Comments By Adam J.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/truck-blur.jpg avatar
  • Adam J.
  • Comments:

Heading to Atlanta!

Glad to hear that you are finally on the road. Sounds like twittling my thumbs is a skill I am going to have to learn. I just remembered one of my questions...do I need to have my permit before going or is that something I get there? I ask because it seems a week of training before hitting the road doesn't seem like much time to get everything done that needs to be.

Schneider training is changing

I know you are just getting started but how long did it take from the time you applied to go to training? How long (if you know) does it take to get paid? Hopefully my daughter will get her license which is one thing holding me up. I can not just leave her here in rural Maine with no transportation. Her birthday is next month and I am looking to go a week or so after her birthday. I am just trying to figure out how long it will be (roughly) without an income

Adam I sent you a Facebook message.

Don’t worry Old School, any non personal information will be shared here. 🙂

Schneider training is changing

I would send you a message, but there is no link in the profile. If you click on the link in mine it takes you to my Facebook. I do have a couple of questions. 1) I was told that I would have to pay for the classes and they would reimburse me. I don't have the funds to pay for it out of pocket, can't get a loan and seemed to hit a dead end with them (although I did do the pre-hire and was approved). That was about a year ago now though. I was looking hard at them but that kind of killed the deal for me. I could look into it more now as things change I forget the other questions right this second, but I am sure there were a couple.

I looked into schnieder to get my CDL and was told they did not do company sponsored training, but that was about a year and a half ago. If it is true they are doing training I guess I should check with them again

Yeah Adam, they’ve done company sponsored training this whole time, they just farmed it out to Trainco instead of doing it in-house. You didn’t see it on the website because they just told their instructors the other day. It won’t move that quickly. Here’s what you do if you’re interested in Schneider. Either call the number on their website and they’ll send you to their sponsored Schneider National school, or check with the local school of your choice and ask if they have a local Schneider recruiter. He/she can get you sponsored by Schneider right there. If you have any questions, send me a message and I’ll do my best to find answers for you. You can also give the recruiter my driver number and they’ll give me a bonus, lol! 😂 Seriously, it’s a great company. Very strict and serious but safety is the number one concern around here. Best of luck!

The Joys of small town receivers.

Great story....It goes to show that sometimes it is the small gestures that make the most impact. That personal touch made not only a difference that day but for the future.

I was doing quite a few back-to-back pickups at one grain elevator in an itty-bitty town in Kansas, hauling milo to Salina. The old boy who ran the little elevator was just a grump. Someone pee'd in his Cheerios every morning, I think. After a couple days of this, I stopped him mid-whine and asked him if he liked banana bread? He gave me a puzzled look, "What the heck does that mean?" I asked him again if he liked banana bread. He said he did. I ran out to the truck and brought back a loaf of homemade banana bread my wife had made. She made several small loaves to send out with me that week. His eyes lit up and his whole demeanor changed! He apologized for acting up all week and went back to work with a little hitch in his giddy-up and some banana bread in his tummy. He gave us his personal cell phone number and told us to call ANYTIME and he'd come down to load us, day or night. After all, "He lived just down the block and usually didn't have anything better to do."

LOL

smile.gifdancing-banana.gifsmile.gifdancing-banana.gif

Schneider training is changing

I just checked the website for schnieder. Unless they have not updated the information (which is possible) they say you need to have the CDL prior to orientation.

Schneider training is changing

Prime CDL Training

The next two weeks will fly by. Good thinking to get there early. Now if my daughter will get her drivers license I will be heading that way soon I hope

Passed my CDL driving Test!!!!

Congratulations. That is great to hear. Keep up the good work

PRIME, advice and questions

The ice cooler was my second thought behind a fridge. I carry a small cooler now when I work (which includes a lot of driving) for my water. I have a cooler at home (I think) and could grab that when I get done with the TNT part and head in the direction of home. The worry I would have of getting a used fridge at a truck stop is that it no longer would work (not saying someone would screw me over) but in my mind it makes better sense to go new and nor worry about it.

And heres a thought.. do you need a fridge? i didnt get one until i took my first student. the first 18 mos, i used an ice cooler... $25 which i got for free thanks to truck stop rewards points and bought ice via points. i kept lunch meats and drinks right next to me. yeah, the ice melts so you need to keep dumping it. yeah it can be heavy... and yeah things can get wet if you dont put them in tupperware type of containers.... but free vs $500 fridge is a huge difference. some of the nicer iceless plug in coolers are like $100.

of course, folks are always selling things off their trucks at the terminal. splitter got a used fridge for like $60 or something. bleach it and you are good to go!!! lol

rewards points are great! i bought a GPS with a large amount of points and a $150 head set. that iceless cooler would be obtainable in a couple months.

PRIME, advice and questions

I do enjoy reading what Rainy writes. As far as tricking out a truck...guilty...I have thought about it. After careful thought all I really "need" is a small fridge (to keep water cold and sandwich makings..perhaps some frozen burritos) and a coffee maker so I can have some coffee when I wake up or need to stay awake. Anything other then that for me is not needed. I hope you do write the article, Rainy, I would read and comment on it.

