Comments By Lance B.

https://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af264/lance1579/14322414_10207084985149642_9040921348263384612_n_zps8njyhzo5.jpg avatar
  • Lance B.
  • Comments:

**Update on court and CDL school**

Hello to all. Well, went to court yesterday and ticket was dropped to unsafe driving. No points. No one was hurt, thankfully. I'll be going for my CDL permit this coming Monday. That High Road Training is extremely helpful. Maverick and CR England have both given me a call, dunno yet which I will choose. Whoever gives me the opportunity to get into trucking, I'm taking it. I must protect my licence better, and I will. My journey continues.

Be well out there.

Can I still go to CDL training school?

Morning to all....so I received a pre-hire letter from CRST yesterday. And I got into an accident, all in the same day. I drive a taxi during the day. Was doing the speed limit, was raining very hard out, car went left, hit another car. No one was hurt. Officer gave me a careless driving ticket. Court date in 2 weeks. Will plead to unsafe driving in court to avoid the 2 points on my license. There goes my spotless driving record. I will have to notify my recruiter once court is done with. Do you folks think I will still be eligible for schooling? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Lance

Need advice about written guarantee

Afternoon to all. Thanks for the comments. I'll be sure to stay off the grass when I get there. I didn't have any inclination of walking on the grass. Rick, good point. I'm coming to school with my A game, every single day. I'm there to learn. Bottom line. Quite a bit of money being invested in someone with 0 experience. I intend to take direction well and be squared away at all times.

Be well out there.

Need advice about written guarantee

Evening BQ. Yeah, I have been upfront about all of the information requested of me. I have been clean and sober almost 20 years now. Studying like a bandit, couple hours a day. Preparing...

Need advice about written guarantee

Well said G-Town. That is what it comes down to. I have chosen TMC tranport. From what I have been reading (impartial reading, none of that BS), they run a tight ship, are regimented, and squared away. My kind of folks. Looking forward to learning all about flatbed. Be well.

Need advice about written guarantee

Evening to all, from NJ anyhow. So I received two invitations to CDL training school. TMC transport. CRST transport. Here is where I need advice from you experienced folk. I asked the recruiters from both schools if they would email a guarantee of schooling with my felony record being known. I was informed that a letter of pre-hire is customary.

My concern is that I will get to Iowa and be in school, only to be told to go home because of a reconsideration or something came up? I have disclosed all, with proper paperwork as well in regards to my criminal history, MVC, employment history etc. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but I have to cover all my basis. What do you fine folks think about this?

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Morning to all. Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I'm on my way to school in June. I want to save a bit for provisions as well as residual costs before I go. I'll keep my progress updated as I go.

Be well out there.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Hey Brett. I decided to take the advice here and apply to all the CDL training schools here on the site. I have a 1st degree felony from 1997, so I figured I'll apply to them all and let the chips fall where they may, so to speak. Just to see what schools would even give me a chance. I was turned down by Roehl and Jim Palmer the very next day. TMC is willing to give me a shot, and I have weighed my options and I'll be going with them.

Also, I'd rather do flatbed to be honest. I enjoy working outside no matter the season or weather in general. Also, it's good exercise and breaks up driving all day a bit.

Be well.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

**UPDATE**

Hello to all. I've been studying at least 4 hours a day for my CDL permit. Running a taxi 4 days, 12 hours per day to keep the bills up to snuff. They tip nicely in NJ. Anyhow, I received a call from CRST recruiter and all my paperwork has been approved. (DMV, work history, criminal background, they are fully aware of my past felony as well.) Definitely some good news. Also, not an hour off the phone with CRST, and TMC transport also said my paperwork has been approved. I'm leaning towards TMC for CDL training. What do you folks think?

Be well.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Evening to all. I appreciate the info. I'm going to apply to CRST in the morning time. Be well out there.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Hello to all....update...

So I've been on the phone for the last few days while continuing to study for my CDL permit. Here is the latest:

Roehl-After application, NO. Jim Palmer/Wiltrans-After application, NO. TMC-Still waiting response from recruiter, case by case because of felony. Swift-Not taking anyone for schooling from NJ at the present time. Celadon-Not taking anyone for schooling from NJ at the present time. Prime-After application, NO, FELONY time clock starts 10 years from release date. (I was released in 2009, conviction date was 1997) Knight-on hold for 35 minutes, will follow-up Monday.

Well, only a few companies so far, I have a long way to go. I also called Carolina Cargo, with a CDL-A in hand they would consider me, but would have to relocate to South Carolina. I inquired into NJ WOIA program, 4 different types of grants to pay for CDL schooling, and so my search continues.

I remain grounded and hopeful for a good result. Be safe out their folks.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Hi Rainy....(as to not be a possible candidate for your dungeon I will choose my following words carefully) rofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gif

Dam fine point my dear. I am looking at company sponsored schools for 2 reasons. Like you said the cost of private school is just not feasible for me at this point financially. Also, the risk of waiting to be hired, with my conviction (robbery) that could and probably will take me some time. A company sponsored school will train me, put me out OTR with a trainer, and hire me on for xyz amount of time until loan is paid off. I'm okay with that scenario.

