Comments By Chris K.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/dusk.jpg avatar
  • Chris K.
  • Comments:

I have had it

Being in restaurant business I'm the first to say jump, but from my experience 10 years ago in trucking I would stick it out for awhile. I jumped ship quick from Stevens because of emergency and was turned down by several companies. I was on my way to JB Hunt who had horrible rep at the time and found a small company Cooke out of Mt. airy nc. Good company but put me right into team driving first day and off I went. I would get Teddy back and run. If its absolutely horrible before next hometime, well I would def consider changing. I know others would not agree but sometimes enough is enough. At least stay long enough so you can jump right into a truck and not have to retrain. Swift sounds pretty good though. Ok coffe kickin in and I'm rambling 😝

Medical records..question? Recent physicals.

Several companies. Two local-Mtn River transport, Wla inc. Millis also.

Medical records..question? Recent physicals.

I could go into even more detail, but it's just too much to put on here. Two years ago I blacked out from exhaustion and was taken to a small town hospital. At time I was working in a kitchen 90-100 hrs a week, about 27-30 days straight I went down. Hospital wouldn't take that as an answer to the problem. You wouldn't believe some of things they came up with.

Start CDL School for Stevens Transport Mon. 6/6/16 (Whew, glad that one is in that date!!)

Stevens will ram safety down your throat, which is a good thing. You will hear negatives about them but I liked working for them. You will spend a lot of time in good ol' Texas. If I wanted to spend 6-8 weeks at a time out in the road I would consider going back.

Best of luck! Sounds like they have a good school in CO. If you do orientation in Dallas it's a lot thrown at you at once. But it's a lot of fun.

Medical records..question? Recent physicals.

Hit submit. I never admitted to either. Wife was w me at time and backs me up. Just have a 60-90 wait to see if they will fix it.

Medical records..question? Recent physicals.

For the juicy part it claims I admitted to having a history of anxiety and intravenous drug use. I was in er for blacking out at work 2 years ago, due to exhaustion. Worked 27 days straight avg of 14 hrs a day. Working as chef in newly opened restaurant.

SS card?

I would bring it. Most companies want a copy for their records.

Medical records..question? Recent physicals.

Any one taking a recent physical have to give access to their entire medical records?? OR? Have to sign a release for the company you are hiring on with to access them.

I recently had my records pulled and their are some discrepancies. It will take 90 days or more to fix. i knowof a few companies that have a release form you have to sign within their app. Just wondering.

OK, What Do You Make of This

This is just a memory, when I worked for Stevens 10 years ago, if you wanted a few minutes to breath you didn't send Qualcomm msg you were done at receiver or you would receive immediate instructions on where to go next. Run run run. But that's the reefer business also.

When I was with Stevens ten years ago, their sponsored training was Dallas and Houston only. Write the diary!

I have had it

Check out Van Wyk and Continental Express. Smaller reefer companies. Based in Midwest not sure hiring areas. Not sure of rider program though. Also online transport. I have been researching smaller companies 200-1000 trucks. A little more hometime, pay decent and more of family atmosphere.

I have had it

Best of luck. Get thru this and begin putting feelers out to see who is hiring and see if it is truly a better job. TransAm should do something to appease your suffering. My two cents.

If you run hard 2600-3000 a week. Will run you two months before hometime.

I worked for Stevens ten years ago. I did not go thru their school. As a rookie driver then, I learned a great deal about safe driving etc. I was constantly made fun of on CB b/c I drove for them. Swift, Jb hunt, Schneider, Werner, etc were also constantly belittled. I personally think Stevens is a respectable company. Their pay is on low side but they give you the miles if you are willing to run them. If you are looking for consistent home time then they are not for you.

Thinking About Becoming A Truck Driver.

Does the school district report to dot?

Question about left and right turns

I always add one not related to conversation. Brett's book is an excellent read also.

Question about left and right turns

There will be questions on the permit test about both turns. You will not have to perform them until road test. Have you studied the high raid training program?High Road Training Program

PAM Transport - a new beginning

Glad to hear you are doing well, especially after your experience w Stevens.

Any info on these companies

Check out Online Transport. I just posted a thread about them. No flatbed. But I bet they hire from your area.

FYI-Online Transport

Just talked w hiring/training personnel with Online Transport. The Rundown: 7 week training for CDL. First three at Company headquarters- classroom, range, on road driving(the basics). You are paid 75$ per day..weekends off. Housing provided. Not sure about meals. 4 weeks otr w trainer...100$ per day. No tuition. One year contract. However I did not get info on what happens if you leave early. Training in Indiana. I know they don't hire from all 50 states. Most freight is Indiana to southeast. Just putting it out there as an option to folks looking for paid training.smile.gif