Comments By Daniel W.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-highway.jpg avatar
  • Daniel W.
  • Comments:

Noob starting at Werner

Luckily the GPS took us down to I10 and I slipped right under the storms, and I made it to Texas before my time ended. Everything is wet still and I saw the storms off in the distance. We got really lucky, on the radar those storms look hideous. I hope whoever has to drive through them stays safe.

Noob starting at Werner

I'm taking a 30 minute break now, after the rest of my drive tonight I will be down to 78 hours left Bryn 😆 I'm also off curfew so tonight was my first all nighter heading to Laredo TX from NC. I just drove from GA to LA. I should get into TX before we swap seats.

Noob starting at Werner

I'm glad this has been helpful for some 😊 I looked around to try and find details about recent new Werner drivers, but I was unsuccessful so I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to share my experience.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before or not, although I am working for Werner I'm being trained in an Eagle truck (works for Werner), and I'm not quite sure how that all works. There seems to be somewhat of a benefit to this though, because I now have the option to work OTR for Eagle. From what I gather the trainees that get paired up with trainers that work for Eagle, Eagle tries to poach werner's trainees. I overheard a phone call today confirming that, so I should expect a call from them soon. I had no idea how many possibilities there would be in just one company (theoretically). I came into this just wanting to drive a truck to get experience. I haven't even finished training and now I'm expected to make decisions on what I want to do. I haven't put any thought into it yet, because I just want to focus on training and not get distracted by the little things that don't matter until I test out.

I just finished another 10 hours behind the wheel which brings me up to 174 of 275, and I'm off for the weekend. I figured now would be a good time to recap a bit, before the weekend consumes me lol. So this stint out on the road was 22 days, and there were ups and downs. In just 22 days I ventured across half of the country literally, 25 states!!! This truck has done 14,000 miles with me in it. And in types of weather (snow, heavy rain, high wind). And all types of roads. For those looking to see this amazing country this is the way to do it, and you get paid to do so.

I've backed about 30 times so far. Now when it comes to backing my trainer isn't too great at teaching (compared to instructors at CDL school), but he gets out and makes sure I don't destroy everything nearby. He tries to coach me as I'm doing it, but he tends to end up where I can't see him, which can be frustrating. The last thing I want to do is run him over.... Although, no!!!! Lol. I don't mind not having my hand held, but for some it might not work to well. I like trying and learning from my mistakes.

Next up hygiene and cleanliness. Now I didn't expect anything pristine, nor did I expect regular showers, however I would've thought I'd get more than the 3 or 4 showers I did get. My trainers truck is filthy, plain and simple. If I didn't bag up and dispose of the daily trash, I'm not sure what would happen. I can't help it, but I'm a neat person, especially since this is basically your home. Now this would obviously vary from person to person, I just happened to get paired up with a rather lazy trainer in that aspect.

I think that about sums up my rant. I'm looking forward to this break! Happy trucking and happy Easter everyone. For those following along thanks for taking the time follow this new and unique experience of mine. If anyone has questions, please ask and I'll be glad to try and answer 😊

Noob starting at Werner

Everything is still going at a steady pace, bouncing around from state to state until my trainer's home time comes up on Friday. I'm up to about 158 hours completed, a lil less than what I hoped for so far, but there's a couple more days until break hopefully. We aren't sure if they are going to send him home early since we are pretty close to his home state, but we are hoping that doesn't happen. He stayed out a bit longer to be home for Easter, and my wife made plans to visit, which would be all ruined if he's told to go home today.

On another note I got a phone call yesterday offering to put me on a dedicated account instead of doing OTR. Looks like I'll be hauling Perdue chicken after training. Supposedly it pays a little more than OTR, and I can gain some reefer experience. If I don't like it or it doesn't work out I can switch back to OTR. I love that I have a job with options!!

Noob starting at Werner

We ended up getting another load in Cali heading to Utah, so I got to drive back up to Salt Lake City, then got another load there and headed back east. I got to climb the Rockies and drive through most of Wyoming on I80. My last hour of driving was in snow, but it wasn't too bad. It got quite a bit worse when the trainer took over for the night. That was a lot of hours driving in snow the other day for him. Of course I couldn't sleep knowing the conditions. I picked up in the middle of Nebraska, and got to Chicago (where the load was going) yesterday. That was a good 640 miles of driving. The trainer bounced around quite a bit last night and I woke up this morning in a truck stop with no trailer 🤔 I was confused lol. Basically had today off as Werner had my trainer on a wild goose chase for an empty trailer in Indiana last night. But we got another load this evening going back west to Des Moines. Trainer's driving it due to my curfew still being in effect, which I think my trainer should've logged enough observation hours logged by now to remove the curfew. I mean I've got 135 hours done (half way to completion). But tomorrow I'll be behind the wheel bright and early for another good chunk of hours hopefully.

