Profile For Stacy M-Yellow Wolf

Stacy M-Yellow Wolf's Info

Stacy M-Yellow Wolf's Bio

I am a farmer, a foodie, an artist and a writer. Love books, dogs, kayaking, adventure, good food, riding horses, gardening, painting, sailing and meeting people and hearing their stories. I have driven a 5+ton truck and hauled show horses up and down the East Coast. I have the motto that if I can drive it in, then I can back it out! Never driven a semi and never traveled as much as I would like to. Looking at trucking companies and schools. Want to be an OTR driver and see some country with my dogs. 🚚🐶

Starting My New Career-putting in Applications

Thank you guys for the encouragement. Unfortunately, things are not coming together right now where I can be gone from home for training and working OTR. I am not giving up by any means but it could be 1-2 years before I can get on the road. In the mean time, I am trying to get on locally with a trucking company in an office position and I will continue to study and learn. NC has tons of trucking companies. Packrat, Millis was one company that I talked to and they wanted to offer me a job/training when I was ready to go. I will continue to learn while I work toward my goal of getting on the road. Thankful for this forum and I will continue to enjoy reading about your journeys while I work toward mine.🙃💪

Company Training and Non-Compete

Brett and G-Town, thank you for weighing in on this. As someone at the very beginning of starting a career in trucking, this whole story was disturbing. I had already made up my mind that no one would make me do anything that I felt was unsafe. I would rather go too slow, take an extra few moments to understand something, leave too large a following distance than cause a wreck and kill someone. And if that means that a company thinks that I am not catching on fast enough for them then so be it. Dart-I wish you luck. Thank you for sharing all of your story. Everything in life is a learning experience. Stay safe out there.

Why do so many people get booted out of trucking? This is why...

Yikes! Here is to hoping that he doesn't ever make it into a truck. I just do not get what is wrong with some people. Having an attitude just makes your life harder in every way. 😯

Making sure everything is in order before training

Congratulations on starting your training with Swift! I look forward to reading how it goes fir you. I am in central NC, so not far from Richmond. Enjoy your training!

About to Start Training with Roehl

Well, while my last trainer and I thought things were going well, today marks the end of my journey with Roehl.

Provided another company will take me, I'm not giving up.

I hate to hear that. I am glad that you are not giving up though . Get back out there and find a good fit for you. Best of luck Dart!

Starting My New Career-putting in Applications

I feel for ya. I'm in the countdown myself... I'm waiting another year before I take the plunge.

Thank you Han Solo Cup! Love your handle by the way. I am from the South where red Solo cups are part of the good china! 😂😂😂 I am excited and everyone has been extremely nice and professional. I have a couple of months before I can take off to school myself. I wanted to get the ball rolling in case I needed to get extra paperwork together. I love driving and I am excited. I used to haul show and race horses and will probably do that again one day but I want to drive OTR for awhile first. 🐴

Starting My New Career-putting in Applications

Possible Application Roadblocks

I said that I would share the two things that I was concerned about in contacting companies regarding trucking school. The first is small. I have been self-employed for the last 12+ years. Companies want a solid work history and proof of that. One company asked for the last 3 years of tax records and some company invoices from this year showing my customers, products, etc. Another company asked for a couple of references that could verify that I owned my own business. Another will pull up my full employment history-no problem. The biggie for me, and for some of you out there, is that I have a felony. It was nonviolent, has nothing to do with driving and was 15 years ago. Still that is a stumbling block and one that still bothers me a great deal to talk about. But, I really want to drive and I had to get past worrying about it and move forward. I was completely up front on every written/ online application and while talking to the recruiters. I totally own what I did and do not try and blame anyone else for my choices. I think this part is crucial-own your mistakes always. The recruiters did not feel like it would be an issue especially since I have a very good driving and work record and have never done drugs or had problems with alcohol. Time will tell but it felt good to get everything out in the open and get the ball rolling.

