Profile For MissIncognito

Rookie Solo Driver

1 year, 11 months ago

MissIncognito's Bio

Averitt driver

Posted:  2 months ago

CDL Permit endorsements question

Hazmat doesn't crossover, will have to take again.

Hello, long time lurker first time poster here...appreciate the info on this forum.

Quick question I couldn't find by searching - I have my CT CDL class A permit with extra endorsements such as hazmat and tanker. If I go to an out of state mega school, will my CDL issued in that state carry over my current endorsements? Or must I add them again?

Thanks in advance

Posted:  9 months ago

Is there such a thing?

Well, it was my main focus until the other position fell into place; I took it because of my kids. In no way do I have a casual attitude about anything. I'm just trying to see if i could obtain something part time and not have to restart the training later. But if it's been too long, I have no problem doing the refresher course.

The issue with this...?

You are a neophyte, entry-level “student” driver.

You have a CDL, however with no experience and no road training, it is highly doubtful any company will hire you to operate a tractor trailer on a part time basis. At a minimum Swift will not hire you as a casual driver until after you completed 200 hours of mentored driving.

You gain the necessary skills, knowledge and situational awareness required for safe and efficient operation through contiguous and consistent driving. Repetition and practice. Learning “this” is a full time job requiring a full time commitment, not a casual approach or attitude.

Please don’t take offense to this; but the thought of you running an Interstate high-speed curve in traffic is terrifying unless you gain at least some seasoning from basic Road Training.

One final thought on commitment...

Without it, you really should focus on something other than trucking. Trying to enter this industry with a split commitment, a foot in both camps, is not only inadvisable, it’s potentially dangerous to you and the others around you.

Good luck.

Posted:  9 months ago

Is there such a thing?

Yes, a full time job in my old career field. Trucking is my new.

I did it, passed the test my CDL endorsements T and X Twic and passport in hand and a company lined up to go to......and then handed a job I couldn't say no to. Now looking for a part time trucking job right out of school....do they even exist?

Roehl has a variety of on/off time, including 7/7.

But I'm confused, you said you had a job you couldn't refuse, then asked about part time.

Posted:  9 months ago

Is there such a thing?

Posted:  10 months ago

Help...it scared the crud out of me...

Hello, In school and on lunch right now... We are driving today, something I am doing fairly well at. My scare was wet roads, empty trailer, and a sneaky red light....2 of them. The first one I was able to catch it and did my stab breaking. The second one practically didn't make it....and my trailer sliding and my instructor just saying no no no. He told us he's not a believer in panic stops.... So some advice please, on either to run it, down shift? Just stab break?

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Would like some advice please from everyone

Try Christian healthcare ministry, it's like a co-op and perfect for larger families.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Passenger endorsement

Thank you for breaking it down. Just thinking that tour bus driver might be paid fit one day when I'm an older lady LOL!

Missincognito, from your update, you may now have two separate questions here.

So, here are two answers:

1) To get a P endorsement, you'll need to pass the written test you've mentioned, PLUS you'll need to pass a driving test using a passenger vehicle.

2) If you get a Class A CDL, you'll also be able to drive class B vehicles.

HOWEVER, if you get the Class A CDL using a semi-truck for the driving test, and if as is common you get the P endorsement by driving a Class B or C vehicle for the driving test, you'll have a restriction on your license saying "no Class A passenger vehicles", or it might just have the code "M". (A Class A passenger vehicle is typically an articulated bus...maybe there are some others I'm not thinking of at the moment.)

I guess what I'm asking is for the skills test part would I have to drive a bus (example: tour bus) in order to complete the endorsement requirements? I know someone with only a school bus endorsement and they said it was a class B license. Currently working on my obtaining my endorsements and wondering if I have a class A license would the skills test for that superceed the other?

I understand with school bus endorsment you have to take and pass the written test and do the skills test with the bus itself. Am I reading the passenger endorsement the same way? Or if I complete my CDL A and the passenger endorsement test will it be enough?

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Passenger endorsement

Posted:  10 months, 3 weeks ago

Passenger endorsement

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Too smart to go for my CDL?

I actually thought about that, Audible came to mind. Mostly I'm looking for personal achievement, a real sense of customer service, and getting away from a glass ceiling.

Driving doesn't mean you can't keep thinking. You might explain to your interlocutors that while driving you can listen to books and lectures. You can also have a voice-activated recorder handy and write as you drive. If anything, it's an opportunity to get away from the lure of computers and the distraction of phone calls, and focus on your thoughts. (This assumes, of course, that such activities would be of interest to you.) That time to do nothing but think can produce amazing results. Dr. Kary Mullis, for example, was seeking a way to detect mutations in human genes. Only when he was driving his Honda down a long and winding road in Mendocino County did the idea for PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) occur to him. In his case, knowledge, a problem to solve, and space to think led to a Nobel Prize. Just sayin'.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Too smart to go for my CDL?

That is exactly the postings I was referring to. It amazed me with the diversity.

A lot of us have degrees, some of us have multiple degrees. You will find truckers an extremely diverse group of people.

I went to college, was in business for thirty years, and then started working as a trucker. I've met so many people out here who chose this lifestyle as a second career. I still remember a former lawyer, and a former dentist that I met in a truck stop cafe. Our Moderator "Errol" has a most unusual degree, and he was a former teacher.

Brett's Mom wanted to die when he told her he wanted to be a trucker! He had a great mind and was capable of doing a lot of different things.

You really should check out this thread. It's a fascinating show of What we did before becoming Truckers.

Posted:  11 months, 1 week ago

Too smart to go for my CDL?

