Profile For andhe78

Experienced Driver

5 years, 3 months ago

andhe78's Bio

I’ve got gas.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

PC under load.

I would never use PC on customer property, unless you are leaving to go park off-site. That's a falsifying logs issue. If anything, I would creep along at under 5 mph to get into the dock.

Just playing devil’s advocate here (doesn’t matter to me, I’ve done pc, ym, and the creep), but isn’t doing the creep also technically falsifying your logs? rofl-2.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

PC under load.

The 16 hour exemption causes confusion, as well; especially for us 'mostly' intrastate drivers, aka: home daily/local.

If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday, you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour driving window to 16 hours once every 7 consecutive days. Note, you only have to arrive/depart for FIVE consecutive days to your yard, to qualify; however.

~ Anne ~

confused.gif sorry.gif confused.gif

Actually, a 34 will reset it without needing the seven days. It doesn’t extend your drive time, you still only have 11 hours there. And weirdly enough, taking it legally in the states, then for example crossing the border a few days later and running under Canadian rules of service, will give the Canadian dot fits. The company has had to have two hos violations I got because of this data-q’d off. They really don’t like seeing even a legal 16 (in the states) in your log history up there.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

TMC has mounted TVs W/DirecTV capabilities

I'm not a fan of the digital gauges. They're too bright at night, messing up what you can see in your mirrors and even if you do bring the brightness down, there's still some glare. Also, when you restart the truck it just shows the speedometer. You have roll the dial on the steering wheel to bring up the entire cluster.

Fortunately, ours have a dimmer switch. We’ve been having a problem with them locking up, had to have the shop show me the other night how to reset it without detaching the ground.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Hey Anna A.!

ps: Forgot to mention, we've also been in touch with Crossett (AndHe78's company;) w/ the LPG tanks. I'm more 'liking' on that then Tom is, however. He's getting old, at a faster rate than I am, somehow. It's definitely NOT a 'no touch' freight situation.

Lol, he's not wrong. Every fall, our guys at or near retirement age start their rumblings on whether they want to battle another winter. Propane and asphalt are not bad, but gas work gets old really fast in the cold and snow.

Posted:  1 month ago

Super sleeper trucks

BK, you must be thinking sailboat fuel~!

Countryside trailers calls this a 'tri axle,' but I'm thinking from AndHe's pics/post (MAN, Crossett is BAD ARSKE, Kudos!) the axle NEAREST to the 5th wheel may inDEED be a tag axle.

And yessir, this indeed is an LPG tank, as well. Sheesh, I don't even have my CDL yet, and I'm reaching for the stars, haha!

I've always LOVED the 'tank life' .. but then again, that's all I trained in. I sure loved the added visibility, between the rear window in the daycab, and the 'non square/obtrusive' box following, haha!

In your picture, the tag is the rear axle, all our trailers have the tag in front of the axle group, either two and a lift axle or three and the lift. All our tags are steerable too, which can take a minute to get used to. Seven total axles (truck and trailer) are all we can do in NY.

Running over the border, that's where the trailers get interesting. The six axle tankers are a group of four with either two lifts in front, or one in front and one behind. Rare to see in lp, most of them and the gas guys run b's and super b's. You'll see the super single tanks in the asphalt rack-I'm sure you can figure out why those guys don't usually run a tag trailer.smile.gif

The big lp trailers can get interesting to drive, great in the winter because they're so heavy empty. But we only have a couple that are baffled. No big deal with propane, since they are built to max out weight when the tank is 90% full of propane. But hauling butane, which is heavier--that surge in a smooth bore only 70% full with a gvw of 117k pounds will get you real smooth real quick.

Posted:  1 month ago

Super sleeper trucks

0862388001661032100.jpg

And we REALLY need a thread on trailers, (G'Town!) ... because..WHY is this called a TriAxle and not a Quad? Is one a Tag Axle, and I don't see it?!?!? These are the 'big boys' like Ruan pulls; isn't this mostly LPG.. or ?!?!?

I'm easily amused on the sidelines; don't mind me! A 'trailer' thread SURE WOULD be educational, though...G'Town! {wink wink!}

:) Anne :)

Similar to what we pull.

0586011001661045660.jpg

Not sure who calls them tri axles, we use quad for those rigs and tri for our three axle trailers. What’s funny though, while this is a big trailer in the states, in Canada, I’ve seen six axles under lp trailers.

That rig above is over 50k empty.

Posted:  1 month ago

TMC cheap freight? OTR Flatbeds that run western half of the country?

Melton is a fine company, but Prime would certainly meet your needs also. Have you looked into Jordan or Maverick? Many of the flatbed companies are regionalizing their runs because their drivers want to be home for weekends. Prime may be your best option.

Yeah, I’d definitely look at Maverick, doubt their regular flatbed hires that far east, but their glass division might, and those guys run all 48 and Canada.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

My horrible experience with Schneider training center in Phoenix AZ, read before you apply

mis-naming meals (like grilled chicken sandwich for ground chicken patty

My favorite complaint of the whole rant!!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Need advice on manual vs automatic

Talk to Maverick about their dedicated glass out of Geneva. I was chatting with the account manager over there a few months back-pretty sweet gig if you have no problems crossing the border or with nyc. Would be my first call if I felt like going back over the road.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Need advice on manual vs automatic

I’ll second Anne, as a Buffalo local driver, I’ve been interested in your journey, and wonder what your future driving plans may be.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

This thread needed a bump, but..

@andhe78 .... how the heck have YOU BEEN ?!?!?!

