Comments By Kat

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig9.jpg avatar
  • Kat
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Hard Lesson Learned

I was taught to count from the first hole period....

Going solo in 2 weeks and need advice on what to get

Oh...CB radio (especially with winter approaching), command hooks, small bolt cutters for the wire seals, zip ties, 2 10" black elastic straps like flat bedders use - good for holding open reefer doors if needed, spray lubricant for your 5th wheel...the stuff that the Prime store has is great

Going solo in 2 weeks and need advice on what to get

Bungee cords, small note pads, pens, porta potty (love the Luggable Loo), several gallons of drinking water

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Advice on trucking company for paid training husband and wife team

Prime is a fantastic company, and it won't take that long to get into your own truck. Lots of bonuses for teams too.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Hi, I'm Kat, and I'm a hoarder....

Instead of sacking out for the night, I have found myself "reorganizing" my truck. I bought some drawer storage things while I was home last weekend in the hopes that I could clear out some cabinet space and by default, free up the top bunk for a student in a couple of months. I'm beginning to think it's a futile effort. LOL I have even utilized the space under the bunk, and honestly, I don't think I have a bunch of unnecessary stuff just hoarded on the truck!

How do you guys that train do it?

confused.gif

Self destruct button? LOL

I hate to admit my stupidity, but I didn't know what it was so I pushed it in WY.

I was extremely bored and Old School wouldn't answer his phone. So out of boredom and curiousity I pushed it.

Apparently dispatch called me seconds later and I didn't see so it went unanswered. So my QC went crazy with messages so I finally checked my phone and I had close to a dozen missed calls from dispatch, safety, and some security agency from San Diego.

I immediately called and confessed my sin to him and all was good. Except he had to spend the next 15 minutes letting EVERYONE know that I'm alive.

Oops!

Sounds like something I would do.... shocked.pngsmile.gif

Self destruct button? LOL

I have absolutely NO IDEA what you guys are talking about. Is it just a Prime thing?

It's a red push button on the dash. I have a Freightliner and it sits right next to my RightWeigh gauge. Wish I could post a pic, but I'm not that savvy. LOL

Self destruct button? LOL

Ha! Absolutely not! I have wracked up more than my share of stupid moments over the past year. No need to add that one to my list. rofl-3.gif

Self destruct button? LOL

confused.gifrofl-2.gif

I have seen truckers joking in several Facebook groups about the red button on the dash... Lately I have been staring at it and wondering. Neither of my trainers ever mentioned it. Can someone here fill me in?

Would You?

Hmmmm....that's WAY too much time. I'd work with dispatch to see if the drop appt could be changed or if it could be dropped early.

What is a day off?

My question was pretty poorly worded. Instead of "What is a day off?" I should have asked "How long is a day off?"

Despite some excellent answers, I'm still not following the timing of days off for an OTR driver. If I have 2 days of home time coming to me and get "home" at 3:00 pm on Friday, when is my two days of home time over? Sunday at 2:00 pm, Monday morning, or some other time?

With Prime, the day you get home and the day you leave are not considered part of your time off. For example, I recently took four days off (Sat-Tues). I got home about 4pm on Friday and even though my available time was noon on Wednesday, the load I got didn't require me to actually hit the road until 5pm. I just consider that bonus time!

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Are there any former teachers/educators turned truck drivers here?

I am a teacher turned trucker and honestly wonder why I didn't do this sooner. Taught high school chemistry and physics for 14 years. Got my CDL through Prime last summer and have been on the road ever since. I LOVE IT!

Sometimes It Just All Works Out

Very cool!

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Worst week of my life.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Praying that you find peace and comfort.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Suggestions for kitchen/ cooking appliances

I have a small microwave, a toaster oven and one of the little egg cookers. Those three things do just about everything I need.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Funny Rookie Mistakes?

Here's one.... One of my first few loads, I had a difficult dock to get into. Took me more than 30 minutes, and I was proud of myself for getting it in there without hitting anything. All was good until they sent the yard guy out to tell me I had backed into the wrong door. wtf.gif

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Finding Gears...

When I was in training, we were told to plan to take a turn in 6th gear if we weren't going to have to stop. That seemed to work well for me....got me to 15 mph or less in order to make the gear work. One of the mistakes I made during my test was on the home stretch....took a corner a little too fast and did it one handed because I forgot to get it into gear before the turn. Ended up shifting down at the last second and saving it. Find a mantra or system that works for you, and do it the same way every time. After a while it almost becomes like muscle memory.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Made it to 1 year: 130,000 safe miles

That's awesome!

dancing-dog.gif

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Legendary Update: My time is now..........

Congratulations!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

A lesson in patience

Last week, my FM went on vacation. He was out Friday a week ago until today. Our payday cut off is Tuesday. Anyhow, right after he left, I started getting awful loads...short miles, way too much time on them, plus lag time between loads. Had 3 of those back to back before I pleaded with dispatch to have pity on me, explaining nicely that I just finished the week with a whopping 1300 miles. I don't know if it was my approach or just nobody noticing what a serious run of awful I had gotten, but things sure turned around. I am finishing this pay week having run just over 4000 miles. Barely had time to sleep, shower and eat, but man it's been fun! Absolutely everything was on point. I had committed loads pre planned before I even reached the 90 for every single load and was able to manage my clock so that everything clicked into place. Was very glad that my guy was back at the helm today and let him know I would like more weeks like this one. LOL

smile.gif