Profile For andhe78

andhe78's Info

NY

Experienced Driver

1 year, 11 months ago

andhe78's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

andhe78's Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 minutes ago

Fuel gauge or mileage?

Due to running out of fuel on my very first load because of a faulty gauge, I always use mileage to figure gallons left. My tractor also has a display showing gallons used that is much more accurate than my fuel gauge.

Also of note, I can’t put the maximum amount of fuel in my tanks because the fill hole isn’t on the exact top of the tank. There is still some room in the tank even if they are filled right up to the cap. I run two eighty gallon tanks, at maximum capacity, I’ll be on the side of the road at 130 gallons used.

Posted:  1 week ago

Per Diem pay deductions

What happens in my check that makes it kind of look like that is the company takes my per diem that week ($462), subtracts it from the gross, taxes the new gross, then adds it back to the resulting net.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

It may just be that I’m missing something, but a few updates ago, trucker path started using “air miles.” I hate having to plug everything into google maps to get the actual miles to a truck stop. Used to be able to just do quick math, 300 miles to a stop=six hours. Now there’s extra steps. Unless I’m missing a setting.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

What Are The Best Truck Stops, And Why?

It’s funny, when I first started, the most important thing when parking was finding a space that I didn’t have to back into, which meant a ton of rest areas. After a few months, the most important thing was a shower every night which meant one of the major truck stops every night. Now days, the most important thing is miles/clock efficiency, so I’ll park in any legal spot that lets me get the most out of my clock.

I do prefer a flying j or large pilot for my 34’s, can use points for laundry at most of them.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

Neek, here’s my day, 511 miles, four stops. This is how it’s done. Sorry your outfit won’t work with you, going to bed.

Delivery 0700, flat steel, I’m 50 miles away (I don’t do a 34 without running water.) It’s raining so won’t be able to untarp outside, but I know this place, if you show up a half hour before they open, they’ll back you into a bay so you can untarp before 0700. Get there 0635, two trucks in line all dark, I head into shipping, sure enough, get told to back on in. 0700 on the dot, they are unloading me, 0715, back on the road to next load that I was given on Friday. Arrive a bit after 0900. First time here, stone place, one truck ahead of me. (Good time to get loaded, all the guys who started the week with this load are gone, and I’m still ahead of most of the reload guys like me.) Talk to shipping, get all my straps, chains, and tarps ready to go while waiting. 0930 getting loaded. Talk to the loader (I always ask), and it’s ok to secure while being loaded. So by the time the last pallet goes on, I’m just about all secured. Pull up, tarp, 1015, I’m ready to roll. (30 minute break has been snuck in here.) Receiver is a job site, unload before 1500 today, or after 0800 tomorrow. I hit my eta before leaving the yard that I’m going to shoot for the before 1500. This means my load planner will probably either get me a short mile and reload tonight, or longer deadhead and reload first thing tomorrow. Couple hours later get a preplan for a reload tonight. Pull in 1445, two trucks ahead of me pulling tarps. Head over to the forklift guy to see if they can get me in. Am told they go home 1500, no ifs, ands, or buts. Ask him if I get everything off the load in five minutes, if he’ll get me. He says sure, he’s just sitting around waiting for whoever gets ready first. (Here’s a trick I see too few flatbedders do-if there’s room, you don’t have to fold and put everything away while pulling it off the load.) Less than five minutes later, my tarps are just dumped in front of the truck and all my straps are on the ground. I get unloaded, one of the other guys didn’t. Rolled up tarps and straps after the job site left to go home. Helped the other flatbedder put a tarp back on his load (he’s not happy, didn’t realize there was a cutoff.) My reload is a 1630 appointment just a couple miles away, once again I know this place, they will not pull you in even a minute before your appointment. So I run down the road to fuel, shower, and have a quick bite. Now I can park anywhere tonight. Show up at the shipper at 1620, they are happy I’m not clogging up their lot like the seven other guys there, they even look up what I’m getting so I can set up my cradles before pulling in (usually they don’t let you know what to set up for before you’re inside the loading bay.) Couple coils, get set up, get all the tarps and chains I’ll need ready to go. This place has no problem with you securing while they are getting the next piece, so my first coil is all secured by the time they place the second one. Pull up, three more chains, tarp, paperwork, I’m back on the road by around 1730. Drive till my clock runs out.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

No response andhe?