Starting My New Career-putting in Applications

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and sent out my application through Trucking Truth inquiring about companies that had CDL schools and were hiring out of NC. I do not have a company that I am going with yet, but I thought I would share the very beginning of the process and how it was working for me. I received an email from TT saying that my information was sent to 6 companies-TMC, Wil-Trans/ Jim Palmer, PAM, Millis Transfer, Roehl Transport and CRST. There are a couple of other companies that I am interested in so I will contact them on my own. I received calls and emails from Wil-Trans, PAM and Millis this morning. TMC sent an email asking me to fill out an application that included consent to pull driving records, drug tests, employment history and a back ground check. CRST oddly sent a brief text asking if I would interested in team driving. I replied that I was only interested in solo OTR. No reply back. I have been reading, studying and taking tests and keeping a notebook. I have made a page for each company that interests me with notes and highlights on what interests me about that company. (Honestly, I could go with any of them and be happy to be working for them. The differences are small.) On the back, I put the recruiter's name, contact info and notes about our conversations and my next steps. There are a couple of things that I felt like I needed to talk to the companies about to see if I would even be accepted into their CDL programs. I will make a seperate post about that. I am so excited about the prospect of driving that I was shaking when I called the first recruiter back. I am really going to do this! 😃🚚⛟🚛🚚

Applying to Companies After Being Self-Employed

You would have to give them last 5 years of just your Schedule F from your taxes or Schedule C if you were filing that way. i also had to go to IRS and get tax transcript for same 5 years. it only took me hour at IRS office to get it and free. They also wanted letter from my accountant but since I filled my own taxes I got a letter from my banker that verified i was in business for More than 5 years.

Ah, thank you. I have never heard of a tax transcript. I file my own also. Great info!

Applying to Companies After Being Self-Employed

Thank you OS! I was hoping that tax returns would be enough. I have never not worked or drawn unemployment, even when I got laid off from one job when the company changed hands-I went right back out and found another job.

Applying to Companies After Being Self-Employed

Hey guys- I am lining up my life ( LOL) to get ready to apply to a company sponsered trucking school next year. I know that work history is a big thing. I have been self-employed as a farmer for the last 15 years. Before that I always had a job, usually staying 5-12 years with the same company. Worked hard, got promoted, have good references. My question is how do I prove my self-employment? Has anyone ever experienced this? I have yearly taxes, can get references from my chefs and store owners that I sell to, etc. Farming was a dream of mine and I have loved it but it is time to move on. I am ready to start driving NOW! And thank you guys who are in CDL school and taking time to post. Those posts are very helpful and I love reading them. I hope to add my own some day and help someone else. Hurricane Irma just showed herself in central NC. Luckily the old girl is fairly worn out now! Drive safe everyone.

Would You?

What do "T-called" and "repowered" mean, please?

Passed My CDL

Awesome! Your journey is just beginning-enjoy every minute of it and congratulations!!! 🙌🙌🙌👍

Ride Along On The Road With Old School

Anytime you can get something done a day early like this you are just setting yourself up to be ready for another load. We speak a lot in here about how the pay on this job is performance based. I'm trying to share with you my methods and the reasons behind them so that you can see the way to success in this career. Staying ahead of the game, and having a dispatcher that understands that you are going to do what it takes to stay ahead will definitely help you stay at the top of the food chain. Don't even concern yourself with whether your company can "give you enough miles" - you just get out there and consistently prove to them that you will do what ever it takes to keep things moving along faster than the average drivers and you will have all the miles you can handle

OS I am enjoying this thread SO much and trying to soak up every little bit of info about trip planning that I can.

I want to turn miles and make a good paycheck and push myself to be better and better. And make time to explore a little along the way.

I love the photo of you and your daughter from Silver Dollar City! OK-now back to reading!

Advice on Trucking School Timeline/Applying

Thank you Brett! It would be so convenient to go to a school near home but I want to go where there is the best chance of me getting a job. I am very loyal to the people that I work for and totally get that they would be investing in me. I am not looking to company-hop and I don't get bent out of shape over every little thing that happens and go looking for someone else to blame. I truly love the tone that you all keep on here of work hard, own your mistakes and stay positive. I don't look at any other forums, no need to. I did download and play with the Truckerpath app and could not believe the whining and childish nature of the reviews. Geez people, lol. Anyway-thanks again-fantastic site. Makes me feel much more confident that I can be prepared and make it through school, testing and training and be a valuable employee for someone. ⛽🚚🚛🚚⛟

Advice on Trucking School Timeline/Applying

I apologize-this is a bit long. I want to drive OTR-like tomorrow, lol-but I have a few things that need to be taken care of before I can be gone for weeks at a time. I would truly appreciate any input and opinions.

