Comments By Eddie F.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete3.jpg avatar
  • Eddie F.
  • Comments:

Staying awake while driving

Thanks very much, Guy!

Staying awake while driving

Thank you, Driver and J-Fresh, for your helpful suggestions. Much appreciated!!

Staying awake while driving

Thank you Mikki, Rolling Thunder, and Chris M. for all the helpful replies! Very much appreciated! The concept of doing things to keep the mind occupied sounds like a winner.

Staying awake while driving

Hi folks,

This question has probably already been addressed, so my apologies for being late to the party.

Please tell me: what are good ways to keep awake while driving? I have heard the same concept expressed in different ways: zoning out, spacing out, highway hypnosis, etc. I remember reading something on mindfulness while driving: the article made suggestions such as tying a piece of string to the steering wheel - things like that to bring the driver's focus back to the hear and now. (I would say that this issue is different than being tired - which is easily fixed by pulling over and taking a nap).

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Nationwide trucking shutdown Oct 11-13 ??

Folks, I wanted to provide an update on this situation. It seems that the truck driver strike (or roll on Washington) seems to have gained some traction, and has some folks worried. It seems that Facebook tried to take down their page.

Note there is an internet radio show on the subject, and assorted other links, on that page.

I agree with those who believe that a driver "slowdown" might be the more possible outcome. But I thought I should present this article for what it's worth.

Nationwide trucking shutdown Oct 11-13 ??

Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this question. Just because bikers did it last week, doesn't mean truckers can do it next month.

Nationwide trucking shutdown Oct 11-13 ??

Folks, I just ran across this article, which discusses a nationwide trucking shutdown from October 11-13.

Here is another article on the subject:

Here is a Facebook page on the subject:

For those out on the road at this time, a serious subject to consider.

Mental illness & driving

The prescription medication you're on has to be reported. They'll have to know what you're taking and why because it will show up in a drug test. You also have to make sure that the prescription you're taking is approved for commercial driving. You can ask any doctor that gives DOT physicals if it would be approved or not. If not, you'll have to have your doctor switch you to something else.

I'm just going to throw this out there - there's a lot of pressure in trucking and you'll often find yourself holding up a lot of angry people while you're trying to maneuver that rig. You have to be able to ignore it. You'll be backing in off of busy streets, pulling wide around corners in busy intersections, and doing all kinds of other stuff that's going to bring a lot of attention to you.

I have a book that's free to read online called Becoming A Truck Driver: The Raw Truth About Truck Driving and it has a lot of stories in there from my time on the road. Some of them are about times when I had no choice but to have part of an interstate closed down to get out of a predicament or the police had to close down all of the streets around City Hall in downtown Phoenix so I could get backed in - things like that. Have a look through my book and you'll see how much pressure there can be in trucking. I just wanted you to be aware of that.

Thank you, Brett. I have my own share of anxiety issues, as well. The bad side, as you pointed out, is that many drivers will get ticked off at the trucker. Plus, the anxiety of making difficult backing maneuvers, and the like. The good side of trucking is that the driver is by himself - not like being in an office where he may experience dozens of uncomfortable or unpleasant face-to-face interactions every day. That's what got me out of the office and into trucking.

Truckers Tablet Computer with GPS

Guy is correct, a standalone GPS device is more reliable, and less squirelly than an app-based Android device (especially the ones that eat data!).

I saw this page on dieselboss.com, which compares three dedicated truck GPS devices:

Truckers Tablet Computer with GPS

Thanks, Joe S. You're right, 512 MB of RAM is skimpy.

This might be a different solution: Here's a trucking GPS app for Android tablets:

It says that the cost is from 7 cents per day, which isn't bad. The average review was 4.2 out of 5, which is pretty good. This app can be installed on one of the better tablets (like the Google Nexus 7), which should deliver good results.

Truckers Tablet Computer with GPS

Hi Folks,

I just stumbled on this handy gadget. It looks like it's only been out on the market for a few months. As you can see, it offers a truck driver's GPS housed in an Android tablet computer. Based on what I've seen, it goes for $269.00. If it works well, that's a good price for what it does. Of course, an Android tablet is no substitute for a laptop computer, but you can't beat the tablet form factor for reading ebooks in bed. (Of course, you can also browse the internet, watch videos, and listen to music/audio books as well).

If you have an Android smartphone, there is an app called ScreenShare, which must be installed on both your phone and the tablet. (It's on the Google Play store web site). With these apps running on both your phone and this (or any other) Android tablet, the tablet displays exactly what the phone displays, on the bigger tablet scareen.

Here's a suction cup mount for the unit that I saw:

The suction cup on this mount can attach to a weighted base, which I have seen for as little as $10.00

My thanks to Brett and everyone else for all the helpful articles!!!