Sure, but you’re not gonna like it. Instead of wishing for loads you don’t have, figure out how to make the ones you do have, work. Ten weeks is not enough time to reach expert level in clock manipulation, load schedule manipulation, loading speed (don’t show up at noon for example), or even tarping/securement. A bad day for me is anything less than 550 miles and three stops (loading/unloading.) Your problem is as simple as the 350 miles a day with only two stops.

To correct your assumptions, my loads include dh miles. 307 means 3k miles this week with ten loads (eight tarped), which also means some days with two loads and two unloads.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Illinois

Have seen this in Ohio and Michigan too. A trooper will have a semi pulled over with another trooper tucked in front of the truck going after those who don’t get over.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

I am interested in hearing what you have to say on this subject. No real questions from me, I just have a local steel hauler who has been bugging me to drive for them, but not keen on giving up the hundred people and millions of dollars worth of support I have behind me right now.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Mileage Pay vs Percentage Pay - Which Is Better?

I am curious as to how many miles you're turning a week

2800-3100.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Mileage Pay vs Percentage Pay - Which Is Better?

What has always made me laugh about this discussion—I’m a second year driver working for a “starter” company that hauls general flatbed freight, while getting paid by the mile. I too gross over $2k weekly and am on track to make over $85k this year. How odd is that?

Posted:  2 weeks ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

Sorry, I forgot you’ve never liked what I had to say. I will butt out now.

307 this week.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

Believe it or not, long loads are not super essential to get good miles in regional flatbed. I average 3k+ miles a week with a load average under 500 miles. You’ve just got to be unbelievably efficient. That ending every day with several hours left on your clock is worrisome. Are you loaded or empty? Are you waiting for an appointment time?

The key for me is letting my load planner know what I’m doing. Our planners don’t look for a load for us until we pop up on their board on arrival at receiver. However, we have an eta macro that I abuse, letting the planner know my eta so they can look for a load hours or a day in advance. Other drivers are surprised when I have two or more preplans lined up-means no waiting for a load. Also, if you are waiting for an appointment time to roll around, call someone, your fleet manager or the receiver, just to see if you can deliver ahead of schedule. You’d be surprised how often you can get worked in early.

Ten weeks is still fairly young in your relationship with your home office. It was probably almost a year of on time deliveries and running hard before my fleet manager, load planners, and I really got synched.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Trailer parking break out when parked not at a door

I have never set my trailer brakes when parking. Our trailer air bags deflate when the brakes are set, and some of our trailers drop enough to jam winches into the tires.

Because Rick mentioned it twice: I don’t know the state of everyone’s equipment, but I do not lose enough air on a break or even on a 34 for my brakes to pop. If they do, I’m out looking for an air leak.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Curtained flatbed companies?

Not interested in glass? Supposedly their tarp jobs are much easier.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Hauling drywall mud buckets/ joint compound

Are pallets of drywall buckets ever shipped by dry van? Wouldn't that solve the securement problem or is that impractical? Not cost effective?

I have no doubt they are shipped by dryvan. The reason we carry palletized freight on a flatbed is most often a lack of a dock.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Truck orders

Too funny. We were going with all freightliners but they're so backordered, they couldn't meet our needs so were starting to get in 2020 volvos instead.

That’s what our problem is. We should have had the 15’s phased out by now, but they’re so back ordered, we’ve still got guys in 14’s.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Prime..Do you need your SS card or not???

Bet guys like this are the reason for half the bad reviews of trucking companies on line. When he gets sent home, all we’re going to hear is how Prime lied to him.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

CR England Trucks With Three Bunks

Maverick-there are actually a couple training diaries for this company within the first half dozen pages of that section, plus their recruiters can answer these questions.

Last I knew (things change) it was a week of orientation, four weeks of cdl school, week of securement, then minimum five weeks with trainer. There are some differences in this schedule depending on previous experience, if you already have your cdl, or which division you are going with. Call their recruiter for current training schedules and waiting list times.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

'Bug' permits now required for four eastern states

Yeah, Maverick had us do some training last week for this and there is a form to fill out if we are loading or unloading in these areas.

Posted:  1 month ago

Well this was a fun load

This can happen when all your straps are pulling from the same side.