I am receiving quite a bit of flack from others who think that I am too smart to want to obtain my CDL and look at trucking as a new career field. When I start to explain why I would consider this, I am shutdown by head shaking and told to use my degrees to look for something else. I have read on here about others who have moved on from other prominent careers and seem to be happy with their decisions. I absolutely know I am ready for a change. Has anyone else dealt with this?

Posted:  1 year ago

My update from the Prime Inc Tanker division

Could you give more detail please.

Be a tanker driver? Not advised at all.

Posted:  1 year ago

My update from the Prime Inc Tanker division

Can you be a rookie and do this?

So as I stated in a previous post after several months of doing flatbed with Prime I realized and made the decision that flatbed just was not for me. I simply am not cut out for it. So I made the move over to our tanker division about a month and a half ago. So after doing the tanker for a little bit now I wanted to stop in and give a quick update and review of our tanker division.

We haul 100% foodgrade products such as different kinds of oils, chocolate, cocoa butter, lots of different things. This means we drive smooth bore tanks so the surge is very real. I had to adjust to being able to shift with the timing of the surge to minimize the impact I felt with each shift and have learned to stop and start very smoothly. I take a lot more caution now and I am the guy you will see taking the exit ramps at 10mph haha. We do run a lot of Northeast and very seldom get west even though I have already had loads to Kansas and Texas. Our primary area though is a big triangle from Newark Nj, Savannah Ga, and Chicago Il. This is where you will spend the majority of your time in this division.

One of my concerns switching over was not being able to run as many miles as I did with flatbed because I had heard our tanker drivers only average 2000-2200 miles a week. However my last few weeks have been 2469, 2897, 3105, and 2655 so the miles and the freight are definitely here so I am not sure what kind of problems the other drivers have been having that I talked to before switching over were having. I am actually making more money than I did in flatbed so that makes really happy. I have a super amazing FM who keeps me loaded and running and I am almost always pre-planned on other loads way before I get empty on my current one.

Here in tanker we do have a little more down time and a little more waiting at shipper and receivers than I did in flatbed however it hasn't been anything too excessive. My longest wait time to get loaded was 8 hours at a cocoa processor in Delaware but the people were super friendly and explained they had an issue inside with equipment that slowed them down and the detention pay I got plus the nap i took was a nice little bonus to that wait. Also we go into some very tight places. Everywhere I have been so far with the exception on one customer has been pretty tight so it is definitely refining my close quarter maneuvering and my backing skills for sure.

I am honestly very happy with my decision to move to the tanker side and I have really fell in love with this. I really do not ever seeing myself doing anything other than tanker. If anyone has any questions about this division here I will be more than glad to help and answer what i can.

Posted:  1 year ago

What was key to making the jump?

No worries, I knew what you meant to say.

rofl-2.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-3.gifrofl-2.gifrofl-1.gifrofl-1.gif

yes $700 per week if you go through Primes program,

sorry

Posted:  1 year ago

What was key to making the jump?

Thanks for letting me know about the training. I was debating about going back to the same school I went to before or just diving in head first. From what you explained it sounds more real world and not a bad deal if you stick it out. I know that the rule of thumb is to do a year at a company and then move on if you like. I like the fact that they have different divisions as well. When do they start the clock on the employment? Would that be day one of your training or after you are solo in a truck? I'm in a government position right now, fairly a new thing, but I waited years to get it thinking it was something else. Once I get here the job itself is not what I thought at all and the pay is not worth the sacrifice from home all the time. Being a worker bee in a government position is an oxymoron in itself, and honestly it's driving me a bit crazy. Some have told me "easy money", but that is not the reason I came. I was looking for more responsibility, more independence, to move up in a job because my last one I was stuck unless I wanted to move to a new state. And lastly, to do something different but the same field--I work in supply/logistics/transportation. My kids are 11, and 15, and I like the option that I can take them with me on occasion and even my pets.

Thank you for letting me know about the time away part---it seems as though they will take care of you as long as you take care of them--that's to be appreciated. (Something else I had wondered about) From reading other posts of yours it seems as long as you get the job done they leave you alone--I'm not one to be baby sat and completely loathe those who do that to me. I figured that if you hired me to be an adult and do a job you should treat me like one and leave me alone, if I have questions I will come to you.

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

What was key to making the jump?

Hello to all, I remember reading a very lengthy post on here about what people did before they did trucking. That would be great if it could be reposted. More than anything I'm interested in what made you personally decide to take the leap and just do it. Rainy (apologies if I misspelled your name) Your background story peaked my interest as I will be turning 41 this year and thinking that it is also time for a change in career. Why did the company training appeal to you? Was there a straw that broke the camels back moment? If anyone started this as a single parent I would love to hear from you as well. (I do have help, so not alone.)

I'm presently on my hometime. As you can see, I live in Chesapeake VA as well. If you have questions, or would like to see one of Prime's trucks up close, let me know.

Ernie

Funny that your name is Old Salty Dog, I'm currently on a ship now (Civmar) and have been looking at this path for awhile. I'm in the deep creek area but only home every so often...trucking would actually get me home more and I can take my kids and pets. LOL!

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

What was key to making the jump?

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Question about pre-trip exam.

My examiner really didn't say a word. She just followed me around to the different parts that was on the pre trip. She did give me a hint on what she wanted by saying, "point to the item and tell me why". She wanted the "no more than 90 degree angle when brakes are applied". She was also nice by not moving on to the next section, when she didn't move with me I knew right away that I missed something, thankfully I caught my mistake.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Flatbed odd question

Still looking at flatbed, just curious on how much backing do you need to do compared to regular dry van? Still in school for about two days, and other than straight back, my backing is nothing short of rookie style.