Comments By Lil

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/nascar-hauler.jpg avatar
  • Lil
  • Comments:

Solo lady trucker here, willing to help.

Kat, your statements mirror what I've heard from the teachers I know. I even saw how NCLB has hindered education not helped it when I worked for a youth training program. It's sad that accountability and excellence are diminishing, even in AP classes. But it's good you will be done w/ the BS and starting a new direction. That's great about Prime; they seem like a good company. Good point on out of state permit.

Roehl Transport

Hyrnn, It's good to read another perspective of Roehl and that you're having positive experiences with them. You make a great point about talking with recruiters. Schneider is still my top choice, although a lot can happen once I finish school. I appreciate your input.

On the Job Search. Thinking about May Trucking.

Congratulations on your CDL and good luck with your job search!

Potential Rookie here

Kenneth,

I know this thread is old, but I just saw it now and wanted to respond. You have another option to get both your GED and your CDL that you may not be aware of: Job Corps. It is a federally funded, residential youth training program, for youth ages 16-24. I used to recruit for it, and my students had their choice of 11 different training centers. Training centers offer different trades. A center is setup like a small college campus where it has dorms, dining halls, classrooms, recreation center, etc. Some centers are even former military installation centers. Some centers are not as nice as others. But you don't choose a center because you like the amenities or the location. You choose a center because of the program. Job Corps isn't the military. You don't march and you don't wear camoflauge, but you will wear uniforms (like a polo shirt and khaki's). You don't pay for anything. The government does. You receive basic medical, dental, vision as well as food, room/board and an allowance (enough to buy soap, shampoo, etc) all at no cost to you. When you finish the program, you can receive a graduation bonus. It used to be $1200, but not sure what it is now. It is not all fun and games, nor is it an escape, as some students thought. It is a tough program. You are living with all different personalities and with people who come from all different backgrounds. You also deal with a lot of drama in the dorms (yes even the guys have drama). That was the #1 complaint I heard, the drama. You would also have to do chores. But in return for that, you are being taught social skills, living skills and life skills and can finish your education and get a trade, all at no cost.

That first year

I could see how the WY winters would be awful. I'm guessing you mean LA, the city, and not LA, the state of Louisiana. If so, that would be awful to drive in. That's good you didn't have to wait too long at customers.

Solo lady trucker here, willing to help.

Ahmalia, That's nice of you to offer your guidance. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for you once I'm in school. Thanks!

Katherine, I'm not in school yet, but after doing my research I would think it's better to try for your CLP (Commercial Driver Learner Permit) before you start school. Yet, that may also depend upon how long a CLP is valid in your state. In WI, one is good for 6 months, so I'm going to try to get mine a few weeks before school. I'm going to a tech college (not a private school), and the instructors said the students will try for the CLP within the first few weeks of classes. Since I want to be a step ahead, I'm going to start reading Brett's High Road series on here to help me prepare and try for the CLP a few weeks before school.

Before I decided on trucking, I was thinking of getting my alternative teaching license, but all the teachers I know are leaving the profession because of all the bureaucracy. Good for you for getting out of an abusive relationship. That takes courage and strength!

That first year

That's awesome and a great accomplishment!!! Funny about the mountains. After watching Highway Thru Hell on Netflix, I can't imagine driving some mountain passes.

What's the most challenging thing you faced this year?

Passed My CDL!!!

Congratulations!!

Roehl Transport

Wow, that is awful . I can't believe that a company like Roehl would do that. I could see CRST after all their sex scandals, but not Roehl. I'm shocked and sadly reminded that women may face more adversity then men. This is disgusting!!!! Thanks for sharing your story. Roehl was one of my top choices when I finish school, but I will not go with any company that has cameras that face the sleeping area.

Newbie Introduction

Hi Everyone,

I'm in my 40s and will be attending a local tech college in a few months to obtain my CDL. I had a professional career, but also had high student loan debt that I'm worried about paying back. I haven't been able to bounce back fully after I was laid-off years ago since my field in nonprofit was heavily affected by the economy. Therefore, I'm looking for a new career that I can support myself and save for retirement. I love to drive, love a challenge, love an autonomous job and love variety, so trucking makes the most sense at this time in my life.

I've enjoyed reading about other women's experiences. I recently signed up for this site, but have read a lot in the last several weeks. Thanks to those who've shared their stories, which is making me realize I can do this.

Lil

In serious need of a pep talk...

That would be a great CB handle.

Hired

Lynette, best of luck to you and congratulations!

In serious need of a pep talk...

ChickieMonster, your profile name makes me laugh. Good luck with orientation and please keep us posted. Like you, I'm trying to read as much as I can to prepare. It sounds like you've done a great job.

Finally going

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your adventures in school.

Finally going

Good luck! I look forward to reading about your adventures in school.

Question From Truck Driving Newbie

6 string thanks again for elaborating on linehaul. I had read on a different site that you had to pull 300 lb dollies, so I'm glad you clarified. I'm far from petite (5'8), but I still can only lift 75 lbs so couldn't imagine pulling so much.

Question From Truck Driving Newbie

Hi Deb,

I'm going to MATC (Milwaukee). My future instructors said we'll do a road trip to the FVTC campus. I think it's for skid pad training. I read some of you posts on H.O. Wolding, and you always have good things to say. It's great you're having a good experience with them and that they're positive towards woman. They also seem very safety conscious. I was also looking at Wel also, but when I read someone's awful experience about being booted after being a top driver, that changed my mind. Thanks for confirming the 30 day before graduation.

Finally doing this

Devan, good luck. Lucky you to do training in AZ. I love that state.

Steven, your comment about an office with a view made me laugh. I'm also soooooo tired of cubicle life & office politics.

Roehl Company-Sponsored Program - Day to Day

This is a great thread since Roehl is one of my top choices. Thanks!

Question From Truck Driving Newbie

Thank you 6 String and Jetguy for your fast responses! I didn't know about the 30 day time frame, so that helps. Also good suggestion to ask the school. I met with the instructors before I applied, and they told me where the graduates were hired. But i didn't even think that recruiters would come to the class.

6 String....I read your linehaul thread, and it was very informative. I would like linehaul, but I think it's too physical for me, so I'm looking at dry or reefer.