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Thanks very much, Jersey Mike and Starcar.

There always will be cops who will look to bait or taunt a driver into losing his cool and saying something stupid. When I went through the California Highway patrol scale at Donner Summit, the technician who inspected the truck and my log commented, out of the blue, "I bet you guys would like to get home sooner than later". On the other hand, the Nevada Highway Patrol cop that stopped me was not only polite but even helpful. In the case with the CHP at Donner Summit, I think that the uniform cop at the desk basically told the technician to back off. Fortunately, no ticket in either case.

The Nevada cop did mention that they pay special attention to rental trucks on the road.

A former Contra Costa County (California) sheriff's deputy that I met made a point of telling me to be careful of the CHP - that they had a reputation of being head-busters.

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Guy,

Doing a little digging on the net, the number of miles exempted from logging seems to be 100, not 150 miles. If something has changed, where the exemption is now 150 miles, could you give me a citation for that? That would make a huge difference, as google maps seems to say that the **road** miles distance from Roseville, CA to Reno, NV is 115 miles (so air miles should be less). Thanks again for your help.

Why did you use the example Roseville, CA to Reno, NV? Do you live in Roseville?

Daniel B, yes, I live and work in Roseville. Actually, I just looked up the latitude and longitude coordinates for both Roseville, CA and Reno, NV on Google. I then went to the NOAA site that gives the distance between the two sets of coordinates, and found there was 83 nautical miles between the two cities. However, I'm sure they'd find a way to nail you for that, so it's best to just do your logbooks, and be done with it.

PS: Watch out for that CHP scale/inspection station at Donner Summit. The cop in the jumpsuit is a first-class butthead. On the other hand, the CHP scale/inspection station between Sac and Fairfield was very polite. When I got the right-arrow to pull over, a cop came out and apologized that the arrow was stuck from the previous truck.

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Guy, thanks for your reply, and your superb knowledge. I agree with Kevin, that you would make an excellent lawyer.

On the subject of the common law: I remember a non-CDL driver received a seat belt ticket, and used the common law argument in court, claiming that there was no injured party. The judge replied, exactly as you mentioned, that public safety concerns trumped his right to drive without wearing a seat belt.

Yes, you are correct that I was lucky to avoid the Out of Service imposition. Fortunately, a cooler-headed cop was in charge of the station, and must have said something to the "hot dog" that did the Level One inspection.

I also fear that someone who takes cops to court (sues them to get their bond revoked, or something similar) may soon find his CDL revoked under some pretense. He may spend more time in court (or jail) than behind the wheel.

Thanks again for your help.

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Guy,

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Guy,

Thanks very much for the explanation and clarification about logs, and being over 150 miles, etc.

I'm waiting to hear back from this other fellow about whether or not a CDL driver can apply the common law to defend against a ticket, etc. The common law is all about: if one doesn't damage anyone else or their property, then there is no harm and no foul. If and when he writes back, I'll post his answer here.

Thanks very much again, Guy..

Can CDL drivers claim personal sovereignty rights?

Hi all,

Perhaps some of you have heard of car drivers claiming "the common law right to travel", and signing tickets with "without prejudice, all common law rights reserved, no contract" above their signature on the ticket. CDL drivers are,of course, "driving in commerce", so I'm wondering whether or not they can do the sorts of things I mentioned.

I mention these things because I had to deal with a power-tripping jerk of a cop who wanted to nail me at the California Highway Patrol scale at Donner Summit (on I-80) for a logbook violation for not having 7 days of logs to show him, despite the fact that I only drove one previous day the past week, and it was well within the 100 air miles of the base. He also threatened to put the truck out of service for 10 hours - all because Penske Truck Rental didn't have a valid registration for the truck. (Fortunately, there was a cooler cop in charge. I wasn't written up for anything, only handed a notice for the expired license).

I already asked this other fellow I know of online, who is into the whole personality sovereignty situation, defending oneself in court, seeking remedies from tyrannical cops, etc. But I was wodnering if any of you had some thoughts on these situations.

Thanks very much.

Insurance for personal liability?

Old School, thanks again. Regarding the side-swipe accident with the car hauler: I got a written warning from my driver manager when I returned to the home terminal, but nothing more.

Insurance for personal liability?

Thanks very much, Old School !!

Insurance for personal liability?

What about insurance to cover for situations where the driver clearly is at fault? Example: as a student driver, I side-swiped a car hauler at a truck stop. My carrier (Swift) covered the damage to the car hauler (the ramp, with no car on it). However, my mentor mentioned that I was lucky that there wasn't a car on the car hauler where I collided with it - if that was the case, he said that I would have been personally liable for it. Does anyone know about liability (and insurance) for something like that?