Profile For andhe78

2 years ago

andhe78's Bio

Maverick flatbed.

andhe78's Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 4 hours ago

Maverick CDL school Flatbed

Some of Dale’s stuff is a little out of date. I’d check out Craig Ryan when he was with Maverick, or Neil Shane Otts.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

This Was A Pain In The Booty

He's a flatbedder though. We all know they can't back for squat. I'm pretty sure their trucks don't even come with mirrors.

Funny, one of the places I’ve picked up at a couple times is a finger dock inside a pole barn. Unfortunately, the door on the barn is narrow enough that you get your trailer lined up in the dock, then fold in your mirrors and back till you feel the bump.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Which company would offer regular home time?

If you want regular hometime, would definitely look into regional flatbed, TMC, Maverick, etc. A lot of them are home every weekend. I’ve talked to Maverick drivers who haven’t missed a weekend home in years. I also know Maverick has several dedicated accounts in NC that get drivers home every night.

Posted:  1 month ago

Open carry firearm

Can't speak to what "mega carrier" he is with, but 99% of them prohibit weapon possession

Mine doesn’t.

Posted:  1 month ago

How long do you think this guy will have a CDL?

I’ve got to wonder (unless it’s a dash cam) if you could get dinged for shooting video “while operating a commercial vehicle” even if you are stopped in traffic. Know they can get you for it at a stoplight or while stopped for a dot inspection.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Coil almost killed me

Any tips?

Lol, don’t post pictures of your securement-the armchair quarterbacks love nitpicking and pictures never tell the whole story. Would I do things different? Sure. More coil racks, beveled timbers, friction mat, different chain hookups, rubberized edge protectors, coil pads, snap binders, alternate pull, etc., because that is how my safety/securement department wants it done. I’ve also got to assume that since you don’t haul steel on a regular basis, you don’t have the optimum equipment setup to do it. Besides, you already seem to know the couple of things on that load DOT might ding you for and I figured you fixed them before heading out.

Glad the fall wasn’t worse than it was. Am always glad my height has allowed me to secure most suicides from the ground. Way too much going on in that little section of real estate to try walking around in it.

Was this a tarped load?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay from companies?

Quick question, are you regional or OTR? I'm just curious because Maverick is one of the companies that I'm very interested in. I assume you do flatbed and not glass due to your tarp pay. Do glass drivers make about the same?

I’m otr. Because of my location, they can only get me home every other weekend. However, I like to stay out for a couple months, then take ten or so days home. Lets me get some “quality” time home instead of just a 34. We haul the same freight in the same lanes as the regional guys, just don’t go home as often. There are some benefits to staying out though.

I am flatbed, and the glass guys do make a couple cents more per mile, but the pay really comes down to how you run. Some glass guys can get 3k miles a week and others struggle to get 1800. Same on the flatbed side.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay from companies?

G-town, I think the other thing people miss is how much ancillary pay we get. You mentioned having to get 4500 miles to gross solo’s amount. Those two examples of mine above are actually on the light side because of how little extra pay I got. The NYC pay was about it. Less tarping in summer, so about $75 lost there. Didn’t make our weekend guarantee either week, so lost out on a couple hundred more. No short loads, no multi-stop, etc. Miles driven is not the only thing on our check, I’ve had weeks grossing almost $3k with only 2k miles driven simply because how our short load pay is set up.

Now, I’m not saying solo isn’t blowing smoking up our butts, and I don’t know all of TMC’s pay structures, but I do know it’s possible with certain regional flatbed outfits.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay from companies?

I don’t know G-town, I’m just out of rookie status in a similar flatbed outfit, running the same way solo does, and am slated for high 90’s this year (and that’s with several weeks at home.) Not unusual for my division, and actually low compared to a couple of our other divisions. Here’s my last two weeks:

0409696001559832876.jpg0328339001559832902.jpg

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Pay from companies?

Ruck, good to hear from you, had been wondering if you’d made it. Sorry to hear it didn’t work out, but sure you’ll find something.

Solo, are you about maxed out on your percentage? How high does it go?

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Average Rate in the Current Market

Cannot believe I’m going to defend a TMC guy. The 1.93 is probably what is going to the truck that he sees a percentage of. Also, Rob, on that other thread, he said he averages 1500 to 1600 a week TAKE HOME. Add a few hundred a week for taxes, and it could work out.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Fuel gauge or mileage?

Susan, those are great tips and I learned a lot from your comment. I was told to put some isopropyl alcohol in the washer fluid reservoir to avoid freeze up. I didn't do that, but I've wondered if that is good advice or bad.

I’ve done this for over twenty years in my personal vehicles with no issue. One other thing, don’t buy the blue washer fluid down south in the winter. Go to a truck stop somewhere that actually has cold winters (Maine, Minnesota, etc.) Can easily find the blue stuff that’s good to -20.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

TMC. New truck color?

Some of their lease ops have different colors.

Could be for a specific dedicated route, too.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Fuel gauge or mileage?

