The hourly rate would play no part in my decision. Knowing my own work ethic, I'm confident I'd be bumped up the pay scale rather quickly anyway. Throw in the better benefits and sign on bonus, and it's a wash.

To be clear, I'm a mega carrier fan. Their support, financial, and logistical advantages are just unmatched, in my opinion. I know nothing of Pam or Universal. but that's what I would recommend based on what you've told us.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Walmart Isn't Always an Easy Back

Welcome to the wonderful world of Walmart docks!

Not every Walmart dock is a piece of cake.

Very few, if any are a piece of cake. As you deliver to more and more stores, you'll see that the amount of hazards and obstacles is constantly changing.

Tight docks, containers, pallets, bales, empties, you name it and it'll be in your way. Add to that a handful of vendors parked everywhere, tire shop guys doing laps around the lot, customers rippin through the "trucks only" lanes to get to the side exit, and store employees blindly pushing dumpsters in your back path with their faces glued to their phones. Good times.

Keep your windows down and your eyes and ears open.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Arizona DOT Enforcement blitz this week.

Mom & Pops and hot shots get the bulk of the attention. PTI and go on about your business like normal.

Try to take an unorthodox way around a weigh/inspection station, and they'll be waiting for you. THAT is when they'll pick you apart.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Just got a ticket

Rob T. It's been a week; kinda UNLIKE you . . . ?!?!? Don't forget, other than Todd (or Purple Preston) I'm the doxxer here. LoL

Just stop in, please~!

Still popping in periodically but haven't had much free time. Kids have been keeping us busy and as the weathers warming up I'm working on some projects outside. 70 degrees next week woohoo!

You mean some people might have a life outside of social media? Weird.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Should I keep my CDL?

You do you, Zach. No need to come here and tell us anything, if you don't want to. Focus on yourself and make it happen. We'll be here when you need us.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Just a not-so-brief introduction.. Hello all!

By the way, Turtle was my fathers handle.

Mine too. Long lost brother, perhaps?

confused.gif

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Just a not-so-brief introduction.. Hello all!

Welcome to the forum, john!

We're glad you came forward to introduce yourself, as it opens up an avenue for dialogue. Please feel free to join in the conversations and post any questions you may have.

Our starter pack is practically required reading for anyone wishing to come into the field. Check these out:

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

The oldest profession? Not what you think.

Ironically, dispatch is still waiting on a copy of that signed BOL before they'll pay detention.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Thus goes the best laid plans of Mice and Men

Yup, the K&T. Decent little place if you don't mind the old school atmosphere.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Got upgraded!

Congratulations!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Thus goes the best laid plans of Mice and Men

I delivered to that Fairmont Novellis many times myself. Thankfully the crane was always operational. Rob D recently had similar delay as you. FWIW, that little mom and pop diner/restaurant down the road has some good eats, if covid hasn't shut them down.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Had foot surgery, was prescribed Vicodin (opoid)

You absolutely need to tell them about this, so you're totally covered in the event of a possible UA or hair test. Not only that, I'd be worried the Vicodin may conflict with your ability to operate a forklift or jockey trailers. Not sure of the legality there, or company policy. But I'd be concerned about it. My company requires that I immediately notify them upon taking any medication not on my list of current medicines.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

First Incident as a new Driver. Will I get fired?

I was worried he was going to hit me head on and didn’t see me

That would have made it his fault. Instead, you now have a preventable incident on your record. See the error in your decision?

Simply put, there is no justifiable reason here for you to swerve your vehicle into a stationary object. As the others have said, never let someone's foolishness push you into making an unwise or unsafe decision.

I'd also advise you to not take the approach of blaming the other guy when you talk to safety about this. Mistakes happen, and they know this. They'll want to see that you not only learn something from this, but also recognize your fault in it. Good luck.