Comments By Dan S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0296834001550518737-61543.jpg avatar
  • Dan S.
  • Comments:

Posted:  10 months ago

Forum lurker

For what it's worth? I left my manufacturing job, and the manufacturing field after twenty years.

I've had a few misfires here and there, getting started in the trucking industry. All of my own doing, but the good folks here at TNT, got me turned around and headed in the right direction.

My ONLY regret, REALLY? Is I wished I had done it 20 years ago!

Listen to the Folks here, and you'll be in good hands.

Best of luck!

As a side note, I've literally just gotten off the phone with my former assistant. Things have gotten so bad at the plant I left?

They're having to bring office workers, staff, payroll, HR, managers and assistant managers out of the front office to work on the plant floor.

She told my old boss an Assistant Manager, "You can't be on your cell phone unless your own break!"

She was serious.

Love it!

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I'm bored and homeless in Pittston PA

LOL! Read your other response to "When did you get your license?"

And then.your last post!

Too Funny

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

I'm bored and homeless in Pittston PA

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Happy to hear your getting BETTER.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Truck Stop.Parking!!!

Like Steve told Hellen?

"There's just no real way of telling?"

But sitting at a small Pilot in Salinias, California.?

I JUST KNEW, IT was going to break out any minute from either direction!

Little did this rookie know?

Oh sure, a couple of muggy looks, a few flaying of the hands and arms, some rolling eyes, a LOT of harsh languages,.........

But?

Actually? A level of professionalism that wouldn't be recognized nor appreciated by someone outside the profession?

I learn something NEW everyday!

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Dan S.... how you doing?

Thanks Rainy,.

Means a lot to me, it really does.

To be truthful? I feel like the Southbound end of a Northbound mule.

EVERYTHING, y'all try to cautioned new drivers against, to include the specialized attention I personally received?

True every word. I'm back on the truck as of last Friday. In in California headed for NYS.

He's talking about us teaming through the rest of year? It's a win win for both of us in sone ways? But I've got my doubts about our personalities going that long.

I'm SOoooooo GLAD I LISTENED TO YOU GUYS!

Moving forward in that direction is moving backwards

Brett, Old School, Rainy and too many others to list!!

Thanks again

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Prime training/company pay vs Veriha training/company pay?

Luke, if it seems like you arent getting the right answers... its because no one can tell you the exact numbers you want. Every single persons training is different, even at the same company. Splitters training was from Mar 1 to May 28. so 3.mos. and about a month before he had started getting paid. My training was from Sept 21st to Feb 14th. so almost 5.months. that is a big difference but had to do with me failing the test, the trainer taking 3 weeks off for the holidays and truck repairs.

So i got.to Prime 9/21 and got.my first pay 11/5. Another of our members did one week orientation, one week out over the road and then passed his CDL.on the first try. So his first check was like his 3rd week out.

This is why we keep.saying to be prepared. we cant answer exact numbers.

Also, keep in mind anything on your part will delay it. Struggling with backing, having an accident, even being sick....it could delay you.

good.luck

Truer words I can't recollect ever being spoken. Not ONLY by Rainy, but the other experienced drivers here. Heed their words.

I to fell to the many roller coaster of emotions, doubts, questions over analysis that can come with being a new driver? It took me a couple of days for me to get my head together, and thinking right, and back on the right track, it's an on going process.

As a new driver or soon to be driver there's A LOT OF traps one can find yourself in?

There are such things as OVER THINKING and OVER ANALYSIS to the point of paralysis.

Load up too much on NEGATIVE reviews, information, etc? Guess what merry little road that leads you down.

Don't go down that road!

As Rainy and others have pointed out, there are simply too many individual variables to predict anyone's particular outcome?

In the end? In my own particular situation I was my own worse enemy, and the single major contributor to my problems.

In other words, I was my own single worse enemy.

You've received some OUTSTANDING information, advice and guidance here.

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

My previous post? Was about THINGS changing / perspectives changing.

WHEN I started out?

My objective was to get my CDL'S?

Now?

My objective is to become a

#1 Safe Truck Driver

#2 Non Hazardous Truck Driver

#3 A PRODUCTIVE Truck Driver

#4 A PRODUCTIVE Asset

#5 Part of the Solution NOT part of the problem

#6 Part of the Answer not part of the Question

My ISSUE isn't so much WITH pay, although that's a variable of the equation?

My ISSUE is I'm NOT properly trained nor willing to put the General Public at risk because of such.

I'd even WOULD voluntarily go extra 10k miles or even more to feel sure and confidant of such.

No, I'm not happy about going x amount of weeks with NPD (No pay due)

That's on me, my mistake, ignorance misunderstanding, whatever?

My greater concern is I'm feeling a lot like a Kamskashi pilot being strapped into a Mitsubishi Zero and being pointed in the general direction of Okinawa?

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Previous via a Marine Sergeant Major.

What seems easy?

Isn't so easy.

Those that do it, make it look easy. So easy it would seem anyone could or can do it.

