Profile For andhe78

Buffalo, NY

Experienced Driver

5 years, 7 months ago

andhe78's Bio

I’ve got gas.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Share Your Numbers From 2022 - How Did You Do?

Over five years driving, fuel hauler. Last year was an odd one for me, found out we were pregnant right at the start of the year, so knew I needed to get off nights and the seventy hour weeks for better family time. Picked up a day shift with fifty hour weeks, so the paycheck took a bit of a hit. Ended up working just eight and a half months and grossing $76,276 for the year.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Mileage Pay?

Probably has to do with the cost of tolls on those roads. Toll prices can really add up if you're taking toll roads often.

That is the obvious answer, but running that stretch of interstate daily, was curious if there was another reason-lack of hut, weather, dot, etc.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Mileage Pay?

My company has a policy to avoid I-90 through New York and PENNA Turnpike, unless necessary.

What's the reasoning behind that?

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Is regional a waste of time, is OTR the more practical path?

One of the things I think this site is skewed on, is how local is looked at. I did two years OTR, have been local for another three years, and while I work with guys who do fourteen hour days with a two hour commute on both ends (which seems to be the prevailing belief around here that all local work is), it's literally by choice. You want to make six figures and live in the sticks, that's what it's going to take. There are other choices though. When we got pregnant last year, I dropped into a 0400-1400 five days a week shift, live seven minutes from the terminal, and still made over 85k for the year. My terminal offers 4, ten hour days weekly shifts and we're not even the only carrier on our block that offers that. I talked to a driver last week working for an equipment rental company who literally works bankers hours and made 75k. You can't tell me local drivers working these shifts aren't getting great family time at home. All I'm saying, is once you get some experience, the local game is not all doom and gloom.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Hi all any thoughts on this offer ?

William, being a Buffalo local driver myself, I've always followed your "journey" with interest, but you really make me scratch my head at times. What is it about this specific regional job that is attractive to you? I could point you toward a dozen local jobs better than this, but I get your desire for a little otr. I haven't been in the market for a new driving job, so wasn't sure what the current offerings were like on indeed. Dude, opening it up, there's a ton of better regional/otr jobs hiring out of this area. So it brings me back to what about this offer has you so excited?

Heck, I mentioned it to you months ago, you want a regional job, home every weekend, talk to Maverick glass about hauling out of their Geneva plant.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Western NY snow event

Must be a slow news day-the bands that get lake effect snow every year, got some lake effect snow. Areas 30 minutes south get worse every year. Our terminal is still making every delivery.

The thruway ban is good and bad, keeps the otr drivers who haven’t seen snow out of the area, but forces us local drivers down the backroads.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Diesel Supply Shortage?

I'm switching to different tractors next week apparently. I also get to certify during the first wintry Mix Tuesday. Adds a little spice to the experience. Off to west Virginia this morning then up by the troutville scales for another. Keep the rubber side down, way down.

The best advice for fuel tankers in snow is make sure compartment one doesn't get drained until the last stop. Weirdly enough, everyone runs chains if needed around here without a second thought.

Interesting about the shortages down there, nothing like that at all around here. In fact, our main refinery has been running gas sales for the last two weeks to try to get rid of some inventory-makes it a pain because every fuel hauler in a tri-state area comes crawling out of the woodwork, and rack times are now three plus hours. I haven't had an allocation problem in over a year though. We pull out of three actual refineries and a dozen or so tank farms. I know a couple of our tank farms have been pulling diesel storage loads out of the refineries for winter blending for the last couple weeks at probably a million-plus gallons a week. Odd how we have a glut of product here and you have none.

That tipped over trailer is a good example of why we NEVER drop a loaded trailer-we're so nose heavy, the landing gear will insta-collapse. We'll pump off the front compartments if we have to.

