Comments By Dan S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0296834001550518737-61543.jpg avatar
  • Dan S.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year ago

Prime CDL Training

As an afterthought I would like to add my own personal decision to stay on my Trainers truck was impacted by my being on Prime's Veterans "Fast Trac" program in which my contractual obligation to Prime is only 9 months vs 12 months.

I've already competed 3 of those 9 months. By the time I get off of the trainers truck on or about sometime in March, I will have all but competed my contractual obligation to Prime.

I plan on staying WITH Prime at this point in time? Its just that it so happened to synch with my decision.

Posted:  1 year ago

Prime CDL Training

Just the facts about staying on the truck pass TNT training

#1 You don't go back to Springfield to upgrade until AFTER you get off the truck. Sooooo, you'll HAVE to do that at the end when you DO get off the trainers truck.

#2 Your CPM's go up to I BELIEVE .17 cpm and / or a guaranteed weekly mimimum of $700 + $300 "delay bonus" for a total of $1,000 per week. Again I'm sure it's in so long as your available for dispatch. Which is pretty much going to be dependent upon your trainer.

#3 There WAS some mention of additional $$$$ for doing so through Winter. But I'm going to have to go back and verify that with my FM before I post it here. When I find out for sure and certain? I'll post it here. Meanwhile irs just hear say in so far as I'm concerned.

#4 The Additional $300 went onto my pay stub almost automatically as soon as i completed my 30,000 TNT miles. My FM just sent a QC message to verify I was still on the truck.

Advantages and Disadvantages:

Backing

Just SOMETHING we're all going to have to learn how to do on own on. To quote another driver, "I've been driving for 15 years, I expect to have it down pat by next fall.

If your just wanting ANOTHER driver out there with you? $$$$ wise you'd PROBALLY would be JUST as better off teaming with ANOTHER company driver in my honest opinion. Speak with your TM if interested. I BELIEVE the average is about $1300 a week teaming at Prime. There's handouts laying around the Millieum Building and bottom floor of the Plaza Building.

Just more day to day experiences that you may or may not yet been exposed to.

Winter Driving experience if your not accustomed to such

An opportunity to put back $$$ for things you'll want and need when you get your own truck such as a GPS, CV radio, etc. So you can pay cash vs financing?

Personally I'm taking it one day at a time. I can ALWAYS go back to Springfield and up grade any time i want. There's no obligatory commitment to my staying on the truck.

There Is supposed to be a "shortage " and wait for bring assigned a truck, although from what I'm hearing is irs not much of one. A week or there abouts. Your up grade will take three or four days minimum as I understand it?

Some other considerations?

Between now and just before Christmas is SUPPOSED to be very busy for the Reefer division.

After the first two weeks of December freight is "Supposed to" drop off.

There's a some discussion on the Prime FB pages about the bonus of $750 for working through the Holiday season. A lot of discussion as to whether it's $500 Or $750, as well as inclusive dates.

Many have said they've done it, but won't do it again, because they ended up going to shippers and receivers that were closed? You can check it out and be the judge. [Sidebar: You can find some good buys and even free stuff for your truck on these FB pages. Just today, a driver was giving away a free flat screen tv, as he upgraded his, another was giving away a mattress that he bought but wouldn't fit his bunk in his truck]

Hope this was of some help

Posted:  1 year ago

61 years young

61, 62 come April next year. Just finished up TNT training/30,000 miles yesterday. I'm going to team with my trainer through the Winter ~ maybe longer.

Went through a spell of doubt. Good Folks here calmed me down, and got me back on the right and righteous path.

I went with Prime. If your a Vet and provide them with a copy of your DD214 your contractual obligation is only on the Fast Track Program.

Rob Low (Owne of Prime) runs a first class operation. He's a righteous guy.

My ONLY regret is o didn't do it twenty years ago

Posted:  1 year ago

Signs, Signs, Everywhere A Sign

"Watch for Eagles on Roadway"

Although billboards and not road signs,

"BEST WEED AROUND" (Marijuana) up in Oregon

Forum lurker

For what it's worth? I left my manufacturing job, and the manufacturing field after twenty years.

I've had a few misfires here and there, getting started in the trucking industry. All of my own doing, but the good folks here at TNT, got me turned around and headed in the right direction.

My ONLY regret, REALLY? Is I wished I had done it 20 years ago!

Listen to the Folks here, and you'll be in good hands.

Best of luck!

As a side note, I've literally just gotten off the phone with my former assistant. Things have gotten so bad at the plant I left?

They're having to bring office workers, staff, payroll, HR, managers and assistant managers out of the front office to work on the plant floor.

She told my old boss an Assistant Manager, "You can't be on your cell phone unless your own break!"

She was serious.

Love it!

I'm bored and homeless in Pittston PA

LOL! Read your other response to "When did you get your license?"

And then.your last post!

Too Funny

I'm bored and homeless in Pittston PA

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Happy to hear your getting BETTER.

Truck Stop.Parking!!!

Like Steve told Hellen?

"There's just no real way of telling?"

But sitting at a small Pilot in Salinias, California.?

I JUST KNEW, IT was going to break out any minute from either direction!

Little did this rookie know?

Oh sure, a couple of muggy looks, a few flaying of the hands and arms, some rolling eyes, a LOT of harsh languages,.........

But?