Due to running out of fuel on my very first load because of a faulty gauge, I always use mileage to figure gallons left. My tractor also has a display showing gallons used that is much more accurate than my fuel gauge.

Also of note, I can’t put the maximum amount of fuel in my tanks because the fill hole isn’t on the exact top of the tank. There is still some room in the tank even if they are filled right up to the cap. I run two eighty gallon tanks, at maximum capacity, I’ll be on the side of the road at 130 gallons used.

Posted:  2 months ago

Per Diem pay deductions

What happens in my check that makes it kind of look like that is the company takes my per diem that week ($462), subtracts it from the gross, taxes the new gross, then adds it back to the resulting net.

Posted:  2 months ago

Truckers Path new routing highly inaccurate

It may just be that I’m missing something, but a few updates ago, trucker path started using “air miles.” I hate having to plug everything into google maps to get the actual miles to a truck stop. Used to be able to just do quick math, 300 miles to a stop=six hours. Now there’s extra steps. Unless I’m missing a setting.

Posted:  2 months ago

What Are The Best Truck Stops, And Why?

It’s funny, when I first started, the most important thing when parking was finding a space that I didn’t have to back into, which meant a ton of rest areas. After a few months, the most important thing was a shower every night which meant one of the major truck stops every night. Now days, the most important thing is miles/clock efficiency, so I’ll park in any legal spot that lets me get the most out of my clock.

I do prefer a flying j or large pilot for my 34’s, can use points for laundry at most of them.

Posted:  2 months ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

Neek, here’s my day, 511 miles, four stops. This is how it’s done. Sorry your outfit won’t work with you, going to bed.

Delivery 0700, flat steel, I’m 50 miles away (I don’t do a 34 without running water.) It’s raining so won’t be able to untarp outside, but I know this place, if you show up a half hour before they open, they’ll back you into a bay so you can untarp before 0700. Get there 0635, two trucks in line all dark, I head into shipping, sure enough, get told to back on in. 0700 on the dot, they are unloading me, 0715, back on the road to next load that I was given on Friday. Arrive a bit after 0900. First time here, stone place, one truck ahead of me. (Good time to get loaded, all the guys who started the week with this load are gone, and I’m still ahead of most of the reload guys like me.) Talk to shipping, get all my straps, chains, and tarps ready to go while waiting. 0930 getting loaded. Talk to the loader (I always ask), and it’s ok to secure while being loaded. So by the time the last pallet goes on, I’m just about all secured. Pull up, tarp, 1015, I’m ready to roll. (30 minute break has been snuck in here.) Receiver is a job site, unload before 1500 today, or after 0800 tomorrow. I hit my eta before leaving the yard that I’m going to shoot for the before 1500. This means my load planner will probably either get me a short mile and reload tonight, or longer deadhead and reload first thing tomorrow. Couple hours later get a preplan for a reload tonight. Pull in 1445, two trucks ahead of me pulling tarps. Head over to the forklift guy to see if they can get me in. Am told they go home 1500, no ifs, ands, or buts. Ask him if I get everything off the load in five minutes, if he’ll get me. He says sure, he’s just sitting around waiting for whoever gets ready first. (Here’s a trick I see too few flatbedders do-if there’s room, you don’t have to fold and put everything away while pulling it off the load.) Less than five minutes later, my tarps are just dumped in front of the truck and all my straps are on the ground. I get unloaded, one of the other guys didn’t. Rolled up tarps and straps after the job site left to go home. Helped the other flatbedder put a tarp back on his load (he’s not happy, didn’t realize there was a cutoff.) My reload is a 1630 appointment just a couple miles away, once again I know this place, they will not pull you in even a minute before your appointment. So I run down the road to fuel, shower, and have a quick bite. Now I can park anywhere tonight. Show up at the shipper at 1620, they are happy I’m not clogging up their lot like the seven other guys there, they even look up what I’m getting so I can set up my cradles before pulling in (usually they don’t let you know what to set up for before you’re inside the loading bay.) Couple coils, get set up, get all the tarps and chains I’ll need ready to go. This place has no problem with you securing while they are getting the next piece, so my first coil is all secured by the time they place the second one. Pull up, three more chains, tarp, paperwork, I’m back on the road by around 1730. Drive till my clock runs out.

Posted:  2 months ago

I need help - not getting enough miles

No response andhe?

Sure, but you’re not gonna like it. Instead of wishing for loads you don’t have, figure out how to make the ones you do have, work. Ten weeks is not enough time to reach expert level in clock manipulation, load schedule manipulation, loading speed (don’t show up at noon for example), or even tarping/securement. A bad day for me is anything less than 550 miles and three stops (loading/unloading.) Your problem is as simple as the 350 miles a day with only two stops.

To correct your assumptions, my loads include dh miles. 307 means 3k miles this week with ten loads (eight tarped), which also means some days with two loads and two unloads.

Posted:  2 months ago

Illinois

Have seen this in Ohio and Michigan too. A trooper will have a semi pulled over with another trooper tucked in front of the truck going after those who don’t get over.