So far it's still going well. And I'm really enjoying the experience. I'm so glad I've finally found a career I enjoy!! I can see myself doing this a long time so long as my body can handle it. Gotta figure out how to tackle my leg swelling issues. I never had this issue driving long periods in a car. I drove to Texas from Maryland and back right before I started this job and didn't have an issue. I drove 12 hours 2 days in a row to get there, then 24 hours to get back and had no swelling. Only thing I can think is it's the seats or maybe seating position.

Oh before I forget training pay got bumped up again. It was $450 a week, my check yesterday was $550 (before taxes). So that was a pleasant surprise.

Noob starting at Werner

The runs are still going well, we ended up getting a load of hay in Utah and took it to South Beach CA, unfortunately there was quite a wait to get unloaded. It was interesting driving around LA, people are nuts lol. The place (south beach logistics) appears to be a crappy place to get into and maneuver, as we sit on the street waiting for over 2 hours to get in and unloaded. Luckily they have a yard jockey to get the trailer to the dock, because I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable backing almost 90 degrees blind side in a tight place. Our next load is going back to Utah. So far I've been with my trainer for almost 3 weeks (but he had 3 days of home time) and I'm up to roughly 120 hours now. Only another 155 or so left to do. Hopefully I can get a bunch in before he goes back home for 3 days for Easter.

Noob starting at Werner

The hours are steadily flowing in, which is awesome. I guess I'm now out of the total noob category as our next load will be going from VA to UT. That should be awesome, I finally get to see some states I haven't been in yet 😊 This whole experience is looking up and my 275 hours are counting down rather quick. If this keeps up I'm projecting to be done in about 3 weeks. At which point I can test out and get my own truck! Then I can finally go home again and see my wife for a few days. It's been an interesting experience so far and I've still got a lot to learn, tweak and perfect, but I've come a long way in these past 3 weeks. I look forward to seeing what the rest of my training will bring my way.

Noob starting at Werner

I got another 10 hours of driving in today!! I'm starting to make a real dent. My trainer drove through Kentucky last night, and I pretty much drove all the way across Tennessee to Memphis to drop the load, grabbed an empty and set out to Birmingham Alabama. Of course I faced a good down pour along my journey thanks to that big storm that's flooding many areas, but it was good experience. At some points I couldn't see another rig 50' in front of me 😖 Being stuck in rain all day sure does make for a long day. I've never seen so many accidents in one day, think I counted 10 or so 😕 One involved a rig and shutdown I20 at Academy Dr, and I was running out of time. It was a crunch but I made it to a truck stop with 5 minutes to spare lol. As of now I'm not sure what's on the agenda tomorrow. My trainer is driving to Savannah GA to drop this load. I may have to finish it in the AM. Driving time is definitely getting better though and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Noob starting at Werner

I forgot to post updates :(

It's slowly getting better, we haven't been sitting like we were, but we aren't getting long loads. After today though I will have logged about 60 hours of training. My trainer is pretty good, we get along and helps when help is needed. Apparently once I reach a certain phase in training (no explanation) we ought to get better loads. Like one load we picked up yesterday in PA went to WA, but because I'm a noob I can't go over the Rockies or anywhere near them it seems, so we had to drop it in OH. The load we have now is PA to OH again. Our next load looks a bit better, OH to TN. So it's slowly improving. Just a lot of little back and forth runs, but I'm ok with that. It gives me experience and more opportunities to practice backing (which is ok sometimes and crappy at others lol), but my trainer isn't happy about the miles, so I get to listen to that quite a bit. All in all its looking a lot better than it did in my last post. I'll try to remember to keep updating this, I'm just getting a lot thrown at me and it skips my mind.

Noob starting at Werner

Well Wednesday was unproductive, we drove up to Alachua and was supposed to pick up an empty trailer. Well that turned into spending the night at the dollar gen dc, because there never was an empty. And we were told to just wait Wednesday. (Less than 2 hours of drive time)

Thursday we were given the OK to bob tail up to Douglas GA to pick up a loaded trailer and take to to the Lithia Springs terminal, but when we got there we had to deal with a pretty messed up tire. One tire was flat spotted through all the tread. We got it sorted and got to Lithia Springs at around 1900. (Around 8 hours of drive time)

We've been waiting since and supposedly the next load we are taking will arrive here at 1400. That load is heading to Shippensburg PA.

I've only just cracked 20 hours of the 275 required so far 😕 It seems like this is going to be a longer process than I expected.

