Comments By Woody

https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z70/Woody_968/HPIM0129.jpg avatar
  • Woody
  • Comments:

I'm Back!

Nice to see you post Kip! I've just started posting again recently. Can't believe it's only been a year since we started. Feels like much longer lol.

Woody

Will Fuel For Shower! (Help?)

50 gal at once. Do not expire as far as I know. Any location within the same chain. Most companies tell you where to fuel but some are more strict than others.

Most truckers never have to pay for a shower. 50 gallons is nothing for a rig and they refuel much more often than they shower rofl-3.gif

Woody

School's Over, CDL A in Hand - Oh Oh, what have I DONE????

I'm glad you feel that way, I would be concerned if you didn't. It means your taking it seriously and that you have a grasp on how tough it can be out there.

Most people have no clue what it takes to be a professional driver. I had done my research and spent a lot of time here before I entered trucking. I knew what I was in for and will still say it was harder than I expected.

The time with your trainer will not be easy. But it goes fast and is a very short time in comparison. I had an excellent trainer but was so ready to get rid of him after three weeks. But it's funny how quick you wish he was back with you on your first trip lol.

Just think of it all as a big test to see what your made of and you will be fine. There are several jobs out there that take special people to be able to handle them. Trucking is one o those jobs.

I passed!!!!!!!!!!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

10 Speed transmission question

You know what's worse on transmissions than range selecting in neutral.....

ROOKIES!

rofl-3.gif

LOL

What's the best way to tell your kids you leaving?

It is tough, but you need to have that talk as soon as possible. They are young but give them as much information as you can and try to get them excited that their Dad is going to be driving one of those huge trucks. Who knows, they are still young enough that they might actually think Dad is cool smile.gif

Woody

FedEx and Conway are making headway to become Union shops.

Historic Wins at FedEx Freight and Con-way

October 17, 2014: FedEx Freight workers in Philadelphia voted for this first time to join the Teamsters. Con-way workers in Laredo did the same.

I've known about this for a little while now but wanted some confirmation before posting. I can also say that there is a cook out at my local coming up to welcome FedEx freight haulers in our area into the Teamsters.

I hesitated on posting because I did not want to start another thread debating if unions are good or bad. I look at this as a good sign for trucking as a whole. In my opinion way to many drivers are under paid for doing an extremely dangerous job that takes them away from family and friends for extended periods of time. Any movement that in some way may help get drivers what they deserve is a move in the right direction.

Put trucks in their place: the right lane

But there is one overriding factor in almost everyone's equation - people hate being behind tractor trailers. Hate it. So they'll be cruising along at their natural speed when suddenly they notice a tractor trailer has caught up with them and is going to pass. Well we can't have that! So the person speeds up, gets some distance ahead of the truck, and then relaxes back into their natural speed. Soon enough you've caught up to them again, they notice this, they speed up again, and then settle back in. People will do this over and over again and it can drive you insane. They don't want to go as fast as you're going but they don't want to be behind you either.

I hate it when they do that! Some people simply don't think they should be behind anyone. I see them do it when I am in my personal vehicle. I'll ride behind em for a while then move out to pass and they go just fast enough to not let me around.

Funny thing is some people are just the opposite. Driving nights I can't tell you how many times I've been on a 3 lane highway and someone will get right up on my bumper and stay there even though no one else is around. You think they are just waiting for the next exit but nope, they stay right there.

Its really funny when they follow you right into the weigh stations rofl-3.gif

Work History Issue

Pay stubs and Tax info should be good. Work history also normally shows up on a credit report.

Woody

Getting back into trucking.

If your looking to stay regional and wanting the best money I would look into LTL. Companies like Old Dominion, ABF, Holland, YRC, Saia, and others. Your usually home weekly with great pay.

10 Speed transmission question

All I can say is if switching the selector actually did any damage while in neutral I would be out of a job for killing so many trucks rofl-3.gif

Woody

DMV combination testing ridiculous!

