Comments By Woody

https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Woody_968/HPIM0129.jpg avatar
  • Woody
  • Comments:

Failed my CDL road test. Stalled! :(

Congratulations dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Considering a career as a trucker... Any advice?

Yeah, I've spoken to a friend or two and they told me it's not that hard to be a big guy and still be healthy as long as you know what to do... Any tips? I'd assume keeping relaxed is top priority here. :P

You may have misread what I meant. I said I had good blood pressure but I never said I was healthy by any means. As far as my blood pressure goes Im just lucky. True I am very laid back and do not normally get to excited.

But I have no delusions about the fact that I am not healthy. I eat crap the majority of the time and I cant be healthy doing that. Just to clarify my size I am 6 ' and 240 lbs. Not huge but need to take 40 to 60 lbs off. I am borderline diabetic so in this industry I must get it under control. I have struggled with weight most of my life on and off. Probably 10 years ago I lost 60 lbs, was down to 170. Felt great but I can honestly say I still was not healthy. I ate fast food every day but switched to diet coke and stopped eating french fries. It was better, but not what I need to be doing. It actually was easy. I read a book called 7 secrets of skinny people and it worked like a charm. Basically taught myself to eat what ever I was craving but to stop when I was satisfied and not when I was stuffed. And to only eat when I was truly hungry not when I was bored. Never allowed myself to eat while driving. Concentrated on my food when I ate instead of shoving it in while I watched TV. I ate what I craved because if I craved a cheeseburger and ate a salad when I was done I still wanted the cheeseburger. Eventually I even started craving salads. Then like a bonehead I slowly got away from it and put all the weight back on.

I understand what you mean when you say you like your body the way it is and I am not trying to hound you about health or weight. But I will tell you this based on my own experience and the experience of everyone I have ever met that had weight troubles. I have never met anyone that lost weight and heard them say I felt better when I weighed more and now I wish I had not lost the weight. With the exception of someone with medical conditions of course.

Woody

3000 miles a week average?

I agree with Woody....there isn't enough hard working people in the world to get a group of drivers to average 3000 miles a week.

I think the only way it could be done is if the company only ran teams. And even then it might be a stretch rofl-3.gif

Woody

You know you need more coffee when...

Hey, if I can admit to something like forgetting to open a trailer, that let's pretty much everyone off the hook. smile.gif

I did that on my very first solo run. Had backed between two trailers with no room out front so I had to pull pretty much all the way out at an angle and do it all over again LOL.

Not opening my doors didn't make me feel too bad. Pretty much every driver on the road has done it at one time or another. Now forgetting what kind of trailer your pulling might be another story rofl-3.gif

Woody

I'm not a Real Truck Driver.......

Not having a job is about the worst feeling there is. Having a skill that's in demand and finding work is about the best feeling there is.

I couldn't agree more. I had been out of work for well over a year with NO decent interviews let alone job offers. Then went to school and had offers from every company I wanted and more. Talk about a boost to my self esteem!!!

WERNER ... here I come!

Thats great Brian. Sure is exciting once you know your all set to go isnt it?

Update us when you can, but like you said concentrate on school first. I had planned on doing a diary when I was in school but I ended up posting very little because I was either studying or wore out LOL.

Woody

Two break downs in as many days

Holy cow 6 those response times from Roadside are freakin incredible!!!

Woody

You know you need more coffee when...

As a fellow linehaul driver - that's rich!!! I'll be thinking of that one for a while Woody rofl-3.gif

I thought you might enjoy that LOL.

I was trying to figure out if I would own up to it on here or not. But once I saw the title of this thread I knew I had no choice.

Woody

Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall ?

Hello everyone !! 48 year old navy vet here.

While trying to figure out how to do the multiple quotes in my reply I forgot to say welcome to the forum and a sincere thank you for serving our country.

Woody

Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall ?

Hello everyone !! 48 year old navy vet here. I have been watching and reading the post here (trolling) for a few months now. Great site BTW. Been thinking about trucking for awhile now and I haven't seen any questions on training and the time of year. Would it be a good idea to start CDL training in the winter months or wait till spring? My thinking is that if I start in the winter I could get some good on the road training with the hazards of snow and ice with the trainer, instead of being left to find things out on my own after a spring or summer class. What do you guys think?

I started training in December last year and was with my trainer through all those ice storms. I wanted some time on bad roads while with the trainer but had I been able to start sooner in the year I probably would not have put it off just to hope for ice and snow.

I know Knight do not operate as a team during training so that would put me at ease if I go with them.

While Knight does not dispatch as a team do not be surprised if the trainer does not do some driving when the trainee runs out of hours to try and get in some extra loads. Of course it depends on the trainer but that was my experience. I like to call it a modified team experience. Just a little FYI.