Actually? A level of professionalism that wouldn't be recognized nor appreciated by someone outside the profession?

I learn something NEW everyday!

Dan S.... how you doing?

Thanks Rainy,.

Means a lot to me, it really does.

To be truthful? I feel like the Southbound end of a Northbound mule.

EVERYTHING, y'all try to cautioned new drivers against, to include the specialized attention I personally received?

True every word. I'm back on the truck as of last Friday. In in California headed for NYS.

He's talking about us teaming through the rest of year? It's a win win for both of us in sone ways? But I've got my doubts about our personalities going that long.

I'm SOoooooo GLAD I LISTENED TO YOU GUYS!

Moving forward in that direction is moving backwards

Brett, Old School, Rainy and too many others to list!!

Thanks again

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Prime training/company pay vs Veriha training/company pay?

Luke, if it seems like you arent getting the right answers... its because no one can tell you the exact numbers you want. Every single persons training is different, even at the same company. Splitters training was from Mar 1 to May 28. so 3.mos. and about a month before he had started getting paid. My training was from Sept 21st to Feb 14th. so almost 5.months. that is a big difference but had to do with me failing the test, the trainer taking 3 weeks off for the holidays and truck repairs.

So i got.to Prime 9/21 and got.my first pay 11/5. Another of our members did one week orientation, one week out over the road and then passed his CDL.on the first try. So his first check was like his 3rd week out.

This is why we keep.saying to be prepared. we cant answer exact numbers.

Also, keep in mind anything on your part will delay it. Struggling with backing, having an accident, even being sick....it could delay you.

good.luck

Truer words I can't recollect ever being spoken. Not ONLY by Rainy, but the other experienced drivers here. Heed their words.

I to fell to the many roller coaster of emotions, doubts, questions over analysis that can come with being a new driver? It took me a couple of days for me to get my head together, and thinking right, and back on the right track, it's an on going process.

As a new driver or soon to be driver there's A LOT OF traps one can find yourself in?

There are such things as OVER THINKING and OVER ANALYSIS to the point of paralysis.

Load up too much on NEGATIVE reviews, information, etc? Guess what merry little road that leads you down.

Don't go down that road!

As Rainy and others have pointed out, there are simply too many individual variables to predict anyone's particular outcome?

In the end? In my own particular situation I was my own worse enemy, and the single major contributor to my problems.

In other words, I was my own single worse enemy.

You've received some OUTSTANDING information, advice and guidance here.

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

My previous post? Was about THINGS changing / perspectives changing.

WHEN I started out?

My objective was to get my CDL'S?

Now?

My objective is to become a

#1 Safe Truck Driver

#2 Non Hazardous Truck Driver

#3 A PRODUCTIVE Truck Driver

#4 A PRODUCTIVE Asset

#5 Part of the Solution NOT part of the problem

#6 Part of the Answer not part of the Question

My ISSUE isn't so much WITH pay, although that's a variable of the equation?

My ISSUE is I'm NOT properly trained nor willing to put the General Public at risk because of such.

I'd even WOULD voluntarily go extra 10k miles or even more to feel sure and confidant of such.

No, I'm not happy about going x amount of weeks with NPD (No pay due)

That's on me, my mistake, ignorance misunderstanding, whatever?

My greater concern is I'm feeling a lot like a Kamskashi pilot being strapped into a Mitsubishi Zero and being pointed in the general direction of Okinawa?

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Previous via a Marine Sergeant Major.

What seems easy?

Isn't so easy.

Those that do it, make it look easy. So easy it would seem anyone could or can do it.

So simple it's complex.

So complex, it's simple

A paradox.

Under appreciated

Under valued

The American Trucker

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

It can be difficult and hard when you find yourself confronted with Natives throwing spheres and shooting poisoned arrows and darts at you,.....

Up to your neck in quicksand, posiouness snakes, scorpions to remember that when YOU FIRST STARTED out?

Your OBJECTIVE was to just drain the swamp?

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Apologies for stealing the thread.

And detracting from its initial subject and topic

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Thank you for your comments. Henceforth I will heed to "The Less Said, is often the Best said." insofar as commenting further.

For all those who commented and contributed.

Prime new driver pay

Dan, do yourself a favor. Get off the forum, and go outside and do something. Sittiing on the forums and complaining is not helping your situation, it is just keeping it at the front of your mind and making it worse. You have done hurry up and wait for 20 years, this is nothing new

I'm going to do that very thing

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

Thank you.

Prime new driver pay

Its all together two different things to pose as one thing and in truth be another.

The system that MAY have ONCE been in place even a year or more, that was once effective has morphed into one of,

Get em' in, process them, full them out, get em' permitted, get em licensed, get em' in a truck with trainers that's more interested in lining their pockets, or at least making their lease payments.

Has nothing to do with my ability to adapt, nor ability to train

Is my statement indicative of ant all trainers?

NO. I've a sampling population of

But there's no doubt in my mind that 95% of what I need to know to be successful as a trucker will be gleaned from OJT after I go solo AND from places such as TT and experienced drivers such as yourself and others of this esteemed body of knowledge and experience

Prime new driver pay

Thanks

Prime,Swift, and Maverick training

How long have you had this terrible proclivity to over think and over analyze things that you don't understand?

Ah!

A paradoxical, rhetorical question!

I'll pass, Thank you.