Comments By BuckeyeCowboy

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Yvonne, I'm inspired by your story. I am in the same situation you are where I can't afford it. Here in Ohio we have the WIA program where the county will pay for your school if you are considered low income. Here that is about 33k. I didnt know it exsisted till I met with a rep at the trucking school Im attending. Im sure they have something like that in your neck of the woods. Take care God bless.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Went over to the school today to fill out a few applications. Got prehires from TMC, Boyd Brothers, and Warner. Already had one from Swift and waiting on Melton to get back to me. I want to have options so might apply to Millis and Central Refridgerated. Oh yeah should also be getting letters from Stevens and BST as well. I know probably overkill but I want to have as many options as possible. Just working extra hard on diet and exercise. I have a physical coming soon and Im diabetic. Controlled with pills and diet so should be fine. Everything else I would be fine with on physical. So heres hoping my meds are doing their job.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Yeah. Their website says that they have both. I've never driven a stick before so 9, 10, or 13 I say bring it on cause I am ready for it. I like Peterbilts a lot and the ones TMC have are beautiful but Melton also has the Kenwoth T660 which is my second favorite truck. So, as long as Im not tossed into a Volvo I will be good with what they give me. Jk about the Volvos.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Yep Brett. Thanks. Driving a skateboard wasn't the first thing that came to mind. I always wanted to but thought you would have to have experience driving first. Appreicate the help.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Great news. Talked to a rep at Melton and can take my wife from day one. They were high on my list even before I found out. Put in an application with them and also got a pre hire from tmc as well.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Thanks Brett. Wish I had this info a few months ago. It may have saved me a few bad decisions. Great site. Thanks for all the wonderful info.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Brett, I was afraid you would say that. I found a happy medium. TMC promises to try to get you home almost every weekend and they said their average driver spends 52 hohrs at home. I can do that for six months then take my with me. It helps they have beautiful black and chrome petterbilts with a cat. In my research they seem like an excellent company.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Thanks Old School. I appreicate that. I have started the program and it is very useful. This is my second attempt at trucking school. First one ended in misery lol. I passed the schools requirements, but didnt attain my cdl in a timely manner. The cdl tester told me that I was close and needed just a bit more work, which is not bad for someone who had never driven a stick or hauled a trailer, or really driven anything bigger than a small pickup. I ran out of time and was dismissed. Found out later that the school was a "sham" (not my words, but other peoples'). So, we will see how it goes this time. I will get my permit. I will keep you all updated.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Scott, that make sense. I have found where Warner, Melton, Averitt, and a driver told me TransAm all said that you can have someone out year round, but they didn't say anything about if it can start right out of training. Swift recruiter told me that I could, but not sure that is entirely accurate either. Thanks. I'll keep researching.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

If everything goes according to plan, I will be starting here June 17th. I am super excited. I am already researching the companies that I want to work for. I know I probably shouldn't, but I like to be prepared. I am studying for my CDL permit as well as all the endorsements. School said to get them with the permit, which I am okay with. I will update this as I get closer to school to let you all know what is going on.

Posted:  9 years, 1 month ago

Rider Program

Looking for some assistance. I am starting truck driving school next month. I am so excited. Anyways, once I get out I can choose the company I want to work for. I want my wife to share this experience with me. She can't drive due to medical issues or we would team. Anyways, I want her to come on the truck with me as soon as possible after training, so we can share the experience together. What, if any, companies will allow her to ride with me right out of training, and will they allow her to be with me all year round? Thanks for the help. New here, so if I am rambling, I am sorry.