Also, I will need in writing from that particular school that the are in fact willing to give me a chance with my conviction. Without that in writing, its not ironclad. I have read and researched this extensively and talked to many other truckers about students being cleared with a conviction, get to school and then are turned away because so and so popped up at the last minute. From the student not being honest on app, to something else coming up at school through "a more in-depth background check" etc...Its a mountain to climb for me with this conviction, I am well aware of this. I will have all my ducks in a row. I know I can do this, and I will. Just takes some time, perseverance, and a good presentation on my part.

Be well.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Hey Old School. Your posts on here have been insightful, thanks. And I'll take a look at them.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Good evening to all. So today went well as far as studying for my CDL permit goes. High Road Training has been extremely helpful. I received a call from Jim Palmer and was turned down because of my felony conviction. Its early on yet, so I did expect this. My search continues.

Rainy...how are ya my dear. I was forewarned of your impending presence. lol Good to hear from you. I appreciate the feedback as well. -39, come on, that is doable. I've been in colder grey prison cells years ago. I'm not scared. I have an application out to Prime as I write this, we shall see the result. I would like to get with a western regional outfit eventually. Now, I'm just keeping my eye on the prize. Obtaining my CDL permit, then CDL-A, then a company that will take a shot on me. I'm committed to running hard, being safe, and taking direction. Staying away from lot lizards and terminal rats.

And yeah, Jersey women are a very rare breed indeed. Those pine barrens are long and dark. Be well.

Turned Down By Roehl CDL school

Thank you for the insight and information. I do appreciate it.

Turned Down By Roehl CDL school

Good afternoon to all. Finally received the news from Roehl regarding CDL school. Denied. Send me an email about 15 minutes ago. This gives me even more determination to find a school that will give me a chance. My felony conviction was 20 years ago. But again its completely advertised as a case by case basis. I knew this going in. My search continues. And onward I go. Be well out their folks.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Just reading this. Have been studying for my CLP all day. (Coffee is my best friend) Anyhow, thanks for all the useful info for those that commented. I appreciate it. G-Town, I go to the fright factory on south swanson every Halloween. Cool spot. Dam good cheese steaks to! Why the east coast aversion? This forum page isn't long enough for my reply. So I will condense it some. Born and raised on the Jersey shore my whole life, I live in central Jersey these days. NJ has way to many maniac drivers out here. (4 wheelers as per my only experience) Also, no where for a truck to park as per my readings on this site and from about a dozen or so Northeast truckers that I have spoken to in the last few weeks. NYC is a S**tshow at best. Granted I have 0 experience in the trucking world, I live 35 minutes from NYC and worked for a limo company working in the city for quite awhile. No thanks. I am looking to go west of the Mississippi. I've also applied to Jim Palmer, and I await their response.

Patrick C. you gave me a good laugh there bud. Watch out for those Jersey women. They do not play games. Mighty feisty they are. Looking forward to any advice she may swing my way. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

Steve L thanks partner. Its been a long road, but I remain persistent and ready as always. Roehl turned me down because of my felony. Easy come, easy go. Their loss as I see it. I have an active application out to Jim Palmer, so lets see how that goes.

Need some advice on finding a job with a felony

Hello to all from central Jersey. I'm in need of some advise. I have been reading all of the threads on this site, well as much as I can, for almost 2 weeks now. Brett Aquila, your book was outstanding. I read it in one sitting. Thank you for all of your insight into the trucking world. I was convicted of robbery in 1997 (no one was hurt, thank god) and was sentenced to 11 years and 2 months in prison. I was released in 2009. I have been home for 8 years now, with almost 19 years clean and sober. Not so much as a traffic ticket. I have held steady employment for the most part. Dead end job to dead end job. These days I'm driving a taxi. I say to myself daily, there has to be a better way. I'm a father of a 3 year old little boy, and really I want better for him and myself.

My license is 100% clean, no points or accidents at all. I've been studying for my CDL permit for about 2 weeks now. High Road Training as well. Thanks again Brett. I do have an open application to Roehl and will speak with a recruiter over there again tomorrow morning. I have always wanted to drive a truck ever since I was a kid. I have read up on the ups and downs, and the temperament it takes to be over the road. I believe I have the qualities to do this and succeed.

Here is where I need advice, I have to go to CDL training at a school because of monetary concerns with no money up front. Thing is that I want to stay off the east coast altogether and go over the road out west. Is this possible? From many hours of reading I figure Roehl to be a good fit as far as that is concerned. Thoughts?

Also, I have considered Jim Palmer but they are really strict on the felonies case by case and time elapsed, but still strict. Think I got a shot?

My journey has just begun. But I will keep pushing along until I get my permit, then school. Any and all advice for a noob is always appreciated.

Thanks and be well.