Comments By Steven B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig4.jpg avatar
  • Steven B.
  • Comments:

Learners permit

Ken, go to the CDL Manuals page and find the one for your state, then study for the general knowledge test (you should be able to pick up a printed copy from the local department of licensing, as well). It should say in there what sections to study for the permit (I'm presuming its the same in each state).

Can Flatbed make or break a rookie?

I think he didn't make the connection...... Skateboard = Flatbed

Um, yeah (excuse me for mixing your metaphors)... I'm new.

Trucker Humor: Trucking Company Name Acronyms

Well, humor means blood, so there you go.

What Kind Of Truck Driver Are You?

Okay, and I will try to stay out of the no zone.

What Kind Of Truck Driver Are You?

Thanks, and no offense taken (I had a bit too much caffeine today—don't usually drink the dew). The comment there was based on my previous two (but the point was that I am a safety conscious truck driver, based on past experience as much as recent training). I was kind of relating informally to some discussions here and there, rather than asking for help to the extent that I may have seemed cryptic, and was being somewhat dialectical as far as my reasoning went on the job scene. I am taking it one prospect at a time, and appreciate your consultations here too.

Need help

I mean, room for error is generally a good thing, but when backing it can work against you (and allow more time for people or whatever to get in your way).

Need help

People find their own ways (the manual gives specs on course set up too). Most students I met liked to do a really long gradual turn, but I figured that would give me more room for error, so I minimized that aspect.

Need help

The others are based more on mirror monitoring more than marking.

Need help

As far as a "marking" or estimating where to start maneuvering into the box, it depends on the length of your trailer, mostly. A good uniform guide (if the lot has them) are parking space markings (usually 12 feet wide). Maybe two or three spaces out from a 90 for instance (being able to see the rear tire perpendicular to the lines).

Pre-trip inspections

Well, people have different learning styles (so do what you like). I was given a multi-page handout in paragraph form, but decided to transcribe the manual's outline and eliminate all superfluous words. Understanding the concepts is one thing, but the specific "nuts and bolts" verbiage they wanted was so tedious that I put it into an index form for myself to point and spit out. Personally I don't have to say it to myself to do a complete inspection (but that's what they want to hear).

Pre-trip inspections

Oh yeah, here it is: State CDL Manuals

I know it's an obvious thing to bring up, it just sounded odd that you were going out of your way to record an oral talk through, when it's all outlined in the book.

Pre-trip inspections

By the way, are you reading your state CDL manual, or whichever one you are testing in? Ohio refers to this as a "cdl testing model", and that would be the most specific information (especially for pre-trip wording): http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7605.pdf

Mine seems to be the only one called DOL (based on the department name here). Somehow people don't seem to be aware of this guide (or mention it here). Perhaps the site owner could include a link to each state's official cdl guide, if not posted already (just a suggestion, as that's what they test on, it should be no secret). The information here is great too, although tests are specific to each state manual I suppose (mine were).

Sam's Truck Driving Jouney

Or CDL manual, as they call it (seems to vary state to state as for specific wording):

CDL Manuals

Pre-trip inspections

Remember also that there are some points emphasized as an automatic fail if you miss a step. These are outlined in the DOL manual (so it is a pass/fail in some respects).

Pre-trip inspections

I just took a picture of everything and rehearsed it at home, while concentrating on the driving as much as possible at school.

Sam's Truck Driving Jouney

If you are studying to get the permit, in particular, that's just the general knowledge test (and it's also probably best to complete the DOL guide and other tests upfront). Four weeks would be well spent on the skills practice alone.

Sam's Truck Driving Jouney

Typically the pre-trip inspection involves the most memorization (and is not a multiple choice test), so that's maybe a third of your study time.

Can Flatbed make or break a rookie?

Not that my tanker endorsement means much more than a skateboard license at this point.

Truck Drivers Ages

When I grow up I'd like to be a truck driver (age adjusted for experience level).

Can Flatbed make or break a rookie?

What do you mean by "but at least it has brakes!"?

The tanker as opposed to the skateboard (wheels... mine didn't have brakes, or tread to run over rocks without stopping).