Touching on the topic of fumes from earlier, may just be a NY thing, but they are super strict about vapor recovery around here. The driver and the company will both be fined if caught without the vapor hose hooked up properly. Anyone can blow you in to the DEC, even the attendants-fire marshals like to go around checking this out too. So, I can dump gas all day, and still not smell like it end of shift.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Please give me feedback on my shifting (video)

What is the technique for slipping it into gear? I've been able to get it into 2 a few times while creeping at 4 mph, by giving it a small rev.

Ok, my worst muscle memory problem was pushing the clutch to floor. In my reply, I'm not even talking about floating. So, I'm coming up to a stop, shifted down to let's say fifth. I roll up until just before lugging, then push in the clutch part-way and roll the few feet to a stop. Most common thing I see (even in very experienced guys) is putting the clutch to the floor while rolling-once you've actually stopped, then it's fine. So, I'm rolling in fifth, clutch partially depressed and I come to a stop-believe it or not, I'll usually put it into my starting gear without pressing the clutch in any further, it's the synchronization thing, at a full stop, at the right moment, I can drop it into second without having to engage the clutch brake. Now I'm ready to take right off without having to bring the clutch out of the full depress. Also great if a light turns green, I'm rolling up in fifth, and have the start of a double clutch, light turns, depending on my road speed and weight, I can just complete a double clutch into second, third, or fourth. I've actually watched guys try to do this with a fully depressed clutch, and it's rough. To break my muscle memory problem, I literally put the clutch on the floor as rarely as possible.

Hard for me to pick up problems on a video (nice vid, btw), but fourth sure does have your number. A lot of shifting for me was just practice, hundreds of reps every shift as a city driver, tinkering with techniques until finding what worked.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Please give me feedback on my shifting (video)

Definitely. Foot through the floor when you're taking off from a stop. With the clutch fully engaged you will engage the clutch-brake and will be able to get right into gear.

That's why shops are replacing clutch brakes every two weeks. The only time I put the pedal to the floor is putting the truck in gear for the first time after starting the engine, or going from reverse to forward or vice versa. Coming to a stop while driving, you can slip it into gear every time without having to engage the clutch brake. Gotta synchronize better.

personally, I usually engine brake to slow down, slip out of gear, rev to about 1700 and slip down into the next gear

Man, 1700 seems high, with our Pete's, the shop will literally call us if we rev them over 1500.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

PC under load.

I would never use PC on customer property, unless you are leaving to go park off-site. That's a falsifying logs issue. If anything, I would creep along at under 5 mph to get into the dock.

Just playing devil’s advocate here (doesn’t matter to me, I’ve done pc, ym, and the creep), but isn’t doing the creep also technically falsifying your logs? rofl-2.gif

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

PC under load.

The 16 hour exemption causes confusion, as well; especially for us 'mostly' intrastate drivers, aka: home daily/local.

If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday, you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour driving window to 16 hours once every 7 consecutive days. Note, you only have to arrive/depart for FIVE consecutive days to your yard, to qualify; however.

~ Anne ~

confused.gif sorry.gif confused.gif

Actually, a 34 will reset it without needing the seven days. It doesn’t extend your drive time, you still only have 11 hours there. And weirdly enough, taking it legally in the states, then for example crossing the border a few days later and running under Canadian rules of service, will give the Canadian dot fits. The company has had to have two hos violations I got because of this data-q’d off. They really don’t like seeing even a legal 16 (in the states) in your log history up there.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

TMC has mounted TVs W/DirecTV capabilities

I'm not a fan of the digital gauges. They're too bright at night, messing up what you can see in your mirrors and even if you do bring the brightness down, there's still some glare. Also, when you restart the truck it just shows the speedometer. You have roll the dial on the steering wheel to bring up the entire cluster.

Fortunately, ours have a dimmer switch. We’ve been having a problem with them locking up, had to have the shop show me the other night how to reset it without detaching the ground.

Posted:  5 months ago

Hey Anna A.!

ps: Forgot to mention, we've also been in touch with Crossett (AndHe78's company;) w/ the LPG tanks. I'm more 'liking' on that then Tom is, however. He's getting old, at a faster rate than I am, somehow. It's definitely NOT a 'no touch' freight situation.

