Profile For MissIncognito

Experienced Driver

4 years, 3 months ago

MissIncognito's Bio

Averitt driver

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Automatic with manual option disable

I’ve heard of companies disabling it and personally, I find that irresponsible and dangerous.

I completely agree with this, on it's face. But the sad fact is that some companies are doing this as a result of some driver's irresponsible misuse of the manual function. The same problem resulted in some companies taking the trailer brake controls out of the cab.

As it was explained to me by a Prime mechanic, they started disabling or eliminating these systems because lease ops would use them to slow the truck instead of actually using the service brakes. The L/Os would save on relatively minor brake replacement costs, while causing hundreds of thousands of dollars in repairs to be passed on to the company fleetwide.

Two wrongs don't make a right, I get it. Disabling the systems is dangerous in my opinion too. Seems to me it would be far safer for the coI mpany to simply offset those higher maintenance costs by adjusting the lease arrangement somehow.

It has been disabled company wide on the newer trucks. I asked 3 different mechanics in 3 different service centers, the explanation I received was to save on fuel. I whole heartedly agree on the taking it away part. But now I'm in it, anyone been able to figure out the when, how, what speed, or rpm I could get the thing to stay in manual? I asked the mechanics about that too..thinking they would know..no one has a clue on that part. I've been told by other managers trying to get answers out of corporate is crazy. I told my FM, who use to be a driver, he couldn't believe it either. I guess just burn up the brakes....how nice on that outcome too...

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Automatic with manual option disable

Disclaimer: I'm not happy about this.....miss my manual option.

So with that said, I know that someone on here is in my same boat. I have been able to hold it in manual on some grades where we have the mandatory stops on the top of the grades. Other than that, is there a particular speed or gear, where I can put it manual. I know before it was 45 mph or under, but it seems to be when it wants to cooperate. Not a figured out science yet. Someone on the general forum was asking about winter drivering, doable on my end...if I can figure out how to drive my newbie. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Automatics with manual disabled

Disclaimer: I'm not happy about this.....miss my manual option.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Need advice!

Happened to me too right in that area, except I was already stopped with flashers on for another accident. Hit my trailer head on, not paying any attention what so ever. Not preventable. You can't make people get it.

So yesterday morning I'm traveling south on I-85, mm 86 about 2 miles before Bill's truck stop. I got the cruise on 58 mph, traffic is real light, two cars on my left just passing me. I felt a thump, look out the mirror car in the Highway sort of spinning and car parts flying. I told my husband I think he just hit my trailer. I pulled over run to the back of my trailer glass all over my dot bumper. The car is about a half mile behind me, but it now off the road. I'm calling 911 my husband is going to see about the driver. . 911 asked if any injuries I said other driver has to be injured his car is destroyed. She said hold on other party is calling in he said no injuries. North Carolina state trooper was there in seconds. He stopped at car! I called my dispatch in seconds safety from PA called asked if I was okay, then safety from Springfield called. Finally the officer came to me. I'm like what happened? He said I call it distracted driving at a high rate of speed. What? Driver said he dropped something, reached for it and never saw my trailer till he hit it! By this time my nerves were getting the best of me, I was actually shaking! Trooper was like I want u to sit here till you calm down. I been over this all day yesterday and most of the night , trying to figure what I could have done different, what I could have done to have prevented this accident.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Questions on the HOS split

Lol, the comments about they don't even know themselves...you're probably right! That makes sense about it just keeps going on the pattern. Thank you for the perspective.

You are correct, to get your FULL 10/14 you must do a 10 hour break.

You can also keep splitting your break 8/2/8/2/8/2, or 7/3/7/3/7/3 and everytime you take a break, you are essentially getting the difference of what you used up of your 11 clock between each split, if that makes sense. So you did a 7/3, then you took a 7 hour break which will give you time back on your clock.

The violation, i would be surprised if your logs dept would know, or the FMCSA for that matter. The rules imo have gone through so many changes recently even the people that made them probably don't know what's going on.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Questions on the HOS split

A few weeks ago I started my week off on a split. Drove for 6 hours, shutdown for seven contuied to my delivery, and did the rest of my break (3 hours) to get time back (5ish). I thought in order to have a full clock after a split I need to do a full 10 in sleeper/off duty. But before my ten was up, my clock said 6 hours. Could someone tell me how and when I had 6 hours again? Did this before and took advantage of all the time my eld said I had, but a week later the log department said I had an over 14 violation, but the eld never said I was in violation. Tried to contact log department to find out how and why, but no response. Trying to get it right. Any help?