The High Road Training Program is an unbelievable tool when used properly. I took my time when I started and it helped me tremendously. In fact I am getting ready to go back and use it to tighten up my hazmat knowledge. It is one of the few modules I did not have time to finish. I already have the endorsement but I know if I go through the program fully I will learn or relearn some things I may be missing.

The last time I was at the BMV the clerk asked if I would like a print out of all my test results for my files. She printed it out and was shocked when she saw that I had passed every test on the first attempt. She commented that it was very rare. I do not think I could have accomplished it without the High Road.

I can NOT stress enough the importance of going through the log book and weight/balance sections of the training. These are things that directly effect your everyday work on the road. There were things I understood better than the instructors in my school about HOS because of the modules Brett put together.

And you cant beat the price lol. I would hate to guess what companies would charge for a program like he has put together.

Woody

Trip Plan my load for me!

What a GREAT thread and learning opportunity!

Believe me those getting ready for school try this you will be well ahead in your class. When it comes up the first time in class almost everyone has the deer in the headlights looks lol.

Sign on Bonus!

First you must still compare everything from company to company. It does no good to take a bonus if the overall job pays much less.

The reality is the bonus is paid over time or milage goals that are met. Not that its a bad thing, just understand they will not cut you a check for $5000 on your first day.

Cones vs. Trailers

I had to do a driving test before being hired at my current job. Part of tne test was backing a trailer into a spot in the yard. As I was driving around the yard he said pick any spot you want and commented on how empty the lot was. He was shocked when I drove passed all the empty spaces and chose one of tne few between two trailers.

May have been dumb on my part as hitting one wouldhave failed me. But I had more confidence doing that than trying to hit the wide open spaces.

But I will say if I owned a school students would e backing between cones rofl-3.gif

Company training questions???

When I went through their physical ours was much more involved. But if your in reasonable shape you will be fine. I was out of shape and worried about it. The only trouble i had was my blood pressure which is never high. I had myself so worked up it would have failed me. They let me lie down for a bit then retested and i was fine.

The only issue one might have was lifting a crate up onto a table with weights in it. Not that it was too heavy but i could see a short person having issues. In fact that was one of the complaints i read online before i went.

As far as reviews ignore them. What you have is a lot of people that couldnt make it and blame everyone but themselves.

Woody

Can I ask you 15 questions to determine if trucking is for me?

If you don't have three by the time I get home Saturday I'll try to post my answers. I just cant type that much on this little tablet lol.

DMV combination testing ridiculous!

Well ya posted that rwo hours ago. So I truly hope you've calmed down enough for some good natured ribbing.

If Bretts test were that easy you wouldn't be halted smile.gif

Now to be serious. Your right that the bmv tests are worded to trip you up. You must read every little detail. A freind of mine passed hazmat the first try and had to go 3 times i think for doubles.

As far as the halt, i think tne only other way to get around it is to reset your scores. But tnen you lose your previous work.

Got my CDL A, Now where?

It was through England. I mean obviously i will still have to go through training, which is fine. I know companies will not just throw me into a company owned truck. i am just wondering which is the best one.

We aren't talking about just going through training. Most companies will want you to go through a refresher course in a school before they even put you in training.

After someone completes cdl school trucking companies want to get them started while everything is fresh. Normally within 30 days. The longer you wait the more trouble a student may have getting a job. This is also pushed by insurance companies.

There has to be more to this story.

Put trucks in their place: the right lane

The thing I find baffling is I get cut-off and tailgated more in a truck with student driver on it then in my jeep.

Get used to it lol. Its crazy how people drive around us! Possibly even worse for the student driver trucks, I think they see those signs and think "law suit".

One thing about trucking is now you set up high enough to really see how everyone drives. It is insane the chances people take and for what? To gain one spot in a line that's not going anywhere anyway?

Nuts.