Comments By Adam J.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-blur.jpg avatar
  • Adam J.
  • 5 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 year, 12 months ago

Scenario for new drivers

New guy here..... Call dispatch first off. I think dragging the dumpster out of the way would work but risky if the chain snapped or damaged the ground. I think coming in at an angle would work but it would be harder as I would think there would be limited vision. I would try to back under part way and raise the 5th wheel and try to move the trailer a little to get it angled. Once it is angled, back all the way under, hook and go. Not sure if it would work or not. Just my thought

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

CLP Testing on tomorrow

Good luck. I am waiting from DMV here in Maine to set up my test date. Going to get my DOT psychical if I get of work at a decent hour Friday.

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

So..I kind of did a thing today...

I spoke to recruiter yesterday and was accepted into the Student Driver Program. Paperwork sent into DVM for permit test. Got notice to schedule for DOT physical before July 4. Things are rolling right along, hopefully DMV moves quickly as well. Now just to wait......

Posted:  2 years, 1 month ago

So..I kind of did a thing today...

I have been a member of this site for a number of years now. I have kept to the shadows and lurking around. For a refresher here you go. I have wanted to drive for many years now but have always put it off for one reason or another. The plan was I was going to go after Destiny (my daughter) graduated High School in 2017. However..she went off to college and I just could not leave the home without anyone to take care of it, so I put it off **hangs head**. The plan then was going to be once the pseudo-daughter graduated from college I would head out. Well she graduated in May this year. Stupid COVID-19 hit and everything got messed up. I have been busy studying the High Road Training on here (great program). I completed my application this morning with a company and got a call a few hours later. They are looking at the middle of July to get me out for training provided I pass the DOT psychical and Permit test. I was hoping to go sooner, but mid-July works as well. Only question/concern I have is getting everything done in 30 days and am a little nervous about how long it will take the motor vehicle department to get me in for testing. There are many many steps, but today was one of the biggest so far. Stay turned as I plan to keep people updated.

Who is stuck in school with no CDL permit?

I am not in school, but I am getting cranky about it. I have been studying the High Road Training program here (great resource). My original plan was to start once my daughter graduated high school in 2017. Life happens and it was put off. I made up my mind before my birthday in Feb this year that it was going to happen. Started studying and reading. I planned on going in May after my pseudo-daughter graduated from college with her masters. Then BAM!!!! nope not gonna happen. Schneider is not holding the training program anymore. So much for Plan A. Plan- B Prime... a little longer training program so I am OK with that. I decided to hold off until end of June when the fiscal year ends so I get my bonus where I am now. Called BMV yesterday to ask a couple of questions. They are not sure when they will open back up and there is a wait list for CDL testing. I planned on starting the process with Prime in mid June with a plan to head out in mid July. I am not sure what will happen now as everything is still closed down. Just becomes a waiting game..... grrrrrr... I am so ready for change and get out of Mental Health work....

New Article By Kearsey - Do Driver Retention And Turnover Rates Matter?

Great article...I thought that was Rainy, and was wondering about the name change. Thanks for the good read.

Geocaching~!!

It does link to Geocaching app in that it tracks finds. With the c:geo app I can find any difficulty or terrain. I use both apps when I am out looking though. It is a stand alone app that is free. I am just a cheap person I guess.. :)

Geocaching~!!

I use the Geocaching app. I also downloaded the app c:geo from the Google play store. The c:geo is free and the geocaching official app has limits on what type of caching you can do unless you pay.

Trip plan (check my math?)

Now keep in mind...I have yet to start. Although I am in the middle of the High Road Training Program (awesome so far) and plan to be heading out in May after a college gradation (pseudo-daughter is graduating with her Masters so I gotta be there) . Would it have been better to leave the original delivery time until you got closer? Just thinking if you hit traffic issues, construction, weather you would not have put your self in a position to cut it so close or risk being late. Once you are closer and know that time would not be such a major issue then check to see if the time can be moved up? Just a thought and for my own knowledge. I know everyone does things different and I understand not wanting to sit on a load if you don't need to.Thoughts??

Looks like Dutch Maid Logistics 3/2 or 3/9 works!

Oh my.....only one week though ? I think the pic should be the profile for at least a month. :)

PackRat's 2020 Daily Driving Diary

Sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts go out to you and the family. Thank you for starting this thread, it has been an interesting read.

Pop quiz mostly for newbies

It looks like it is sitting low. Not much clearance. Is the load shifted? Perhaps something with the suspension? That would be my guess

What are some hobbies you do?

Gee.... I though I was the only one has done geocaching. I enjoy it as a way to kill time. Granted I am not on the road yet, but when I travel or work I am always looking for them. There is also another game called Munzee. I think you can Google it for more info.

Interesting. I don't remember this thread but it's a good idea.

Often my days are so busy there simply isn't time for a hobby. I eat, shower, harass y'all on TT for a bit, then get some sleep and prepare for the next day.

However, when time allows I really enjoy something called geocaching. You can Google it or go to geocaching.com to get more details, but basically it's an outdoors-based global scavenger hunt of sorts. It's totally free, though there is a premium version for $30 a year that gives you a few more features. But it isn't necessary.

There are literally millions of "caches" hidden worldwide in open public spaces. Some can be as simple as a paper log for you to sign. Others can be a box full of little trinkets or gifts that you swap for one of your own. Some can be within a hundred yards or so from where you sit right now at the truck stop. I'd almost bet there is.

The idea is to use your phone, tablet, or handheld GPS to search for and navigate to the cache locations. Once found, you simply sign the log and leave it right where it was for the next searcher. Then you log it online as found and move on to the next one.

There's no winning or losing in this hobby. Just some adventure and stealth, plus getting you outdoors to see places you may never have seen otherwise.

I urge anyone who likes adventure and exploration to look into it and give it a shot. It can be done by any age group and by someone of any activity level. Many caches are wheelchair accessible as well.

This... I'm completely stunned. 2nd year in a row

Congrats. That is awesome news.

The First Year Trap - Article By Rainy

I read this article when it was first published. I enjoyed re-reading it again and thanks for the update. I kind of figured he was not going to last long. I went off the radar for a time but I am now back (I had to take care of a ton of personal things and make some tough decisions about my future). I recently told a friend of mine that my out look is that when I go OTR my job is to get the load there on time (early if possible) not complain about things and most of all......doing it all safely. I have learned a lot about the "behind the scenes" stuff in being here. One thing that I have overlooked though.....getting to meet the office staff especially the dispatcher. When I plan to make the jump....I will for sure bring him a cup of coffee and sit down with them. It is easy to forget that communication is a huge key to being a success at what ever I chose to do.

Looking to getting into trucking and also an introduction

Good luck and welcome

Companies That Hire with Automatic Restriction

I remember those. My dad had a '63 Valient with push button. I so wish he kept that car.

Anyone remember push button automatic transmissions? :)

Is the school bus stuff really necessary?

I was wondering thw same thing, but was not sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me Rainy (I see you changed your pic)

Keeping a level head

My thoughts go out to you and the entire family.

Time to buy a CB radio

Back years ago (1993 ish) I drove from CT to Wyoming and eventually back to CT. I had a cb for that trip and found it a huge help knowing what was coming up and planning my trip (even though I was only driving my car). Going through St. Louis at night I heard on the cb that gang iniation then was to drive with headlights off. When someone flashed you they wod turn and round and round and follow you u til you stopped. Once you stopped they would shoot you. Knowing that information from the cb I knew what not to do when I saw a car driving around with his lights off and kept on driving. I was not sure if it was true of just talk but I wasn't going to find out.