Woody

You know you need more coffee when...

A couple of nights ago I was the majority of the way through my trip. I look in the mirror and see the side marker light for my rear trailer but can not see the marker light for my lead trailer. Losing the lights on the rear trailer happens from time to time if the power cord works lose but it makes no sense to lose the lead and not the rear. I think great I have a problem and start to look for an exit to pull over. After a couple miles it finally dawns on me that I am pulling a long box and not two trailers embarrassed.gif

Woody

3000 miles a week average?

I sure wouldnt consider it average for a new driver. It takes a while to get there. For one the companies tend to start new drivers a little soft to make sure they can handle the loads. For two your still learning a lot especially your first few months solo.

After that there are a ton of factors that can effect your miles. Thats a fairly high AVERAGE but attainable for a solid driver. To say its average for all their drivers I might question.

Officially One Year Of Safe Driving Down

Great job Thunder !!!!!!!!!

With all the hazards and idiots and situations we are put in that is an accomplishment to be proud of dancing-banana.gif

Beginning truck driver pay

Like Woody said, LTL is an exception. I would not be surprised if I hit 70-80k my rookie year.

Man thats good money but I dont wanna work that hard LOL.

although we bid today and I lost my cushy 320 mile run. There was still a bid available when it got to me but I've decided to try the extra board for a while.

Woody

Considering a career as a trucker... Any advice?

Solid advice as always from Brett.

I had done my research and knew how hard it would be, and still found it MUCH more difficult than I expected. Most people have no clue what it takes to be a driver. They take a vacation in their car and drive a few hours and think it is a taste of driving a truck. It's not even close. I am not saying your one of these people, just pointing out how some people think.

The over weight thing would actually be one of the easier hurdles to get over. And it currently is not a deal breaker although it is getting tougher and tougher in the industry. I myself am over weight and have great blood pressure. Drives my wife nuts. She is a nurse, knows how I live and eat, and every time I go to the doctor and they tell her my pressure she just looks at me and shakes her head.

The only time I have ever had high blood pressure was when I went for my physical at my first company. I had myself so worked up about the upcoming mini workout I knew the company did I was stressed and tested high. After setting for just a few minutes I was back in my normal range.

Woody

LANDING A JOB THAT HAS YOU HOME DAILY OR ON WEEKENDS. POSSIBLE?

Maybe ive got the wrong idea all together. Im just assuming everyone would like to be home daily or am I wrong and most truck drivers are seeking the long haul for the bigger paychecks... Sorry for asking so many questions. But I do greatly appreciate your time and recommendations....

Not everyone wants to be home daily. Ever been married? rofl-3.gif

Actually the long haul is as much if not more about the lifestyle than it is about the money, at least in my opinion. I work linehaul for an LTL company like 6 String was referring to. I make a lot more money doing what I do now with great Benefits and I'm home every other day. I really miss being OTR. Yes its nice being home more often and I am sure this is better for my wife and kids (grown). But it is more like a job and OTR is without a doubt a lifestyle.

Woody

This is why Companies don't hire people with Drug offenses.

Dag gonnit Brett your too fast, I wanted to see what the incorrect link was LOL.

Beginning truck driver pay

One of the few exceptions to the 32 to 36k is if you can get into an LTL company driving linehaul. Normally you had to have experience to get into these jobs but some are now even hiring right out of school. Iv'e made over $30,000 in my first 6 months and that actually included almost 4 weeks of training since I had less than 1yr experience when I started. But our training pay is WAY out of the normal pay range. I was actually paid as if I were running the loads on my own, and was getting lots of miles since I was being trained by senior drivers on their runs.

Woody

Knight Transportation or Werner Transportation?

Both are solid companies that will keep a good driver movimg. I went with Knight out of school fof their hometime options. I was originally wanting the 14/7 but decided i did not want to slip seat. I also did not feel I could make enough money on that plan. Keep in mind those extended hometime plans are pretty much part time jobs and may keep you from hitting minimum milages necessary to qualify for some bonuses.

I went the 10-14 route and liked it. For me at 14 days I was REALLY ready to get home but after 2 to 3 days at home was REALLY ready to go back out. Getting loads back to your area will effect when you actually get home. And it was my experience that they will test you and try to push you to stay out longer. I held my ground and kept them to the plan pretty consistently but two of my friends that wanted the same program were consistently out 3 to 5 weeks at time.

Also consider that you may get less miles with quicker home times because they quickly become limited with where they can send you when its getting close to going home. That being said I rarely set waiting for a load and was very happy with how they kept me rolling. Sometimes had issues looking for empties but you can have that most anywhere.

Not trying to discourage you from extended hometime options just want you to connsider how it can effect your pay.

Woody

Something that made my day

Awesome!