Lol, he's not wrong. Every fall, our guys at or near retirement age start their rumblings on whether they want to battle another winter. Propane and asphalt are not bad, but gas work gets old really fast in the cold and snow.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Super sleeper trucks

BK, you must be thinking sailboat fuel~!

Countryside trailers calls this a 'tri axle,' but I'm thinking from AndHe's pics/post (MAN, Crossett is BAD ARSKE, Kudos!) the axle NEAREST to the 5th wheel may inDEED be a tag axle.

And yessir, this indeed is an LPG tank, as well. Sheesh, I don't even have my CDL yet, and I'm reaching for the stars, haha!

I've always LOVED the 'tank life' .. but then again, that's all I trained in. I sure loved the added visibility, between the rear window in the daycab, and the 'non square/obtrusive' box following, haha!

In your picture, the tag is the rear axle, all our trailers have the tag in front of the axle group, either two and a lift axle or three and the lift. All our tags are steerable too, which can take a minute to get used to. Seven total axles (truck and trailer) are all we can do in NY.

Running over the border, that's where the trailers get interesting. The six axle tankers are a group of four with either two lifts in front, or one in front and one behind. Rare to see in lp, most of them and the gas guys run b's and super b's. You'll see the super single tanks in the asphalt rack-I'm sure you can figure out why those guys don't usually run a tag trailer.smile.gif

The big lp trailers can get interesting to drive, great in the winter because they're so heavy empty. But we only have a couple that are baffled. No big deal with propane, since they are built to max out weight when the tank is 90% full of propane. But hauling butane, which is heavier--that surge in a smooth bore only 70% full with a gvw of 117k pounds will get you real smooth real quick.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Super sleeper trucks

0862388001661032100.jpg

And we REALLY need a thread on trailers, (G'Town!) ... because..WHY is this called a TriAxle and not a Quad? Is one a Tag Axle, and I don't see it?!?!? These are the 'big boys' like Ruan pulls; isn't this mostly LPG.. or ?!?!?

I'm easily amused on the sidelines; don't mind me! A 'trailer' thread SURE WOULD be educational, though...G'Town! {wink wink!}

:) Anne :)

Similar to what we pull.

0586011001661045660.jpg

Not sure who calls them tri axles, we use quad for those rigs and tri for our three axle trailers. What’s funny though, while this is a big trailer in the states, in Canada, I’ve seen six axles under lp trailers.

That rig above is over 50k empty.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

TMC cheap freight? OTR Flatbeds that run western half of the country?

Melton is a fine company, but Prime would certainly meet your needs also. Have you looked into Jordan or Maverick? Many of the flatbed companies are regionalizing their runs because their drivers want to be home for weekends. Prime may be your best option.

Yeah, I’d definitely look at Maverick, doubt their regular flatbed hires that far east, but their glass division might, and those guys run all 48 and Canada.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

My horrible experience with Schneider training center in Phoenix AZ, read before you apply

mis-naming meals (like grilled chicken sandwich for ground chicken patty

My favorite complaint of the whole rant!!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Need advice on manual vs automatic

Talk to Maverick about their dedicated glass out of Geneva. I was chatting with the account manager over there a few months back-pretty sweet gig if you have no problems crossing the border or with nyc. Would be my first call if I felt like going back over the road.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Need advice on manual vs automatic

I’ll second Anne, as a Buffalo local driver, I’ve been interested in your journey, and wonder what your future driving plans may be.

Posted:  8 months ago

Flatbed Securement Discussion 2022

This thread needed a bump, but..

@andhe78 .... how the heck have YOU BEEN ?!?!?!

I've got the answer, already . . . you've been MISSED!!

;) Anne ;)

Busy. Not flatbed, but I did owe you a pic… Me, now.

0962191001653709264.jpg