PRIME, advice and questions

Thank you,Rainy. I read through that other post. I guess the biggest thing is going without a paycheck for 2-4 weeks. It would be different if I had a spouse who was working, but being a single guy (who is already behind on some bills due to fluctuating work schedule as it is) do I want to really risk losing my phone, having lights turned off or anything else (looking worst case). I was leaning toward PRIME (I have heard and read alot about them and the training) and I hate to look at the hard reality of the weekly pay while in training. It may be better to go with a lower CPM to start and just try to run harder then to risk falling further behind.

Everyone here has been helpful and I appreciate that. There are a lot of things to take into account and I have got some more homework to do I guess. I have been able to whittle my bills down but not sure if I can swing the couple weeks without a check. Who ever said adulting was easy.......lied. it is almost too much to absorb at times.

PRIME, advice and questions

Dege78- Yes I have looked into Roehl and that is one of the options that I was considering. I was leaning toward PRIME because I have seen a number of their trucks up here in Maine. I was thinking it makes no sense (to me anyway) to try to get with a company that does not run in my area. I was also thinking that a larger company like PRIME it would be easier for me to get hired and not stand out if I make errors (which is part of the learning curve)

PRIME, advice and questions

I have started reviewing the High Road CDL and have found it very helpful. I am only around 13% but I find that it is very helpful so far. I am not sure what I have I can sell, but I should figure something out as this is something I really want to do. Even if I fail, at least I tried.

Here's a tip that will greatly help you prepare for the permit tests. You said...

I would ditch that plan and go with studying the High Road CDL Training Program. That will make a huge difference in your ability to grasp and retain all the information you need to know. It will give you a tremendous headstart over the other students and will likely get you connected with your first trainer much quicker.

PRIME, advice and questions

I am going to say sorry now if this post is long, but I feel I need to explain my situation a little and ask for advice before I jump. I currently work in mental health and have since 2004. I am fried....burnt out however, money is tight being a single parent. On the good side my daughter (who I have had for the last 9 years) has graduated high school, went away to college (flunked out) is back home and working in fast food. I have been looking into trucking and think I have found the best fit for me. I have spoken to the kiddo and she is going to stay home to take care of the house and cats. One of the big things is the pay. I have spoken to recruiters (I know....they will say almost anything to get people to sign in). I have a couple of questions. The biggest one is the pay... In my reading the information it appears that I do not get paid for orientation while I am in Springfield, MO but they do pay for my transportation out there and meals. "orientation" is approx 4 days (to get my permits and line up trainers for the next phase I would assume) . After the first 4 days the way I read it I will be assigned a trainer and will be on the road. At that point do I start getting paid? I can skim by with 4 days of no pay (as my current job holds back 2 weeks on my pay). This is my biggest concern, going several weeks without any pay which I will fall further behind in my bills. I have been studying the manual and trying to gear my self up for the change as it is huge. My huge concern is the financial aspect, I plan to be a company driver and know that the first year is the hardest, but I feel ready for the change and look forward to at least trying. I know a lot of people from PRIME are on here and hope they will be able to help ease my mind.

Prime CDL Training

I have a couple of those as well...the laptop also has a USB port so it can charge that way worse comes to worse. :)

Ah yes, they have Wi-Fi, but your going to need a regular household charger to charge your phone. As they don't have a USB connection on the bus.

Prime CDL Training

I plan to apply to Prime as well. I hope to be doing the application either the end of this month or the start of next (depends on when my daughter gets her drivers license). She will be home taking care of the house while I am gone, so she needs to be able to get around.I am also doing the High Road Trucking Program little by little (couple of pages here and there daily) I can not wait for my 36 hour bus trip, but with my laptop on the bus I can continue to study. The thing that will be hardest for me (I think) will be the pre-trip.

Status Change. 😀

Congratulations. I hope that you have many more years to celebrate.

Werner hit with 90 million dollar lawsuit

So very sad for the families of all involved. The pickup crossed the median and in to the oncoming traffic. The poor truck driver (tip of my hat to them for avoiding accident) hits the pick up and it's the truckers fault?? **shaking head** how is the driver of the pick up not to blame for at least part of it? He got a citian for going too fast. If the road conditions were so bad for the trucker to be parked....why was a pickup truck with kids in it out on the road? It could have been much worse (imagine if the pickup hit a car load of kids).

Dakota's Prime Inc. Diary

Hi, all. I read this thread with great interest. I am in the middle of a career /lifestyle change. I plan to go with Prime when the time is right for me, hopefully that will be in the next couple months as I have to finish putting things in place. Aside from the PSD and TNT trainers, how is the program and the people that are there? I have noticed noticed a bunch of Prime people on here and they all seem to want to help us newbies

Show Me The Money! Article by Old School

Good article. I was just talking to my dad last night about trucking and my desire to get my CDL