I've got the answer, already . . . you've been MISSED!!

;) Anne ;)

Busy. Not flatbed, but I did owe you a pic… Me, now.

0962191001653709264.jpg

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Changing trucks: The unloading, the reloading

It takes me 3 minutes smile.gif

Lol, it's nice not having to carry your house on your back.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

I was at Sapa, Cressona Friday and was having fits tucking the plastic under the load, but then I remembered my hammer tacker:

I bought it to tack my plastic corner protectors to OSD loads, but it also works great to tack plastic to the wood dunnage surrounding the bundles of a Sapa load.

Nice, always carried one too. The other odd tool I had was a small handsaw, for cutting back dunnage if it overhung the rub rails.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Got my first informal reprimand but not for anything driving related.

I always find the topics about driving with the safety features humorous, because I'm such an odd duck, that I'm coming up on a situation most of the drivers here would give their left nut to be in, and I'm debating whether to quit over it. Current truck is an auto with the full safety suite and I love the thing-in two years I've never had it act up on me a single time, but I've spent my entire career in similar trucks and it has really forced me to be a better driver. By the metrics my company tracks, I've been the safest driver at my terminal for over a year straight now, and am usually top three in the entire fleet. BUT...unfortunately, due to driver complaints, my truck is literally the last auto and the last full safety package truck the company is getting. It's my terminal's time for new trucks this year and I spent the last week doing 600 miles days with one of them last week (big 250k service on mine last week-and our shop doesn't screw around, basically got a new truck back.) Anyway, they are super nice trucks, manual, 68 on the pedal, 70 on cruise, 75 on pass smart, forward facing camera, but that's literally it for safety equipment, I mean there is not even a spot for the bendix system. We haul either 107k or 117k every load so all our trucks are specced for heavy haul, but they upped the power, better transmissions, and rear ends on these ones-they'll pass most everything even fully loaded, uphill. However, I'm such a dum-dum, that I kind of don't like them and am not comfortable driving them-I like having the safety package. Call it a crutch, call me a bad driver, but even though I've never had the braking system activate, I like knowing it's there in case I don't react quick enough. Even though I'll go weeks without the lane departure alarm going off, I like knowing it's there to remind me when I'm driving erratically. I'm such a poor driver that even though I can go 70+, I'll cruise at 63, simply because I know our second most common accident are lane change accidents, and the slow speed lets me maintain a lane. In a couple years when my truck is retired and I'm given one of these new ones (that probably 98% of the drivers here would pay money to drive), I am wondering if I want to start looking for a new driving job with trucks I'm comfortable in. Crazy, huh?

Posted:  8 months ago

Companies Not Requiring & Requiring the Jab

As of NOW, per MY research . . . none. HOWEVER, Companies that DO cross border (Canadian) crossings . . . might be having issues.

As of right now, my company is not mandating the vaccine. The drivers who have the vaccine are currently doing the Canada runs. However, this is our slowest time, and we are already falling behind on some contracts, so it's a good chance we are going to be losing work, which could mean some downsizing. So, good times.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Any Cross-Border Truckers?

Is anyone here being affected by the cross-border vaccine mandate Canada has going into effect?

Yes, my outfit is affected. The advice I got on this site when I brought it up was to get the vaccine or quit. Got the impression that since it affects such a small minority of drivers, it’s not a big deal.

Posted:  9 months ago

COVID Mandates and trucking companies

There are two very good reasons for that.

One, less than 5% of US CDL holders have a valid passport and drive into Canada. Most drivers are more focused on the mandates that will affect them.

Two, the January 15th mandate is Canadian. While the US mandates will likely be overturned because they're unconstitutional the US Constitution doesn't apply in Canada. They're a sovereign state and Her Majesty (Fun fact: Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada and Head of State, NOT Justin Trudeau) can pretty much do whatever she wants with mandates.

While the US mandate requiring drivers entering the US to be vaccinated by 22 January 2022 is likely to be overturned it doesn't really matter for you. If you can't get into Canada without a shot it does you no good to be able to re-enter the US without one.

Oh, I'm sorry to bring up a mandate (which I stated is a Canadian mandate), that is going to cause hundreds of American drivers in just my one local American city to lose their jobs. Sure, cross border drivers are uncommon (at least in areas not near the border), but I didn't know we couldn't talk about a vaccine mandate that is actually going into effect and is actually going to affect American drivers, unlike the vaccine mandates this country is currently working towards. US drivers aren't losing their jobs due to American mandates yet, US drivers ARE losing jobs due to a Canadian mandate. Not sure why I got such a douchy answer from you-there are 75 drivers just in my company that will be affected by this and are wrestling with what to do. Sorry I bothered you.

Posted:  9 months ago

COVID Mandates and trucking companies

The one mandate I'm not seeing much talk about is Canada's that goes into effect January 15 requiring all truck drivers that cross the border into that country to be vaccinated. Doesn't look like that mandate will be going away. It majorly effects my terminal since all of us are in and out of Canada constantly. The company hasn't forced us to get the vaccine, but has said that if the only work they have is Canada work, and you're not vaccinated, then you're not working that day.

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Amazon drop boxs

Small world, I’m delivering to that TA later tonight.

Posted:  10 months ago

Amazon Lockers

Amazon lockers work great and there are more around than most people realize, because they’ll also ship stuff to stores for you too, around here it’s Rite Aids that they’ll ship to and you can just walk in and pick up your box from the cashier-store shipping works good for the big packages. I literally have twenty locations less than ten miles from my house, and more keep popping up-alway surprised how many gas stations I deliver to have lockers.