Comments By Forrest B.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0429426001521330920-71387.jpg avatar
  • Forrest B.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Finally!! Cleared by 2 different doctors to drive

Actually the doctors.

They’re local Orthopedic Surgeons here in My hometown. I actually went in thinking they would say no as well but surprised me.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Finally!! Cleared by 2 different doctors to drive

Thank you and I will continue to post as I move along in the process.

I haven’t made a decision on which company yet.

Schneider gave me a conditional job offer running a Southeast Regional last week pending approval with the FMCSA.

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Finally!! Cleared by 2 different doctors to drive

Fantastic! I'm doing a happy dance! Who did you end up talking with, if you don't mind me being nosy?dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

Are you meaning which company am I going with?

Posted:  1 year, 10 months ago

Finally!! Cleared by 2 different doctors to drive

Finally made it over the first speed bump in my quest to drive again.

Two doctors and three days of physical therapy and they gave me the all clear. I’m sending my packet to the FMCSA tomorrow for approval.

I’m so excited. Can’t wait for this dream to come true.

good-luck-2.gifgood-luck-2.gif

Medical card and skill performance evaluation certificate

Three sources I think you should check with concerning your medical situation (in order): 1. Dr. John McElligott in Knoxville. A doctor that lives to help truckers, not some quack. 2. OOIDA 3. The FMCSA.

The representative for FMCSA in Georgia is not helpful at all. I’ve called her several times with nothing to show for it. She has a very bad attitude. I will check into that doctor In Knoxville. Thank you.

Medical card and skill performance evaluation certificate

It is very hard to find a doctor to sign off on this SPE packet. I’ve spoken to every orthopedic surgeon in Columbus and a few in Atlanta with no luck.

Schneider’s medical dept told me I have to find one on my own. They can’t help till after I have it completed.

My accident from 2008

Thank you both. 2008-09 was a rough year for me to say the least. Trucking has always been in my blood and a dream of mine. I always wonder how life would’ve been if I never left CFI. But life goes on and everything after my accident actually turned out better than I thought it would. I’m just happy I’m finally strong enough mentally and physically to want a try at it again.

My accident from 2008

Holy crap! Its amazing you were able to survive that. That in itself is remarkable, but for you then to turn around and want to make a career out of driving something that was involved in changing your life is even more remarkable. I think it's safe to say we're all pulling for you and look forward to following your journey.

Thank you Rob! My family and friends go both ways about my decision. Some are all for it and some are against it. That’s understandable. They say I have a death wish by trucking 😂😂.

I went into the hospital that day at 320 lbs and went home at 170 lbs. The doctors say being so heavy is what probably saved my life.

My accident from 2008

Top photo was the truck I was driving that day. I don’t remember the accident at all. This happened on January 8 2008 in Locust Grove Georgia. I was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital. February 10 I came out of a coma and was transferred to The Shepherd Center. My leg was amputated the end of February and I began rehabilitation for my brain injury, speech therapy, and other fine motor skills. I was able to go home around April 20th and continued physical therapy at home.

My accident from 2008

0591968001521331480.jpg0029232001521331504.jpg

New trucking career not looking good for me

0126455001521331088.jpg0385289001521331213.jpg

New trucking career not looking good for me

Hey Forrest, I saw your name on the thread and immediately remembered you were the one asking about all auto-transmission truck fleets a while back. I'm really impressed that you're being so persistent with this process and determined to get through it. I don't have any advice for this process since I've never had to go through it but I completely sympathize with the whole federal regulatory process BS you're having to navigate. I have Type 1 diabetes and am not permitted to drive commercial vehicles in interstate commerce without a federal exemption, so I had to go through a similar process to get my medical certificate before I could start driving for anyone. It sounds like you have a few extra steps to go through since you have to take an extra driving test, but I also had to wait that mandatory six months. I actually forgot about the whole thing a few months after sending in my paperwork since I didn't hear anything back. Then one day the exemption just showed up in the mail with even more rules to follow.

Seriously, kudos for your determination and good luck with the process. The federal government loves to make these processes ridiculously complicated but once you determine the steps you need to take and as you systematically complete them, the process will seem a lot easier.

Yes it will definitely take some time. I’m patient and however long it takes I will drive a truck again. I’ve been through so much in my life already. This is just another obstacle to go through. I’m used to that. If it’s easy it won’t be fun 😉

New trucking career not looking good for me

Here's a link to an An Older Conversation where Robert B lays out some helpful information concerning this subject. Maybe it will prove helpful for you Forrest.