So simple it's complex.

So complex, it's simple

A paradox.

Under appreciated

Under valued

The American Trucker

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

It can be difficult and hard when you find yourself confronted with Natives throwing spheres and shooting poisoned arrows and darts at you,.....

Up to your neck in quicksand, posiouness snakes, scorpions to remember that when YOU FIRST STARTED out?

Your OBJECTIVE was to just drain the swamp?

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Apologies for stealing the thread.

And detracting from its initial subject and topic

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Thank you for your comments. Henceforth I will heed to "The Less Said, is often the Best said." insofar as commenting further.

For all those who commented and contributed.

Prime new driver pay

Dan, do yourself a favor. Get off the forum, and go outside and do something. Sittiing on the forums and complaining is not helping your situation, it is just keeping it at the front of your mind and making it worse. You have done hurry up and wait for 20 years, this is nothing new

I'm going to do that very thing

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Thank you.

Prime new driver pay

Its all together two different things to pose as one thing and in truth be another.

The system that MAY have ONCE been in place even a year or more, that was once effective has morphed into one of,

Get em' in, process them, full them out, get em' permitted, get em licensed, get em' in a truck with trainers that's more interested in lining their pockets, or at least making their lease payments.

Has nothing to do with my ability to adapt, nor ability to train

Is my statement indicative of ant all trainers?

NO. I've a sampling population of

But there's no doubt in my mind that 95% of what I need to know to be successful as a trucker will be gleaned from OJT after I go solo AND from places such as TT and experienced drivers such as yourself and others of this esteemed body of knowledge and experience

Prime new driver pay

Thanks

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

How long have you had this terrible proclivity to over think and over analyze things that you don't understand?

Ah!

A paradoxical, rhetorical question!

I'll pass, Thank you.

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

To add, most jobs expect and require one to do a given and certain amount of thinking and learning on your own.

Self initiative and being decisive are unlisted on most job descriptions because they're "givens" as is exercising good judgement.

One can exercise Good Initive, while also executing Bad judgement.

The entire trucking industry is caught up in a situation similar to the Marines in 1968.

Marine boot camp is the longest of all the four branches at 13 weeks. [Sidebar, there's heated discussion of adding an extra week to provide training of ethics, morality, integrity, a telling commentary as to how low American society/culture has fallen.]

In 1968, the need for trigger pullers was so great that boot camp was dropped from 13 to 6 weeks (Thus "Full Metal Jacket" boot camp) and the Secretary of Defense authorized the drafting of 100,000 Mental Category IV recruits (Illiterate, could not read nor write, do simple arithmetic)

I'm not saying the trucking industry has lowered it's standards, (Nor implying ANYTHING) I AM saying the demand for drivers is so high that the SYSTEM for providing those much in demand and needed drivers is strained to its maximum

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

The entire trucking industry is in a flux brought on by unprecedented demand and a booming economy.

Demand exceeds supply across the board.

Many people join an organization and are dumb founded by how screwed up it seems to be, only to later be in awe of how organized, well ran, and systematic it actually is.

Businesses and organizations take on a life of their own after awhile. As such, they either adapt to their ever changing environment or die, (Sears, K Mart, JC Penny's, malls, the retail industry as a whole)

This is what's going on with the trucking industry. Those at all levels must adapt to the changing tides or fall to the wayside.

That said, it can be difficult for a green horn to enter into a career, industry, business etc that itself is caught up in the throes of rapid change, increased demand and competition, and dwindling profit margins.

There are REASONS organizations do the things they do, and the way they do them.

There are REASONS Systems evolved the way they do?

There's not always time to explain, the nuts and bolts, rhyme and reason behind ESTABLISHED PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES. But ONLY the process and procedure themselves.

Prime IMHO actually rapidly adapting with many, many adaptations and innovations.

I've already, me, myself and I have overcome and climbed the many rungs of the ladder, I've many more to grab a hold of, and climb.

They're NOT all evenly spaced

Prime new driver pay

When I left Springfield a couple weeks ago,......

There was a shortage of trucks.

New lease operator's were waiting days and in some instances a week for a truck (Albiet by their own admission they were being particular)

Trainers with standard transmissions were having issues finding students.

There was an issue with females finding or matching up with trainers, (Again they may have been particular)

Some students weren't going out on PSD but were training on training on The Pad and in Springfield at night

It was my understanding there was some sort of bottleneck in the logistical support and supply system management was feverishly attempting to resolve.

Mainly that suppliers production system was ill prepared for the increase in demand by the surging transportation industry and booming economy.

There's not only an issue (Industry Wide, and not just any one particular carrier) not only a demand for tractor but also trailers, drivers, mechanics, clerical, administrative, managerial and other support personnel.

Prime new driver pay

"After you finish your training, and go in to upgrade, they'll more than likely give you a LW. You can request a condo, but if they don't have one available, and you're adamant about getting a condo, you'll have to pay for your own hotel while you wait."

So if you've an extra $1,000 or more you've a choice, otherwise,...........