Noob starting at Werner

It's been a few days, time for an update.

On Wednesday night I got a surprise call from the trainer that they assigned to me and he informed me he would pick me up at the terminal on Thursday. After a 5 hour wait at the terminal I was behind the wheel 😆 We bob tailed over to where he dropped an empty trailer in a lot. Grabbed that then hit the road. It was a really nerve wracking experience for a first day. I had to drive up the Poconos mountains at night in an unfamiliar rig and it snowed. I was climbing a hill and we went around the bend and suddenly the road was covered in snow 😖 I then learned how quickly these rigs lose traction as I spun the tires. We finally got to the remote location and swapped the empty for a 35000 lb load heading to the Atlanta GA terminal. Luckily for me the roads cleared up pretty well and we made the descent. I got about 4 1/2 hours in before my midnight curfew (Werner policy for new trainees).

Friday my trainer drove the majority of VA until it was my turn to take the helm again. I drove all the way to Atlanta and got to experience some stop and go traffic along the way. In the first two days of driving I really learned a lot, and I'm really enjoying this new career choice. I've knocked out 12 hours of my 275 so far.

My trainer drove all day Saturday with another load going to Aluchua FL, and then he bob tailed home for his home time. I get to enjoy Titusville FL until Wednesday morning.

Now my trainer is a decent driver, but I do have some quirks with him. He hasn't pre tripped once or post tripped. Luckily I remember the pretrip really well from the school I went to to get my cdl. His rig (freight liner) has issues. Water leaks in and runs down the inside of the windshield that dries leaving behind a lot of water marks. When I drove from va to ga I learned the driver side windshield wiper on sprays washer fluid on the bottom portion of the windshield. Which was an issue when trying to remove salt from the windshield when the sun started hitting it. So there are issues, but I'm managing to do pretty well with what I've been given.

I did have a question if someone could enlighten me I'd greatly appreciate it. My trainer told me that if DOT stops me and if I have an open/empty energy drink (monster) he can get me with being a fatigued driver, is this true?

Thanks Errol!!

I forgot to post day 2, so here goes. Yesterday's orientation consisted of watching a few videos, and finishing up the CBTs (computer based training). Since I had finished most of the ones required before OTR training, they had me start the CBTs required to test out after training (required before getting a truck). I finished all of the CBTs yesterday, and I was told they were waiting for drug test results before we could progress.

Today (day 3) I didn't have to be at the terminal for any particular reason, because the CBTs were finished, but there was a short class about equipment that I figured I'd get done and out of the way. After that we found out the drug test results were back and I'm now officially an employee. And by me doing everything required, when training is done there won't be a hold up on my end to transition into my own truck. If the CBTs required to get a truck aren't complete by the time you get a trainer, you just have to finish them after the required hours of training.

They haven't assigned a trainer to me yet, but a few others in my group have already left to meet trainers, so hopefully my time waiting isn't too long. I've basically had most of the day off, but the hotel location is terrible. There's nothing around, so there's nothing to do, but sit and wait to see if I get a call saying I've been assigned a trainer.

Tomorrow morning there will be a meeting in the hotel to go over some information about training, and hopefully by that time I will find out some good news.

Noob starting at Werner

Day 1 of orientation done. Filled out some basic new hire paperwork and the majority of the day was doing computer based training. I've got a couple left to finish up, and we have a lot of other things to go over tomorrow (pay, benefits, etc.). I was surprised how quickly the class shrunk. I think about a quarter of the group (5 people or so) disappeared before the day was over.

So far it seems like a decent place to work, now that I've bumped into a few drivers and a couple of trainers. I'm looking forward to see how the rest of this goes, and tackling the 275 hours of driving with a trainer.

Noob starting at Werner

Hello everyone, my name is Daniel, and I've lurked around reading many posts on this forum as I prepared to begin my trucking career. I decided to go with Werner, and I'm starting orientation tomorrow at their Allentown PA terminal. I had no particular reasoning behind my choice, because I'm just looking to get experience.

I got my CDL in October of 2015, and I have no experience. I did manage to attain all the endorsements (doubles/triples, tankers, hazmat) before I came out here. The bus ride was terrible, and as of now I think if I can get through that everything else will be alright. I was shocked a 3 1/2 drive (in a car) turns into a 9 1/2 hour journey by greyhound bus. An uncomfortable 9 1/2 journey at that lol. I look forward to this endeavor and I'll share my experience as it unfolds. From my understanding tomorrow consists of paperwork, dot physical, drug test, and some tests on a computer. I'm glad it's nothing too serious since I got here 6 hours before I have to get my day started.