Robert knows more about this than any of us. He's been there, done that, and got the T-shirt. One thing I've noticed from his remarks is that this whole process is slow, and must be relentlessly pursued by the driver. Also, it seems you will need to understand the process, as it is most likely you will be instructing everyone from the initial physician to the company that hires you on how and what they need to do to get you back in the driver's seat.

Recruiters are not going to be blowing up hour phone. None of them even know where to start with you. Tenacity and persistence will need to be your constant companions. Remember, you will need to be able to explain the process if you want to get it accomplished. You will be teaching them how this is done. Therefore you need to have some mastery of how this whole process works.

I’ve read a little bit of it. I’m going to read into it more tonight.

New trucking career not looking good for me

Its not just any DOT officer. You'll be tested first by an SPE certified examiner, which you have to make an appointment with and bring a truck or rent theirs. You'll do the entire test, pre trip, skills and a 2 part driving portion split up by a short break. That examiner signs off and faxes in his part, then FMCSA releases your SPE certificate and you'll go take your actual driving test. It makes absolutely no sense that you have to take your driving test to determine if you can take your driving test lol.

This is where I get confused... I haven’t drove a truck in 8 years. I know I’ll need some training or a refresher. So how do I do all that with a examiner without being able to practice first? confused.gif

New trucking career not looking good for me

Brett, if you need a detailed outline on how the SPE certificate process works, just let me know and I'll gladly put together a detailed listing and get it to you. One of the issues folks run into as well is the fact that it needs to be started before a person arrives at their new company. Most places aren't going to wait 6-8 weeks before a driver can start and being a government agency, they don't work fast lol.

That is what boggles my mind. The FMCSA said that last week. I really don’t understand the process and why they do it that way.

Get a position with a company have the DOT officer road test you then wait 6 months. WTH!!!

New trucking career not looking good for me

If schneider is willing to hire you then you may want to go that route and get some over the road experience and then move on from there and that may help. Keep doing it until you have exhausted all options before you give up. Good luck

Definitely not giving up. Schneider is at the top of my list right now to start my career again.

New trucking career not looking good for me

*clearing throat* have you seen the typical trucker? It's NEVER a pretty sight.

rofl-2.gifrofl-1.gif

rofl-3.gif yes I have!!

New trucking career not looking good for me

You may want to ask Schneider 1) Do they have any current drivers with a similar situation; 2) If they do, can they put them in contact with you; 3) Do they have a doctor or specialist they can recommend for you to contact? Your persistence is an inspiration!

Thank you PackRat. I am determined to drive a big truck again. I know I can do it. I will ask them that question on Monday.

New trucking career not looking good for me

A few of them even say I’m crazy for thinking about a trucking career again.

Do you think you're crazy? I mean, you already have experience. You must know if you can do this or not. If you can, then there has to be a way to demonstrate to others that you can.

Have you tried contacting any of the major carriers directly to see if they're interested in getting involved? They all have "their own doctors" they use for physicals. Is it possible one of the major carriers might decide to work with you?

It says in your bio, "involved in an head on collision with an 18 wheeler in 2008" - it would make one hell of an amazing story if you were to make a comeback from that to drive again.

I wouldn't mind finding out a little more about you and your circumstances.

Are you able to get in and out of the truck easily enough?

What about climbing up into the back of the trailer and sweeping out a trailer at a customer?

Do you have a prosthetic or are you relying on crutches?

There's more I'm interested in finding out, but those are an example of some of the questions I have.

If you're not comfortable talking about it publicly then email me at brett@truckingtruth.com.

The bottom line is pretty simple. If you're capable of doing this safely and proficiently then you should be given that opportunity. The demand for drivers is very high. It might just be a matter of getting the word out there in front of as many people as possible hoping the right one sees it and helps you get a shot.

Getting in and out of the truck is fairly easy for me. I ride with my brother often in his truck. His truck is an International. Haven’t tried any other truck yet. I’m sure the steps are about the same.

I do have a prosthetic and can walk but only for about 30 minutes at a time. Climbing into the back of a trailer isn’t easy or pretty but I can do it. I’m not sure exactly how truck companies or DOT want me to do it or is their a certain way that doesn’t look so dangerous 😂😂 I need to ask that. I walk or hop around on crutches more than my prosthesis.

Schneider’s head of safety says if I can climb in and out of the cab and trailer safely then they will for sure hire me. I met with him in Atlanta a few months ago.

New trucking career not looking good for me

No I have not but that is a good idea. I’m going to make calls to a few carriers and see what I can find out about that.