Comments By sculpy

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/9-hauler.jpg avatar
  • sculpy
  • 5 years ago
  • Comments:

Tread depth on tires

Thanks for the replies. Figured i'd have to go verbatim to be safe, just wondering why it's officially more complicated than it has to be.

Tread depth on tires

So, this has been bothering me ever since I did the High Road Training program, but it seemed too trivial to waste a new thread on. Now that someone's talking about tread depth, here goes!

Is there something wrong with saying to the examiner "a sixteenth of an inch" and "eighth of an inch"? 2/32s and 4/32s are redundant because they're the same fraction and a mouthful to boot. What's the reasoning behind that notation and is it a mandatory recitation?

Video of my Lightweight Truck

Thankyou for the video Ms. Miyoshi! Definitely needed to see just how much space there is in a lightweight. I think, personally, I'd need that extra footstep of space between the bunk and seat to preserve my sanity on the road! Certainly some tight livin' you've got goin' on there.

I did it!

Congratulations Big Ben!

I cant believe a Company that sucks so bad, treats so many People so well!

Well that statement just perfectly encapsulates one of the main philosophies at this site, doesn't it? The drivers with the best attitudes and work ethic will always get the best treatment, regardless of the company. Just another example of the veracity of a different phrase I believe in; "you make your own luck."

Tips, Tricks, And Techniques For Rookie Drivers

Just wanted to say that i'm loving this thread. Extremely informative for a hopeful like me. Thank you all for your contributions, and keep them coming!

I'm going to start a file organized alphabetically by topic and fill it with hints like these so I can review it with my training materials.

LOOOOOONG Overdue Update

Congrats on upgrading to solo Miss Miyoshi, good job! What made you want a lightweight rather than a condo? I'm starting to consider trying out for Prime, but one thing that gives me pause is their reported preference for assigning lightweights where possible to all but flatbed drivers. Your truck looks absolutely gorgeous, but it looks like you have next to NO storage space! I have trouble imagining living on the road for weeks at a time with even less space than a regular sleeper. The CPM is fantastic, but I'd need somewhere to stuff my clothes and food, too! What made you make that choice?

I live on the East Coast, looking to get into trucking.

Hey Lee Boy, i'm in S. NJ and have been looking at schools here too. Depends if you're willing to lay out cash up front and not be indebted to a specific company for about a year. This site recommends staying with your first company for at least a year so you're not seen as a job hopper, so having to stay with them to pay off your training and CDL shouldn't be an issue.

But if you want to go shopping for more options with your CDL, consider a private school. We don't have that many options in S. NJ though. I looked at Solomon Smith, who have quite a few schools in the area, but other members here (and elsewhere on the internet) have left poor reviews about being stuck at those schools for months because they don't have enough instructors and trucks for all their students, and they end-up spending hardly any time practicing behind the wheel. So i've been considering Bradway in Vineland. It's more expensive (runs about $4000) but from what i've read their owner is more intensive about turning-out better students, and their classes are much smaller so you get the proper time behind a wheel.

Although, with Rainy's (and many others') very good reviews about Prime, i've been wondering myself about whether I should try out there instead! Tough choices.

Managing the blind-side back. (Consignees immediately off streets)

Thank you all for the advice! I suspected as much as having to use the whole road anyway, I just wanted to hear whether drivers preferred to make the dock on arrival or to put the effort in to arrive with the consignee on the left. Now, do you wait for the left lane to clear for a few hundred feet, or just play chicken with oncoming traffic in your big rig? smile.gifsmile.gif

Managing the blind-side back. (Consignees immediately off streets)

Oops, that'd be driver's seat on the LEFT. Won't make a very good trucker if I can't tell my rights from my lefts, right? :p

Managing the blind-side back. (Consignees immediately off streets)

Hey TT, i've just been trying to imagine the various situations i'll have to face once I get on the road, and one thing just keeps coming back to bother me.

So i'm aware that blind-side backing is discouraged where possible, but how do you veterans generally deal with situations in cities or urban/suburban areas where your shipper or receiver requires a dock/back right off the main road? Our driver's seat is on the right, and we drive along the road on the right to our destinations, so I realized that any time you're in that situation where you arrive at your consignee and they're basically on the street, you're immediately (to my mind) put into a difficult decision. So correct me if i'm wrong, but won't you always either have to:

a) Stay on your side of the road and attempt a blind side into the dock or; b) find a way to turn around to make it a driver-side back, but then be forced into driving into and setting-up directly into oncoming traffic to start the maneuver?

Am I thinking about these situations right? If not, what have I missed? How do y'all deal with setting-up backs right off a main road? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

How rumors get around

I didn't pass on the word, I was humorously commenting on the fact that you're helping to spread the rumour by passing-on that trucker's story with your posting. If YOU want to pass on the word "meta-" in my post, as well as the exclamation marks which indicate playfulness, that, likewise, is up to you. You didn't even answer the question I asked.

54 years of safe, accident-free driving!

Good point miracleofmagic. There must be a little luck that goes along with safety records like that nowadays eh?

Flatbed Variety

I for one have never hauled onions but from what I have seen is that the use of "V" boards on the top edges is almost a must to me, but the tarp only goes over the top and 6-12" down the sides and the straps over that. It needs to be open to get air so the onions don't start to rot under the tarp because of the heat.

Thanks for the reply Pat M. Is a "V" board like an oversized, long edge-protector? And kudos on hauling those beams, that's pretty bad-ass.

How rumors get around

Very meta-, Errol! You made yourself a link in the rumour chain! Why did you feel you had to get out of there, if I may ask?

Trucking movies

It's strange. Considering A) the millions of truck drivers there are, and were; B) the indispensable role trucking has in the economy of modern societies; C) the adventurous, fascinating lifestyle the profession demands and; D) the iconic role big rigs have in the American consciousness (some of the biggest, baddest motors in a motor-obsessed culture)...

I find it amazing that there really haven't been a lot of movies *about* trucking in cinema. A good number of movies with incidental trucks and truck drivers, but so few where the trucking is really what the movie is about. Weird.

But good mentions all! Over the Top and The Wages of Fear are my favourites that I know. I haven't seen Every Which Way.... or Smokey and the Bandit since I was a little kid, I should watch those again!

I got my truck today.

She's a beaut Daniel C.! You two take care of each other out there. ; )

I test today...

Good luck Kat! Sure you'll do fine.

And great quote Mario V.! I love Over the Top! That movie's kept trucking in the back of my head ever since I was a boy!

Help me wrap my head around the decision to become a truck driver

That's a good point Errol. The price just doesn't seem to match up to the service with a lot of these packages from what i've been reading. Best load-up the laptop with books, movies and shows before hitting the road. ; )

I wonder if a cheaper data plan would stand-up to a lot of google earth and maps use for trip planning though. Any thoughts?

High Road vs the Book

High road says perception is 3/4 seconds. At 55 mph, you travel 60 feet in 3/4 second. The Wyoming book says 1 3/4 seconds.

Whaaaaat? Is the average Wyoming driver ASLEEP? Almost two seconds is RIDICULOUS!

Sorry, that doesn't help.

Concealed weapons

I think most company trucks have locks on their doors, at least that's what i'm hoping. Behind those doors you can choose a tool of the trade to keep you company; a tire iron, crowbar or big wrench should do the trick. If you're hell-bent on wandering outside in a dark parking area in a bad part of town, carry one of those long heavy-duty flashlights like you're an FBI agent ready to find clues and crack skulls.

Like everyone says, you've got more chance of being fired than being assailed in a life or death situation, but if you'd "rather be judged by twelve than carried by six", that's ultimately a decision you've got to make for yourself.