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Part time driving

I used to work for a local nursery that shipped regional....seasonal, but overall a good part time gig. Just another thought.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe I missed something....but did the hos split go away?

I had only did my delivery and traveled to my pickup, 72 miles, about 12 hours on my 14 left.

Did you have time left on your 14 when you started the eight hour sleeper time?

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe I missed something....but did the hos split go away?

I've done it twice before with no problem. But this last time it didn't work. Did I miss something with the new changes??? 8+hours sleeper birth...and no dice ...wtheck??

Posted:  2 years ago

Beach recommendation near Suffolf Va?

Try the VA beach convention center...you'll have to walk a few blocks to the boardwalk but along the way some cool restaurants.

What have you learned from Trucking Truth?

Stay off parkways, what to have handy in the truck, not to give up.

CDL Permit endorsements question

Hazmat doesn't crossover, will have to take again.

Hello, long time lurker first time poster here...appreciate the info on this forum.

Quick question I couldn't find by searching - I have my CT CDL class A permit with extra endorsements such as hazmat and tanker. If I go to an out of state mega school, will my CDL issued in that state carry over my current endorsements? Or must I add them again?

Thanks in advance

Posted:  3 years ago

Is there such a thing?

Well, it was my main focus until the other position fell into place; I took it because of my kids. In no way do I have a casual attitude about anything. I'm just trying to see if i could obtain something part time and not have to restart the training later. But if it's been too long, I have no problem doing the refresher course.

The issue with this...?

You are a neophyte, entry-level “student” driver.

You have a CDL, however with no experience and no road training, it is highly doubtful any company will hire you to operate a tractor trailer on a part time basis. At a minimum Swift will not hire you as a casual driver until after you completed 200 hours of mentored driving.

You gain the necessary skills, knowledge and situational awareness required for safe and efficient operation through contiguous and consistent driving. Repetition and practice. Learning “this” is a full time job requiring a full time commitment, not a casual approach or attitude.

Please don’t take offense to this; but the thought of you running an Interstate high-speed curve in traffic is terrifying unless you gain at least some seasoning from basic Road Training.

One final thought on commitment...

Without it, you really should focus on something other than trucking. Trying to enter this industry with a split commitment, a foot in both camps, is not only inadvisable, it’s potentially dangerous to you and the others around you.

Good luck.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Is there such a thing?

Yes, a full time job in my old career field. Trucking is my new.

I did it, passed the test my CDL endorsements T and X Twic and passport in hand and a company lined up to go to......and then handed a job I couldn't say no to. Now looking for a part time trucking job right out of school....do they even exist?

Roehl has a variety of on/off time, including 7/7.

But I'm confused, you said you had a job you couldn't refuse, then asked about part time.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Is there such a thing?

Help...it scared the crud out of me...

Hello, In school and on lunch right now... We are driving today, something I am doing fairly well at. My scare was wet roads, empty trailer, and a sneaky red light....2 of them. The first one I was able to catch it and did my stab breaking. The second one practically didn't make it....and my trailer sliding and my instructor just saying no no no. He told us he's not a believer in panic stops.... So some advice please, on either to run it, down shift? Just stab break?

Would like some advice please from everyone

Try Christian healthcare ministry, it's like a co-op and perfect for larger families.

Passenger endorsement

Thank you for breaking it down. Just thinking that tour bus driver might be paid fit one day when I'm an older lady LOL!

Missincognito, from your update, you may now have two separate questions here.

So, here are two answers:

1) To get a P endorsement, you'll need to pass the written test you've mentioned, PLUS you'll need to pass a driving test using a passenger vehicle.

2) If you get a Class A CDL, you'll also be able to drive class B vehicles.

HOWEVER, if you get the Class A CDL using a semi-truck for the driving test, and if as is common you get the P endorsement by driving a Class B or C vehicle for the driving test, you'll have a restriction on your license saying "no Class A passenger vehicles", or it might just have the code "M". (A Class A passenger vehicle is typically an articulated bus...maybe there are some others I'm not thinking of at the moment.)

I guess what I'm asking is for the skills test part would I have to drive a bus (example: tour bus) in order to complete the endorsement requirements? I know someone with only a school bus endorsement and they said it was a class B license. Currently working on my obtaining my endorsements and wondering if I have a class A license would the skills test for that superceed the other?

I understand with school bus endorsment you have to take and pass the written test and do the skills test with the bus itself. Am I reading the passenger endorsement the same way? Or if I complete my CDL A and the passenger endorsement test will it be enough?

Passenger endorsement