Mainly, I am wondering if I should go ahead and start applying to companies with schools or wait until I am closer to being able to leave.

I want to apply to company schools and know ( if training goes well) that I have a job after training. There are several private trucking schools near me, but I cannot pay for them up front.

I do not mind being alone and I love to drive. I used to haul show horses up and down the East Coast. The biggest rig that I have driven was a 5+ton truck with a 33' ft trailer. No trouble driving or backing it, even into very tight spots. I have always been in management or been self-employed so I am a self-starter and like pushing myself towards my goals. I have a clean driving record and I have never done drugs of any kind. I have been self-employed for the last 15 years so I am not sure how I go about verifying employment for that. I have good references from former employers that I still keep in touch with. I work hard for my employers and I don't jump around to different jobs.

I am 53, and a full time farmer. I am single, no children/family. I raise and sell livestock and meat. I want to keep the farm until I have been through school and driven for at least a year. I will hire an intern to live and work here while I am gone.

However, I do have some health issues that I want to work on before going to a CDL school. I was already in the process of losing weight and eating better before I decided that I want to get my CDL. I want to lose more weight and get a good physical before I go to a school. I have a knee that bothers me sometimes and if losing weight does not help it, then I may need surgery. I can climb in and out of a truck right now but it is painful.

So, with hiring and training an intern, getting the farm through the winter and getting my health issues resolved, I am looking at probably March 2018 before I can hit the road.

So when should I start applying to company schools? Should I apply to several at one time? Any benefit to going to one of the local, private schools that I might be missing?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

The Nerves Are Hitting

I leave for Charlotte, NC tomorrow for my first driving job, and my nerves are all jacked up. Its the first job I've ever driven more than an hour for (made house calls as an HVAC tech) and I've never been to Charlotte before.

Hey Matthew- Congratulations for making it to your own truck! I live outside of Charlotte so just a word of advice. Keep your eyes on the other cars and keep a large following distance. The highways going into Charlotte will be just flowing along and then you will round a corner onto 3-4 lanes of stopped traffic ( and you are still outside the city). It bottlenecks with no warning so be prepared. Read your signs to get where you are going and take your time. It is not a bad city to drive in if you have a little patience and watch the traffic around you. You can do it! 🙌👊🖒

Eclipse Coming! Be careful how you watch.

Just a bump up. I live in Memphis, TN. The word on radio & TV news, and often posted on highway letter signs, is traffic will be horrible along the totality line. Maybe think Game Day Around The Stadium traffic in that line from Oregon to South Carolina.

Primarily, if you are anywhere in the USA, do not try even glancing at the sun. Read the original post again.

NC has been running messages across the electronic highway signs about bad traffic on Monday. Supposed to be total by 2:45pm here. I am going to sit right on my farm and watch it and the reactions of the animals. Everyone driving-be safe tomorrow!!! 🚚⛟🚛🚚

Seeks HOS violation info

Yes...that explains it alright. Anyway my point was; the night before you knew your next day was likely going to be a cluster. As a result I would have lined-up parking places along the route of delivery (after your live load in MA) that were something other than truck stops due to the time of day you would be finished at the shipper in MA. Walmart and Home Depot are always good places to start...

G-Town- When you are talking about places to park for the night like Walmart or Home Depot, do you need to get permission to park at these places from someone? Do you tell your dispatcher if you are parked other then at a Truck Stop (business, customer, rest area)? I have noticed that there are usually 1-3 trucks parked overnight each night in a shopping near my house ( there are currently no businesses leasing the end where they park)

Trucker Facebook Group

Thank you OS, I found it! CM thank you for the FB group tips . I found another one, Cooking Healthy on the Truck. I am definitely not interested in negative groups and people who moan and groan. I will be a few months wrapping up some details with my farm before I can go away for school, so I am trying to learn as much as I can about the lifestyle (as well as studying) in the meantime.